Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Become An Adult - Teen Listener (ATL) | Support The Teen Community

ASilentObserver December 2nd, 2022

Hi everyone!

This post talks about a very important step in a listener’s journey, becoming an adult-teen listener. We were teens once and we know how confusing and challenging teenage life can be. A lot of questions and thoughts in mind, but no idea who to reach out to. But you can be that person to whom they can reach out and feel heard and comforted. You can find all the information you need on the role, requirements, process, benefits, and expectations here.

➡️ What is an Adult -Teen Listener?

An Adult- Teen Listener is a trained listener who listens and supports both adult and teen members. Becoming ATL allows one to join the teen side of the 7Cups community and listen to teen members 1-1, participate in teen member group chats to support members there, and participate in teen listener group chats to share experiences, learning, and resources to support teen community better. Commonly known as ATL in the community.

➡️How is it helpful to become an adult-teen listener?

• Allows one to support teen members i.e. helping them feel heard, and less stressed and your support efforts contribute to a better support system while they transition to a new phase of life (Adulthood)
  • Allows an aged-up Teen Listener to reconnect with their teen members to continue listening and supporting them
  • If interested in leadership opportunities, it allows one to participate and help scale up teen community projects.

Important Note: For all of the 18+ listeners who are interested in listening to teens, to work with teens, you must have experience as a listener and meet some general criteria, as outlined below. Additionally, the application process involves a background check and a video call interview on either Skype or Google Hangouts.

➡️ How to apply to become an Adult-Teen Listener?

Basic Requirements

In addition to that, a few more criteria

• Full legal name
  • To verify identity, you would need to submit a photo of 1 government ID. (Please send the ID via email to bookworm4@7cups.com)
  • Successfully complete a video call interview with a community leader
  • If you reside in the USA, you will need to provide a phone number for safety check purposes. If you do not live in the USA, this is NOT required.

▶️ Click this link to submit the application

➡️ A few resources that you may find helpful:

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to @Bookworm4, @Jenna, @Heather225, and @ASilentObserver.

We look forward to working with you to bring more support to the teen community.

_1669967181.5236.jpg
*Post edited by Erica on 04/15/23 for clarity purposes*
*Post edited by Jenna on May 20, 2023 to update interview information*
*Post edited By Jenna on May 23, 2023 to clarify ID submission*
Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 2nd, 2022

@ASilentObserver

One of the few things that keeps me away from applying for the ATL role is the government id submission, somehow still not assured and convinced enough for it. :') Probably someday heh. Till then I'm grateful there's forums, where non ATLs can interact with, support and encourage teens also! 😊

It's definitely a great role though and I'm happy for all the adults who get to work, interact with and support teens. They are all so lovely.❤

Thanks for encouraging more applications, Obziee!

ASilentObserver OP December 2nd, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou understandable Sun. I will send you the pm on it.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 3rd, 2022

Thankyou, @ASilentObserver, I appreciate you! <3

UnderstandingURpain December 3rd, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Working with teens is a truly aspiring and noble concept , I think that any listener who speaks to underage teens should have a backup check .

Teens are susceptible to being manipulated easily and not knowing who the person that is involved with them is extremely dangerous.

If I would ever consider taking such a position while giving away my personal information is definitely a feeling of private invasion it would be something that I would do easily to prove my intensions are pure at heart and to keep teens safe from a predator .

I think that teens need a lot more attention that adults as adults we have ways to navigate , find help easier , better support systems and also financial abilities not available to underage teens.

I also think that teen chats should be monitored for abusive and manipulative natures , maybe pairing up verified listeners with teens that go through a process of knowing more about children care a more extensive training program .

