Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Supportive Saturday: Self Care During the Holidays

CaringEzra November 26th, 2023

Hey everyone! Welcome to supportive Saturday. I hope you are all doing well.

We are in the middle of the holiday season! I know that it is a busy time of year for all of us. For some it can be quite challenging. 

A lot of us are coping with the loss of loved ones, challenging family dynamics, loneliness, financial difficulties, poor health, addictions, and mental health struggles, just to name a few. The holidays can be one of the hardest times of the year.

I want you to know that you are not alone in those struggles. 

Here are some nice reminders for this holiday season: 

screen-shot-2566-11-25-at-10-14-11-pm_1700968522.png

The most important thing you can do if you are struggling during the holiday season, pay attention to your own needs and do what you feel is best for you. 

Let us create a warm and welcoming space for everyone to get support and share their struggles. 

Feel free to share your thoughts or join in with the discussion questions (:

What do you wish friends, family, and people in your life understood about the struggles you face during the holidays?

What are some things you struggle with during the holidays?

What are some ways you can practice self care around the holidays?

Wishing you all a safe holiday.

If there is anything on your mind please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are here for you.

Jaeteuk November 26th, 2023

I think the most difficult part of the holidays, especially around Christmas time, is that I have to work through it. Yes, we're off for 3 days (Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day), but the holidays isn't just those 3 days. Ever since I started working in the current department, I haven't had a winter break, because that's when all my other colleagues want that time off. It kinda sucks that my shifts depends on covering the vacation of my colleagues. As it means, while they enjoy having the holidays away from work, I have to work it for them. Then, end up being busier than usual, because when 2 of them are off at the same time, it means longer hours for me, and working as short-staffed, means more work.

My colleagues at work had been making work difficult lately. The atmosphere around us is not good, and one person acts negatively to me. Basically, when I see them not helping out, I actually get frustrated. So, I either end up avoiding them, take deep breaths, or think about the contents in my Cover Letter. At least, it puts a smile on my face just thinking about it.

So, with self-care, it'll have to be over the weekend. Currently, I'm working on a Cover Letter and Resume.. so, that has been giving me peace and joy. Making the self-care productive, and I'm catching up on watching dramas at night, then waking up naturally, rather than to an alarm.

@FaithfulZareia

Aputik November 27th, 2023

@Jaeteuk

Sorry to hear you have to overwork during this holidays and that your working environment can be so unpleasant. A warm hugh from here to help you get through this. I'm also glad you're trying to change this unpleasant situation and that you're working towards a way out to respect your work values.

I love waking up naturally and hate waking up to an alarm!!

Jaeteuk November 27th, 2023

Thank you for the hugs. Much needed. I wish someone will tell me I'm making the right choices.

@Jaeteuk

I guess you're the only one that knows better, even if this envolves some uncertainty. 

Enthenia November 26th, 2023

@FaithfulZareia

For me, holidays don't mean much especially since my current company took away the holiday pay option last year. I don't have family close by so the whole going over to someone's place never was an option for me. Which was fine because I don't do well in large groups. This year, however, was extremely challenging because I was forced to work at home Friday. That would have been fine if I jusr had my cat but with an almost nine months old Australian Shepherd running around and wanting to play every two hours...And then the slowness because I had to be connected to the VPN to access folders and I could only use my work computer's monitor instead of the two I have in the office...It was much more stressful.

I also had to push my due date for my final assignment back again because I have accomplished nothing over the holiday like I had planned. I actually worked off and on on my work computer (even though I wasn't supposed to) because I was worried about getting in trouble for not completing everything that was assigned to me by Wednesday (even though I limited my trips to the restroom & skipped lunch on Wednesday). It actually took me until Friday to finish it even with my distractions. Now Monday I can start getting caught up on the things I fell behind on because I had to get caught up on other things. Delegation is not an option because I'm the lowest rung on the ladder.

I am hoping to get my remaining labs done for my class tomorrow but we have a frost warning going into effect so I'm not sure if I can tire the puppy out enough to where I can do some work on the computer.

So I guess for me, holidays are more of an inconvenience because with all the work I have to constantly do, I really can't afford to take days off (although I do force myself to take my vacation days) and I hope that higher management doesn't force us to work from home around Christmastime because I don't think I can handle it.

KatePersephone November 26th, 2023

@FaithfulZareia

What do you wish friends, family, and people in your life understood about the struggles you face during the holidays?

that i just sometimes just need space, and that i really do not like certain things being said to me during the holidays (such as comments about my studies, my body etc)

especially during Christmas, i just feel like the moment the holidays are actually there, the spirit is just...gone

take some time for myself, nurture my body and my mind, read some books, take breaks when studying

Some times family gatherings can feel as checkpoints were you have to justify where you are in your life. I can totally relate to this. It is supposed to be a joyful time wehere we practice love for each other and this "commenting in your life" gets in the way.

I hope you can find some me time during this holidays. A warm hugh from here =).

Bunnylovesyou November 27th, 2023

@FaithfulZareia

What do you wish friends, family, and people in your life understood about the struggles you face during the holidays? That its often the happiest times that make me the saddest

What are some things you struggle with during the holidays? realizing my grandma is on/ borrowed time and it may be her last, Christmas is just it's just her.

What are some ways you can practice self care around the holidays? Taking time to relax

I wish my family understood that it's ok to not have everything figured out and that I just want to spend time with them, not feel judged by the way I'm leading my life.

This year I have decided to not join them in this celebration, I need some me time and Christmas travels get very intensive and expensive. I won't pay for an overall unpleasant experience.

helpfulstrawberry312 November 30th, 2023

Hi @Aputik,

I'm so sorry about your situation with your family, but I'm happy to hear that you're putting up boundaries for yourself! Boundaries are important so as to not let yourself get burned out from life. I hope you're able to have a relaxing Christmas and a great break!

kenzolena November 30th, 2023

@FaithfulZareia

that sometimes I have trouble communication how I feel and that sometimes I put myself last in some situations. Also that sometimes pushing isnt the way of making me do something and that it actually gives of the wrong effect. also that i study and i wish that they understand that am busy on thise moments instead of saying i dotn do anything anyway or am always up in my room

loss of my grandma, the holidays always remind me of her so those are always tough. 

I have more days of on those days so in these times I can play some games and chill more instead of having to be busy with school all the time