Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Introducing Kiell, our new product design intern!

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn October 17th, 2017

Just a month or so ago I was talking to @glenM about how we could get more done with our product team, especially now that we have a third developer, Bilal, helping us, and he asked if an intern would make a difference. I said yes definitely!

I love the apprenticeship model where someone who needs to learn and gain experience works side-by-side (or as close as you can do this online) with a senior person who can teach and share and explain the work as it comes. The apprentice takes on some of the workload and gets rapid experience in return. The mentor gets assistance and someone to help think through solutions with. Win-win-win!

I reached out to my network and quickly heard from some very promising candidates. We did a series of interview and considered a few candidates very seriously before settling on the best fit, Kiell (@NorthShoreSwimmer).

Kiell came highly recommended and had recently completed an intensive user experience research and design "bootcamp." She's been getting up to speed the past few weeks and I wanted to introduce her to the community, since the way we design and build 7 Cups has always been very much in collaboration with all of you.

I am going to be asking Kiell to help out with many of our top priorities, among them some special projects with teens, which @Laura and @NorthShoreSwimmer will be sharing about soon.

Please join me now in welcoming Kiell to the team and to the community, and if you see her in the forums or in group chat please be sure to say hello!

Here is a little more about Kiell in her own words (once @laura puts up an alert for this thread tomorrow, @NorthShorewimmer should be around to reply and say hi back :D):

Hi, I'm Kiell (pronounced "Kyle") and I'm super excited to be a part of this community! I'm working at 7 Cups part time as a User Experience Designer. My goal is to learn about the needs of individuals as well as the community in order to make the app and website better for the people that use it (that means you!)

A little about me: in my free time I love traveling, writing, printmaking, riding my bike, and swimming whenever possible. I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

P.S.: (Reminder) Kiell's listener username is @NorthShoreSwimmer

Alikonoo October 17th, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

hello Kiell 😁 welcome to 7cups I hope you have a fantastic time here. Best of luck🙏

NorthShoreSwimmer October 17th, 2017

@Alikonoo Thank you so much!

SunShineAlwaysGrateful October 17th, 2017

@NorthShoreSwimmer welcome!!

jovialScenery77 October 18th, 2017

@NorthShoreSwimmer Kiell, get a unique profile picture, that way you can be unique too. :)

LeetheUnicorn October 17th, 2017

@NorthShoreSwimmer

Welcome and congrats and woohoo a fellow Minnesotan

@Eccho Thank you! Yay Minnesota! It's so pretty here right now :)

ladylazarus1971 October 17th, 2017

@Kiell, welcome to Cups. I hope your experience here is a fantastic one!

@ladylazarus1971 Thank you, everything has been really great, the community is so welcoming!

Saif1for1Resilience October 17th, 2017

@NorthShoreSwimmer Welcome kielle. Glad to see your enthusism.

terrytee October 17th, 2017

Welcome to 7 Cups Kiell!!!! Hope that 7 Cups will continue to grow and improve :D

@terrytee Thank you! I have some project ideas already but I am always looking for feedback! :)

Kate October 17th, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn YAY KIELL!! <3

@lovelyllama13 Thanks Kate! :)

Laura October 17th, 2017

I am very excited to have Kiell on the team! Welcome Kiell! The community is happy to have you!

Thanks @Laura I'm so happy to be here!

Raveninthelabrynth October 17th, 2017

Welcome Kiell, best of luck and skill to you in your new post. smiley

@Raveninthelabrynth Thank you, I appreciate the well wishes!

Erato October 17th, 2017

OMG hello Kiell! That's a cool name XD Welcome to the team and congratulations! *shares some pizza with you*

@Erato Thank you thank you! (I love pizza!)

vivelespatates October 17th, 2017

wonderful!

@vivelespatates Thank you! :)

Anomalia October 17th, 2017

@NorthShoreSwimmer - Welcome, Kiell! Looking forward to working with you :)

Thanks @Anomalia, likewise!

Zizy October 17th, 2017

So awesome - makes me excited to see what the future holds :D

@ZizyTheTurtle yay! Me too!

kindofblue October 17th, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn congrats on the new team mate.

@NorthShoreSwimmer it's good to meet you. We don't bite! :D

@kindofblue It's nice to meet you too! I'm so happy to be here!

calmSoul60 October 17th, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

Welcome kiell, we ate absulotely excited to have you in our lovely community.

@calmSoul60 Thank you, I feel so lucky to be here!

SunFern October 17th, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

@NorthShoreSwimmer yaaayy ! welcome and congrats . best wishes for you and the team.

@SunFern Thank you so much!

bunnypants October 17th, 2017

@NorthShoreSwimmer *sniffs ur hed sniffs it!!!!* =o.o=

Hi @bunnypants!

(\ /)
( . .)
C(")(")

DaveMcGrath October 17th, 2017

Welcome to 7cups, let the intern exploitation begin! :P

I remember my first internship... must have been 20 years ago. It was a real uphill both ways sort of slog. Was a good experience all around though, can't complain.

@DaveMcGrath Ha, I'm ready! Yes there is a lot to learn but I am so glad to be here!

funnySong16 October 17th, 2017

Welcome kiell, we are absulotely excited to have you in our lovely community. Nice to meet you

@funnySong16 Thank you, nice to meet you too!

hypnosis October 17th, 2017

@NorthShoreSwimmer welcome to the team and community! What a milestone you just achieved! I look forward to seeing how you can help improve the design of this site!

@hypnosis Thank you!

Originalsky777 October 17th, 2017

North shore swimmer welcome to 7 cups im sure you'll do fantastic in your new role,best wishes 😎will be sure to say hi if I see you in rooms😎