Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What book or talk has helped you?

GlenM September 9th, 2020

Hello! We will be reaching out to people to see if they'd like to create a growth path playlist on 7 Cups. These can be authors, experts, or influencers. People that are well known and people not so well known, but have something helpful to say. Any and all are welcome! If a book, movie, or TED talk helped you, then please share here so we can figure out the best way to incorporate their work on 7 Cups. Links to talks or books would also be helpful. Thank you!

alisharn September 9th, 2020

@GlenM

The most recent helpful book I've read was for parents who are butting heads with their kids. It's called Parenting with Love and Logic. Here's a link:

Parenting With Love And Logic (Updated and Expanded Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1576839540/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_porwFbHJDXDJA

GlenM OP September 9th, 2020

@alisharn excellent book! so many parents struggle with the logic part. great recommendation!

Justmeasme September 9th, 2020

@GlenM

" You are a badass." By Jen Sinceroyes

@Justmeasme will need to check that one out!

stickercollection September 9th, 2020

@GlenM I would recommend my favourite book: Wherever You Go There You Are - Jon Kabat-Zinn.

It's a mindfulness and meditation in everyday life, book. I've made it my journal and write inside the book! The chapters are short and at the end of many there are mindfulness/meditation guides called, "Try."
It really is an amazing book and makes you think

@Nolanhm these are the kind of very good recommendations that are helpul b/c they include practical steps we can include. thank you for sharing!

stickercollection September 9th, 2020

@GlenM You are very welcome! I hope you enjoy the book.

hopingforhope101 September 10th, 2020

Check out 'Maybe you should talk to someone' by Lori Gottlieb and 'It's okay to laugh (Crying is cool too)' by Nora McInerny. They are both Autobiographies that I've found helped me with understanding grief better and with doing some much needed soul-searching :) @GlenM

giggleIcicle1938 September 16th, 2020

@GlenM

A book I've been in love with that has helped so much is:

The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Keeps-Score-Healing-Trauma/dp/0143127748/ref=nodl_

Morning Breaks by Lemn Sissay is a great Ted talk that talks about persisting when everyone else tells you to give up.
https://youtu.be/zK6ggmkNhuk

Here is an example from my world: https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Good-Life-Ancient-Stoic-ebook/dp/B0040JHNQG

I liked this book a lot because it gave me new language and insight on elements that I can control (circle of influence) and things I cannot control (circle of concern). It also taught me the practice of negative visualization. High level, it is an accessible introduction to stoic thinking with practical steps. I recommend it!

cristlecares September 9th, 2020

@GlenM I've read a book called The Alchemist which is a very good book with lots of morals...I would surely suggest u to read that😇😇

Have a great day

Thank u

@Cristlecares I just reread that a couple of weeks ago. Great book! What is the main lesson that stood out to you?

patientLynx7181 September 9th, 2020

@GlenM hey , so I'm not the guy you asked but still i thought I would share my favourite lesson . The best thing that that taught me was there are certain things that you wanna do or in other words have a inner desire or passion and due to a variety of reasons most of us don't do those things , suppress those desires and gradually we feel more and more lost and directionless in life , so we should always pay attention those to the whisper of our heart

@patientLynx7181 I appreciate that. Imagine a playlist that was like "Life lessons from the Alchemist" and anyone could add to it - maybe there'd be like 20 or so steps. What do you think of that idea?

cristlecares September 9th, 2020

@GlenM Main lesson I felt that All of our destinies are very beautiful and

We don't have to in search of happiness rather we should search it in ourselves.....

And those who believe , they will surely find happiness and inner peace

Thank you😇

@Cristlecares great summary :D

patientLynx7181 September 9th, 2020

I think the talk which helped me the most was this one , a stand up vid by Kathy Buckley , it just gives you a desire to live no matter how hard life gets https://youtu.be/RwhVslaotNA

@patientLynx7181 Appreciate that! I've got it pulled up and will watch it. These kinds of shorter videos are great. We'll be able to embed them in growth path steps. You can imagine a How to Overcome playlist with these inspirational videos added in.

SoulfullyAButterfly September 9th, 2020

1. William Pullen - Running with Mindfulness: Dynamic Running Therapy (DRT) to Improve Low-mood, Anxiety, Stress, and Depression
  2. Brian Tracey - No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline (has lots of exercises/activities)
  3. Phakchok Rinpoche - Radically Happy: A Users Guide to the Mind
  4. Owen O'Kane - author of Ten to Zen/Ten Times Happier

@SoulfullyAButterfly these are great! I run 3-5x a week and I'm not too mindful so will check that one out first :)

@GlenM awesome! The app is available for free on the App Store and I believe this is a nice new form of therapy! This author is also a great speaker and did let me know that Android versions will be available soon too!

aLightInTheDark3 September 9th, 2020

@GlenM

The book that truly is amazing and that I love so so much is 'the alchemist' by Paulo Coelho! <3

@aLightInTheDark3 2nd vote for this one already!

