Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What book or talk has helped you?

GlenM September 9th, 2020

Hello! We will be reaching out to people to see if they'd like to create a growth path playlist on 7 Cups. These can be authors, experts, or influencers. People that are well known and people not so well known, but have something helpful to say. Any and all are welcome! If a book, movie, or TED talk helped you, then please share here so we can figure out the best way to incorporate their work on 7 Cups. Links to talks or books would also be helpful. Thank you!

Hope September 10th, 2020

@GlenM

I like this idea! I am sharing the following books that I have read and loved:

📚 7 Cups for the Searching Soul
📚 Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
📚 Courage to be Disliked by Fumitake Koga and Ichiro Kishimi
📚 The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

📚 Atomic Habits, Tiny changes, remarkable results

amandavya September 10th, 2020

@Hope woah, Man's Search of Meaning is my go to book when I feel kind of depressed :)

Hope September 10th, 2020

@amandavya

That is great! I love the book, would love to hear what parts you liked the most! You can share with us here

toughLion8324 September 10th, 2020

i read self compassion by kristin neff

its awesome book

it clearly states that we need self compassion more than self esteem ( and they are different.)

dtanushree September 10th, 2020

@GlenM

A tedtalk about Post Betrayal syndrome:

https://youtu.be/iyqOR69dHiU

A tedtalk about inner critic:

https://youtu.be/eUyK4byD6HE

hanalikeaflower September 10th, 2020

@GlenM

Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step by Step by Thomas Richards

incognitoknight0101 September 10th, 2020

@GlenM

Thanks Glen for creating a space for sharing our suggestions :)

Few of the thought provoking and life changing books I've read are -

1. The Secret Letters of the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin Sharma https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Letters-Monk-Sold-Ferrari/dp/006222607X . There are 9 vital points described in a profound way in this book. I would like to mention these 9 points here so to give a bird's eye view. It includes-

- The Power of Authenticity - Embrace Your Fears - Live with Kindness - Make Small Daily Progress - To Lead Your Best Life, Do Your Best Work - Choose Your Influences Well - Life's Simplest Pleasures Are Life's Greatest Joys - The Purpose of Life Is to Love - Stand for Something Bigger than Yourself

2. Jonathan Livingston Seagul by Richard Back https://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Livingston-Seagull-Richard-Bach-ebook/dp/B000SEH506

3. The Alchemist https://www.amazon.com/Alchemist-Paulo-Coelho-ebook/dp/B00U6SFUSS

4. Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Insecurity-Alan-W-Watts-ebook/dp/B005YNPBH0

5. Khalil Gibran Books https://www.amazon.com/Prophet-Kahlil-Gibran-ebook/dp/B07FSLC3BZ

KyleB23 September 10th, 2020

@incognitoknight0101

The Prophet is a brilliant book.

energizingAngel9416 September 10th, 2020

Wonder, Turtles all the way down and Harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban...even though they're fiction and don't teach how to deal with negative thoughts, the first two make me feel heard and harry potter comforts my soul ♥️

KyleB23 September 10th, 2020

This isn't a self help book, but whenever I get a bit down I go back and re-read a few chapters fromThe Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Funniest book I've ever read. And re-read. And re-read.

windSpirit September 10th, 2020

I'd advice "The Choice" of Edith Eva Eger. That one who survived Auschwitz, she tells how to become free from inner prison we created for ourselves, how to live as more positive person and how to get through various life circumstances at best. Hope my advice would help someone.

September 10th, 2020

@GlenM

I'm Okay, You're Okay

The book is about what the title suggests. Along with many psychological fundamentals, the book deals with why we turn out the way we are and why it's all okay.

sereneButton43 September 10th, 2020

Mind over Mood by Dennis Greenberger is an excellent read.

