Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Systems vs. Goals (Discussion 4)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

Welcome to our 4th discussion in this first course. In todays discussion, we will be talking about systems vs. goals.

To start, please read this post here  and watch this video.

The basic argument here is that having a system is better than having a goal. A system is a way of behaving that helps you move towards accomplishing something. A goal is usually and end state that happens after you have accomplished something. I think eating healthy is a good example. A goal might be to lose 10 pounds. In this case, you feel kind of bad about yourself until you hit that goal; and then, once you hit it, you kind of lose the purpose because the goal has been reached. If you relapse and gain wait again, then you fall back into feeling bad about yourself again. Contrast this with a system of eating healthy. A system might include things like: having a big glass of water prior to each meal; eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and nuts; not eating after 9pm; and/or doing some level of intermittent fasting. You wouldnt integrate all of these new healthy eating behaviors at once. Instead, youd gradually introduce one and then another and then another over whatever period of time makes sense. The system enables you to continuously get healthier and healthier. You will eventually reach the goal, but itll be the byproduct of eating healthy.

Another example might be education. I dont really care all that much about grades for my kids. I mostly want them to learn and enjoy learning. We talk about what they learn, we draw things, they make their own educational videos, they explain things to me in their own words etc. I want them to have a system of learning and refining their perspective on things. If they have this system, then having good grades will be a natural result of enjoying learning.

This also has implications for 7 Cups as well. We might have goals of having a certain amount of group support messages or 1:1 messages. Those are fine goals to have, but we mostly want to create a system of support where people care for one another and then the natural result is an increased number of messages. Or, zooming back, think about this leadership development program. We could have an arbitrary goal of training a certain number of new leaders to serve our community; or we can co-create a system - this leadership development program - that helps people become leaders. The natural consequence of the program will be a higher number of trained, competent, and strong leaders that can better support our community. Â

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

shiningSky3745 March 16th, 2021

The system I want for myself is less anxious, more organised and stop overthinking

3 steps for this I'll follow are:-

•Try to mediate for like 15 mins a day where I'll thinking about nothing a relax

• Try to make a to-do list for every day to get my day organised

• Try not to make any decision in hurry and try my best but to make a huge mountain of negative possiblites about every small thing I do

mamtasha22 April 10th, 2021

@shiningSky3745

those 3 behaviours are great to deal with anxiety

AdylynS March 19th, 2021

@GlenM

I have just started a self curated school system. I am trying to learn to be more independent, accountable, and honest with myself.

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

I need a system to help me find opportunities.

3 behaviors I could implement to help are: making to do lists, a lot self care sessions and staying organised

blindHeart12 March 22nd, 2021

@GlenM

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?

Healthy eating habit system

Mindfulness, self love and yoga practice in system to be fit mentally and physically

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

Self reflecting

Readiness to learn new thing

Flexible to change

thisisirene March 23rd, 2021

@GlenM

To try and make a routine!

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

Having a routine

Knowing my worth

Practicing self-care.

UnicornsCottonCandy March 25th, 2021

@GlenM

The key system I think I need to set up in my life to succeed is to learn how to reach out to new people and make friends rather than waiting for them to come to me. This was something that I always felt that I need to improve on because I am sometimes overly concerned about how others will think about me and this blocks me from taking actions in socializing with other people. I think it's important to be more outgoing so I can express my feelings more towards other people.

The 3 behaviors I can start doing to gradually grow this system is approaching new people, meet different kinds of people through extracurricular activities, and communicating more with the current friends I have.

First, approaching new people will be the very first step for me to build new relationships with other people which need to take place.

Second, meeting different kinds of people through more extracurricular activities at school will help me build more experience about different types of personalities that exist on Earth. Through these experiences, I can learn how I can deal with people with different personalities and also learn what personalities are agreeable or disagreeable with my personality.

