Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

"Upvoted your post" notifications show up in other languages

exuberantBlackberry9105 November 19th, 2023

Hey everyone! 🙂

I've noticed this happening a lot, the "upvoted your post" notifs sometimes show up in other languages. For example, the other day i got something in French, sometimes I get notifs in what I'm guessing is Arabic (I might be wrong, don't come at me for that).

screenshot-119_1700418096.png

I'm guessing this happens because the user who upvoted the post uses that language in the language setting on 7 Cups. Could be a possibility, I don't know. But I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen, so I'm asking here.

Do you see these kinds of notifs too, and are they supposed to happen that way?

Thanks for reading!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 19th, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105

Oooh yes, I notice that too and I guessed the same hehe, of maybe the language setting of the user upvoting our posts impacting the notification for us! 

@tommy could you confirm this, please?😮

exuberantBlackberry9105 OP November 21st, 2023

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Heyyyy Sun! Thanks for replying. I think you guessed it right haha. 😁Thank you so much for tagging the right person to confirm this, Sun!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 21st, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105 hehe yes, and you're always welcome, sweet Berry!💖

exuberantBlackberry9105 OP November 22nd, 2023

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Aww... Sunnie. Thank you so much. 😊

tommy November 19th, 2023

Hi! Yes, you are right. The notification for upvoted/liked posts comes through to us in the upvoters language. I did raise this with the technical team so hopefully it'll be something that gets resolved soon!

@tommy Hii Tommy, thank you so much for letting us know. I do hope this will get fixed soon because it's pretty weird to get notifs in a language you don't understand haha. 😃

LoveMyMoonflowers November 20th, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105

yes :0 I get these kinds of notifications a lot as well. 

@LoveMyMoonflowers Heyyy Ni! Thank you so much for sharing, buddy. It's better knowing that others get these kinda notifications too. I hope this issue gets fixed soon. 😊

LoveMyMoonflowers November 21st, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105

I hope so too!

communicativePond1728 November 21st, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105

That's been happening to me too. 

@communicativePond1728 Hey Pond! Thank you so much for sharing. I really hope this issue gets fixed sometime soon. 🙂

communicativePond1728 November 22nd, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105

Hi berry! Thanks for this post- I'm glad someone brought it up. Hows this all progressing? 😊

@communicativePond1728 Oh, no worries, Pond. I'm very sorry i didn't get your question, though. What do you mean by "Hows this all progressing?" 😮

communicativePond1728 November 22nd, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105

Yeah like has anyone gotten in touch with you about it?

exuberantBlackberry9105 OP November 23rd, 2023

@communicativePond1728 No, but I don't think that's expected. Tommy said that he's raised this issue with the technical team, so the technical team will probably look into the matter at some point. They won't need to get in touch with me to do that, because this is a common issue everyone has, so even they might have seen it for themselves.

cloudySummer November 21st, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105 Tagging @

Jon7Cups
cloudySummer November 21st, 2023

Oh wow, that worked great... Seems I can insert HTML from another page here. Lol...

@Jon7Cups

@cloudySummer Hiii Summer! I'm not exactly sure what that was? 😮

cloudySummer November 22nd, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105 I've tagged the person who can fix this.

exuberantBlackberry9105 OP November 23rd, 2023

@cloudySummer Aww, thank you so much, Summer. 😊

CheeryMango November 24th, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105

Hello Blackberry. Upvoted notifications that show us in the upvoter's language is not a technical or site issue and its related to that user's language settings. So if a user's native language is French or any other language, you will receive the notification that they upvoted your post in that language.  

cloudySummer November 24th, 2023

@CheeryMango Well, that IS a bug.

To clarify what I mean: If the website talks to its users in the wrong language, that is wrong. It must talk to each user in that user's language. It's an oversight.
(btw. the app talks to me in Portuguese for the dates, which is ... also not ideal)

serendipity0002 November 24th, 2023

I really don’t see the issue as long as you are able to use the site as expected. Dates aren’t a concern if you know what the date is in your country.

