Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

7 Cups Culture Guide + Badge!

GlenM August 12th, 2020

Hello Community!

Ive been enjoying the launch of the Leadership Development Program (LDP). We are all learning a lot. We have a lot of great new leaders signing up to serve our community. Im thankful for them and their service!

One thing that has struck me is the impact of the 7 Cups Culture Guide. I wrote the first draft of ths on a long flight back in 2017. New leaders were commenting that it was meaningful and some were surprised to see how it is a foundation to all the work we do here on 7 Cups. New leaders review the guide and take a test as part of the first course in the LDP. Their reaction to the guide and the test made me realize that we should more deliberately extend access to the guide and test to our broader community.

If you are interested in learning more about our culture and embracing it, then, please

Take the test here! (Blue Text is clickable)

Next, post the 3 most important things you learned and why they are important to you. Then, post that you have read the guide and taken the test with the following words:

I, (username), have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

Once youve made the post, we will award you the 7 Cups Culture Holder Badge. We will do this manually at first so there will be a small delay from the time that you complete the course and receive the badge.

Im looking forward to hearing your feedback. Thank you for being a part of our community!

Youmatteralways August 16th, 2020

@GlenM

Three things I learned that are important to me:

1. Importance in solving the next biggest and most pressing problems in front of us. The problem is the path. Solving problems helps us grow, makes us more resilient, and increases our success.

2. Failure is an opportunity to learn and grow.

3. Putting skin in the game makes a positive difference

I, @incrediblewatermelon1029 , have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

When will my badge be ready?

QuietMagic August 17th, 2020

Here are three things that felt most helpful to me in reading through the culture guide again:

1) The two-part model of high expectations/high warmth, balancing task-oriented responsibility with interpersonally-oriented humanity
2) The three-part model of what makes actions feel like they're worth doing: a) am I good at it, b) do I enjoy it, c) is it helpful
3) The idea of reframing imperfection as a natural, necessary, and acceptable part of the process of growing into new roles

I, QuietMagic, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

jaedae August 17th, 2020

@GlenM

I would love to be a leader.

jaedae August 17th, 2020

@GlenM

I have schizoaffective disorder with major depression, OCD, manic bipolar with major depression, suicide ideation, anxiety, panic, depression, paranoia

When will my badge be ready?

Asruu August 17th, 2020

@GlenM

Hi Glen, i took the test!

Three things that i learnt are;

1. Honesty

One of the leadership qualities that define a good leader is honesty. When you are responsible for a team of people, it is important to be straightforward, you always need to remember to lead by example.

2. Confidence

Another one of the leadership qualities, is having confidence. As a leader, it is your responsibility to maintain the team morale and keep moving forward. Keep your confidence level up and assure everyone that setbacks being looked into. By staying calm and confident, the team would not worry as they put their trust in you.

3. Commitment

Showing your commitment sets the example for others to follow, and leads to greater loyalty and respect for you as a leader. Set the tone of commitment, and others will follow suit. Remember that if you expect your team to work hard and produce quality work, you would need to lead by example.

I, Asruu , have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

ssruthi12 August 17th, 2020

I learned:

1. We need alignment on doing work we are good at, work that is interesting to us, and work that solves a problem or meets a goal 7 cups has in order to do a good job

2. It is okay to fail- we just have to try our hardest and figure out what does not work, so we can do better with what does work.

3. Self-efficacy is the process of learning how to trust ourselves and continuously grow more confident as we solve smaller problems and get to bigger ones.

I, ssruthi12, have read the 7 cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 cups culture holder

charmingSunrise7168 August 17th, 2020

@GlenM

charmingSunrise7168 August 17th, 2020

@GlenM

Failure helps you grow

Accountability is important

We can do amazing things working as a team

I, charmingSunrise7168, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

FloweryFish August 17th, 2020

Wishing you success, in Leadership Development Program (LDP).

talkswithariba August 17th, 2020

@GlenM

The 3 things I have learned are:

1) Failure is Okay: I fear failure. When talking to a member, I am always worried if I'll say something wrong. But this guide helped me realize that failure is part of learning. And learning a new skill (i.e. empathy with others) requires hard work, and comes with a lot of failures as well, so it's okay to fail.

2) Self-care is Important: I learned that I won't be able to help others if I'm not able to help myself. I need to take care of myself, and both my physical and mental health to help others as well.

