Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #2: How Do You Handle Stress?

ASilentObserver January 24th, 2023

Hello all, As you may know, we started weekly prompts to discuss and support each other.

Today's prompt is focused on stress management. I think the stress is unimaginable being a healthcare worker. One has to go through a lot every day. While I was browsing the Internet, I found this and I hope you may find it relatable and helpful to handle your stress.

_1674557498.25f69e32a3cd82c7d0989a7a4b1aab17.png

Given that, this week's prompt is: What does cause you stress? How do you handle it?

Please share anything and everything you are comfortable with. We are here discussing and hopefully encouraging and keeping each other accountable to take care of ourselves.

Suggested thread to check

ASilentObserver OP January 24th, 2023

Inviting a few friends for their thoughts: @777Bre777, @HippieChik1975, @LyssSky03, @AndreaDawn, @HopefulSprings, @TheRandomEMT, @Jaeteuk, @GenerousTiger012 @NewYorker11 @easyMaple3687 @xandia

If you know a fellow healthcare worker, please feel free to tag them in this post so we can all discuss and support together. Also, do suggest any prompt or topics that we want to cover in these discussions <3

GenerousTiger012 January 24th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

When I am stressed I cry . Lol well it's true I do complain and cry and vent to my friends and close friends. It does help you feel light. After that I focus on myself do self care activities like running , taking a hot shower , playing with my dog miles , going out , eating pizza , listening to music watching Netflix. Yeah that's pretty much it

ASilentObserver OP January 27th, 2023

@GenerousTiger012 I believe it is okay to cry Tiger. It is an outlet to release one's emotions and that doesn't make anyone weak but reflects how we are human and we have feelings that matter to us. Thank you for being here with us and taking your small steps, Tiger. We are all here with you to listen and support. We are in this together.

Hopeful0001 February 8th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

When I am stressed, I reach out to my intimate guy friend and smoke with him or hang out with my close female friend and have some drinks or just sleep.

MunchieTaters January 24th, 2023

Must we be a trained provider to answer here? Or can we be humble caregivers to family?

Caring for my mother can be quite stressful and unforgiving. I'll typically chat with pop to let him know her mood, then disappear into my room to destress. I'll do anything from watch a bit of TV, to reading, listening to music, drawing, and even just simply coloring.

No matter what I choose, I do sbreath work work to help both empty and focus my mind. I'll follow by a little light stretching to release the held tension.

ASilentObserver OP January 24th, 2023

@MunchieTaters anyone can share here

MoonLightShadow423 January 24th, 2023

2 jobs can stress you out when things have to be in troubleshoot. Fixing problems are not fast. Sometimes people want a faster solution. It takes time. I do meditation and Tai-Chi to maintain my cool.

ASilentObserver OP January 27th, 2023

@MoonLightShadow423 I agree it can by highly stressful, Moon. But I am glad you take some time to focus on yourself and practice meditation and tai-chi. If you are comfortable would you share some tips for starters like us on meditation and taichi

MoonLightShadow423 January 29th, 2023

@ASilentObserver, there are variety of Tai chi on YouTube. I use it to help with stomach digestion. Slow motion movement. I just pick how long I want to meditate. Usually after work.

ASilentObserver OP January 30th, 2023

@MoonLightShadow423 i am glad it helps you out Moon. Keep taking your small steps and know you have all of us here too to listen and support. you aren't alone

SnowWolf81 January 24th, 2023

I'm stressed out about alot of things lately, I'm glad I found this article and it helped me feel better. I know stress is a part of life it's something everyone deals with, take it one day at a time. Thanks for posting this :)

@SnowWolf81 I am sorry to hear you are feeling stressed lately. If feel comfortable, please share with us and we are all here to listen and support. You aren't alone. Also, you can join member group chats here to share in real time with fellow members to get support too: https://www.7cups.com/connect/groupChatrooms.php

Jaeteuk January 24th, 2023

Working in the Operating Room department only, the most stressful moments are when there's a returning patient or if there was an emergency during surgery. That's when staff like myself, need to be on full alert and stand-by. Usually needing to run back and forth from the lab or pharmacy. At most times, I can leave the stress at work, as there's really not much I could do once my shift is over and I'm home.

For times when stress is brought home, it is usually because colleagues made a comment and it made me upset. When that's the case, if it bothers me for more than a few days, I'll discuss it with members here in 7 Cups and as well as my brother. He's a very logical/analytical type of person, and he deals with all sorts of people whom he manages for work. So, he usually can give several perspectives of the situation and it helps. Otherwise, if I don't want to bother anyone, I tend to ponder on the thought for a few days and it'll eventually be forgotten.

@ASilentObserver

@Jaeteuk I hear you and can understand how it can be stressful Jae. I am glad you are here with us to share as well as you have your brother who shares different perspectives to help you feel a bit better. We are all here with you to listen to and support you.

Jaeteuk January 30th, 2023

I think my stresses are more from the team of people I work with, rather than deriving from the job itself. I do like my job, I get along with all of the nurses and most of the anesthetists. Most of the frustrations I have during my shift, is from the lack of cooperation from my team. Resulting to having myself doing all the work and then they complain how I'm not doing my work properly. When I spend time doing things they don't do, on top of my own tasks.

TheRandomEMT January 25th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I honestly don't even know if it's stress anymore. I'm a bit too numbed out now stress isn't even a thing.

@TheRandomEMT I hear you EMT. it is all bottled up inside and making you feel numb but know we are all here with you and please feel free to share and talk about everything you want to and comfortable with. We are all here with you to listen and support.

NewYorker11 January 26th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

many years ago, i was a telecommunications operator at a geriatric care rehabilitation facility. i was responsible for maintaining the computers in the computer room at the geriatric center. at the hospital, i would teach the elderly patients suffering from various age related ailments, to use the hospital computers and use the internet to communicate with their family, friends and loved ones.

sometimes, i used to feel stressed out because of the working environment at the geriatric center, i felt like the whole world of responsibility was on my shoulders. if it was not for my medications, i never would have made it through some of those days. one of my coping skills while working at the hospital was to listen to music when no one was in the computer room. the music was kind of like an imaginary friend to me there!

@NewYorker11 Music is helpful Newyorker and i am glad it helps you. We are all here with you as well

Waldohreule January 30th, 2023

Unfortunately meeting people stresses me and beeing alone whole day too - last often frightens me.

What helps me with that? Sometimes Yoga, sometimes body-exercises that make me feel my power, sometimes making plans how to get out of this, try to get in contact and remember that there are sooo many people around me in the world...😊