Third, being more communicative with my current friends can be a great practice for when I need to interact with new people so that I don't get too nervous or concerned about it.

kindLemonade March 26th, 2021

@GlenM

My answer:

1)Peer support system, routine of practicing music daily, routine of training my body and mind daily.

2) i'm already contacted friends for the peer support system. For other stuff, i think it's good to brainstorm everything i need to do, so i can set up regular activities that form habits

cuteeeezombieeee March 31st, 2021

The system I want for myself is working towards self love:

3 steps that I intend to practice for this are:-

•Accepting compliments and treating myself when I achieve something.

• Ask for help when needed and accept that asking for help does not make me weak.

• Say "No" when experiencing burnout and say "Yes" to practicing a proper self care routine.

Ahmed April 4th, 2021

@GlenM

My system will be a more organzied life without procrastnation

My 3 behaviors:

1- Plan ahead and set small milestones in my plan

Now I use a white board on my wall and write down what i need to achieve by end of the month and that helps me with knowing where i stand and where to go from that point.

2- Excute Excute Excute and more Actions than Planning.

I used to plan a lot and do less. For the past month I was using this method of just do it and I made a progress and I feel much more positive and proud of my progress.

3- Putting myself and career first.

I used to drop everything for those i cared about,but even though the essence of this is not a bad thing, it doesn't get me anywhere with more disappointments. So I'm looking for a balance

Ahmed April 4th, 2021

@GlenM

I frogot to Thank you for this topic as it made more sense to me now and gave me a new perspecive looking at my goals and life in general.

also, just a note that I couldn't Access the video as it appear to be private

herealways27 April 5th, 2021

- I want to set up a system that forces myself to focus strongly on studying and completing assignments on the day they are assigned instead of before the deadline. My end goal of this system is to have the highest GPA I can possibly get.

- I would start keeping a to-do list to keep track of all my tasks

- I would reduce the time that I spend studying while listening to music at the same time

- I would refrain from seeking help too soon and try to brainstorm first instead.

WynterRose April 7th, 2021

@GlenM

Set aside time for self care as not just a priority but a survival requirement. This way I can better serve others because I took care of myself.

Organizationation Focus: list making, deep thinking/reflection on how I am using my time and if this is productive

Slowing Down somtimes: I go at a very fast past sometimes and it's ok to have times where things slow down and not to multitask 24/7 but to do less so I can be my best.

Mindfullness: ensure I am in the moment and reflecting on feelings as they come my way so I can manage them and they don't manage me

Readylistener April 7th, 2021

A new system that I want to set up in my life is to remain consistently motivated and engaged throughout online school, rather than looking at it as a goal that just temporary and associated with negative emotions.

I can do this by practising proper, regular note-taking so that I concentrate on the teacher. I should also keep my phone away during classes so I don't get distracted. Finally, I should make sure to revise the notes to prepare for the next day's classes (so that I can remain in touch and feel like I know things, leading me to remain motivated and eager to learn more).

generouswings April 8th, 2021

@GlenM

The system that I would like to set up would be-

Being forgiving of myself. Realising that people make mistakes, so do I, and I shouldn't judge myself all the time. I should be able to love myself, have that chocolate or an ice-cream and take care of myself

The three things at which I need to work on-

1. Proper time management- Being a high school student, this becomes a necessity since not sleeping on time or spending too much time on phone can affect my grades badly.

2. Feeling anxious in front of new people- I've always felt this way, and this nature of mine has kept me in oblivion from making new friends, and I could never have the best first impression.

3. Body positivity- I think this is an area in which I need to work on. I don't judge others, but I usually judge me. I didn't like myself when I was skinny, and now that I've gained weight, I don't like myself either. I think in the end, what matters is staying healthy and being able to do all the work without getting tired and staying energetic, having optimism, etc.