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 3rd, 2022

@UnderstandingURpain

I agree that more safety and training in place is definitely helpful and necessary. Thankyou for sharing your thoughts!

gahnsuksah December 11th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Just imagine. One spiteful chatter who doesn't think much of you can screw up your 'behavior report' and waste all that time you used in making an application!

gahnsuksah December 11th, 2022

@gahnsuksah Also, Cups has some policies that would frighten the Russians. How about, "I understand that my access to [Huddles] may be revoked without prior notice if I violate any of the above. I accept that I may not be selected at this time." Without prior notice? Not only that but you also have no right to any kind of reply. (Just take a look at all those 'no reply' headings.) Cups can be expert in leaving you whirling in cyberspace.

yourbuddy30 December 2nd, 2022

@ASilentObserver Thank you for this post obs! Me being an ATL I highly recommend applying to be one. I have also given an interview regarding that, if you are interested but nervous you can check out this post. ATL interview Hoping to see more people in the ATL community

SafeHarbour December 11th, 2022

@Bookworm4 @Jenna @Heather225 @ASilentObserver

The application form requires being active in the community, but the post does not mention this requirement. Can you please confirm if this is required?

Heartsandrosesandpaws December 29th, 2022

Thanks for update

will look back on this when I am meet all the requirements

DonaldK February 28th, 2023

@ASilentObserver thank you for sending me the right info. I'm referring to the one below this post sorry I can't copy and paste at the moment. I did use the right application. XOXO

DonaldK February 28th, 2023

@Bookworm4 hi there can you please verify that I use their application I sent it in today I also emailed my ID to the appropriate person. Sorry to tag you out of the blue! Nice to meet you!

Maxiepooh January 11th

@ASilentObserver

So, I signed up to be a listener, and I am a teen, accidentally on the adult side. I have emailed 7cups, and it have been 2 weeks, no response.

Can someone switch me over to the teen side please? Like a mod, or something like that.

ASilentObserver OP January 11th

@MaxIsTheBestt thank you for letting us know Max. I will tag @bookworm4 to help us on this

maxisthebest January 12th

@ASilentObserver

so the account ended up getting removed after I got switched to the teen side, I just want my account back, please.

HopieRemi May 16th

@Maxiepooh

Do you really speak all of those languages listed on your profile?

PetiteSouris August 23rd

@HopieRemi

A true hyper-polyglot 

✨¯\_(ツ)_/¯✨

@ASilentObserver This is defintely something that I am interested in once I meet all the requirements. I am Certified by our State Education Agency as a Health Education Teacher for ages 4th grade through 12th grade and have almost two decades of teaching experience in middle school (ages 11-14). Mental health was one of my passion topics and one that I taught about year round (not just when it came up in the curriculum), and I was the teacher the other teachers would send their students to when the student was having a bad day, on the verge of a write up, was visibly upset, etc. I'm still in touch with many of my students from when I started teaching back in the early 2000's. Let's face it, being a teenager is freaking hard...some aspects are even more difficult that adulting in my opinion...and I LOVE that there is a place on the internet where teens can go to be heard (and somewhere that isn't the book of faces, Ego tube, or [especially] the Countdown to mental health death)! 

Angelanj July 20th

@ASilentObserver I really want to apply for the ATL but I feel uneasy about submitting my Government ID especially in today's day and age. Is there somewhere else around it? Can I submit a photo of myself instead of all my personal information?

Heartsandrosesandpaws August 23rd

@Angelanj

@bookworm4 or  @Jenna

i thought maybe  you could help out since you are in charge of atl. Program 

Jenna August 23rd

@Angelanj

For safety reasons and to know you are who you say you are, you do have to submit a form of government ID. I know it can be really nerve-wracking to submit that kind of info, but it is never shared with others outside of the project or site.

Angelanj August 25th

@Jenna I understand that! It makes sense! However I don't feel comfortable with submitting that info so I won't be applying for that anymore. Is there any specific way I must refer the teen who reached out to me under one of my forum posts to someone who is an ATL? Thank so much for the info!

Jenna August 26th

@Angelanj

Here is a list of listeners who hold the ATL badge. Browse Listeners

Angelanj August 29th

@Jenna Thank you! I'll be sure to reply to their comment with that link