3) Accountability: As listeners (and learners), we must be accountable to our duties. We must be able to complete tasks and fulfill responsibilities. This is a reminder to myself of my duties and also owning my good work or even mistakes.

talkswithariba August 17th, 2020

@GlenM

I, talkswithariba, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

calmTurtle7709 August 19th, 2020

Congrats! Where is the test. I wou,d like to get certified, as well. Thanks.

bouncySalamander26 August 19th, 2020

Heya @calmTurtle7709 !! You can take the test by clicking >>HERE<<.

You are on the last page of the thread, which is why the link and original post weren't immediately viewable.

For Chrome users-You can navigate to the first page of this thread and read the post, by scrolling to the top of the page and pressing "1" on the bar (refer highlighted portion of screenshot)

All words in blue are linkified, and hence, clickable.

I hope this helps-Have a wonderful day/night!Purple heart

Derekfan7695 August 19th, 2020

@talkswithariba

Where is the test?

talkswithariba August 19th, 2020

Hi @Derekfan7695

You can take the test by clicking on this link. Hope it helps :)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLtnd8RA24SqdMn8OfqbX1s8FcpZ59Ff7cEXLDgfeBgHorQA/viewform

Derekfan7695 August 20th, 2020

@talkswithariba

Thank you for your help!😀

talkswithariba August 19th, 2020

@Derekfan7695

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLtnd8RA24SqdMn8OfqbX1s8FcpZ59Ff7cEXLDgfeBgHorQA/viewform

naturalHorizon61 August 18th, 2020

The 3 most important things I've learned are

1) Caring for others is important especially for those with fewer financial resources. This not only helps develop empathy and compassion for others, but it also helps us grow as individuals.

2) The work that we do here matters and that it helps saves many lives. It is truly a priviledge to be able to help people on 7 cups because it restores their faith in happiness, love, light and positivity.

3) Failure is inevitable, and I've failed many times, but the important thing is to never give up and keep trying because those who try always win in the end.

I, naturalHorizon61, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

Suryansh August 18th, 2020

@GlenM

The three most things I have learned is :-

1. Our work matters a lot. Proud to be a volunteer on 7 Cups and helping a lots of peoples everyday. I am proud of all the 7 Cupers and congratulate them as we together are making a huge change in many epople's lives and we are saving a lots of people's life.

2. Failure is good to experience. Actually, this was the thing which is already very much fitted in my mind. Failure always gives another great opportunity to learn more and be much more better than before.

3. High Expectations High Warmth . It helps to grow ourselves in a more better manner, develop more valuable skills and be helpful to many others. It helps to become more fearless and confident enough to support many peoples.

I, SuryanshSingh, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

JustForHelpAndSmiles August 18th, 2020

Trust, Accountability, and dedicating time to help others stand out the most for me in the 7cups culture guide. I can only help someone if they trust me, with trust comes Accountability and once I become trustable and accountable for someone it becomed essential to dedicate time for them in order to maintain the two.

JustForHelpAndSmiles August 18th, 2020

I, JustForHelpAndSmiles, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

shiningCandy3455 August 18th, 2020

I learned from culture guidelines:

1.I learned from culture guidlines:

1.The 7 cups culture of high expectations and high warmth.

2. We should work really hard to improve and do not procrastinate.

3. Whenever i need help reach right sources.

redBalloon6821 August 18th, 2020

@GlenM

I, redBalloon6821, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

focuslife August 19th, 2020

@GlenM

Top 3 things I have learned:

1) Helping others let you grow more as a person. I believe this is important because knowing that the work done here is beneficial for both the members and listeners gives motivation.

2) Everyone is different and nobody has to live according to your own norms. I believe this is important so that people become more acceptive of others that are different from them and empathize with them.

3) Learning is an endless process. I believe this is important because every person you meet and listen to have the ability to impact your life and help you learn more.

I, focuslife, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

KristinaJ86 August 19th, 2020

@KristinaJ86, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

The 3 most important things that I have learned are:

1. High expectations and high warmth. This is important to me as it shows that 7 Cups is a place that everyone can grow but we are also pushed in the direction that we can go. The company also understands that everyone has their own strengths and that we can all build on them. We also know that if we need support in any area, that if we ask we can get what we need. We should also be available to give support and help to others.

2. Trust: This is very important to me as as in any relationship there should and must be trust. If we do not trust the people that we work with, it will be hard to do the job that we do. Without trust, we would not ask for support or help others. Trust ensures that we are able to call on others and know that we will all do our part to achieve the same goal which is to help others in need.

