Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2, Discussion 3: High Expectations and High Warmth

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

Congrats! You made it the second course in the LDP! In this course, we focus on the specific interpersonal skills needed to be a strong leader on 7 Cups, including mastery of communication skills, time management, conflict resolution, stress management and empowering new leaders.

I know if you are here, you have read our values and culture guide. I would like to start off by further emphasizing one value that's required for a leader to be successful here, and that is balancing High Expectations & High Warmth.

Work environments with high expectations and minimal warmth tend to result in companies that are very driven, rule-oriented and risk-averse. The people do not tend to grow as much personally or professionally. On the other hand, workplaces that are high in warmth, but have minimal expectations, tend to struggle. Everyone is happy and feels loved, but not a lot of effective or focused work gets done.

7 Cups is high expectations AND high warmth. We expect a lot from you. You might feel like we think you are more capable than other people have suggested or maybe even more capable than how you see yourself. That is okay. Every person on the team has outperformed and done better than they expected. This is largely because warmth, patience, and trust help people make much more progress than they have in other environments. We have high expectations, but we will provide plenty of encouragement and guidance to help you get there.

IFSmhW-7tJ06jVSSFjPpU6lBPHgstJGuSzOb1EwhlxL5PBl10BLdAQZnpz-LE1DH39mQ3_FlE43R2Mp6xB-EGhQjznBVfzds48MntP61npXSO1PD0l_bDlYaJVlid5dF1RIwA8sGML45k5fK2MeEmMA

✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

TabbyCat97 June 4th, 2023

@MagnificentSunrise

This is really awesome Sunrise, I love your response and agree :) ♡

GermanZebraCupcake May 22nd, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

If I have an imbalance of expectations and warmth, the vibe of everything will be off and it just won't function well - for myself, the people under my care, or the org itself.

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

If I have High Expectations, Low Warmth in the way I approach people, it will cause very fast rates of burn-out within the organization and increase stress for all involved. If I have Low Expectations, High Warmth then while it's stress-free for those directly under my care, it can cause a ripple effect. People will not do much of anything without guidance and that's not actually the kind thing to do. The members are counting on us, for one, and for two, those directly under our care won't know what they're capable of doing.

Nvlmi May 22nd, 2023

I think if I had an imbalance in expectations and warmth then morale, quality performance, productivity, efficiency and further would also be affected.

1) To have too low of expectations and too little of warmth in the community wouldn't uphold a higher purpose or mission and goal objectives. There would be lack of clear directives and accountability. Additionally people might feel disregarded or unsupported in communal projects and more.

2) The impact with fellow leaders might suffer in aspects that were also addressed in 1) additionally resources may not be shared appropriately in order to create better outcomes and solutions overall

MaggieListens00 June 13th, 2023

@Nvlmi

Thank you for your insights, I look forward to reading more!

Cynthialy July 2nd

@Nvlmi totally agree!

SnowTabby May 30th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub
If a 7cups leader has an imbalance of expectations and warmth it can either be detrimental to the environment for listeners which indirectly impacts members comfort reaching out as well as success in listening to those who do feel comfortable with a listener that answers OR it can create an environment that is too warm, too friendly, with no expectations of growth/responsibility or proper culture and etiquette. Either way, the leader provides a harsh environment ill prepared for active listening. There needs to be kindness and realness to create warmth. There needs to be dedication, confidence, and motivation to create expectations. Neither of those can be communicated down the grapevine without a balance.

By chance someone is too warm and creates a harsh environment, it could cause more logical responses, possibly lazy or uncaring responses, as there is no reason for expectations to be met. If someone has too low of expectations, my work with fellow leaders will become too understanding and disrespect would be tolerated.

