Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #40: What kind of behaviors do you think anxiety has caused you to engage in?

ASilentObserver September 9th

Hello all and welcome back to another discussion, 

It has been a while since the new prompt was shared for discussion. Last prompt we discussed: How do intrusive thoughts impact your daily routines and activities?   Thank you to all who participated and shared your thoughts with us. I appreciate you all. I hope all who may read it find it relatable too. If anyone hasn't shared yet, please share them here and I look forward to reading and discussing them with you. 

This week's prompt:  Anxiety can lead to specific behaviors to handle overwhelming emotions. What kind of behaviors do you think anxiety has caused you to engage in? 

Anxiety can manifest in various ways, often leading to specific behaviors as individuals attempt to manage overwhelming emotions avoidance behavior, reassurance-seeking behavior, and so on. They can often exacerbate anxiety in the long run. Let's get started to discuss and share these behaviors and I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Did you join us in the Anxiety Support Chat? It is available every Wednesday for the entire day.

the-room-the-disaster-artist.gif

reallyoverallofit September 9th

For the most part a true anxiety attack incapacitates me. I curl up into a ball on my couch and ride it out. Leading up to an anxiety episode I get extremely short tempered. 

ASilentObserver OP September 11th

@reallyoverallofit you experience intense feelings of frustration before an anxiety episode. How do these feelings impact your relationships? Please know we are all here for you. You are not alone in this. 

reallyoverallofit September 12th

@ASilentObserver Thanks. I think I do a pretty good job at being loving to my friends and family when I'm going through an episode. I am sure if someone knows me well enough they notice I'm a bit testy but to the normal person they wouldn't know. I mask my depression and anxiety quite well. 

nitaroxo September 11th

Whenever I’m really anxious I only want to hide/ runaway and be alone. Sometimes it helps calm my mind. But some other times I shouldn’t do it because avoiding situations won’t make me feel less anxious about them, it’s the opposite.

StrawberryShaken September 11th

@ASilentObserver I experience a lot of body focused repetitive behaviors as I've learned they're called such as cracking my fingers, cracking my neck, and especially picking my skin.

Gettingbettertoday September 11th

@ASilentObserver

Avoiding people or situations and violence when i can't.

intelligentSea9085 September 12th

I try to control everybody and everything around me. Carry on as normal. It's the only option I have

wandamx26 September 12th

Basically what a lot of people have said before. I keep myself isolated physically and in my thoughts. I avoid seeing people I know even if I have to cut them off. I even stay silent around my dad especially recently when he decided to wants to divorce my mom. 

Disneywoman September 12th

Back when Dad did the cooking most of the week and I went to day program I would eat extra food because of how bad my cooking was.    I don't know if anxiety played a role in me wanting to buy food/drink at Bowling when I could since sometime it was a long time from having supper (4:30pm) to getting home from bowling (9pm or later).  

Disneywoman September 12th

should have been how bad my Dad's cooking was 

gddave September 13th

when i start to spiral i will look into things to see if i can form any sort of connection to what i fear. it definitely can make it worse. coming up with scenarios isnt fun but the unfortunate part is that many times they have been reality.

i can also get to a point where i have a really short fuse with specific people, if theres nothing i can do or say to make them see that what they are doing is having an impact on me or others.