Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 1, Discussion 3: Avoiding Burnout

Hope December 5th, 2022

7 Cups is founded on a community of passionate volunteers who lovingly dedicate their time to providing support.

You may face what is called burnout during your journey. You may have already faced this in your real life. Burnout is very real and must be recognized. You can't help fuel someone else when your tank is empty, after all!

Fk1xOHblkm3KQh9FyFaWOO-1omw12ML-tVp1Z65norZNGhuxnqYdDKvdLd8QCpvP7YL7QXw6PHnRFFztj_552GD9V6HAYE3OtyEiwr4wY4LXVBhBpZII2mlee4HhSoXRSa_p6937nSoqyvHCx-MZ5Yu_dqzBDvKo0sLSKmoulMtcLoNwiBb0DikQgEo7Fw

View picture source here

To address and learn about burnout, we have created a slidedeck on how to avoid burnout.

✒️ We also recommend this growth path on preventing burnout at 7 Cups.

✒️ Activity: Take 5 steps on the burnout prevention path linked above. Post in this thread to let us know you have completed at least 5 steps.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! tinyurl.com/Course1Discussion4

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

FrenchMarbles February 20th, 2023

@Tobedoctor Great to hear you did the tasks, best of luck with the program!

FrenchMarbles February 20th, 2023

@Hope

As someone who has been here for a considerable amount of years, I've experienced burnout, which is accurate. I won't go into detail about myself but it can be straightforward to enjoy a specific role and want to do the best you can by doing an excessive amount of tasks. While it is excellent that the passion is there, you need to ensure you're doing not too much; otherwise, you'll end up feeling burnt out.

My experience with being burnt out was when I returned from a break on 7Cups. I wanted to prove to myself and the community that I was a great role model so that I would take on a lot of roles. Then I would feel the pressure and it would impact me to the point I would feel that affect me in real life, and I would feel hatred towards the website, but then I realised it was just because I was doing it to myself.

Once I adjusted my roles to my liking, I found that 7Cups was great; I didn't feel pressured by the quotas and could achieve them without having to do more hours. I can recognise when I am burnt out and address this by going to the gym or swimming.

broadfemmelovelive April 4th, 2023

@FrenchMarbles

Thank you for your transparency. I wanted to write more about this, and when I saw your response, I was encouraged that I wasn't alone. 7 Cups didn't burn me out, but at my previous job, I had total burnout. It's so great to have this community that helps you learn the skill of preventing burnout :)

Trintzu March 3rd, 2023

@Hope I have done 5 steps

calmingsun111 March 5th, 2023

@Hope Hey hey :) Did 5 steps, and actually realized that I should really slow down.

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 6th, 2023

@calmingsun111

thats a good thing to realize that you need to slow down. Good luck with the ldp.

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 6th, 2023

Done 5 steps. I hope this can better help me know when I need to do self care.

vivelespatates March 7th, 2023

@harmonyLearninghope Good job! Self care is great and important! We want keep you for a long time ! :)

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 8th, 2023

@harmonyLearninghope

ion my second try I got 6/6 on the burn out test

Boundaries are so important! When I started on 7cups I was struggling with it. Luckily there was great mentors to teach me about it and preventing burnout!

I completed the 5 first steps of this path by the way ;)

Nvlmi May 15th, 2023

🌻@vivelespatates

That is true and alot of us go through this as well. It is necessary to establish and maintain needed boundaries especially in this facet.

@Hope Additionally I got 6/6 at the "Preventing Burnout at 7 Cups Path Quiz"

March 9th, 2023

@Hope

As someone who has experienced burnout before, I now know the tell tale signs of an impending burnout. Additionally, the burnout slide deck was very informative.

As the burnout path was very interesting, I completed 11 steps on it.

beyoutofullkalon March 11th, 2023

@charmingFlower8111

I'm glad you found this fruitful! I share similar experience :)

CurrySoup12 March 22nd, 2023

@charmingFlower8111 Wow, great job!

beyoutofullkalon March 11th, 2023

@Hope

The PPT was extremely informative. The Path has helped me tremendously so far and I have saved it for further and future use ( Completed 7 steps currently :) )

JoyHappyNess March 12th, 2023

@beyoutofullkalon

Wise decision kalon... It's a must have path to save, follow and frequently refer to.

