Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Loneliness on 7Cups

MeMyselfAndHer May 14th, 2017

Hello guys smiley

I have been on 7Cups for a little while and I have to say that, in some occasions, it has been helpful...in some others, it has been actually very frustrating.

I got here, as I believe many of you, searching for support, friendship, or, most likely, just someone to talk to. I live a very lonely life, in a desperately isolated place (an island with few hundreds inhabitants), and, unfortunately, I have several psychologic problems (or psychiatric?...who knows...) that developed after a not easy life. The last 3 years, especially, have just been a daily torture, a sequence of bad events that corroded me little by little. As I just wrote, I live on a little island, here we only have 2 little food stores, nothing else. Until few months ago, we didn't even have a general doctor, so, no chance to find any kind of help from professionals in the psychiatric/psychologic field. Once reached the bottom of my sorrow and despair, and having nobody that could help me, I found 7Cups.

I talked to some listeners, wrote here and there...and figured out so many times it feels like talking to myself...I wasn't able to build any stable "talking friendship", which is what I actually need. I feel like a throw stones to the void...just write sentences that maybe noone will ever read, and for sure, that noone will answer to.

I am pretty sure I am not the only one feeling like this here... I don't want this to sound like a complaint, 7Cups is anyway good, but I wish I could find someone who wants to just keep talking to me, and that wants to be listened.

Is my hope in vain? heart

mellowunicorn May 15th, 2019

I dont reach out for help or talk about my feelings often. I find it really hard to make close friendships. I just want one best friend I can go to talk about anything. I cant always talk to my mom cause she is stressed all the time and doesnt understand my feelings and I dont wanna stress her out even more.

I desire friends but I feel like I dont fit in and I feel like nobody wants to be friends with me and I am ‘different than everyone else. I put on a smile everywhere I go but deep inside Im sad and always worrying about my actions and other peoples actions and what they think of me.

i have a very complicated relationship with guys. I used to think every single guy that talked to me liked my romantically. Ive grown out of that but through experience I overthink everything and feel like Im never gonna be in a relationship. That is something I desire a lot and just wanna have a boyfriend that I could spend time with and talk to whenever I want. I keep telling myself itll happen one day but I keep getting older.

Sometimes I get in really dark places and feel incredibly lonely and have no purpose in life and dont know what to do. Then some days I feel very happy with the world. Not sure what to do or how to act but I know Im always gonna have this loneliness inside me.

I just wanna be content with myself so I dont need anyone elses approval or company to be happy.

Scrambledegg33 August 13th, 2019

Hi @mellowunicorn! Im really sorry youre feeling this way. It sounds so familiar and I hope we can find a way to be happy again.

DeepBlueOcean00 May 17th, 2019

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation?
You build up hope, but failure's all you've known
Remember all the sadness and frustration
And let it go. Let it go

"Iridescent" Linkin Park

mellowunicorn May 24th, 2019

I want to try something new but dont know how. I dont do any sports but I wish I did. Im back home from university and dont have many friends here to hang out with. Im hanging out with a friend tomorrow but we probably wont see each other again for a month.

All I do is work then come home, watch tv, then sleep and repeat. I know I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and try something new.

Just feeling a bit lonely right now cause it seems like Im going nowhere and dont have a life.

sereneShoulder38 May 25th, 2019

@mellowunicorn even the smallest thing out of a routine makes it easier to break the binding chains. Do any one thing in a different way in your day. For example, do not go to your home directly after work. Instead, visit a park, or lake or such, be within nature even for an hour. If you do, have small, but really small, talk with people around. We don't have to go big, you should say to yourself, but we have to take first step towards people. :)

DinaElwy May 25th, 2019

hey there, I've dreamed about somebody I have crushed on and he used to treat me as I am nothing.. I want to see him may be because I have no friends.. what do you think?

