Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

11) Headlining and Sub-Headlining Effective Content Pieces

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

Article titles (headlines), as well as subheadlines, are one of the first things a reader reads.

In this discussion, we will understand effective strategies to write headline titles as well as subheadlines to these titles.

Some general tips include:

• Avoid long article titles: try to fit the title within 62 characters or limit it to 5-7 words.

• Consider using “What”, “Why”, “How”, or “When” as these are catchy and add to curiosity.

• Use Numbers - numbers ensure the availability of organized information, and are generally liked: using Odd Numbers in the title has helped in terms of SEO. Remember to write the number itself (5 instead of five).

• To add specificity, consider using “the” before the number.

• Provide an answer to why people should click and read your content: words like “tips”, “strategies”, “facts”, “reasons” all help provide a rationale.

• Include the word “Guide” where applicable.

• Consider using emotional adjectives that describe the topic. For example, “essential”, “free” etc.

• Consider outlining Negative aspects - spin this to meet mental health content goals. For example, The 5 Essential Things You Did Not Know About Depression.

• Use common words to ensure people understand and grasp the topic while finding the title simple

• Consider using a “Things I Wish I Had Known” approach to content if applicable.

How to test your headline as being unique:

Copy and paste your headline with quotation marks into the Google search bar. (e.g. “The 5 Essential Things You Did Not Know About Depression”) - if the results come back as “no results found”, your headline is unique!

Helpful Resource: Useful Title Capitalization Tool

Note: The bottom line to success in terms of marketing and content is to ensure that your content body reflects the great headline/title. It might be worth considering to write final titles after the content body.

Subheadlines: Effective subheadlines summarize the content body while also linking it to the title.

Activity

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Reply to at least one other student’s response and share your feedback with them

(Edited by @SoulfullyAButterfly: 12/2/2021 to clarify "subheadline" instead of subheading)

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

February 1st, 2021

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheading for this published article at 7 Cups.

Creative Celebrations of Holidays in the Current Covid Times

Subheadings-

Showering Gratitude

Reconnection

Covid-Friendly Gathering Ideas

Volunteer to Help Yourself via Helping Someone

ReDiscover Hobbies

Making Peace with Memories

SynSavory February 2nd, 2021

@Fristo

What a festive title, and the subheadings are very clear.

blissart February 6th, 2021

@Fristo

Relevant title and easy to understand subheadings

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 13th, 2021

@Fristo Great title - really adds curiosity - As for subheadings, I did mean "subtitle" but those are great subheadings as well!

Happy900 February 13th, 2021

@Fristo Great Job.

SassyClassyBrunette February 19th, 2021

@Fristo

The title and subheading help makes everything clear! Great job!

azureOwl6812 February 20th, 2021

@Fristo

A nice way to rephrase the headings ,easy to understand what the article is about!

AnisiaCocanMA March 15th, 2021

@Fristo

You've lightened the best perspective for these times in just a few words. For sure is an emotional touch for anyone who's seeking guidance !

optimisticDay8079 March 29th, 2021

@Fristo great heading and easy to understand subheadings :)

Clarisse29 March 31st, 2021

@Fristo

strength: Loved the subheadings as they are concise yet catchy

weakness: the title could be a bit more catchy by adding numbers or the 'wh' or how questions.

blindHeart12 June 5th, 2021

@Fristo

I like the sub heading that speak out of the article content.

Iamanotheru August 1st, 2021

@Fristo
I love your response! Thank you for sharing.

twilight000 August 4th, 2021

@Fristo
Festive and intriguing titles. Simple and to the point. Nice job :)

Brinaa101 August 9th, 2021

@Fristo

I liked how you used simple, yet eye-catching words! It catches the reader's attention to make them inclined to read the article. Good job!

emotionalCurrent5586 October 26th, 2021

@Fristo

emotionalCurrent5586 October 26th, 2021

@Fristo very positive, light engaging headings!!! will surely read this article :)

CoffeeAddict07 April 20th, 2022

@Fristo

I really love this title! I feel like it is fun an engaging and I think that your subheadings are really good too!

Kpopcat2020 April 22nd, 2022

@Fristo

I like the title-perfect for the holidays, and the sub-headings are very creative.

-Kpopcat2020

BlueCup55 April 29th, 2022

@Fristo Your title and the subheading are to the point and eye-catching. Well done!

PhoenixTears5972 June 14th, 2022

@Fristo

A creative title and subheading are clear and straightcut enabling the reader to develop a general idea on what the content can be about

jasishereforallofu September 3rd, 2022

@Fristo I love it 💜

heathermarie95 August 25th, 2023

@Fristo

I like the article title and the subheadings as they get straight to the point.

with that being said, the article topic was a create choice being it was still during the beginning of covid.

Countrygirl095 March 3rd

@Fristo love this 

InsightfulPhoenix March 25th

@Fristo

You have such a great way of connecting with an audience, not only does your title gain interest. The subheading titles also keep this audience engaged in your article. Great Work!

SynSavory February 2nd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheading for this published article at 7 Cups.

Main title: Facing Loneliness During the Holidays

Subtitle: 6 Tips to Get You Started

February 4th, 2021

@SynSavory Simple and sweet heading and subheading.

SynSavory February 5th, 2021

@Fristo

I figured keeping it simple will help readers, especially if they're overwhelmed and tired.

SynSavory February 5th, 2021

@Fristo

Thanks!

KatherrinneP February 7th, 2021

@SynSavory

I really like your subtitle, it's very sweet and friendly. Well done! heart

SynSavory February 8th, 2021

@KatherrinneP

Thank you - I figured that I keep it simple and easy.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 13th, 2021

@SynSavory great example of how we could of course add the numerical bit onto our subtitle - however, in general, we usually use it for the very first heading/title of the article in light of SEO purposes -- regardless, this is still a great method for general articles. for example, one's that won't have lists but still have a certain number of points.

SynSavory February 15th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Ohhh I see.

CaringBrit February 20th, 2021

@SynSavory love both the title and subtitle great job no improves right on brief

SynSavory February 21st, 2021

@CaringBrit

Wow! thanks!

greatfulPassion August 6th, 2021

@SynSavory
Simple and sober!

SynSavory August 7th, 2021

@greatfulPassion
Thank you!

Zahraa000 January 16th, 2022

simple and kind heading and subheading

Gargi07 July 23rd

@SynSavory

That's so good simple and short is easy to reaf

blissart February 3rd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Heading

The 6 exciting ways to cope with festival loneliness

Sub headings

The "Holiday Blues" challenges

Ideas to cope effectively

Azalea98 February 12th, 2021

@blissart

I love in your sub heading you made it a challenge! That would definitely increase interaction and encourage people to actually take part in it!

I also love the use of the word exiting in your title, it indices the reader and makes them want to read more!

Great job 👏