Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Understanding 7 Cups Culture (LDP Discussion #5)

GlenM July 28th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity. Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

We are wrapping up the first course today with our last discussion on culture. Look for more instructions in this post to take the final evaluation for the course to your graduation. Once you have this course complete, you will be 20% done the Leadership Development Program. Good work!

Let's start by looking at the wikipedia definition of culture:

--Culture (/ÃkÃltÃÃr/) is an umbrella term which encompasses the social behavior and norms found in human societies, as well as the knowledge, beliefs, arts, laws, customs, capabilities, and habits of the individuals in these groups.[1]

We take culture seriously on 7 Cups because it is the heart of how we operate. A wise person once said: You teach what you know, but you reproduce who you are. We can have all of the best training content we want, but if our culture is not strong, then we will not be successful in growing a thriving, compassionate, community that will make a global impact.

Every organization has a culture whether by design or by default. When culture (including values and mission are not called out or made explicit, the organization defaults to an implicit or unstated culture. The unnamed culture is not always great for the end users or the community. An example of a common and implicit cultural rule or norm is that the person that makes the most money or the organization is the most important. People that work in this organization then, naturally, because it is the culture, start organizing themselves around ways to make more and more money. The ones at the top of the hierarchy are the ones that make the most money. 7 Cups cares less about money and more about compassion. We call out compassion and celebrate compassionate people because that is central to the work we do.

Please read our guide here to deeply understand our culture. We have made it explicit because we believe it is important to help us all be accountable to what we stand for and believe in. As leaders on 7 Cups, you will be models that emulate our culture and values.

One theme you'll notice in our guide is that it is very proactive, which is the opposite of reactive. We act first, we design first, we implement first in order to make an impact. Companies that react allow events to shape them; we instead try to focus on where we can have influence and shape events before they shape our community.

Part of being proactive is critical because building culture online is more challenging than building a culture offline. Offline interpersonal and group relationships are easier in a number of ways. People are generally much better behaved when they are right in front of you and it is easier for people to sync up and work towards a common goal. Online cultures have less of these natural strengths so you have to be extra proactive to build a strong culture. Look at most communities on the Internet. Unfortunately, they tend to devolve and become less than safe places with a lot of hate, sexual, and harmful behaviors. Our training system, the badges, word filters, moderators, etc. (dozens of behaviors we do) are all designed to proactively build and reinforce our culture so that we do not experience this same kind of entropy. Internet culture can be like an escalator going down. You have to be very proactive and take 2 or 3 steps up at a time to maintain and strengthen gains. As a leader on 7 Cups, you will be part of that group that gets behind us and enables us to continue making forward momentum.

That provides the broader background context to why we care so much about our culture and values at 7 Cups. They are core to our work.

To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

After posting, please...

1. Take the course exam here to complete course 1.
2. Take the leadership oath here
3. Fill out the End of Trial form to complete your trial!
4. Proceed to Course 2!

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

fancycloud1234 September 24th, 2022

@GlenM

1. We expect failure - Failure is nothing to be scared of and nothing to worry about as long as you are focused and trying.

2. Strengths-based - You have strengths – things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states.

3. High Expectations & High Warmth - We are all accountable. When we are not performing as well as we want, we ask for help and feedback so that we can perform better.

yourbuddy30 October 2nd, 2022

@fancycloud1234 Thank you for sharing what you liked about that. The line where it says we should be afraid to failure has changed my perspective about things

November 2nd, 2022

@fancycloud1234

i think all 3 points you brought up is important for you on cups journey.

iCareUK September 26th, 2022

@GlenM

To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

1) My work matters - This is important because I have lived a life of reject and neglect where nobody cares about me, and this work ethic gives me so much happiness and confidence,

2) 7 cups wants to push us to be the best we can be by offering a wide range of training, love and support whilst also being proactive and ensuring the wellbeing of the company and it's listeners and members - As above, it's nice to know there are great caring people here who actually care about my successes, nobody has ever given me a chance before.

3) 7 cups allows people to take a break when needed - This is a key thing to me if I ever get too overwhelmed, not only can I take a step back, but support is there for me too on my member account.

@iCareUK I agree, those are few nice points mentioned in the culture guide. self-care is really important

November 2nd, 2022

@iCareUK

I truly think self care to a must to be successful on cups.

