Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

7 Cups Values: Brainstorm!

Kate March 1st, 2018

Hey 7 Cups Family!

Here on the site, we have a core set of values that we always try to keep in mind:

Your Work Saves Lives. Work with purpose, step up to help others.

Grow through the Path of Problems. Face problems head on to continually develop, solve the most critical ones in the way.

High Expectations & High Warmth. Deliver quality work supported through learning, safety, and candor.

Accountability. Own your work and hold others to theirs, speak up and act.

Grit. Drive yourself, mental agility to push past barriers.

Believe in Equality. Value equally everyones background, work, and ideas; collaborate across teams and levels.

Have Fun and Keep Full. Enjoy the experience, take care of yourself in order to give back.

What are some ways that we can remember these values and keep them in mind during our daily interactions on the site?

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to brainstorm some fun ideas and ways we can memorize these values. Creative ideas, acronyms, mnemonic devices, poems, songs, etc. welcome!

Your only rules are that Your Work Saves Lives must always come first and you must include all 7.

Ready. Set. Brainstorm!

Aruni123 July 23rd, 2019

@Kate

A very helpful posts saying more on 7cups keys values...

RarelyCharlie March 1st, 2018

These don't look like Our Key Values at all.

They are more like our Culture Guide, with quite a lot of important stuff left out.

The culture guide summary, at the end, lists the four things that make 7 Cups unique. The first of them is trust.

@Kate

Emily619 March 1st, 2018

@RarelyCharlie

These are directly copied from the Our Key Values tab wink

Ah! I see! Those new values had not reached me yet, in far away England wink But now they have.

So the old values, like "We treat one another with honor and respect" are no longer...um...valued?

Interesting.

@Emily619

Emily619 March 1st, 2018

@RarelyCharlie

Hmm, I imagine it's still valued but just not specifically mentioned, and it's more of a given. Maybe we should add that one back?

And we save lives now? Not me! I refer people who need their lives saved to their local emergency services. I just provide emotional support. I'll have to be re-trained to save lives instead, I imagine wink

@Emily619

Blaze March 1st, 2018

@RarelyCharlie Being there for someone, supporting them, talking to them, acknowleding they exist, can save their life. It depends on the case, the situation, and how willing you are to accept that other people are as vulnerable as you are.
You don't have to help someone who's in crisis in order to be able to tell you saved someone's life.

Do you have any more ideas to help the brainstorming go forward?

TheNguyenner September 15th, 2020

@Blaze

I definitely agree with you as well. The act of listening can do wonders and of course there's always the need to access the situation and when to realize a higher official is needed to come in to help others!

PuzichkinCat September 15th, 2020

@RarelyCharlie

Agree with Charlie 100%. Words can be misinturpreted. Saying that "your work is important" is a good enough reminder. "Saving lives" definitely puts too much pressure and can cause harmful consequences if taken the wrong way.

sweetgrandpa December 14th, 2019

@RarelyCharlie I will study this cult guide immediately! Thank you!

SaimaK March 1st, 2018

@Kate Another important core value would be to exercise open-mindedness as this site should be a judgement-free zone.

crystalclearnow March 1st, 2018

@Kate I often use first letters of each word and make an interesting sentence, so that that I can remember. E.g.- ‘ You Give Help With Warmth, Accountability, Grit, Equality and Fun..

Grow through the Path of Problems. Face problems head on to continually develop, solve the most critical ones in the way.

High Expectations & High Warmth. Deliver quality work supported through learning, safety, and candor.

Believe in Equality. Value equally everyones background, work, and ideas; collaborate across teams and levels.

Have Fun and Keep Full. Enjoy the experience, take care of yourself in order to give back.

or something along those lines...

thanks

@crystalclearnow

tallStrawberries4941 March 3rd, 2018

Hi.

TortueDesBois March 4th, 2018

Looks like our values changed A LOT, and are no longer what they were when I joined the site in 2015. It's very bad. I don't feel those new fit with 7cups at all anymore.