@GlenM

I agree with this post goals are good for directions but systems are important

If I talk goal wise I want to be able to do things before the deadline

And if I talk system wise I want to implement a daily routine that allows me to be productive but not rush through my chores. If anything I just said made sense

@GlenM

@GlenM

I agree with this post goals are good for directions but systems are important

If I talk goal wise I want to be able to do things before the deadline

And if I talk system wise I want to implement a daily routine that allows me to be productive but not rush through my chores. If anything I just said made sense

3 behaviours would be

1. waking up early

2. Studying regularly

3. Getting enough sleep

confidentpanda April 11th, 2021

I think the system I need to set up is in studying to learn the material, not just the night before each test.

One behavior I can implement is reviewing all the material and notes from class as part of my homework each night. This will help me I understand the material so I can ask for help if I need it.

Another behavior I can implement is asking for help. Going to extra help that is available to me and asking the teachers to clarify concepts or questions in class will help me better understand the class.

A final behavior I can implement is starting work earlier and not procrastinating. I should start studying a few days before a test instead of the night before so that I can have a good grasp on material and less stress.

May 19th, 2021

@Lww873 Makes a lot of sense, good luck!

greatfulSmiles6152 June 15th, 2021

@Lww873 This sounds like a great system! Good luck in all your classes!

loveagape April 11th, 2021

I could not watch the video!

Cristen April 12th, 2021

Taking it day by day – that’s the system I’ve been working on. It’s also pretty applicable to most, if not all aspects in life.

I don’t like to bite off more than I can chew so I take it slow but consistency is always key. It’s okay if you don’t feel like it some days but always pick yourself back up the next day. It doesn’t have to be a lot because a little bit everyday can go a long way.

Stretching/Yoga
I’ve recently been doing stretching exercises daily and have really enjoyed them to my surprise. Taking the time to stretch for just 10 minutes before bedtime really helps with muscle tension, body relaxation and sleep quality. I’m still trying to get into yoga though which is slightly more challenging for me since I have bad awareness of my breath/yoga flow…I usually just gasp for air like a fish XD

Working out
– Similarly, I’ve also been trying to work out consistently (I’m currently on my 13th week). I started with 10 minutes or less at the beginning and now I’ve managed to work up to about 20 to 30 minutes of exercise per session.

Mindful Eating/Intermittent fasting
This is something I’ve been trying to implement somewhat unsuccessfully because I like to eat yummy food XD But the gist of it is to only eat when I actually feel hungry and not just because I feel like munching on something. If I can be more in tune with my body’s hunger cues, it’d gradually become easier for me to get into intermittent fasting later on.

lueurspace May 12th, 2021

@Cristen

Aw hey Cris, good to find you in the forum thread, haha Red heart

Your system sounds good! Taking it day by day is so important, there are limitations to everything. Doing one thing every day rather than everything in one day is much healthier and better in the long run.

Your behaviours that you are trying to implement sound pretty awesome, and I am sure you are doing great with incorporating them into your daily life! When you said - "I usually just gasp for air like a fish" it made me laugh xD Yoga is definitely challenging but I am sure you will do amazing, as you said - take it one day at a time, you are doing awesome! Congratulations on being consistent with working out for 13 weeks straight, I am guessing it has been much longer now, way to go! Trophy Intermittent Fasting is something I've thought over in the past, I am hoping you have huge success with it! Best wishing, Cris!

You can't give your life more time, so give the time you have, more life.

Cristen May 12th, 2021

@lueurspace
Gaw thank you lulu for your sweet and kind encouragement! Yeap I'm on Week 17 now blush Also good to see you doing the LDP too! All the best in the program! Bigbighugs and high 5 lulu~ (v〃∇〃)ハ(〃∇〃v)

SweetDreamer69 April 13th, 2021

The system that I need to set in my life which will help me succeed would be not letting my health deteriorate in order to do my work and study. I tend to do alot which results into my health getting deteriorated. Three behaviors that I can implement in order to gradually grow that new system in my life would be- a) Try and have a goodnight sleep. I avoid sleeping so that i can study peacefully at night as in the daytime, I'm busy working. b) Eat healthy and at regular intervals. Just like sleeping, due to work and studies, my eating habits is completely irregular. Need to learn how to eat at regular intervals. c) regularly exercising and taking some time out for myself from the busy schedule and do some things that I love.

giggleZebra2708 April 19th, 2021

@SweetDreamer69

This is another system that I would love to work on as well. Self care is essentially important when we are to deal with high loads of work and stress.

