Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Building Self-Esteem Series: Learning from Others

Hope February 20th

Hi everyone! I hope you are doing well. Thank you for participating in the Building Self-esteem series. This week we have an exciting post! We have two community users who you may have interacted with/seen who are sharing their own experiences with building their self-esteem.  Thank you to @pandanfe and @Kristynsmama for contributing to this post and sharing their experiences. 

The following are their reflections: 

At what point did you start this journey and what steps did you take early on?

Pandanfe: I’ve been an early meditation practitioner. So, self-esteem was always a part of my lifestyle. Maybe if it wasn’t for early meditation, I wouldn't have these things like self-love, self-esteem. 

Kristynsmama: I actually started this journey to better self esteem in high school.  (Secondary school for some).  The most important step that I took early on was seeking the support of a licensed and qualified therapist.  She taught me a lot of skills that I could use at home such as positive affirmations and gratitude.

What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?

Pandanfe:  Sometimes challenges could be that some other people are trying to give their unnecessary opinions without base which could lead to self-doubt. And me being a non-social human makes it harder. But when I analyze the situation properly, I can make better decisions. 

Kristynsmama: My biggest challenge by far was my negative self talk.  Every time I said something negative to myself I had to try to undo it.  It seemed like I was trying to undo negative self talk on a daily basis!

What are your tips for people who want to have better self-esteem?

Pandanfe: 

• Knowing that you need no validation from others if you trust the process 
  • Self-love is really important because if you’re treating yourself better, no one else is gonna treat you the wrong way 
  • Keeping healthy boundaries is really important 
  • And learning detachment from toxicity is must 

Kristynsmama: There is a book that was very helpful to me by Rhonda Britten.  It’s called Change your Life in 30 Days.  In that book, I learned that my self confidence is very much like a muscle.  When you go to the gym and exercise regularly, you get stronger.  Confidence and self esteem is the same way.  The more you use it, the stronger it gets.  And if you don’t use it, you lose it!

How can I build self-esteem when I don’t like myself?

Pandanfe: Then practicing self-love first is recommended. 

Kristynsmama: The opposite of hate is love.  Practicing self love was the only solution to my self hatred.

How do I develop self-respect for myself when I find it hard to respect myself?

Pandanfe: In this case it’s better to acknowledge what is that thing about you, that’s not letting you keep yourself at a higher position. Once you acknowledge it, it’s better to work on the root cause of low esteem.  Pro tips towards self esteem: Learn to cultivate self esteem through small steps like self-care, putting boundaries, starting to open up, mastering the technique of detachment etc. In case you wanna check how I developed more self-love you can do so by reading this post. 🔗

Kristynsmama: Viewing yourself with respect and love IS a choice.  You can choose to view yourself with love and respect or you can choose not to.  The one thing I learned though is that the more I choose the hatred path, the more I remain a victim of my own low self esteem. Pro tips towards self esteem: Learn to cultivate self esteem through small random acts of kindness.  When you are thinking of ways you can be of service to someone else, you don’t spend as much time trash talking yourself. In case you wanna check how random acts of kindness have changed my life, check out this post 🔗

When we look at both the reflections, we find some similarities in their journeys and some room for different approaches to building self-esteem. Both Pandan and Kristy started their journeys to better self-esteem early on, facing challenges like negativity and self-doubt. They overcame them through various methods, including seeking professional help, positive self-talk, and self-love practices.

Pandanfe emphasizes:

• Self-love and trust in the process
  • Healthy boundaries and detachment from negativity
  • Small steps like self-care and opening-up

Kristynsmama highlights:

• Self-respect as a choice and the power of positivity
  • Building self-esteem like a muscle through consistent effort
  • Random acts of kindness to shift focus and boost confidence

Both agree that self-love is crucial and offer resources for further exploration. Remember, building self-esteem is a journey, start small, be kind to yourself, and celebrate progress!

Tasks for this week 

• After reading both Pandanfe and Kristynsmama’s shares, Whose experience feels more relatable to you in your own journey? Are there any specific tips or techniques shared by either Pandan or Kristy that you'd like to try or incorporate into your own efforts?
  • (Optional) Do you have any specific questions for Pandan or Kristy? (You can ask them to elaborate on their techniques or something they mentioned that you are curious about). Please ask questions relevant to their building self-esteem journey. 