Littlefairy28 May 11th, 2023

@beyoutofullkalon

Good job

JoyHappyNess March 12th, 2023

@Hope

What stood out was how it is important to communicate and seek support. Also saying no a hundred times is better than ghosting or getting out of unfinished roles.

I have completed all the steps on how to prevent burnouts but it's only because I couldn't stop in the middle. It was very informative. You know those paths that you are led to follow then you realized you needed to follow in order to grow. This path was just that.

Heart4art April 12th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess I agree that was a good point about saying no!

FeureVox March 14th, 2023

@Hope

Thank you very much for compiling such a comprehensive learning platform, which not just helps on 7cups but can also help in everyday life for better self-care.

CurrySoup12 March 22nd, 2023

@Hope I have completed the steps!

KarmaTheRascal March 24th, 2023

I ended up completing this path a while ago, not even realizing it was gonna be on the leadership development course. <3

ItsMrEnigma March 27th, 2023

@Hope

I have completed the path!

spedolivia April 13th, 2023

@ItsMrEnigma

💪

RainbowRosie March 30th, 2023

@Hope

I have completed the steps. I echo kalon’s response and that I too will save it for future use.

Being someone who has experienced burnout…It will prove very useful indeed. Thank you!

🌹

broadfemmelovelive April 4th, 2023

I completed more than five steps of the burnout path; in fairness, it was a review as I had previously completed it. I was reminded that I am doing the right things by taking frequent breaks, prioritizing my health, setting clear boundaries, reevaluating regularly and doing self-care to fill up my cup :)

Rubylistens22 April 4th, 2023

@broadfemmelovelive

i think it’s awesome that you’re taking these steps to take care of yourself and prevent burnout:)

Rubylistens22 April 4th, 2023

i took the steps on the path! I’m actually choosing this as my elective so it’s perfect:)

SnowTabby May 18th, 2023

@Rubylistens22
I completely forgot finishing this path was an elective but after reading through and getting to the responses, I think it is an interesting opportunity to become familiar with burnout. If only to be able to put together a weekly preventative set of tasks to keep burnout at bay for myself.

Heart4art April 12th, 2023

@Hope. That was really informative! I'm always trying to understand the difference between stress and burnout better.

April 21st, 2023

@Heart4art

Stress and burnout are related, but they are not the same thing. Stress is a natural reaction to a challenging situation, and it can be helpful in motivating us to achieve our goals. Burnout, however, is a state of being physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted that comes from experiencing chronic or long-lasting stress.

To put it simply, stress is something that happens to us, while burnout is something that happens within us. Stress can be managed with healthy coping mechanisms, but burnout often requires more significant changes to our lifestyle or work environment to restore balance.

Recognizing the signs of stress and burnout and taking proactive steps to manage stress and prevent burnout can help us maintain a healthy balance in our lives. This might include prioritizing self-care, setting healthy boundaries, and seeking support when needed.

gsp-banner_1682108440.png

GermanZebraCupcake May 3rd, 2023

@richuyulin

I really enjoyed the clarity and insight you provided here. I also was previously using stress and burnout interchangeably.

spedolivia April 13th, 2023

@Hope

i have completed the 5 steps.

April 21st, 2023

@Hope

Completed quiz in slide deck and 5 steps on growth path! 😄

gsp-banner_1682108300.png

Smrtbibliophile May 2nd, 2023

I did the growthpath in my leadership group - definitely recommend for listeners - especially new listeners to set up healthy habits from the get go.

Smrtbibliophile May 3rd, 2023

@Smrtbibliophile

Not my leadership program, I meant my internship

GermanZebraCupcake May 3rd, 2023

@Hope

I completed six steps and enjoyed the review that each one provided. Burnout is something I regularly struggle with, but I'm trying to adjust that so I can live a healthier life.

MagnificentSunrise May 10th, 2023

Good for you to take this path! I hope it helps you with your burnout symptoms! ❤️

MagnificentSunrise May 10th, 2023
I have completed the first five steps on the path. 😊