TabbyCat97 June 4th, 2023

High Expectations, Low Warmth: If a 7cups leader has high expectations but lacks warmth, they may come across as cold, distant, or even judgmental. This can create a sense of unease or discomfort for the individuals seeking support, or people on the team they lead. They may feel less inclined to open up or share their struggles due to fear of being criticized or misunderstood, or they may feek unable to reach of for help if theyre stuck on something. It can hinder the formation of a safe and trusting environment, which is crucial for effective emotional support to members and leading a team, working together.

Low Expectations, High Warmth: On the other hand, if a leader is warm but has low expectations, they may provide a comforting and empathetic environment, but their ability to guide and support individuals effectively may be compromised. They may not push individuals to explore deeper issues or work towards their goals, which can result in a lack of progress or personal development. While warmth is important, striking a balance with appropriate expectations is crucial for providing meaningful support. :) ♡

Low expectations: Having too low of expectations within the community might result in a lack of accountability and motivation. If there are minimal standards or goals set, people/listeners may not feel challenged to grow or improve. It could lead to a community where individuals don't strive for personal development or offer effective support.

Little warmth: Insufficient warmth within the community may create a cold and unwelcoming atmosphere. People seeking support might not feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and emotions, fearing judgment or lack of understanding. This can hinder the sense of belonging and trust, limiting engagement and the overall effectiveness of the community as a support system, and people may stop working as well together, as a team.

4Jasmine February 29th

@TabbyCat97

I appreciate your detailed reasons why too little of one or the other lacks necessary balance. Great job! 

AnnaSilverberg June 8th, 2023
@FrenchToastClub

If I as a leader were like that, the effects it would have on my team is that they would perhaps be very driven and they would stick to the rules and be afraid to take any risks at all.
That would be a work environment that wouldn't flourish and I can't imagine that it would be an environment that people would feel comfortable in.

And it would also hinder my team mates from growing in their roles and from seeking out support when they're facing struggles. Which is not good, because that creates negative feelings of isolation.

1. It would impact the community in a way that the team would not be putting in the best work they could be doing, that would show in the quality of every project that is done for the community. And having too little warmth would have very negative effects as it would create the possibility of a negative environment and that would hinder the growth of the community.

2. It would create problems in miscommunication, quality issues with projects, there would be lack of support and people would feel more isolated in the work they are doing.
There would be a lot of negative effects that can truly be avoided.
✨💙✨

MaggieListens00 June 13th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I believe through an imbalance, you risk the integrity of your mission. In the case of 7Cups, high warmth, low expectations would promote a culture with lower rates of burnout and more support however we would lack the drive and goals to achieve the mission. As a leader, having high expectations and a low amount of warmth would likely lead to higher burnout as there would be less support and comradery whilst still expecting a high level of attainment.

In the community, I believe having an imbalance would lead to a poorer outcome for the members we serve here. We need the warmth to cultivate the culture we aim to achieve at 7Cups and also the expectations to drive us to achieve the highest levels of care. As for fellow leaders, we need that high level of warmth to facilitate people in reaching out for help when needed and feeling supported whilst the high expectation is necessary to ensure everyone is orientated on improvement of the community as well as working synchronously as a team.

warmheartedCamp3360 August 5th, 2023

@charmingEagle47

That's insightful eagle !! All da best for the journey!

betty212 August 8th, 2023

@charmingEagle47 Awesome examples! :DD

lovelyApple6441 August 17th, 2023

@charmingEagle47 absolutely, loved your point about achieving the highest levels of care possible while also taking care of yourself

Jenna June 30th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

If I have an imbalance of expectation and warmth then I wouldn't be very supportive, understanding, or deligating responsibilities correctly. I would either be taking on the work or someone else would be taking on all the work. There would not be any proper communication through the team, and people would lack in their roles if they didn't have someone to back them up and support them.

Without expectations or warmth, the communities morale would drop significantly. People wouldn't care anymore and would abandon roles and projects and things would probably end up not running.

CharlieDont37 July 5th, 2023

@Jenna

These answers seem to perfectly state the ramifications of expectations that are too low and the lack of warmth. Thank you for stating this so clearly.