This post is part of the Building Self-esteem series! You can find all the posts of the series linked here. 

Kristynsmama February 21st

@Ubebe

i love that you were able to take something away from each perspective and see how it applies to you and your life.

pandanfe February 21st

@Ubebe

Since you didn't face and relate to both of us, i'm really curious to hear your journey to building self-esteem (that is if you don't mind sharing 💛) 

Ubebe February 22nd

@pandanfe 

It was at the point in my life where I've been crying every day for months, and I'm really hurt, but I don't know why it pains me a lot when it was not that deep when things happened (interactions with people). I realized I was not the best version of myself, and I barely have memories where I'm happy. It took a lot of self-reflection and journals to find that there's a lot to heal. One challenge with which I'm still dealing is my anxiety. It's honestly a hard combo when you're an introvert and have social anxiety. I believe, and I saw progress, that dealing with my anxiety can help me improve my self-esteem. My mind is not that foggy compared to before, and other people's presence doesn't scare me anymore. I also spend some time just observing people and how they carry themselves. I research, understand the meaning behind it, and try to apply what I learn from it. I've gained back a little of my self-esteem, and hopefully more will come. 

pandanfe February 22nd

@Ubebe

You've come very far with practicing to build self-esteem. And indeed there's more to come. Deep understanding and learning from it is a good approach to tackling any traits. I hope you get over your anxiety too 💛 

cautiousVixen February 21st

Thank you both, @Pandanfe & @Kristynsmama for sharing your experiences from your journey. You both kind of make me hopeful that this is something everyone, even I, can succeed at.

After reading both stories, I feel like I can relate to different parts of each story. For me, therapy is also a crucial part. Without it, I wouldn't have even realized that my mind was constantly busy trash talking myself. Still, despite spending years on therapy already, I feel like I've still got a long way to go.

What Kristynsmama shared about the daily negative self-talk really sounds like what I'm doing regularly. It's like battling yourself on a daily basis.

@Kristynsmama May I ask you what helped you to undo the negative self talk you were facing each day?

pandanfe February 21st

@cautiousVixen

You're right. Everyone including you can build self-esteem. It may take small to long time depending on different person. there would be good and bad days that you'll have to face, but never never never lose hope. Because eventually someday you'll be able to bring out that hidden part of you that'll respect you no matter what 💛

Kristynsmama February 22nd

@cautiousVixen. I have not forgotten about responding to your post.  I want to give it the thought and attention it deserves.  But I do want to say that yes, absolutely, there is hope…. Even for you.  I am not the same person I was 20 years ago.  And improved self esteem is one of the biggest changes I’ve made in my life!  I will answer your question about what has helped me by the end of the day. 

Kristynsmama February 23rd

@cautiousVixen

i did a lot of affirmations and acknowledgments of myself.   I also did a lot of counter journaling.  I would divide my paper in half.  On the left side I would write down a negative thought.  And I on the right side, I would write down the opposite or what I wanted to believe.  I would read it over and over again and everytime I read the positive I would finish it with, @I know this to be true.”

KatePersephone February 22nd

@Hope

• After reading both Pandanfe and Kristynsmama’s shares, Whose experience feels more relatable to you in your own journey? Are there any specific tips or techniques shared by either Pandan or Kristy that you'd like to try or incorporate into your own efforts?
    i think kristynsmama's experience feels more relatable to me. i am thinking of trying out the keeping healthy boundaries technique that pandanfe shared.
CordialDancer February 23rd

@Hope

After reading both Pandanfe and Kristynsmama’s shares, Whose experience feels more relatable to you in your own journey? Are there any specific tips or techniques shared by either Pandan or Kristy that you'd like to try or incorporate into your own efforts?

I felt that I related more to Pandanfe in my journey. This is due to their mention of having self-doubt and working on detaching from toxicity. I know these are areas that have come up again and again for me to work on. I would like to incorporate Pandanfe's insight into discovering root causes and Kristynsmama's encouragement of exercising confidence and self-esteem as I would greatly benefit. Thank you both for sharing with us all!

orangish February 24th

i related to both of their experiences a little bit but i feel my journey has been more like kristy's. she describes some of the techniques that i am practicing right now. she talks about replacing our negative thoughts with a positive one and i would like to ask her did she ever feel overwhelmed by the quantity of her negative thoughts ?

i am trying to talk to myself with self compassion and somedays i feel that i have too much negativity and it is very hard to persist. @Kristynsmama

i read @pandanfe 's post about a month of self love acts and i liked it very much and i am thinking of doing something similar for myself.

honestly, reading both of their experiences felt reassuring, that building self esteem is achievable and has been done by people like me.