BlueBetta July 13th, 2019

@DinaElwy I think there are healthier ways to find friends than going back to someone who treated you badly. It sounds like you want friends more than you want to talk to him again.

Do you have any hobbies you could use to talk to new people? Or a favorite show or game?

I like knitting for this. It's always nice to go into a yarn shop when some people are working on projects. Asking what they're working on is a good way to get to know some people, and they'll want to see what you're doing too. That's just an example though. You can do this for other hobbies too.

Butterflee May 27th, 2019

@MeMyselfAndHer I totally feel you...too bad members cannot pm each other here, otherwise I would have talked to you myfriend and the discussion rooms are too polluted...

Butterflee May 27th, 2019

I wish many times that I could talk to animals because I connect better with them...

emotionalPapaya8436 June 11th, 2019

Im always there for my friends without question, but I always hesitate to ask them for anything. I feel like if I ask them for help theyll brush it off as a joke or nothing serious, or theyll pity me or think Im a burden. I just cant tell if Im the problem or if its them.

Butterflee June 11th, 2019

@emotionalPapaya8436 it is not you, unfortunately you just haven't met or made real friends...with real friends, your unjustified thoughts go away, they are really there for you, do not judge or make fun and they sympathise and care about you and have genuine compassion...and with them you can freely joke after and laugh and talk about anything freely...i wish you will meet true friends🤗🤗🤗...i feel for you😔😔...

ldarkness September 15th, 2019

@emotionalPapaya8436

I feel the same way, like I am a burden to my friends and people around me. Whenever someone is nice or friendly to me, I am convinced they are just that way because they feel bad for me. They are nice out of pity only.

WazMin July 2nd, 2019

I feel very afraid and stressed at work.

I feel i will fail and that i am a catastrophy. I am so afraid of my boss. I am afraid to fail.

Every time, i think peoplr will say i i stupid and that i i wi be fired.

Please support me

BlueBetta July 13th, 2019

@WazMin I'm sorry you're feeling that way... It's really hard to ask for help when you don't feel comfortable in a job. Especially if your boss is the problem.

I don't think they'll fire you for making mistakes. Everyone there has made mistakes at some point, or even failed to do a job. If they fired everyone who did that they wouldn't have any employees left.

It might be good to think about where being scared of your boss is coming from. Does he treat people badly? Is it how he looks or talks? A smell? If you're not sure what makes him scarey to you, it could be helpful to talk to other employees about it and see what they think. If your coworkers seem to like him, especially the women, it could be a hint that maybe it's an anxiety problem and you can find a way to work through it. It might help you have an easier time at work too, if you see things going well for other people.

PeachPeter08 July 13th, 2019

I hate going outside here in summer. Seeing all the happy people enjoying themselves. I try all the time to invite the people I know out and do stuff but they never have the time. I wish I never had the time but I do nothing but sit all day and wither away.

I just want to share my life with someone. Everytime I feel like I have gotten close there is always someone better than me. Someone funnier and better looking. I am really afraid of getting older because I feel like the older I get the worse my chances are and looking at how it has been so far it dosent seem like it will get any better.

Just getting tired of being so angry and envious at everyone else. I just don't understand why I have to suffer when everyone around me is doing so great? What have I done to deserve this?

AshleyKetchum July 23rd, 2019

Hey everyone. I'm new. My name is Ash.

I think I actually have depression and anxiety, but I don't seem to have it as bad as a lot of the people on this thread, so I'm wondering if I really have it at all. My mom made an appointment to talk to the doctor about it, so I'll finally find out. It just sort of happened one day where I freaked out and ran to my dad. After an hour of him talking, my wall holding the tears back broke and I had a very big mental breakdown. No one believed all the things I told them about my school life and just said that I'll work through it. "It's going to be a lot worse in the real world!" was a very common thing people would say to me. But here's the thing. I know I'm in middle school, almost in high school. I have broken down more times than I can count because of things that happen at school. Teachers who treat me awfully. I know I'm supposed to be strong, but how can I be strong when no one seems to care or notice. The end of summer is close by, and I know that the pressure of school work, daily headaches, seeing familiar faces, possible depression and anxiety going into the end of my middle school year next year is going to destroy me. I don't know what to do. I feel so strangled by everything. I wish I could just fly away. But I can't. My family and I have financial issues, so there's not much we can do. We can't move or go to another school district. We can't get a better house. We get by with what we have, but when it runs out, I don't know what we'll do... Thanks for reading my long story. I feel like no one gets me.

