Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

5) Writing Fresh Content For 7 Cups: Guidelines

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

Through this discussion, we will discuss the basic guidelines for writing fresh content articles for 7 Cups.

The following are some general guidelines to keep in mind:

1. Include an Article Sub-headline/header: one sentence, no punctuation at the end, this subheader goes under the title that encapsulates the piece -- (We will discuss this soon)

2. Article Length: 1000-2000 words.

3. Break up the article using Subheadings.

4. The article should not be previously published.

5. Include at least one non-copyrighted photo, at least 1200 pixels x 630 pixels in size (from Unsplash, etc). If one is not provided, it will be sourced for you!

6. For any facts or studies quoted, please provide sources as footnotes/listed at the end of your article.

7. For quotes from other professionals, consider back-linking to their professional websites, research-work links, etc. All articles will go through an editing process for optimization after submission as well!

8. Submit your Article as a Google Doc link to ayesha@7cups.com / Link it to the dashboard with editing access if provided a dashboard/ OR use the required form for submission as per what you have been guided on protocol.

9. You will be informed once your article has been published so that you can share and promote it as well! We will also share it on 7 Cups social media accounts.

10. When provided, please ensure that you include as many keywords, these keyword insights can also be used to guide the outline of your article.

Please feel free to share any questions about these guidelines by replying to this thread.

HopefulBambi June 29th, 2021

I have read the guidelines, thank you (:

Icecream2Day July 2nd, 2021

I've gone through the guidlines and have one question left regarding the key words. Are we supposed to figure out ourselves what we consider as keywords or will anybody porvide us with some?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP July 2nd, 2021

@Icecream2Day for your first article during this Program, you can research them yourself, but are more than welcome to ask for support on this end too! As for the Content Team at 7 Cups we regularly provide article briefs that offer keywords for guidance/an overview of what can be included in the article

Icecream2Day July 2nd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thanks for the explanation! :)

Sunisshiningandsoareyou July 7th, 2021

Hey @SoulfullyAButterfly , thankyou for the tips ! Excited for practical work ❤

kindLemonade July 11th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly
Thank you for the guidelines, it's well noted and saved!

sophiasanae July 13th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you, I understand! I'm looking forward to learning more about this in the future.

cuteeeezombieeee July 17th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly
Thanks for the tips and guidelines! I will keep these in mind for future activities.heart

KACOSMIC July 29th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I understood the guide.... thank you so much....smiley

Mel July 31st, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly understood Red heart these tips are very thoughtful and complete.

and in the end the love you take, is equal to the love you make. - Mel, 7Cups Ambassador

Iamanotheru August 1st, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I have read the guidelines, thank you for sharing. :)

explore1000 August 10th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Can this ever be a partner work?
It all seems kind of overwhelming!

SoulfullyAButterfly OP August 10th, 2021

@explore1000 Hi, articles are usually individually submitted after one week and the future discussions will offer lots of tips, but if you would like, you can work with a partner i.e. a trainee in the same batch as you perhaps? we can figure it out once you are ready to write!

amomtessa August 10th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly
I understood the points. Thank you for explaining this in a simple manner. I am just thinking how I would get a non-copyrighted photo.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP August 11th, 2021

@amomtessa Hi Tessa, there are several websites that offer non-copyrighted photos: these include Unsplash and Pixabay

AriadneLove August 24th, 2021

@amomtessa
Thank you for completing Writing Fresh Content For 7 Cups: Guidelines.

Here are some more Sites to Find Free Images and info about licensing:
1)
Unsplash (has own licence, prohibits only using images to create a competing website) 2) Pexels (own license) 3) Burst 4) Free Images (has its own license./allows a very broad range of uses, though it does list several restricted use cases (which are quite common for most free images sites) 5) Pixabay (licensed under Creative Commons Zero (CC0), which means you can use the images without asking for permission or giving credit to the artist) 6) stocksnap.io (Creative Commons CC0 license so its photos are free to download and edit) 7)Gratisography (has its own free photo license, a very broad range of uses) 8) Flickr (Select “Any license” ---> “Commercial use & mods allowed” filter) 8) Getty Images (can use images on non-commercial websites for free by embedding them.) 9) iStock (releases free Images every week if you sign up)

Lannylistens August 25th, 2021

I have read the guidelines. Thank you so much for posting this <3.

considerateOrange2567 August 29th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Understood, thanks for the tips! Is there an easy way to make sure a photo is not copy-righted? It would be convenient to look for images through Google Image Search but I guess a lot of the photos there are copyrighted

azuladragon34 August 31st, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Understood all the points. Thanks for the post heart

aliceaspiringpsychiatrist September 10th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly
Thank you so much for this super comprehensive and well written guide!
I feel like I learned a lot from reading this!