Kristynsmama February 24th

@orangish

thank you so much for your response.  I absolutely was overwhelmed with the number of negative thoughts that I had running through my head, especially early on.  The more I worked on it, the less overwhelming it was.  One thing that help d me with the feeling of being overwhelmed was deep breathing when I felt anxious.

orangish February 24th

thank you for the tip. i definitely plan on persisting as long as it takes.

Kristynsmama February 29th

@orangish. Just remember to take things one step at a time.  That helped me too when I felt overwhelmed.

orangish March 5th

💚

pandanfe February 24th

@orangish

We believe in you. You're capable of more than you've appreciated yourself for. I wish you wonderful journey to personal development 💛

orangish February 24th

thank you so much. you're very kind 💚

4Jasmine February 24th

@Hope

Self love and self respect are very important parts of self-care! 

enigmaticpanda4152 February 25th

@Hope

Thanks Hope for creating this post.

Thanks Pandan and Kristy for sharing your e experiences with us.

It's really helpful for those who need to find or rebuild their self esteem.

Hope OP March 4th

@enigmaticpanda4152

I am glad you found it beneficial!

4Jasmine February 28th

@Hope

I used to be full of self-esteem, self-love, and trust. Life sent me a bunch of difficult curve balls, and in all the turmoil, I lost myself. I'm working towards getting back to my positive, loving, caring self. I'm already starting to move in the right direction. Focusing on others is a great way to do this. Caring about others is a wonderful thing!😊

Hope OP March 4th

@4Jasmine

Progress is rarely linear. I am glad you are moving in the right direction!

IchooseLife79 February 29th

I feel like I can relate to both shares. Thank you @Pandanfe and @Kristynsmama for sharing!

Right now I'm working on building self care habits and challenging my negative thoughts. It was good to hear both shares for me. :)

pandanfe March 1st

@IchooseLife79 You got this 💕 We're here to support you if you need any sort of motivation and guidance. Also don't forget to share your journey with us <3

Suen00 March 12th

@Hope

I relate to Pandanfe in that my journey started with meditation. I visited a psychologist at school but at the time I wasn't open to receiving her advice, it wasn't my option to see her. I also struggle with people's opinions, but nowadays it bothers me more than impacts me because I know most of the time they don't know half of the story and that's why they're so quick to judge. My mistake was to believe them. I believe we all do need validation, that's what listeners here do, validate our emotions. What we should be careful with is where is this validation coming from, if it's my long-life therapist I value it but if it's a colleague from work with whom I barely speak I don't care too much, unless it's pertinent professional advice.

Harmony8682 March 27th

@Hope

I related to Kristynsmama's reflection because I suffer with negative thoughts and  self hate and I am trying to accept criticism more and be more kind to myself. 

Gettingbettertoday March 27th

@Hope

I can't relate to either since both of them tackled this early in life. I am 57 and have always based my self worth in what I could accomplish which was quite a lot when I was young. Now I can do just a fraction. 

P.S. I don't believe in the intrinsic value of humans. 

@Hope

After reading both Pandanfe and Kristynsmama’s shares, Whose experience feels more relatable to you in your own journey? Are there any specific tips or techniques shared by either Pandan or Kristy that you'd like to try or incorporate into your own efforts?

I think I can relate to both Pandan and Kristy in some ways. Like I can very much relate to dealing with random comments from others that make me doubt myself, and I can relate to dealing with negative self talk. But I think Kristy's experience feels a little more relatable. As for techniques shared that I'd like to try to incorporate into my efforts, I think dealing with negativity, setting boundaries, and doing random acts of kindness hehe.

SilverSeastar March 31st

I relate more to Kristy's experience. I also sought support from a therapist and learnt a lot from her. I love how Kristy highlighted that confidence and self-esteem can be built like a muscle, and we can also lose them.

I would incorporate viewing myself with love and respect. I would also love to read Change your Life in 30 Days when I can make time for it.