DisLifeNot August 1st, 2023

@Jenna Great answer!

Rivelino3 July 4th, 2023

An imbalance of high expectations with low warmth or low expectations and high warmth or both being too low or too high can be damaging, just like many or most things in life. Simple fact being, balance is the key, even too much of balance can be bad.

Too low expectations and low warmth would be catastrophic and won't help us build a future worth living in, where there is no kindness and nor a goal to reach or strive to reach to.

Jenna July 6th, 2023

@Rivelino3

I agree with what you say about "balance is key". This is so true, having the balance between these two would benefit a company's morale, work ethic, etc.

CharlieDont37 July 5th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I suppose some may prefer high expectations and low warmth. That feels sorrowful to me putting not only this person, but all those who might work together or act together. High expectations and high warmth seems the most productive in normal day-to-day living.

While High and High might seem out of balance No Ying but Plenty of Yang. Low expectations seems that the mindset might foster a lack of personal growth and too little warmth would seem too mechanistic. I do not want to live there in that environment.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Gilbird July 16th, 2023

@CharlieDont37

I find it interesting how you compare it to yin and yang. I agree that personal growth cannot thrive without both warmth and expectations

Mahad2804 July 12th, 2023

As a leader, I have a responsibility not just to my tasks or area of work but also to the people who are within that scope of work.

Their well-being, their capability to do their work, the efficacy of their work, and the amount of pressure being put on them is all something in my purview and therefore, my responsibility.

The balance of expectations and warmth is critical to this task of leadership.

If either factor exceeds the other, the efficiency of the team drops.

High expectations and low warmth leads to discouragement, frustration, dissatisfaction, and burnout in the team.

Similarly, low expectations and high warmth leads to minimal work output, decreased efficiency, and depreciating progress.

Neither is particularly favorable for a team.

Building upon the previous points, too low expectations will lead to your team members having significant self-doubt as they see their peers in other teams making more progress than them.

They will also be ill-equipped to handle the pace or work pressure if they end up shifting to another team after that.

It will also have a negative impact on the overall community as the vacuum created by the lack of output from your team grows.

It might have to be filled by fellow leaders or other teams which would hurt relations between you and them.

Too low warmth, on the other hand, would make a different kind of negative impact.

It would result in your team members burning out often and your team running through a lot more people than usual.

You would start losing people from your team ergo, again getting to a lack of efficiency and work output.
RosaHere July 18th, 2023

@Mahad2804 That's quite insightful. Love your answer!

beck1 July 12th, 2023

What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

As a leader, we should maintain a balance of expectations we have for our team while also creating a "warm" environment. If we have a higher expectation but just barking orders at our teams, with no encouragement, this is going to discourage those on the team from pursuing higher leadership positions in the team or from even wanting to be on the team itself.

How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

The Community:

If we have little warmth, the community as a whole will suffer. We should be the biggest cheerleaders for our peers and our teams. When we are not, it's easy for people to become very discouraged and they may, ultimately, decide to leave Cups... This would of course impact the community because we would lose an amazing Listener!

Having low expectations for the community as a whole isn't great because we would not be encouraging anyone to grow into leadership positions or anything higher than the "listener" role.

Fellow Leaders:

Other leaders need encouragement just as much as anyone else on the team. They often have a lot of responsibility and it doesn't take a second to send a message of appreciation! When we don't, this can make our leaders feel like they are not appreciated and they may start to become less interested in the role itself.

Mahad2804 July 13th, 2023

@beck1 that's such a well rounded answer!

Your experience and knowledge really shows in your answers.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Gilbird July 16th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

Having been in a company where my leaders would project warmth without actually having it while not clearly communicating expectations, I have firsthand seen the disastrous results that ensure. Having that imbalance here on 7 cups would be very damaging in part due to the nature of 7 cups. A lack of warmth would discourage others on my team, degrade their self-confidence, and make tasks seem like chores due to 7 Cups' voluntary nature. A lack of expectations would negatively impact the support community, result in poor listener quality, and turn away those who turned to 7 cups at a time of need.

