Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2, Discussion 2: Lead by example

Hope December 5th, 2022

Great Leadership, unsurprisingly, starts with yourself!

Practice what you preach. Lead by example. I am sure all of you heard these phrases. But why are they so iconic?

Because the journey starts with the first step and you are the person who is taking the initiative to lead -- Start a journey! So, you are the one who needs to take the first step before expecting others to do it.

To start with leading yourself, close your eyes and visualize two people: someone who inspired and encouraged you to be like them, and someone who discouraged you to be not like them.

Then, write down the good qualities of the person who inspired you as well as the qualities of the second person. You do not have to be specific with the details. Just a bulleted list.

Now, compare the list to yourself. Note the good qualities you have, the bad qualities you have, and give yourself a rating on a scale of 1-10. What we just did is identified your strengths and weaknesses and what you need in order to lead yourself. This allows you to create self-awareness.

Self-awareness is key to leading yourself in the right direction. But, leading yourself is not easy. Just being self-aware isn't enough. It's igniting the spark but not enough to catch the fire. To catch the fire, you need to be persistent with your practice, which is regular reflection. Be consistent with monitoring your efforts and holding yourself accountable.

You can't effectively lead others until you know how to lead yourself. That happens through Self-Observant Leadership: when you deeply understand your identity, compare it to your reputation (how others experience you) and then make meaning of the observations, and choose to adapt.

Exercise:

✒️ What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise?

✒️ Respond to one of your peers in this thread

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

YourCaringConfidant February 16th, 2023

@iPHOENIX You are a phenomenal listener. I am so glad you know your strength! You will make an extraordinary leader and I wish you success in your life! Keep on being amazing!

Mitanshi003 February 19th, 2023

@iPHOENIX

Being an active listener and vulnerable are indeed signs of a leader hat has strong EQ 🍀

Mitanshi003 February 19th, 2023

@Hope

What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise?

The person who inspired and encouraged me to be like them:
  • Kind
  • Hard-working
  • Creative
  • Passionate
  • Empathetic
The person who discouraged me to be not like them:
  • Selfish
  • Dishonest
  • Arrogant
  • Lazy
  • Negative
Comparing these qualities to myself, I see that I possess some of the good qualities of the person who inspired me, such as being kind and hard-working, but I also have some of the bad qualities of the person who discouraged me, such as being negative at times. Based on my self-reflection, I would rate myself a 7 on a scale of 1-10.
FrenchMarbles February 21st, 2023

@Mitanshi003 I enjoyed reading this, you've put a lot of thought into this, and I'm excited to see how you progress within the course. You've got this!

Trintzu March 5th, 2023

@Mitanshi003 These are actually good points, well done!

FrenchMarbles February 21st, 2023

I watched the video; I enjoyed seeing the examples of things to do and not to do. 7Cups is a massive community filled with different types of leaders and admin, so it was interesting to see a combination of good and bad traits apparent in the leaders we have today. It made me reflect and think of leaders I have difficulty working alongside.; it was great to have that validated, especially when they don't "get the fact straight" and don't "follow-up and follow through" this is something I know I will need to work on myself to ensure I don't repeat the same behaviours.

(Constructive Feedback: @FrenchToastClub the video linked here does not have captions that discriminate against disabled people. Perhaps that could be something to explore to ensure the accessibility levels to ensure everyone can complete this course?)

EnigmaticCat24 February 25th, 2023

@FrenchMarble

Great answers! And i really appreciate how you care about others!

March 16th, 2023

@FrenchMarbles

I appreciate your constructive feedback about captions!

EnigmaticCat24 February 25th, 2023

@Hope

I learnt about what i like and dislike in a person and my own good and bad qualities!

AvyIsKing February 27th, 2023

@Tobedoctor

Great answer! i wish you all the best on your journey, both with LDP and irl <3

AvyIsKing February 27th, 2023

I learned that being a good and effective leader starts with leading myself. i cant lead others unless i lead myself.

Trintzu March 5th, 2023

@Hope

I think the most important thing was before you can start leading others, you need to start leading yourself. This is important because as a leader, you need to be strong in field you are in. You cannot teach others in topics, you are not yourself aware of.

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 9th, 2023

@Trintzu well said and good luck with ldp,

TabbyCat97 June 4th, 2023

@Trintzu

This is so true (: ♡ ^ a really important point

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 9th, 2023

I need to learn how to lead better before I can lead others.

vivelespatates March 11th, 2023

Know yourself is so important and some qualities makes us a good leader, and there may be other leaders with different quality, and working together we.

I seen people who encouraged me to be myself because we shared some values and were an inspiration for me. They led me to be more empathic and kind to myself. One was also very perseverant. I think its a quality that I built over time thanks to them, and is very useful to me.

I also seen people, at the opposite, that discouraged me, because they hurt people and i never wanted to be like them.

Being aware of my quality, know myself help me in my leadership roles.

JoyHappyNess March 13th, 2023

@vivelespatates

I think self-awareness and being oneself are important leadership skills Patates. This is because it connects with the inner empathy and kindness; helping the leader to treat others as if they were in their shoes.

KarmaTheRascal March 24th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess

I like this one alot. Self-awareness is very important. How we treat others kind of reflects how we treat ourselves.