BlueBetta July 24th, 2019

@AshleyKetchum I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Middle school is terrible for a lot of people, and anyone who says "the real world is worse" or that "this is the best time of your life" has no idea what they're talking about. They aren't the ones who are dealing with it.

Don't let them convince you that it wasn't as bad as you think, because it probably really was that bad. If you're having complete breakdowns when you think about going back to school, there is a problem, and the problem isn't you. There's probably other students at your school w.

BlueBetta July 24th, 2019

@BlueBetta who are going through the same thing.

Sorry, I accidentally hit send before I was done.

You deserve to be treated well, and to have people believe you when there's a problem. I hope going to the doctor helps.

EcentriciExMachina August 8th, 2019

@AshleyKetchum It may or may not be worse in the real world, but I hope you can start towards that path of gaining the tools you need to work through obstacles when they happen. I feel you totally; your family means well, but in their attempt to cheer you up, they make you feel weird or guilty about your thoughts/emotions.

Im in my early 30s, Im a professional working with people who have mental illness and every other day Im crying. I hope for you that you can find some silver lining. What are things that interest you? What are things that actually make you laugh? Set aside time for it. As for school, if your struggling with work, utilize the guidance counselor or tutors. If theres social issues, join a club and nonchalantly say you had a shitty time recently and need a good distraction or creativity outlet. Is someone bullying you? If its affecting your work, confide in the teacher that you are struggling with someone and if you can sit a certain place or be excused from being called on.

These are just some ideas, I definitely dont have the answers or advice, professionals arent supposed to give advice - like that saying about giving a person a fish vs. teaching them to fish. Your therapist will be a sounding board, like a second opinion to your own thoughts, and help you piece your thoughts and experiences together. You wont feel better overnight,but the more effort you put youll see results.

EcentriciExMachina August 8th, 2019

@AshleyKetchum Just to add to my other response, your therapist can engage you in psychotherapy techniques that can help you learn how to access your feelings and act accordingly; like reality testing to see if you interpreted something negatively and how to reframe your reactive thought to reduce the stress the negative thoughts trigger in you, etc.

Rosieanniexx August 9th, 2019

@AshleyKetchum

Zlerp September 9th, 2019

@AshleyKetchum Hey Ash, Im sorry to hear about what youre going through.

It sounds like theyre in denial or simply dont understand how mental illness works. My mom is the same way, and some of the things shes said have made me feel worse but once I understood that she didnt understand, it helped.

The visual that my therapist put it in really helps explain what I mean.

Its like having those old-fashioned 3D glasses, you know, the ones with the red and blue plastic in its frame? But instead of one red and one blue lens, my mom has two red and I have two blue. Were looking at the exact same thing, for the sake of this example, Ill say a white bear. I tell her its blue, but she says its red. We start arguing over what color it is and were not getting anywhere because one of us has to have the last word, therefore giving no end. The issue here is that were looking at the very exact same thing, but we perceive it differently due to our different colored lenses. These lenses are our perspectives, and in order to understand what it is that the other person is seeing, what that other person is feeling, then we need to speak and clarify what it is that were looking at, what it is that were going through. Hope this helps.

mellowunicorn August 7th, 2019

Do people mean it when they tell you that

floreral67 August 8th, 2019

@mellowunicorn bith and sometimes also take adcantage of you. That's why life is so complicated, so you must figure out which type he is.

jazmine1986 August 13th, 2019

these few days i'm feeling depressed , overwhelmed & anxiety made me like riding an rollercoaster . i think of him too much , know i shouldn't be behaving this way for me i just can't help myself .

i just don't want to lose him as a friend , i don't know what i'm going to do without him even if he don't feel the same way for me he holds a special place in my ❤ everything i do , i do it for him .

ps : he's a married man , if you don't like what i write DON'T bother to reply or read it .