@GlenM The three most important things I have learned from the guide is

1st-: Trust. I believe trust is the foundation of 7 cups. Not only here it is the foundation of any relationship outside cups too. Confidentiality is one of the most important guidelines of 7 cups and I believe it is our duty to follow that. Our members are very brave in trusting and confiding in us and it is our responsibility to live up to their expectations of trusting us.

2nd-: Investing in us. Listening is something I am good at, interests me and I can work and help my members reach their solution to the problem they are facing. Leadership role here also satisfies the above role. It is something I enjoy doing, I am good at, and I can help people in their journeys here at cups. I have also learnt about my strengths which can be useful in my role here as a leader. I also want this program to make me an expert in what I do as there is a lot to learn from this leadership program and I enjoy being a part of this.

3rd-: collaborate. I believe through collective discussions among people can help us reach a solution to a problem and I aim on doing that. There is a saying in Hindi, which says 2 is better than 1 and 3 is better than two people. I believe that. I am open to new ideas and constructive feedback and learn from them. Failures are important as there is so much to learn from them. As a leader, it is important to be open to feedback and I am ready to learn and improve myself.

4th-: Accountability. Being efficient, effective and completing a certain task before the given deadline is something I can commit to and work towards it

November 2nd, 2022

@yourbuddy30

i think trust and getting the work done goes hand and hand.

CosmicMiracle October 24th, 2022

Please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

We invest in you. People rarely invest in me. I can't even remember anyone investing in me apart from my parents. Subconsciously, this is the case. I've known it to be valid from the first moment I started studying at the 7 Cups Academy, but having the confirmation when I read about it in the 7 Cups culture article makes it feel all the more special. So thank you, 7 Cups.

Skin in the game. It is important that we are conscious of the fact that not everyone is comfortable with offering help. I believe if it's not something innate, no matter how much you train yourself, it won't manifest.

Not everyone will be a good fit. Pretty much like "skin in the game", it is nice that we embrace the idea that not everyone is meant to be a leader. The important thing is we can encourage more people to help in any way we can.
November 2nd, 2022

1 it’s ok. To make mistakes since mistakes is a good chance for a learning time.

2 I think it’s important to master all your skills before moving up to a higher roles.

3 it’s okay if a certain role domain is not the right fit for right fit for you.

zareya November 11th, 2022

@GlenM

please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

1. I learned how valuable and impactful our work truly is. I think it's amazing that we help over a million people each month, and that is something to keep in mind because we're impacting lives every day.

2. I learned about behaviors that drain us. These can be common behaviors and easy to do, especially getting distracted. But it is important to work on tasks that will keep our tanks full instead of draining them.

3. It is important to be accountable for our actions and what we do. Being accountable for ourselves will impact our work and commitment to what we do and our team and community as a whole.

BenittaJ November 14th, 2022

@GlenM

1.Grit.

Drive yourself, mental agility to push past barriers.

2.Believe in Equality.

Value equally everyone's background, work, and ideas; collaborate across teams and levels.

3.Have fun and keep full.

Enjoy the experience, take care of yourself in order to give back

chocolatebunnyy November 17th, 2022

@GlenM

3 things I learned from the guide was that our culture is made up of working hard: which is trying our best and improving as time goes on, trust: which is being someone that someone can depend and feel safe around, and that failure is important to learn from your mistakes.

Immakindlistener22 November 28th, 2022

@GlenM

1. I learned that what we do here, our work is important. We are contributing in making the world a better place, just by listening to others and letting them know we care and we are there for them.

2. Being kind is simply one of the best things. It allows you to open up, trust and just appreciate people.

3. it is very important to treat everyone equally. the community grows in a better pace if we respect and support one another.

Josh3889 December 2nd, 2022

Hello everyone,

Some big take a way's from this guide are the following, equality, being trusted & having fun. These are all important because we should be able to support whoever comes in, we should be able to trust one other & most importantly have fun.

iStarlight December 2nd, 2022

@GlenM

3 most important things I have learn from this guides and the reason they are important to me are :

1. To be Trusted where 7 cups trust us to reach its mission and have proper behavior to be celebrated and deliberatly cultivated and respect the fact that trust is the top key to build a culture of trust where members can trust us to share their stories and emotions.

2. To be World Class Expert as listener where i can be super interested and engaged in works to help the members by staying by their side, we will face challenges needed to be work on timeframe and manner to achieve.

3. To be taken care of myself where we need to sleep well, exercise, eat well, stay hydrated, surround ourself with loving people, take breaks, ask for help and face our own personal problems while we take break as listener for a meantime.

BrokenWingsThatFlew December 19th, 2022

@GlenM

Three important thing that I learnt from this guide and the reasons that I find them important are :

1. To be open minded. People all over the world need compassion and assuming or judging is hurtful! I learnt that I am very open minded..

2. To be supportive. Everyone needs someone that they can depend on! It's super important to be nurturing, reliable and dependant.

3. 7cups fosters a community of trust and that is very important to maintain and uphold. Confidentiality is the reason why people open up and are comfortable to share and it must be mantained for safety.

TheFantasticPengua December 21st, 2022

@GlenM

1. The trust. "We want to trust you and you want to trust us". I really like that system of reliability and accountability.

2. I also love the high-expectation aspect. We all have to put in the same amount of work and dedication to making 7 Cups what it is.

3. I like the collaboration aspect. It allows people to work together and improve their skills overall.

CurrySoup12 March 21st, 2023

@GlenM

Highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

My work matters! This is very validating and builds my confidence as a leader. Sometimes it can feel like our work is insignificant, but even helping one person cope with their feelings is important!

I love that we can help so many people with fewer resources. This is an excellent place built by proactiveness that can thrive because trusted people have taken the necessary steps to become listeners.

Collaboration is a big one. I've seen a ton of collaboration here and it's amazing to see a thriving community still operating after many years.

eternalCloud4864 March 27th, 2023

According to the guide the three things that matters

are

Accountability:

Trust

equality

they are impirtant to me because they all work hand in hand in leadership roles

a good leader must be able to give a good account of themeselves and the members

trust is also needed in every aspect

eternalCloud4864 April 3rd, 2023

The guide taught me that

Being Accountable

My Hardwork matters

trust

RainbowRosie April 12th, 2023

🌹 The guide taught me;

🌹 Try hard - for us to continue to work through things. Our work is important in that it helps others.

🌹 Collaborate - Helping others problem solve will help you to be more successful at 7 Cups. Few problems are solved alone. When you help others, they will be much more likely to return the favour and help you.

🌹 We expect failure - There is nothing to worry or be scared about as long as we are focused and will work. The key is to stay focused and keep trying.

Heart4art April 12th, 2023

@GlenM The three things I learned from the guide are the emphasis on helping those with less financial resources, helping people to become experts, and solving problems that matter. I feel like these things interrelate well. For example, 7 Cups solved a systemic problem with our mental heal care system by offering free training and in turn those people would help others in financial need mental health peer support.

serenePeace3726 January 30th

The three values that stuck out to me were (:

• Strength-based

• Collaborative

• Accessible

I think it's great that this platform is so accessible to everyone making mental health care more accessible to everyone. Even though the therapy is not free, meeting up with a listener is a step in the right direction. I also think it's wonderful to focus on peoples strengths and allow them to flourish in the proper place. Also collaboration is always key and successfully building a strong culture.

GlenM OP January 30th

@serenePeace3726 so good and love your mandela quote!

WishUponAStar968 February 12th

@GlenM

The main thing I learnt is that my listening, modding, being here on 7cups matters, my work helps members in need, someone to talk to, and perhaps even that chat can safe a persons life or make a person's day.

Two other things I also learned:

1) We build a culture of trust (we do not promote bullying, triangulation or exclusion). we accept all diversities and keep an open mind with respect.

2) high expectations and high warmth (very important! we want others and ourselves not to feel burn out but to also know achievement is there was proper accountability)

These are extremely important as when we talk to members, mod rooms and help in conflict (conflict resolution is key), members and listeners need trust myself not to give information to anyone else, not to spread gossip but to eliminate it and we are empathetic, open minded and understanding to help them navigate strategies they need.

GlenM OP February 12th

@WishUponAStar968 "my work matters" 1000% Y E S ! ! ! Thanks for sharing :)

Hope4Tomorrow32 May 19th

@GlenM To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.I would like to highlight Trust warmth and and helping others these three are important to me because it’s always easier to talk to someone who is warm and friendly or even to have a community of warm people Trust because it’s hard to to trust but when you have a community of trustworthy people it makes it easier and helping others succeed is something I wished every company would do it’s good to lift up others and not just think about self

yourbuddy30 May 19th

@Hope4Tomorrow32 Hello Hope. Please note that this is an outdated thread and we no longer use this for LDP. 

You would have received a mail containing all the right links.