Those old ones was a lot better fit:
- We treat one another with honor and respect.
- We provide high support and have high expectations.
- We are building something that is greater than ourselves.
- We recognize that life is messy, unpredictable, hard, and surprising.
- We dont give up.
- It is better to give than receive.

No, we don't save lives, and it's not responsability to save lifes. You are giving a big responsability to people by doing it. and people will think its our responsability to save their life. It is dangerous for those people. and I hope 7cups has very very good insurances for cover their listeners if they fail to save lifes in this case ???

Havingfuninthesnow March 4th, 2018

@TortueDesBois

Totally agree with you.

lazyKatz January 13th, 2020

@TortueDesBois

I joined in 2015 and like you I'm very aware of the change in standards.

@TortueDesBois

I agree with this so much!

VainPhantasm March 14th, 2018

I find this creation very interesting and helpful thanx for 7 cups and the creators of it!

Havingfuninthesnow March 17th, 2018

@victoriousBerry45

totally agree!!!!

speakthetruth2uall July 25th, 2018

@Kate [edited]

This site currently is a disgrace. It is full of bullying. It targets innocent communities and its leaders and leadership teams and forces people onto self care for reasons that have been invented by management and yet management can go around in public arena's whilst those people are not here to defend themselves and breach the community guidelines regarding not spreading hurtful or malicious gossip, not being hateful towards others etc.

I feel sick to my teeth that we have a management here who bullies and threatens and targets the very people who have built particularly the trauma community at the moment. Who have supported its members and who have put in the hard work to get that community active and until certain other leaders came along, safe. They built a safe, supportive, and caring place for their members and for their team but have now become targets but management and from what I can see other jealous leadership individuals with nothing better to do with their time. These people should know better than to lie and to try and destroy those people who have sweated tears to build the communities they have.

This whole community is bullying of listeners who have been silenced and forced out of this community for no reasons other than standing up for the rights and protection of their communities after trying to raise concerns with their team over safety. Some of the team remain here trying to keep what support they can here for their members whilst waiting for the rest of the team to return from forced self care but I say why should those on forced self care want to return after the way they have been treated so wrongly. I think its high time this community stood up and said enoughs enough when it comes to bullying and we all know that bullying goes on here and yet its allowed to go on. Many members and many listeners suffer bullying. Its happening all over communities and yet everyone is scared of speaking out and what laura has built is a dictatorship where everyone is her subservant. Where everyone kisses arse rather than stands up for thenmselves. Or she has created a community culture of fear and that is not okay. Leaders and listeners and members are scared of losing their account for speaking out or speaking up. These leaders currently forced on self care., all they did speak up for their members around safety and yet they got treated badly for it and rather than keep the focus on that, all these lies have been created by individuals to divert the attention away from what the real issue was. The community in question and its leaders, didnt do any of the following claims management have made and yet they have managed to cast doubt in peoples minds and are ruining the credibility of people's reputations and that is not okay. And some of these people are also trauma survivors themselves. Having already been hurt and abused. And we all think this is okay for this to happen again?

What management have done is spread rumours and lies. They have tried to cast doubt in the minds of people about the sincerity and integrity of those who have given their all to support you. But stop and think one moment about everything they have given as volunteers to you in their spare time, some of them working full time jobs outside of cups too. Ask yourselves if they deseve this treatment from those who should know better. If no one stands up to bullying, then it will carry on and carry on. Things have to stop.

I have been passed this to post up which shows the bullying nature of what took place by management and leaders at a recent meeting in which listeners not present were not able to defend themselves against allegations against them whilst not online because of being forced offline by cups for no reason other than defend their communities. I am not part of the community who has been targetted by I am a long standing supporter of them. And I do not think it is okay for this community or its leadership who has done so much for this community to be bullied and targetted in the manner in which they have been.