DeterminedDandelion September 11th, 2019

@MeMyselfAndHer

You wrote this a while ago...I hope you have found more support since then. But thank you for writing this, and for leaving it here to remind me that I am not alone in my experience.

Chlo1825 October 7th, 2019

I know Im in pain but no one seems to care and they ignore me when I talk so I generally feel all alone

BlueBird957 October 8th, 2019

@Chlo1825

I agree. It's like sometimes I wonder if deleting the app and cutting all ties with 7 cups of tea would make a difference.

AbbyHarris1976 October 8th, 2019

@BlueBird957

I think part of the problem is that there are those who are so-called

UMG302 October 8th, 2019

I have a buch of family issues and my theripist says i have major depression

harshly i have few friends and none of them understand my pain

cryingi could use someone who understands

#suiside dosen't help

Arial120 December 25th, 2019

@UMG302 realising that suicide is not the solution to all problems is wonderful :)

DrMustafa1981 March 4th, 2020

Thank you for choosing our website.Your case is not as comlex as you thought.The patient with depression needs to rethink again about his/her view and thoughts.Life always makes us happy and sad in turns and in every bad situation there is a chance to rethink about ourselves and other people around us.To have a lot of friends does not mean you are happy,because among those friends you may find a real friend to you,who can support and help you.The medical treatment is essential in your case,but the medical treatment is not effcetive alone.You should have psychotherapy in order to learn how to think in a different way in your problem and your life as a whole.So,let me know if you need more help.

Raya501 October 8th, 2019

It's been months since I last connected with a decent listener: a compassionate ear for when I'm venting and/or someone who doesn't just give generic advice like "be positive!" or "go out more!" or "just go for it!". I understand this peer-to-peer support and they don't mean to cause any harm but man do I miss the kinds of listeners I used to stumble upon in 2016/2017. They were genuinely interested in knowing the problem and why you're feeling whatever way you're feeling and just talking to a listener used to be a big relief to me. I wish I could meet more of those people now.

I'm struggling with depression, social anxiety, decision-making, dealing with toxic people, anger management, chronic fatigue and chronic pain. I don't know who I am and even the things I know I want to go after are overshadowed by big amounts of insecurity and fear. I could use someone who has experience with some of those things, even just to tell me it does eventually get better. Hearing that it can get better from another person gives me the hope and motivation to push myself further and challenge my current situation.

littledragon420 December 13th, 2019

@Raya501

Feel free to message me whenever you'd like, I'll respond whenever I can <3 I still genuinely care about others issues, and as someone who has been through a heck of a lot at a young age, I want to help. :)

strugglebus314 December 13th, 2019

@Raya501

we suffer a lot of the same struggles, I

secretNickel1321 December 14th, 2019

@Raya501 You sound like me.

DianaVesta246 March 1st, 2020

Hi @Raya501,

I just waned to say that I'm sorry for how overwhelmed you must feel right now. I myself have delt with depression, anxiety, decision-making, dealing with toxic people, and feeling tired 24/7. Its exhausting and I'm so sorry you feel like that. I remember how I wanted everything to just stop and to just be ok for once. In my experience you just have to deal with your issues one at a time. If you try to fix everything at the same time you will just end up feeling more helpless. Deal with the blows one by one and do what ever you can to bring yourself up when possible. That doesnt nessesarily mean forcing yourself to go out or 'be positive' or anything. It could just be watching your favorite show or listening to your favorite feel good beats. I hope this helps in some way and I hope that you feel better!

madimichelle March 4th, 2020

@Raya501 if you would like to chat please dont hesitate to message me!