JoyHappyNess March 13th, 2023

@Hope

The leader that I admire tends to give both positive and negative reviews. No man is perfect. I learnt that the reason why I fail as a leader is because I shy away from negative feedback. This leads to the team members lack of development because people grow from learning and correcting their mistakes.

beyoutofullkalon March 15th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess

Another insightful insight! This is something beautiful and I've learnt a lot from you so far :)

Smrtbibliophile May 12th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess

I agree - there can be a lot learned from failure and picking yourself back up again and figuring out what works. When you look at people who are really successful you see a great many times that they failed. I do think it's a delicate balance because if all you have to say to someone is negative you can crush their spirit, but I whole heartedly agree that the best leaders can deliver the good and the bad.

SnowTabby May 26th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess
You're approach to learning about yourself is beautiful and kind. It helped me realize I put my good characteristics forward harshly. I think it is a great thing there's always someone to balance out the harshness.

FeureVox March 14th, 2023

What did you learn about yourself through the given exercise?

I asked them the same question as my acquaintances, and they shared the following feedback:

Managing team with good managerial skills

Hardworking, Dedicated to work, Honest

Team man

beyoutofullkalon March 15th, 2023

@Hope

This year I had one of the best leadership experiences that I could ask for- but while we did achieve an unthinkable goal, I did realise I was lagging in certain aspects. For example, my anxiety often led to some rash decisions and I need to work on keeping it in check. I also had this habit of bottling up corrections in order to not appear "too bossy," but my goal now will be to focus on being assertive and to focus on creating a balance between being assertive and being dominating.

GermanZebraCupcake May 22nd, 2023

@beyoutofullkalon

I love that you recognized that you're a work in progress (as we all are! you're definitely not alone in this!) and I just appreciated your honesty too. By being open with ourselves, we can open the door to improvement - upwards and onwards, right? :D

Nvlmi May 22nd, 2023

I hope your able to address your anxiety in ways that are healthy and sustaining. Many deal in that including myself at times, so I can relate. Offering corrections as appropriate when it's needed or asked is understandable and even valuable and may not be seen as bossy in all cases.

Sometimes bossy is when it's spoken with a condescension, pushiness, or a disregard for others contributions etc in ways that may not be appreciated. This can also be improved through better communication skills that render consideration and care toward your coworkers.

March 16th, 2023

From this exercise, I learnt the following:

The qualities in the person that encouraged me to be a leader like them:

• High empathy (EQ)
  • Good and strong commitment
  • Ability to bring together people
  • Motivation
  • Time management

The qualities in the person the discouraged me from becoming a leader like them:

• Lack of concern about others' feelings
  • Critical
  • Lack of discipline
  • Putting more workload on others
  • Not concerned about time

So, I realize that I possess two of the qualities from the second list 😅

I'll give myself a rating of 6.5 out of 10

April 25th, 2023

@charmingFlower8111

I'm glad you recognize areas you need to work on to improve your effectiveness in leadership! I think I have 2 traits from the second list as well.

gsp-banner_1682444246.png

KarmaTheRascal March 24th, 2023

A: I learned about myself is that I always put others first before myself. How can I lead others if I can't even lead myself? I can lead myself but I'm always putting others before myself.

calmingsun111 March 25th, 2023

@KarmaTheRascal I completely agree, majority of time I do it,too. But self reflection and self awareness helps a lot. Also breathing helps me! :)

I hope you will be sucessful on your way. :)

Have an amazing day! Sun xx

CurrySoup12 March 27th, 2023

@calmingsun111

Breathing is important :D Especially fresh air

Rubylistens22 April 17th, 2023

@KarmaTheRascal

I think this is such a great answer:)

calmingsun111 March 25th, 2023

@Hope I learned about myself that I don't need to be harsh or rude to be a leader. I can be straightforward but at the same time, kind.

I don't need to brag about things that I have done succesfully since it does not support my team. I can bring my team on a journey and we can work together so we can share happy and succesful moments together and - talk about them. :)

And many more... but it would be a long post! haha!

Thanks for this, really helpful :)

CurrySoup12 March 27th, 2023

@Hope

I Loved the statement: "Don't take credit, then issue blame". Sometimes I forget this. As a leader, we should be included in the project ourselves and take equal blame for failures. We should also give credit where credit is due. I try to live by this, but sometimes I forget. It's a good reminder.

zaatarHoney April 13th, 2023

@CurrySoup12

This part stood out to me too. I appreciated your reflection about it and hearing about how it impacted you. ^—^

ItsMrEnigma March 27th, 2023

@Hope

This exercise has made me realise the importance of self reflection and that at times we should take a step back into thinking of our achievements and goals in order to move forward. I found this exercise especially useful when I struggled to be motivated!

RainbowRosie April 10th, 2023

@Hope

Exercise:

🌹 I learned that I must have more confidence in my abilities and to continue pushing forward and learning as I go along. This development will help me grow and empower more people by understanding and sharing the same values.

🌹 The exercise has also made me realise the importance of self reflection. Very useful exercise.

Heart4art April 13th, 2023

@RainbowRosie I agree self-reflection is so important.

Heart4art April 13th, 2023

@Hope I realized there was definitely one person that influenced me a lot. I even went on to get similar degrees as them.

zaatarHoney April 13th, 2023

@Hope

I learned that I feel like I learned more how to be a leader by experiencing, so frequently, what a leader is not— working for those who took credit but never accountability, or who took credit and showed zero appreciation for the team that made it happen, etc. But I did take away that it’s important to be early, not just on time, as it’s important to be prepared for meetings— so that they have structure, an overall objective, that is clear, concise and helpful.

Gottie!