This would always impact my work with fellow leaders, as it would be difficult to function as a team (low warmth) and to truly feel comfortable sharing feedback (low expectations).

RosaHere July 18th, 2023

It is critical to strike a balance between expectations and warmth. If there is an imbalance, the team will not be able to do as much as it is capable of, and a lack of warmth will create an uneasy environment, affecting job quality. Moreover, team members will not feel comfortable approaching each other or their leader if they require assistance.

1. The community will not grow significantly, and kindness among members will be uncommon.
2. Leaders will not be enthusiastic or productive. It will be difficult to approach them due to their lack of warmth. Working together will get more complicated.
LoveMyMoonflowers September 20th, 2023

@RosaHere

I love your answer! 💜

DisLifeNot August 1st, 2023

@FrenchToastClub Thank you for your post!

It reflects on the community. It damages productivity and trust

How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

Workplaces with high expectations but little warmth tend to be driven, rule-focused, and risk-averse. However, personal and professional growth is limited for the employees. On the other hand, workplaces with warmth and positivity, but low expectations, struggle to get work done efficiently and stay focused. Employees may feel happy and appreciated, but the effectiveness of their work may suffer.

betty212 August 3rd, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

If I have high expectations & low warmth: The team members feel constricted with tasks and deadlines They feel that their feelings are neglected Burning out, being stressed, overwhelmed, health complications If I have low expectations & high warmth: People will feel welcomed, but they might not focus on their tasks They will become too comfortable

warmheartedCamp3360 August 5th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

1. Imbalance of expectations and warmth could lead to

• Less productivity
  • Unfriendly environment
  • Less efficient
  • Stress and burnouts
  • Dissatisfaction

2. It could affect the

• Community by producing less efficient results and might hamper its growth.
  • Teammates by leading to either stressful or unsatisfactory work environment.

betty212 August 8th, 2023

@FrenchToastClubWhat do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

If I have high expectations & low warmth: The team members feel constricted with tasks and deadlines They feel that their feelings are neglected Burning out, being stressed, overwhelmed, health complications If I have low expectations & high warmth: People will feel welcomed, but they might not focus on their tasks They will become too comfortable ✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders? If I have low warmth, people might not come to me for support, and I will be harder to work with.If have low expectations, it will be harder for me to complete tasks on time, and thus lag behind others in the community

Artalistens August 9th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

another amazing post to think about!

1. I think having an imbalance of expectations and warmth can cause a variety of issues we want to make sure that as a leader, we are in providing a warm and welcoming place for people to share what’s on their mind if we don’t, that can lead to trust issues, but it can also lead others to thinking that you’re unprofessional, which makes them think that you’re not going to be a good fit for them or are you makes others be leery of your leader ship skills because if you’re not creating that space in which they feel safe they may question your ability to take charge and be a leader. Having high expectations is also important for both of you as the leader and for members that use the site as well having low expectations for yourself might portray that you’re not going to have the effective leadership skills, it also can portray that you don’t enjoy what you’re doing, you’re making it a chore not something that you’re doing with your heart.
  2. having low warmth, can have an impact on the community. If you come into work, or a volunteer experience, and you look unprofessional, look very bored and miserable, and you do not greet people or have a smile on your face that affects the general public. Good leaders portray smiles, they introduce themselves and be a familiar face having low expectations for yourself can do the same thing, if you go into work and you say that you’re gonna do the bare minimum chances are you’re not going to be in affective leader that day however, if you go into work with the list of task and you complete them that shows that you are resilient and a fantastic leader. If you have low warmth or expectations for yourself, it can also affect your coworkers or fellow leaders. If you go into an opportunity with low energy, you look very miserable and don’t have a smile on your face then your leaders aren’t going to want to ask you for help or want you to contribute your ideas. if you have low expectations for yourself, that can be very upsetting to coworkers or leaders because they trust you and they want your help with things and if you go and only caring about yourself and only expecting to do tasks the way that you want them done they are not going to want to ask for your assistance
LightsFromDark September 6th, 2023

@Artalistens What a beautiful answer! It's fun to read

lovelyApple6441 August 17th, 2023

@FrenchToast

An imbalance of expectations and warmth can result in reduced efficiency and productivity due to the lack of emotional support or the lack of professional support.