LifelD239 October 31st, 2019

this is going to be long to write but I feel like i have to express it here and get it out of my chest, since I don't have anyone to share time with, to laugh, to go out, to unburden, to be confident with.

I don't go to a psychologist but I just think that I have agoraphobia... and ive been having this since I finished highschool, even back then i wasnt someone who went out that much. I have big troubles to go out. I'm very selfconscious and my mood is so unstable.

I have rosacea and my skin being so imperfect... I lived by the language of hating myself, criticize myself, putting myself a pressure its not there, and this mostly has to do when doing social things when I have to go out i have anxiety my heart beats so loud, and i have headaches, I'm agitated, I overthink so much.. i want to really keep myself busy like studying a course, and buying things i like by myself, but im not that person now i dont have the confidence to do those things, even to take a public transport im like so overwhelmed of doing new things, or prejudice from others. About two months ago I was so tired of the hate and anguish i had that Its like I made click. I dont know, I just knew I didnt want that anymore. I didnt want to speak to myself with hate, I didn't want the criticize, pressure, I didn't want to value myself only when men says I'm "pretty" or a "princess" or this or that even when it was someone I didn't know(this is a thing I still deal with) Its not like im conscious in the moment I dont know its hard to explain, it's as if I don't realize that my value as a human being is what I am from the inside not how others see me, or a skin condition, or only with make up, or looking like a doll, or this or that. that i fix it with how i like to see me is not how i look most of the time at my house, I'm so blind and distorted with my own values as a human being. And I'm having struggles to explain all I want to let out of my chest because ensligh is not my first language.

Coming back, I was saying that I'm kind of other person now, a way better version of myself of where i was before from now, and i like that. im still not the person I want to be, fully. but I'm not who i used to be. Today I can look myself in the mirror and speak to myself positivily, ensure myself, encourage me before going out. Say even i love you wich I never ever could imagine before say this to me or even look at my eyes in the mirror because I was always criticizing myself for every imperfectio on my skinface even when I did my make up. I did more little steps with other aspects of life. But lately, these days its been hard for me to be connected in that way... with myself and to apprecite the little things I do being at home that I enjoy doing. I don't live by myself. Someone is unhealthy for me in the family, wich is my old man. I wont say much because I find hard to explain this and its something that can affect my mood and my anger issues. But yes.. its been hard these days because my energy wasnt the same, I still maintain my space clean and do healthy habits and selfcare but i wasnt that much connected with this things like I took them for granted, lately. These days I wasn't going out that much like I was doing when I felt like I needed, to walk my dogs or buy things, tbh I today only.

Its spring and ive been feeling ashamed of my body and my skin in general since im pale like a paper and my thiness and my alergy reaction because ive been forcing my body before going outside, because I want to use this or that and put this on my skin or do this to my skin(wich makes me more anxious to go out), or so and sometimes it happens to me that it irritates my skin because is very sensitive prone to react like this, i force it i can have high levels of allergy it depends on my emotions as well and this made me feel without energy, with low self-esteem about me, and shameful and hurt hopeless and that all it happend to me, just the mere neglected of the little things ive been doing that made me feel good, when I started to be more gentle with myself and how ive being seen and valueing myself searching for acceptance on my looks in other people it makes me feel worse. I feel silly writing this but I have no one to be confident with, its been such a long time since i dont feel truly confident with someone that it has worsened Its like a I'm a first-timer with anyone, who looks insecure and self consciuos, and is so painfuly shy and cant be herself because of some irrational fear. I only having myself and sometimes a paper to write.

tluper6491 November 5th, 2019

It's starting to feel like this site is actively trying to keep us lonely. No private messages, no feed now, no way to privately talk to members or actually befriend people. This is an incredibly isolating place for what's supposedly a mental health site.