@serendipity0002 It's great that you do not have an issue with bugs. You probably also have crashes on your computer and see them as something that is just a force of nature (hint: they're not, they are programming errors).

Everyone has a different level of tolerance to software errors. Mine is low, because I make software myself, and I recognize a bug when I see it.

I believe that people should experience as few of them as is possible, especially if they belong to a disadvantaged group already, and are, for example, easily confused or very burdened by other things already (like most here on 7Cups).

Apparently, some other people are also bothered by not being able to understand what the website is trying to tell them.

serendipity0002 November 24th, 2023

No, my computer and software works perfectly fine and without issue. Thank you for your comment and have a good weekend my friend 😊

@serendipity0002 (and I even know Portuguese, lol!) But that is not the point.

exuberantBlackberry9105 OP November 25th, 2023
@CheeryMango Hi Mango, thank you for your response. I believe you're saying that this is what is supposed to happen and is not something that needs fixing. But I don't think it makes much sense for me to receive notifications in a language I can't even read. I agree with @cloudySummer. I think that if a user's native language is French, they should see certain things in French. Their upvote notifications don't need to come to me in French because let's say I can't read French. So what I need to do is guesswork, and that doesn't make sense, or does it? If I'm allowed to ask, could I know what's the logic behind me receiving notifications that someone upvoted my post in their language?  
slowdecline48 November 24th, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105 Yes, I've seen them. Got a couple upvote notifications in French so far this week. I rather like 'em, considering that as an American I am markedly ignorant when it comes to foreign tongues... Let's be honest here: It's the truth. Practically everyone outside the US is bilingual--they know English plus whatever native language they learned as they grew up. The same cannot be said of many of us who were born in the States. I know a few words in Spanish but only because some jobs I had in the past involved working with Mexicans, Salvadorans, etc. Formal foreign language instruction in the US is mostly bad, & observant citizens know it.

So if I & other Americans are exposed to foreign lingo via notifications here, as far as I'm concerned that is all to the good. We need to get our act together & learn how to communicate with foreigners...as our world is more interconnected than it's ever been, we can expect to deal with plenty of people outside CONUS for the foreseeable future.

exuberantBlackberry9105 OP November 25th, 2023

@slowdecline48 I see, but I doubt that just notifications can teach anyone a language because that needs a lot more than that. Also, I wonder if learning what "upvoted your post" looks like in different languages will actually help anyone in their practical life. I'm not sure if that will help someone communicate with foreigners, and I think there are lots of other ways to learn a language if we want to. I might be wrong, but you can correct me.

slowdecline48 November 25th, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105 What is there to correct?...

slowdecline48 November 25th, 2023

You made great points here. I just figured any kind of input in a language other than English is better than none at all. Have heard about Duolingo & other apps that help users pick up a language, but I haven't tried one yet...

exuberantBlackberry9105 OP November 26th, 2023

@slowdecline48 Thanks. I hear you, but i myself don't see much benefit of having that little input of other languages on 7 Cups. I mean, i can read and understand only four languages including English. And i am only slightly familiar with the script of a few other ones. So most of the time, i can't even understand what that language is, let alone read it - i just assume it's an "upvoted your post" notification because they are the only ones that show up in various languages. So that input doesn't really help me. Just saying.

slowdecline48 November 26th, 2023

"only four languages"?!?  😲

exuberantBlackberry9105 OP November 28th, 2023

@slowdecline48 Haha, yes. "Only" because I am supposed to be able to read five. Sadly I haven't been able to learn to read Bengali, my native language, though I do speak it well. 😢

AffyAvo November 26th, 2023

It seems like an odd choice to me for this to be intentional. It doesn't bother me, but if I came in as a newcomer I would likely be a bit confused.

exuberantBlackberry9105 OP November 26th, 2023

@AffyAvo I couldn't agree more.

sadcat13 November 26th, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105 same for me. Probably language setting of the user

exuberantBlackberry9105 OP November 28th, 2023

@sadcat13 Thanks for sharing, Cat. Hmm… right you are! 

heathermarie95 November 26th, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105

glad im not the only one that happens to lol