Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

5) Writing Fresh Content For 7 Cups: Guidelines

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

Through this discussion, we will discuss the basic guidelines for writing fresh content articles for 7 Cups.

The following are some general guidelines to keep in mind:

1. Include an Article Sub-headline/header: one sentence, no punctuation at the end, this subheader goes under the title that encapsulates the piece -- (We will discuss this soon)

2. Article Length: 1000-2000 words.

3. Break up the article using Subheadings.

4. The article should not be previously published.

5. Include at least one non-copyrighted photo, at least 1200 pixels x 630 pixels in size (from Unsplash, etc). If one is not provided, it will be sourced for you!

6. For any facts or studies quoted, please provide sources as footnotes/listed at the end of your article.

7. For quotes from other professionals, consider back-linking to their professional websites, research-work links, etc. All articles will go through an editing process for optimization after submission as well!

8. Submit your Article as a Google Doc link to ayesha@7cups.com / Link it to the dashboard with editing access if provided a dashboard/ OR use the required form for submission as per what you have been guided on protocol.

9. You will be informed once your article has been published so that you can share and promote it as well! We will also share it on 7 Cups social media accounts.

10. When provided, please ensure that you include as many keywords, these keyword insights can also be used to guide the outline of your article.

Please feel free to share any questions about these guidelines by replying to this thread.

RideaRainbow March 30th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

GoldenRuleJG January 23rd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Hi soul. Thank you for sharing this with us. Have a few questions:

1. For any facts or studies quoted, please provide sources as footnotes/listed at the end of your article - does this involve referencing and if so in which way?

How do we find out how many megapixels an image is soul?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 17th, 2022

@GoldenRuleJG Hi there, yes, it includes references - you can use APA or just list the websites you used. We don't always publish them so in-text citations/hyperlinking is also a good idea in the case of research.

Mega-pixels are usually listed in an image's properties when we are downloading (on Unsplash this comes with Small/Medium/Large sizes and I usually pick Medium to also get a good size). You can also consider checking the properties of a photo to determine its resolution and dimensions.

GoldenRuleJG February 17th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly perfect - thank you for confirming ❤️😊

crang17 February 14th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly thank you so much for this. I think this is generally easy to follow, especially for beginners. I think my question would just be whether you can also provide some good commonly used sources that you can recommend to us? Otherwise, going to Google Scholar is really helpful as we can see a bunch of resources there, especially journal articles and studies.

Thank you so much!

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 17th, 2022

@crang17 Hi there, thank you for this question. I think commonly used resources would depend on the context of the topic we would like to write on. I think my best general tip would be to actually think about EAT applied to the resource! feel welcome to PM me too if you need help/suggestions whenever you are writing

dreamRainbows3245 February 17th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thanks for the guidance on the articles, it will be really useful!

Wildarkberry February 21st, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly I think everything in here is very clear. I don't think I have a question for now. (but maybe I will when I start my writing attempt). 1000-2000 words is real work. this is exciting, thank you for this opportunity.

serenity4514 February 26th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Everything seems clear so far. Thank you for all the useful information 💛

Ninziesss March 8th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

@SoulfullyAButterfly

@SoulfullyAButterfly Thanks for the useful information! 1000-2000 words sounds like a great challenge

SoulfullyAButterfly OP March 8th, 2022

@niens we are ready to support you!

March 18th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for the useful tips. I can't wait to get started 😊

Destiny4157 March 22nd, 2022

Hello,

Do we need to put our sources in MLA format?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP March 23rd, 2022

@Destiny4157 Hi there, you do not need to - you can use in-text citations and can try using the APA format though.

Destiny4157 March 23rd, 2022

Ok, Thanks! Have a good day/night!

KBeauty12 March 28th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Hi, so I know with research papers like a literature review, you read various articles on a topic, then you paraphrase to write your own. Is it something like that we are doing?

Also, 1000 words, woww, that's a lot of paragraphs..

SoulfullyAButterfly OP March 28th, 2022

@KBeauty12 Hi there, the literature review is a great idea but that is a bit of an academic focus and might take a lot of your time/have the presentation of content a bit more serious than user-accessible. I think general balanced research of the topic itself using other articles, books, and where applicable/interesting research-work like statistics, how research supports a certain support angle, etc will be a more interesting mix of content. It is also interesting to try find an expert to quote or in some instances a person who has experienced our topic.

You are welcome to reach out to me or one of the mentors for support during your brainstorming/writing stages - we're all here to help!

CoffeeAddict07 April 20th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for the article guidelines! They were very helpful! My only question would be why we aren't supposed to put punctuation under the subjeadings?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP April 21st, 2022

@CoffeeAddict07 thank you for this question! this is just our general presentation, but in general, titles and headings do not need to be punctuated unless for example, it is a question. Additionally, if you subheading was more than a sentence you could consider using punctuation but at 7 Cups, we try our best to just use one short sentence.

BlueCup55 April 22nd, 2022

I understood all the points, no questions at all.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

wonderfulRainbow817 May 20th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I understand all that was said

plushMermaid2855 May 23rd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly I understand :)

CosmicMiracle June 13th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Understood, Jedi master! :D

FrenchMarbles June 15th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Hello,

Yes I understand everything that is being said, it’ll certainly be a challenge but that’s what we’re here to do, to be challenged and to learn new things. I look forward to seeing what I can create!

Frenchie

Quality Mentor Listener Coach Forum Supporter Project Agent

glowingOasis3727 June 21st, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly okay, I have to submit my title today so after reading this I have a much better idea about drawing up topics that will help me create an article.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP June 21st, 2022

@glowingOasis3727 yay!

CosmicMiracle June 28th, 2022

Alright, I'm back!

I look forward to more exercises! <3

MyNameIsNicole June 28th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

A bit nervous about this, but excited.

SirenOfSerenity July 1st, 2022

I have reviewed each guideline throughly and understand each one completely 😌

admirableRose261 July 25th, 2022

Thank you for these guidelines. They are very clear. I would use Google Scholar and Unsplash to make my article more readable and enriched.

Ginevra962 August 22nd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Didn't really understand the photo point can someone explain better? We will be provided with the photo?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP August 22nd, 2022

@Ginevra962 thank you for the question! In general it is recommended you look for a copyright-free image from websites like Unsplash, but we can also provide one for your article when editing it if support is needed for this!

Ginevra962 August 22nd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for answering!

Daf8 September 6th, 2022

❤️ I am quite certain I understand everything! If anything, I could have just some minor doubts, like how to make sure the picture has 1200 pixels x 630 pixels in size, how to know how to submit the article (if it should be emailed, linked to the dashboard or submitted via form) and where the keywords would be. Thank you for this post! ❤️

gentleFox20 September 30th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Read and understood :)

🦊

WhenTheTimeComes October 12th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I committed quite a few mistakes in my article, so I would advise others to come back regularly to this post to remind themselves of the guidelines.

1) I had not realised it was 1000 to 2000 words. I understood it as an average. 🙈

2) I wanted to make several illustrations for it, but ended up being short in time to do so, and only had one illustration for it, which isn't a main one, nor the right size.

3) I made it too academic and not enough vulgarisation, which probably also explains the length.

🚩 As a note, it can be a double-edged sword to take a subject we're passionate about, since we might want to go too much in depth about it.

yourbuddy30 November 23rd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly Read and understood! Thank you

InvaderStitch January 3rd, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

No questions at the moment, but I will continue to read and complete the course work being open to feedback along the way as I learn!