Sherlben September 10th, 2020

The Pilgrim's Progress

Sherlben December 29th, 2020

@Sherlben same heresmiley

Nightflower231 September 10th, 2020

"Dying To Be Me" by Anita Moorjani

September 10th, 2020

Dibs in search of self

RumpleSteeleSkin September 10th, 2020

@GlenM

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSvyPBtHiYp_wIFJb75NXSxbaViQxrUDDBBQxHc12O4Aq1C7LBymQhJXTtjPdVDjsDtCNQxNJE&usqp=CAc shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2V4KG0fNxYA3c08vHpH6rcX_tlTY2LSd9PHyKzzyH5nxB0MwEBkZYZBoUswfqSObOoq_2QxzZbENEhLJ6rUyd9TfCuX7MeKUk3J17kwO8Px3-ioIVEU9mVg&usqp=CAE

All books are great.....if you just have an open mind and a teachable heartheart

sympatheticOrange2107 September 11th, 2020

The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery

A Separate Peace, John Knowles

A Little Life, Hanya Yanagihara

We Are the Ants, Shaun David Hutchinson

More than This, Patrick Ness

Last Night I Sang to the Monster, Benjamín Alire Saenz

Julius Caesar, Shakespeare (not really philosophical but has its moments)

comfortableCloud8565 September 11th, 2020

IKIGAI

- Hector Garcia and Frances Miralles

amandavya September 11th, 2020

@comfortableCloud8565 my favorite book as well :)

September 11th, 2020

Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle. How a crisis (greek root word meaning sift) is like kids sifting sand at the beach. When you're in a crisis, you watch all the unimportant things fall to the bottom and all the things that matter stays and you can rebuild stronger, i.e. you, your love, hopes, dreams, family, etc in a crisis. Book kept me alive and hopeful. Hope it helps you.

galaxyGirl299 September 11th, 2020

Sorry I'm late I didn't want to come. An Introverts year if living dangerously. -By Jessica Pan

vibezone24 September 11th, 2020

The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck

EvelyneRose September 11th, 2020

The three secrets of resilient people - Lucy Hone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWH8N-BvhAw

7cuppas September 11th, 2020

Hayhouse have a huge range of 'self-help' type authors - Louse L Hay, Wayne Dyer, Cheryl Richardson are first to mind.

Anthony (Tony) Robbins has lots of books, audios, programs out.

The Spark - Chris Downie

The Magic - Rhonda Byrne

Creative Sprint - Noah & Mica Scalin

Laugh Aerobics - Helene Grover

YourCaringConfidant September 12th, 2020

@GlenM Who Moved My Cheese? An absolute great read!

PhaedrusMaynard September 12th, 2020

Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Maynard Pirsig

danielioan September 14th, 2020

@PhaedrusMaynard That's a great book.

gentleLove5470 September 12th, 2020

"Harry Potter" by J.K. Rowling is a great place to escape to if you are feeling lost.

IZaariaK123 September 12th, 2020

The quran. I have never really strongly believed in my religion but I was going through a really depressing time last year because of many factors like school and exams and loneliness and I had started questioning why bother living but then I started watching videos where people tell us why they converted to islam on youtube. It kept appearing on my youtube recommendation list and so I thiught I'd watch few and it totally changed everything for me. After a while I decided to learn more about my religiin and so I decided to read the quran and it changed my whole point of view on life. It explains how to cope with everything. The quran helped me become the better version of myself that I am today. It gave me self confidence and happiness. I am so happy that I gave it a try and I read it.💙

MrRachmaninov September 13th, 2020

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

theapi849 September 13th, 2020

''Women Don't Owe You Pretty'' by Florence Given

brightSky9357 September 13th, 2020

"Reasons to Stay Alive" by Matt Haig is amazing!

Anything by Sarah Knight is also good - to start out I'd recommend her first book "The Lifechanging Magic of Not Giving a Fuck"

MiracleChild September 13th, 2020

Building a Life worth Living: A Memoir by Marsha Linehan

cozyday September 13th, 2020

@MiracleChild thanks for sharing. I was considering reading this book, and now I think I really should!

cozyday September 13th, 2020

New Harbinger's "DBT workbook" turned out to be quite a life changing book for me.

Besides from that, Yalom's "The love executioner" and Donovan's "Adoptive parenting" are pretty good.

C00kiEL0V3 September 13th, 2020

It's not Supposed to be This Way by Lisa Terkeurst

katiee54 September 14th, 2020

12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson!