Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

If you became your culture’s food ambassador, what would be the three dishes that you recommend?

chyni November 15th, 2023

im-making-a-traditional-dish-ahmed.gif

Clarezg November 16th, 2023

@chyni I'm Chinese but there are truly too many good Chinese dishes so three I would recommend from my parents home town of Chongqing are hotpot, Chongqing noodles and brown sugar glutinous rice cakes!

chyni OP November 16th, 2023

@Clarezg

i searched the web for all these and they look so good 🤤 thank you so much for sharing 

Tinywhisper11 November 16th, 2023

@Clarezg if it looks like Styrofoam, if it feels like Styrofoam, if it tastes like Styrofoam, then it's definetly a rice cracker😂😂😂😂😂 only joking ❤❤ ❤

yourfriendandyourshoulder November 16th, 2023

I'm Indonesian there's many delicious foods here but I'll go with nasi goreng (fried rice), mie goreng (fried noodle) and mie ayam bakso (chicken noodle with meatball) @chyni

@yourfriendandyourshoulder

i researched these, i’d definitely love to try the fried rice and fried noodles 🥺🫶🏽 they all look so good. i appreciate you for taking the time out to sharing a small part of your culture with us 

yourfriendandyourshoulder November 16th, 2023

if you like sweet things maybe martabak manis and pisang goreng @chyni

@yourfriendandyourshoulder

in my culture, we make banana fritter as well 🫶🏽 thanks for the suggestions 

Impancake November 18th, 2023

I want to know how you make a chicken noodle with meatball 🤤🧆... I like to throw brown sugar, orange juice, hot sauce and soy sauce on some fried noodles 😂

@chyni ok so I'm in the UK and as head ambassador chef person the three dishes I recommend is 

a full English breakfast (bacon, sausage, egg, hashbrowns, mushrooms, beans and toast)

Fish and chips. (Always with a battered cod)

Welsh rarebit (this is Wales signature dish, and it's actually just cheese on toast)

Special extra dish recomendation..... Icecream😋

@Tinywhisper11

all these sound really good lola ☺️ now i’m hungry 🤤 thank you for sharing 

niceSea1350 November 16th, 2023

@chyni  I grew up in the Southeastern United States, with a really tough great grandma that thrived through the Great Depression, and these would be the three that I would say she taught me that I really love (and most people hate, if they did not grow up with it lol).

Collard Greens with Fried Cornbread

Black Eyed Peas with Buttered Rice

Fried Liver 'n Onions with Dark, Rich Gravy over Buttered Rice

She's been off in heaven, looking for a mansion with an amazing kitchen for us to share for about 13 years now and when I want to feel like she is here, I cook any one of these dishes (I dont have recipes, I just remember it, a dab of this and a dab of that to taste lol) and they are sooooo good.  

Thanks for sharing, everyone!  I looooove to look up new dishes and try them! 😀

(Honorable Mention: Chicken Pot Pie would be the comfort food from childhood that I would make and share, if a guest were to ask me to cook.  It is delicious and everyone likes it!)

@niceSea1350 I'll have some chicken pot pie please 😁 and icecream for dessert😋

Those dishes sound so gross 😝 but I'm sure your sweet amazing grandma made them delicious with a extra dab of love ❤❤

@Tinywhisper11  @Tinywhisper11  What a coincidence!  I just put some Chicken Pot Pie in the freezer yesterday, and I have ice cream.  Bourbon vanilla (I usually add Reese's cups, caramel sauce, whipped cream and sprinkles).  You are welcome!  😁🥰

And yes, everyone says that, and yes, I would probably agree, if not for my grandma.  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

@niceSea1350 yaaay! Your as some just a nice bowl of hot pot and a bucket of ice cream please😁😁 and in return you can have 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 you can have this🍙 I think it's a judges wig 😁

@Tinywhisper11  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

le-bron-wig.gif

@niceSea1350

none of these sound gross to me, as i’ve had similar dishes already and i enjoyed them, thank you for sharing, i appreciate you and your grandma ❤️

@chyni quby-quby-sticker.gif

So sweet of thought. Other day my friend couldnt think of a meal to make with no noodles and they didn't want Mexican. So i recommend pot pie and my pan . They are vegan two days a week so went just the vegetables pot pie. I altered the recipe with fake Mac n cheese as optional side dish .(I blend nutritional yeast, mustard, lime juice to make a consistency and taste similar)

For my dad every new year we have to eat black eyed peas, some ham, green collards, potatoes, (i have the box they used to lock the sugar in for sweet teas on sunday 😂

sadcat13 November 16th, 2023

@chyni Taste Slovakia with dumplings with sheep cheese (our most iconic food), sauerkraut soup and some cheeses.

@sadcat13 also we have this meal called šúlance what is basically potato based dough, and can be filled or topped with different things, best ones are with poppy seeds in my oppinion.

@sadcat13 😮😮😮😮you make cheese out of sheep😱poor fluffy sheep 🐑, but they do make great minted lamb chops😋

@Tinywhisper11 well. Sometimes sacrifices need to be made for the kitchen lol

@sadcat13

which is right 😭😂 thanks for sharing, all these sound like really tasty dishes.. idk about the sheep cheese though, if it taste like goat cheese i don’t want it, goat cheese physically make me gag 

@chyni well. I dont eat it personally, but we also have dumplings with sauerkraut, and i love those. May be a better alternative for you if you are not sure about sheep cheese

chyni OP November 21st, 2023

@sadcat13 

ouu, without the cheese your sauerkraut soup kinda look like chicken soup in my culture, but with a lot more ingredients ❤️ again, thank you for sharing 

AnnaBanana06 November 16th, 2023

A Filipino dish that you’ll never get tired of is Adobo, a Stewed chicken Or pork in garlic, bay leaves, Pepper corn, siysauce and vinegar ( though its versatile theres so many versions and Style of cooking) . Another one is Sinigang, a soup stewed characterized with each sour and savoury taste. One of the more popular dishes in Filipino Cuisine. It has variations of Chicken, Pork, beef, shrimp, vegetables, long green Pepper , onions and the main ingredients Tamarind ( though now to make it easier if tamarind isnt available , theres a ta,ari nd soup base in Asian Groceries). Who can say no to Cheesecake as dessert. Citrus Cheesecake is one of my specialty to make .

@AnnaBanana06

ouu, meat 🤤 i love anything with meat, especially pork ❤️ my weak spot, lol. thanks for sharing, all these sound delicious 

AnnaBanana06 November 19th, 2023

@chyni yes its an est recipe too, when i went to Culinary School, i cooked it and served it with Rice...

chyni OP November 21st, 2023

@AnnaBanana06

🥺 i’d wanna taste some of that food 

ItsReganingRain November 16th, 2023

@chyni

If you're asking about England: fish and chips, roast lamb, shepherd's pie.

If you're asking about Sri Lanka: hoppers, kothu roti, pol roti (the thick kind you eat with spicy chicken and katta sambol, and the thin kind you eat with butter and sugar!)

@ItsReganingRain

thank you for sharing. i absolutely love roti, never heard of pol roti but i research it and i just might try it, looks really good, plus i love spicy foods 🫶🏽❤️

Torean November 16th, 2023

@chyni

Hmm, I'm more Polish than anything, but the only Polish food that I'm accustomed to is golumpkis, otherwise known as stuffed cabbage rolls.  

@Torean

ouu, sounds good 🤤 and the image looks good as well. thanks for sharing torean, much appreciated 

RowingRat November 17th, 2023

@chyni im Mixed Race so kind of cheating a little bit with this one…

1. English: hunters chicken : chicken wrapped in bacon with bbq sauce 

2. Sri Lankan: I’m not sure of the name, but fried banana balls / doughnuts with sugar and flour

3. english: sticky toffee pudding

chyni OP November 17th, 2023

@RowingRat

ouu, all these dishes sound really nice 🤤 thanks for sharing 🫶🏽

TareqRafiqul November 17th, 2023

Bakarkhani with milk tea for breakfast 🇧🇩

@TareqRafiqul

thank you for sharing 🫶🏽 this looks like something i can add to my cook book 🙃

communicativePond1728 November 17th, 2023

@chyni

I'm Metis, Scandinavian and Eurasian and I haven't found a fusion of those existing.

So I technically couldn't really recommend anything...unless I separated my mixed heritage and gave one for each.

I don't know much about them though, tbh.

If I had to answer I'd maybe say mushroom turnovers, nalesniki or pyrajok, but I've never seen them exist outside my babas kitchen so.

@communicativePond1728

oh, that’s okay.. thank you for sharing nevertheless ❤️  your mushroom turnovers look a lot like something in my culture we call “patty”