Inviting the Content Volunteer Team to join in!

@RumpleSteeleSkin @Lucy2 @awesomePudding82 @Icicle0212 @dreamCat9335 @competentParadise6344 @Aurora33 @Swamps @RebekahRebel @iamtryingandsurviving @Deliah453 @sinceresebas21 @akaur9985 @TinyTina4 @Peacfulocean @resourcefulStrawberry959 @TheGoodFairy @musicalTruth1032 @upreetha @QueenBee03 @JasGab20051997 @canguyen @ClairePotato @soothingBreeze49 @colorfulPumpkin51 @GardenFarmer5721 @KaylaDances @wonderousPenguin @RebornEveryDay @BleuPhoenix @Melodyenola @StanDaMan78

Notweirdunique September 9th, 2020

The power of now and our numbered days are books that saved me and helped me now who is me and not just a human living. They showed me love, care, faith, and god. I recommend all who have read this to read them. they are graet books.

@Notweirdunique they sound very powerful - reminds me of the quote - we are human beings not human doings.

Notweirdunique September 9th, 2020

@GlenM they are and nice qoute by the way, but really it is worth the time reading them.

RarelyCharlie September 9th, 2020

Interesting idea! I once made a list of books relating to listening, and I add to it from time to time:

Listeners' Reading List

I'm currently reading Scripts People Live by Claude Steiner. It's good, but I haven't decided yet whether it will make it into my reading list or not. When I finish it, I'll review it in my Notebook.

Charlie

@RarelyCharlie what a list! full of classics - do you think any of these are more helpful than others for people to read to better help themselves? Also, I like the listening emphasis too, which suggests the growth paths could also be little nuggets of continuous training too.

RarelyCharlie September 10th, 2020

@GlenM Yes, I do think some books are more helpful than others for people to read to better help themselves. But I think which books are more helpful depends on the individual person and the challenges they are facing at the time.

As I come to the end of the book, Scripts, that I mentioned above, I'm already thinking about what nonfiction to read next. I usually choose a topic I already know a little about and have some reason to explore in more depth.

Right now, for example, inspired by the DID fiasco here at 7 Cups, I'm looking around for a book that will help me better understand stigma as it applies to mental illness. I'm considering The Mark of Shame by Professor Stephen P. Hinshaw, but I'm open to other ideas. Does anyone reading this have a recommendation?

Charlie

NorahListens September 9th, 2020

A book that inspired me would be Reasons To Stay Alive by Matt Haig.

It's a mix of self-help and autobiography. It talks about the author's struggle with depression and anxiety, and how he overcame it.

I love the book because it reminds me that no matter how bad things are, there's always something worth living for, and that even the worst days will pass. It reminded me that all the little things count - that happiness isn't always huge bursts of joy. Sometimes happiness is the little sweet moments that make everything worthwile.

This book really changed the way I viewed life. It's definitely a must read!

NorahListens September 9th, 2020

Here's the link to the book on amazon:

https://www.amazon.ae/dp/0143128728/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lIrwFbGK62BFS

@miraculousheart9815 that sounds like a remarkable book and very relevant lessons. I'll check it out!

AmalieAnne September 9th, 2020

Utopia by Saint/Sir Thomas More - http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2130

A lot of Christopher Hitches as well but also this person https://youtu.be/YAzTIOy0ID0

@AmalieAnne I like the idea of weaving older works in!

AmalieAnne September 9th, 2020

@GlenM Oldie book but kind of not old ideas cheeky

Kimmkimm September 9th, 2020

@GlenM

There's a book called Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Juan Salvador Gaviota). It has a powerful message and it's so pretty. I think it encourages me and makes me think that there are good and worthy things on this world, and I can reach them if I keep trying.

@Kimmkimm great book! I read that in high school a long, long, time ago :)

Kimmkimm September 11th, 2020

@GlenM

We had to read it is school last year and I loved it. One of the few I've liked in school. But this year with the pandemic and the online classes we haven't read any book. I miss that.

Irene006 September 9th, 2020

@GlenM

My cousin gave me a book a while ago. It's called "The Secret to Teen Power". It focuses on the Law of Attraction. The Law of attraction states that our thoughts alter the reality around us. If we think positive, then positive will happen. If we think negative, then negative will happen.

My Google said that it isn't true but my cousin explained that all matter has energy. Similarly our brains have some sort of waves. These waves give energy to occurrence of things. I've been depressed lately, I'll read that book again https://www.amazon.com/dp/141699498X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_btf_t1_wOrwFbWE0B8DX