3. Skin in the game: This concept was important to me. For those who have watched the musical Hamilton, you will know that in order to make change, you need to put yourself within the throws of the action. If you sit by the sidelines, you will not be able to say that you helped to get something done By being fully involved in the 7 Cups community as best you can, you are a part of something great where you will be able to say that you achieved this with others. If you were not involved, you cannot say that you had a hand in it. You will also get out what you put in - nothing!

KristinaJ86 August 19th, 2020

@GlenM

ArmidaAmstutz August 20th, 2020

It was really a mind warming experience.

Courtney352 August 20th, 2020

I have learned:

That we all can fail but that it's something we can use in order to self improve.

That while 7 Cups has high expectations of me as a listener that it will support me in reaching those expectations.

That being a listener can save lives - sometimes this is overlooked as we are not a crisis service but we can help before a situation develops into a crisis situation and sometimes prevent it.

I, Courtney352 , have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

usefulSummer3139 August 20th, 2020

@GlenM

The three things I learnt are:

1) "Failure is growth."

2) Whatever little I do to help someone out, matters! Also, "with a few chosen words, we have the power to either make someone's day or ruin it."

3) Take care of yourself and have fun during the journey ☀️.

I, usefulSummer3139, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

sereneSound3982 August 20th, 2020

I have learned:

That we all can fail but that it's something we can use in order to self improve.

That while 7 Cups has high expectations of me as a listener that it will support me in reaching those expectations.

That being a listener can save lives - sometimes this is overlooked as we are not a crisis service but we can help before a situation develops into a crisis situation and sometimes prevent it.

I, sereneSound3982 , have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

KindCass August 20th, 2020

I have learned:

1) Although you might think having low expectation and high warmth might be good, it often puts us in a state of no progress getting done. So high warmth and high expectation is a must.

2) Failure is a given and it's okay if you don't work with things, because often there is something else that you are good at and 7cups is happy to work with your strengths and weaknesses.

3) Trust is someting 7cups values a lot and often appears as you read through the culture guide, and it's frequent appearance is justified for the sole reason of allowing growth.

I, KindCass, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder

AnniAsian August 22nd, 2020

@GlenM

I, AnniAsian, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test 20/20, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder!

1. Community and Teamwork are essential to the 7 Cups culture, this is important because it allows transparency to how supportive, patient, and accountable all the listeners are!

2. We have high expectations, that is important because we are able to expect and produce good results for our listeners and our members alike!

3. We are focused on the problems in front of us rather than a culture of catering to feelings, this is important because we build authenticity with our members and remain professional!

SloJackCrow August 22nd, 2020

@GlenM

The three most important things I learned from this process are:

1. The 7 Cups values. This gave me a framework to better understand the organization.

2. The idea to work on the most pressing problem. Although it seems intuitive, we often get overwhelmed by believing we have to simultaneously resolve all of our problems.

3. The idea that failure is expected. I'm going to guess that a lot of other newbies are feeling anxiety associated with the thought of failure, just like I am. This gives me some space to handle the anxiety.

SloJackCrow August 22nd, 2020

@GlenM

I, SloJackCrow, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

shr29 August 22nd, 2020

I have learned that,

Every beautiful and small detail of life from the big picture takes its own time to make the picture big.

Every rainbow has a slope downward but there is always a pot of gold at the end.

Life is but a mere fragment of a petal of a flower, sometimes wet, sometimes dull, sometimes bright and sometimes shrivelled.

ocelotegg August 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

Three things I've learned that are important to me:

1. 7 Cups is a community based on trust. We have to show accountability and be conscientious so that Listeners and Members can trust us.

2. Volunteer work at 7 Cups is strengths-based, and we should all be sure to operate out of our strengths.

3. At 7 Cups, failure is expected and nothing to be afraid of, so long as we are always trying our best.

I, Ocelotegg, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder. :)!

competentArrow49 August 23rd, 2020

@GlenM
I, competentArrow49, have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.

ComradeKat August 23rd, 2020

Three things i learned

Taking Care of ourselves: Its important to take care of ourselves, 7 Cups dont differentiate between our personal self and work self.

Failure : Failure is bound to happen at one point or another, its a part of learning, so we should keep trying and learning more...

Equality & Collaboration : Every individual here is valued and contriubutes in the common goal and purpose. 7 cups thrives on this diversity and i a colloborative enterprise....

I KomradeCat have read the 7 Cups culture guide, taken the test, and am now a 7 Cups Culture Holder.