There is much misinformation being banded about in this community and it is not okay for them not to be able to defend themselves in their absence [edited]. Pity on you and all those of you who are Targetting the trauma community for the wonderful support they have given and to the leadership for the hard work and dedication they have provided. Never has this community hidden anything as you are claiming. They are been open with other communities and shared their infortmation and helped many communities with discussions including LGBTQ and spoken with new communities that have started and shared their discussions with them. Which is not how this meeting comes across. You are breaching your own community guidelines on hatred and spreading rumours and gossip which is why this is being posted up for all to see. So are you now going to force yourselves on self care?

[MonBon edited for confidential information]

[Anomalia edited for unsupportive content]

Roboticist July 27th, 2018

Well I just joined and starting exploring but the post above kinda makes me want to leave. What the heck is this place?

RarelyCharlie July 27th, 2018

This place is a community of people trying to help others. Like all communities, we have some internal politics and clashes of personality. There is no need to get involved in any of that unless it's the kind of thing you enjoy wink

@Roboticist

RuroBell January 19th, 2020

@Roboticist

OMG, me too! I just joined about 15 minutes ago. I signed a "be kind to others and be positive, etc., etc.," form and now I'm reading this. I think I'm out. I don't need to be reading negative shit now or ever.

RuroBell🥴😩😤

Havingfuninthesnow July 31st, 2018

@Kate

It would be nice if there were more trainings under Path for those of us that did them all.

Aubrynn August 13th, 2018

compassion and non-judgemental values

7cupsishorrible August 15th, 2019

@Kate

How about this for "values": learn to take criticism like adults. I wrote down my experience of last 3 years, dealing with all sorts of creeps, racists, sexist trolls, the hypocrisy of 7cups admin, and how they treat listeners like indentured servants - and they deleted the thread, without notice. How pathetic can one be? This is the behaviour to be expected from adults? These are the people that will help others?

Silksharp March 10th, 2020

We all have values. #postingsomethingdeepwithoutfollowinguplol

Smally July 26th, 2020

Something so simple and important to imbibe!

sanjana1212 August 2nd, 2020

@Kate

These are so helpful! I love the one about warmth <3

@sanjana1212

I definitely felt like the one about warmth was great!

Onlyonefollower February 10th, 2021

@Kate yes

RarelyCharlie February 14th, 2021

@Onlyonefollower Hi! You might be interested to know that Kate left nearly two years ago. See: A Bittersweet Goodbye

Charlie

Onlyonefollower February 14th, 2021

Thanks for the update. I’m pretty new here so just replying to things I’m scrolling through, seeing and liking

incredibleForest6066 February 14th, 2021

Being respectful and compassionate to everyone you meet :)

NityaSpiritualHealer March 5th, 2021

@Kate

All in one, it's HUMANITY👍

Thanks

pianist4life August 15th, 2021

@Kate. All meaningless words. There is no culture. There is no care. Listeners just simply aren't committed and qualified to be a part of this so-called community. Every attempt at trying to find someone genuine - a failure. Every attempt at trying to find someone who can actually be here - a failure. Every attempt at trying to find someone who truly believes in their own words (profiles) - a failure.

But, I suppose at this point, I'll receive some replies that trying to reinforce these pseudo-philosophies interlaced with meaningless and unsupportive drivel. 7cups does a greater disservice to those needing to come here as it simply doesn't care! I have solutions to fix the listener problems but they are always met with: "Well, we can't..." or "That wouldn't be..." or "That sounds possible, however..."

I've said it before and I'll say it again - no one on 7cups gives a shit.

BeautifulSun298501 October 10th, 2021

@Kate

Some ways to keep these values in mind is to always act in your integrity. If you would not prefer to be treated in a certain way, do not treat others that way. People deserve love, respect, kindness, and humane treatment. A fun acronym to help us remember and keep these values is:

You

Got

Here

And

Give

Beautiful

Help

Believe in Equality. Value equally everyone�s background, work, and ideas; collaborate across teams and levels.

lemonicecreamcake October 14th, 2021

@Kate

This is great.. I'll keep these in mind :) thanks for sharing!

charmingTurtle20 December 13th, 2021

@Kate

Very helpful post