Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2, Discussion 2: Lead by example

Hope December 5th, 2022

Great Leadership, unsurprisingly, starts with yourself!

Practice what you preach. Lead by example. I am sure all of you heard these phrases. But why are they so iconic?

Because the journey starts with the first step and you are the person who is taking the initiative to lead -- Start a journey! So, you are the one who needs to take the first step before expecting others to do it.

To start with leading yourself, close your eyes and visualize two people: someone who inspired and encouraged you to be like them, and someone who discouraged you to be not like them.

Then, write down the good qualities of the person who inspired you as well as the qualities of the second person. You do not have to be specific with the details. Just a bulleted list.

Now, compare the list to yourself. Note the good qualities you have, the bad qualities you have, and give yourself a rating on a scale of 1-10. What we just did is identified your strengths and weaknesses and what you need in order to lead yourself. This allows you to create self-awareness.

Self-awareness is key to leading yourself in the right direction. But, leading yourself is not easy. Just being self-aware isn't enough. It's igniting the spark but not enough to catch the fire. To catch the fire, you need to be persistent with your practice, which is regular reflection. Be consistent with monitoring your efforts and holding yourself accountable.

You can't effectively lead others until you know how to lead yourself. That happens through Self-Observant Leadership: when you deeply understand your identity, compare it to your reputation (how others experience you) and then make meaning of the observations, and choose to adapt.

Exercise:

✒️ What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise?

✒️ Respond to one of your peers in this thread

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

JustSophia February 28th

I've always recognized that I have high hopes, high aspirations, high expectations, high standards.  That comes from one of the people I thought about (I had two people in mind as people I've tried to be like). However, it helped me to reflect on the other person who has inspired me.  I realized that she not only had the above, but she also offered those things along with enormous emotional warmth and support and patience, as well as ability to inspire.  The third person I thought about - the person I do not want to be like at all, had some of those first traits I mentioned, like high standards and expectations.  He made those things a very negative example, though, with things like harsh criticism and lack of patience or tolerance. 

These things are a lesson to me because it makes me realize that it's possible to embody so many traits in a positive way, and that I don't have to separate high hopes and standards from emotional warmth and support.  However, it also makes me realize how negative some of these traits can become when they *are* isolated.  These are all things I need to cultivate awareness about.

TheOnlyChresser March 8th

@JustSophia Your are really good at writing to be honest :). It looks like all your messages are well written at least those ive seen :D.

JustSophia March 11th

@TheOnlyChresser

Thank you so much.  That compliment really means a lot to me.  

sky2Ocean20 March 6th

@Hope

Being self-aware is the key to finding our strengths and weaknesses. we can let go of the things that don't serve us and build the qualities we like to have as leaders. that's the power of being self-aware. This is the thing I learned from the given exercise. 

Ivy229 May 23rd

@sky2Ocean20

I agree being self-aware as leader is critical to be as effective as possible. Good job pointing it out, because I didn't even this about this during the exercise :)

patientShell1003 June 24th

@sky2Ocean20 You are a good leader.

March 8th

@Hope

I learned that it's important to care about yourself first and love yourself first cause how you give love and care to others if you are not applying that on yourself 

Renjik8013 March 29th

@brightLynx1428

Hi, thanks for sharing your insights and I agree with you that loving yourself is an important part of our journey!

TheOnlyChresser March 8th

✒️ What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise?

I really wanted to learn something new and to be honest i dont feel like i did :(

PetiteSouris March 10th

@Hope @yourbuddy30

What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise? I learnt the importance of humility, supporting the vision of a project/team/company, and following through with an idea to completion as a leader. I learnt that I can implement these lessons while leading in an organization and for my personal life. 

❃ Respond to one of your peers in this thread. Hey, I like how you gave yourself a score based off the qualities you admire and dislike in people you know. Self-reflection is important for us to grow as leaders and I want to commend yo for using it in your answer. @mitanshi003

✨✯❥❥❀♡❀❥❥✯✨

daydreammemories March 12th

@Hope

Hi : )

my strengths and weaknesses, and how to improve myself towards becoming a better leader

Renjik8013 March 29th

This exercise has allowed me to reflect on my strengths and weaknesses, and to acknowledge that self-reflection is important to being a leader. 

Mik00l April 11th

@Renjik8013
It's great to hear that you found value in this exercise! Self-reflection is indeed crucial for leadership as it helps you understand your strengths to leverage and weaknesses to improve upon, leading to personal and professional growth. Keep up the insightful introspection!

Mik00l April 11th

@Hope
what i learned:
I've learned to strive for excellence as a leader, keeping an open mind and welcoming suggestions for improvement, recognizing that learning and receiving feedback are invaluable for growth, and valuing care and kindness for everyone.
what i would like to learn in the future:
Solving problems, staying positive and hyping up the team, supporting everyone equally without playing favorites, thinking creatively and outside the box, showing love and care for everyone, sticking to the rules while giving second chances, remembering we're all learning on this journey.