September 27th, 2021

Hi @SoulfullyAButterfly, just a quick question regarding this. Are we allowed to incorporate some of our own experience into the articles or is it solely fact based?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP September 27th, 2021

@richuyulin you are welcome to add it in for sure! We also can reach out to individuals that have experienced the topic and quote them - this definitely adds interest as well as being a great way to present personal/individual experiences.

Textingpals September 28th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

The guidelines were very well-put, I understood all of them.

Except I have a query regarding one of the points:

Writing an article with quotations from reliable sources.

Are we allowed to take data from Wikipedia pages which is an already published/second-hand source or are we only supposed to take the data from journals, etc?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP September 28th, 2021

@Textingpals you can use other sources apart from journals/research articles - I generally suggest avoiding Wikipedia though. As for quotations, you are welcome to reach out to experts or for instance a person who has experienced the topic to add interest/a unique way of presenting information. When quoting facts, it is better to use websites that base these on research, for example the WHO, CDC, or APA.

MarinaLecubet November 9th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Right because Wikipedia gets entries from anyone and isn't as credible. For; example I can make an entry about something or someone and it will be completely in my opinion without any credibility, correct?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP November 9th, 2021

@MarinaLecubet yes

emotionalCurrent5586 October 18th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly points are noted and it is very clear! :)

WhiteRoses25 October 31st, 2021

What are keywords and where in the article should they be placed? I want to use books as well as articles from Google Scholar is this okay? Should the footnotes be in APA? I’ll look into Unsplash. How do I break the article using subheadings? Do you mean different subject matter?I don’t know what subheading/header actually are.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP November 1st, 2021

@WhiteRoses25 thank you for your questions!

1. The subheadline or header is a summary of the article, and supports the Article Title. For example, for this article, the title is "How to Set Healthy Boundaries With Your Folks" and the subheadline is "A Mini-Guide for Strong, Young Adults Who Need More Independence"
  2. Subheadings are just other headings that help us breakdown an article into different sections. For example, in the above article, "Types of Boundaries", "Why Am I Having Trouble with my Parents?" etc. are different subheadings.
  3. We discussed Keywords and how we can conduct Keyword Research in this CDM discussion. Keywords help optimize content and can help guide us on what we can consider including in our article outline/completed article. You are welcome to conduct keyword research to help with your article writing as well as the SEO process, and later on, if you choose to join the Content Team after graduating, some assignments have a guide on what keywords can be used.
  4. Yes, you are welcome to any sources for your content, books and Google Scholar are perfectly alright.
  5. APA is a preferred format, yes, especially for research studies. Consider just listing the major ones at the end of the article. You can hyperlink some others within the body.
WhiteRoses25 November 3rd, 2021

Thanks you for helping me. Very grateful!

MarinaLecubet November 9th, 2021

Thanks, I have read the guidelines and I'll do my best to stay within them.

When I was in college I had such trouble with sources, citing them was such a problem. After I was a almost a senior is when I got. Lol. I guess the best advice I have on sources is to try to use the most credible sites you can. I usually sick with the most popular. Hope that helps.

amazingNutella24 December 7th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thanks for sharing those amazing tips with us, Soul! Super excited about the practical part of the course 💜

29amy December 14th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I do not really understand what we're supposed to do, is there an example that I can see? 😊

SoulfullyAButterfly OP December 17th, 2021

@29amy Hi, these are just guidelines - let me know if you have any questions

optimisticMoment4139 December 20th, 2021

i understand , thank you !

Zahraa000 December 21st, 2021

Hello, I am now a student of clean development.

When I write the article, can I quote it? Or is it just my personal opinion? When I complete it, where do I send the link?

ouiCherie December 26th, 2021

@Zahraa000

Hi Zahra, yes you can quote about you as a student. And if you haven't already, please post your portfolio here

And this is the form: please choose to submit topic approval first and to submit the article using the same form (options on the form)

Feel free to PM for more information and all the best!

KatePersephone December 26th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly thanks a lot for this useful information! :)

RideaRainbow March 29th, 2022

I would love to contribute interesting and meaningful articles for 7cups, where do I send them and who are the mentors I can get in touch with.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP March 29th, 2022

@RideaRainbow Emailing you today but you can also send in your drafts for article submissions to ayesha@7cups.com