Having too low of expectations would result in a community that accepts any behavior and any mindset, regardless of how it impacts others (eg. allowing people to not do their fair share as long as they have an excuse for it). It would also impact how you work with fellow leaders because it would pull away focus from things that need to be accomplished and reduce the productivity. Having too little warmth would result in a community that invalidates others' emotions and struggles, and lacks compassion and understanding. This would impact how you work with fellow leaders because it would result in burnout and an unhealthy work environment.

pandanfe August 29th, 2023

@lovelyApple6441

In this case, people would be demotivated to join in cups and it would be only left with limited members. Also the remaining member may not fully benefit from the support available.

pandanfe August 29th, 2023

@FrenchToast

I suppose that having imbalance expectations and warmth here in cups may result in minimal or excessive empathy, compassion and support that one deserves. However, the sessions may lack proper directions.

1) Impact on the community
The community having too low expectations, or too little warmth can be demotivating, and environment wouldn't feel welcoming discouraging members to open up.

2) Impact on how you work with your fellow leaders
Leaders won't be able to bring in creativity or be productive while working with others. Uncooperative environments and trust issues would be built among the leaders.

LightsFromDark September 3rd, 2023

In my opinion, if I don't have a balance between high expectations and warmth, what will happen is this: a. If I don't have high views, my team will have nowhere to aspire. B. If I'm not warm, my team will feel unappreciated, unhelpful, etc. Low expectancies will affect the community in that they will have nowhere to aspire and then the level will inevitably drop. This can make people shrink their heads and try to work as little as possible. Too little heat causes burnout. And makes the people I'm with not want to work with me or makes them feel like slaves.

LOOPHOLE September 7th, 2023

@FrenchToast

A leader is a person with responsibility and someone who people look upto . So if a leader who is unable to create a balance between expectations and warmth will not only a low productivity in the community but weak bonding structure.

1) Low expectations brings low productivity , complacency, low efforts and little warmth brings less motivation, self development.

2) I think we leaders are like a bouquet of flowers so if one of us fails to create an imbalance in the expectations and warmth might look like a dead flowers and the whole bouquet will lose its beauty and color.

@ Frenchtoast

Amazing and informative post.

LoveMyMoonflowers September 20th, 2023

I think if a leader had high expectations but low warmth, they would create an unsupportive environment for everyone else. They would expect much of others, but they wouldn’t try to support them or create a warm environment where they can improve. This would probably create burnout, because everyone’s expected to do very well, but they are not encouraged or supported. A leader lacking in warmth may also appear as rude or too demanding. I think this would cause those around them to resent them as well.

I believe if we had too low of expectations, leaders here would not be encouraged to improve. People might be inclined to neglect their duties as leaders, and we would not grow as a community. There would be little personal development as well. This would impact how we work with our fellow leaders in that we would not help each other get better, because not much would be expected of us. On the other hand, if our community lacked warmth, members would not feel free to talk about how they feel or what they think. They might fear being judged or misunderstood, since the environment just wouldn’t feel warm or supportive enough. I think if the community lacked warmth, as an emotional support platform, we would not be providing true emotional support.
bestBraveheart57 October 10th, 2023

@LoveMyMoonflowers

Hi, Moon. I want to quote the last sentence because it is true. We are all here for getting support and offering support for one another.

"I think if the community lacked warmth, as an emotional support platform, we would not be providing true emotional support."