@Hope I learned that i need to be able to be my own leader first, before trying to actually lead anyone. I need to have the belief in myself that i can rely on myself so that others will be able to too.

whimsicalCloud4661 June 18th

@gloomySunshine4673 yeah I think we are facing similar issues

Ivy229 May 23rd

@Hope

One of the things I found interesting about this video was how many things I relate to as a leader that were mentioned in the How To Effectively Lead By Example: 'To Do' List. Especially when it comes to support your team, be early (no on-time), and attention to detail. I also find it interesting as a person I do these things not just as a leader.

KristenHR May 30th

@Ivy229

I agree with these things.  I thought the video was a great example of things as a leader, and loving lists, and how she highlighted the things about leaders in lists.

KristenHR May 30th

@Hope

What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise?

The person I looked up to was one of my professors, and she encouraged me to be a professional.  She encouraged me to network with professionals, to get an advanced degree, and to use my writing to move me forward in my career.  She encouraged me when I didn't feel capable.

I learned I was a strong writer, I have good organization skills, am creative, and good with people. 

As I've never had anyone tell me not to be like them, but I was told to not be like a family member because of her behavior.  As an adult, I know that they didn't like her because she had mental health problems.  I didn't know that as a child or teen, but I do now.  Remembering her now, I know she was a compassionate and loving woman.

whimsicalCloud4661 June 18th

@Hope 

I have a lot of the same issues my mom has ;_;

I am able to do a great work and listen to others people to find the right solution to problems. I think it is very important because I am able to cultivate good relationships too. 

whattospeak June 26th

@patientShell1003

No comments... Just supportive emojis 😎🦾🔔⭐

patientShell1003 June 26th

ð¦¾

Cynthialy July 2nd

@patientShell1003 those are such valuable qualities indeed

@sky2Ocean20 You are a good leader.

whattospeak June 26th

@Hope

I rarely show any leadership through my time growing and I will be blunt on that. That itself is what I am learning right now and I am glad to take these steps to lead myself before I lead others. Been too self-aware at times, not knowing what, where, or when to lead until joining this program. I believe, now, there is time for me to continue this exercise to become a better leader for myself.

Cynthialy July 2nd

@Hope I learned it´s important to keep seeking out of my comfort opportunities and practicing my public speaking skills. I learned that being caring and inspirational are skills I have that will support me and be beneficial in this journey

@Cynthialy

That's really wonderful and I agree that stepping out of your comfort zone is one of the key elements to start achieving something.

@Hope

Through this exercise, I realized how much my actions are influenced by the people I admire and those I don't. I found that the person who inspired me had qualities like empathy, resilience, and integrity, which I also see in myself. However, I also noticed some traits from the person who discouraged me, such as impatience and a tendency to be overly critical. This self-reflection helped me see my strengths more clearly and identify areas where I need to improve. By being aware of these aspects, I can work on becoming a better leader and stay committed to self-improvement.

Ivebutterfly July 11th

@wishfulForest1871 I am glad you have realised more on your weaknesses and your strengths are so good for being a leader. Well done! I'm glad you are committed to self-improvement and I am sure your work will lead to help 7cups.

Ivebutterfly July 11th

What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise?

I learnt that although I have some of the traits I like showing empathy and kindness and showing warmth to people that in high-stress positions I tend to get more bossy and more controlling sometimes more than I think I could be which is like the person I do not want to be. I think that it is important I become more self-aware of what I am doing during these times and to recognise the competence in my team rather than trying to project my own actions. As from someone who has been a member under that I know that it isn't the best for other people.

Hope this makes sense. :)

Damonchandio July 17th

@Ivebutterfly

That's amazing

Ivebutterfly July 17th

Thank you

Damonchandio July 17th

@Hope

I realized my strengths include empathy and motivation, like the person who inspired me. This reflection helps me see where I can grow and improve as a leader.

hirai111 July 26th

@Damonchandio

That's great! I'm glad you realized this.

hirai111 July 26th

@Hope

I learned about myself that I am an effective leader because I support my team a lot and I attend meetings with knowledge. Furthermore, I don’t take credit and issue blame to others.

Noor511 July 27th

@hirai111 am glad you were able to recognise your strength, those are great strength you have! 💙

Noor511 July 27th

@Hope

✒️ What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise? 

I was able to focus more on my weakness hopefully i will be able to improve myself soon , i learned that sometimes you gotta be the reflection for what you want others to be 

Alambo905 August 1st

@Noor511

Indeed actions speak louder than words!

Alambo905 August 1st

@Hope

As a kid, I often engaged in self-reflection, to better understand myself before my peers and elders. There have been times I've often debated between certain morals and values instilled in me and how good or bad I am according to those set standards. As I grew older my focus shifted to view it in a more mature light of the unique strengths and weakness I possess, and how to strengthen the former while learning and developing from the latter. Doing this exercise alongwith the source provided, helped me raise an internal awareness of myself as well as gain clarity on the to do and not to do elements impacting effective leadership.