SweetDreamer69 April 20th, 2021

@giggleZebra2708 I hope we both are able to work on this and make sure that we take proper care of ourselves!

MarleyR April 18th, 2021

The system I need to work on is focusing on myself so I can attend online school in a year or two. I am also learning two songs on guitar so I need to have a system to accomplish that as well. I plan on finding time for these when I am not focused on recording my podcast and taking care of my puppy.

MarleyR April 18th, 2021

@MarleyR I plan on researching online school for the online school system and the different chords and strumming patterns for the two songs on guitar.

giggleZebra2708 April 19th, 2021

What is a key system that you need to set in your life to help you succeed ?

A system of consistency is definitely the missing component in my life, which would lift me up and shower more success. I am determined of course and have worked hard to achieve my immediate goals, but looking at it from the long term perspective, I have noticed that I tend to steer down when I have accomplished my immediate goals and lack consistency. This is a key system that I am willing to work on at the moment.

What are three behaviours you can implement that will help you to gradually grow that new system in your life ?

Making a day to day list or a to do list where I list out my essential needs that I need to accomplish that will drive the system in the long run. Secondly would be getting a planner and planning ahead of time. Thirdly would be meditation and self care, the cost of consistency is stress and I need to make time to take care of myself so that I can better support the system.

May 19th, 2021

@giggleZebra2708 It takes time to fine-tune our behaviour patterns to better suit our needs and fulfillment, good luck!

compassionateTree4567 April 20th, 2021

@GlenM

to develop a key balance of helping others and helping myself

knowing how to balance a relationship with others

1) Relax

2) Try not to overthink

3) just enjoy the process

FeatherIce25 April 23rd, 2021

@GlenM

To never give up. I have realised that failure and set backs really mess me up and I would like to take them with a pinch of salt and keep trying. Perserverance and dedication can sail my boat.

The three behaviours that I have identified that can help me grow are

1. Not to be too self critical

2. Accept that my work can not always be perfect and I am allowed to make mistakes

3. Picking myself up after a setback and try again

Enbyowl April 26th, 2021

I need to set up a system of studying properly in order to achieve my academic goals instead of just focusing on the goals. Because I need to be organized in the way I study and do things in order to succeed.

- Making time for myself and not overextending myself

- Balancing my academics with my personal life through setting a time limit for my studies every day.

- Sticking to a schedule and making timers to make sure I stay on track and also to keep my from spending all day on one thing.

EmpathicPikachu April 26th, 2021

@GlenM

Hi,

I hope you are doing great and staying safe! here is a respoce to Q's you asked in the post.

The system I want to set up in my life is be more organized and discipline.

1) Make small term goals. Starting with waking up early in the morning and giving myself a head start.

2) Prioritize things better. For example, at time of studies, I should be putting all my attention to that. I would like to start by setting a place where I study or why my brain gets habituated. Before Covid, Public or college library were my goto places but its different now.

3) Put things back at their place after using them.

Cheers!

Suryansh April 28th, 2021

Hello Everyone!

A key system that I need to set up in my life to succeed is to make consistent efforts and be pre-planned by setting up a routine/to-do list to do things.

Three behaviors that I can implement to help myself gradually grow that new system in my life are:-
1. Setting up a schedule and sticking to it.
2. Avoiding procrastination and get things done (especially studies for me for now).
3. Supporting myself and avoid judging myself and comparing myself with others.

Thank You!

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

FawkesCare12 May 4th, 2021

Currently, to start off, I’d like to implement a system with regards to academics. Because at the end of each year, I tell myself I’ll study or revise consistently the next year but as the new semester rolls around, I don’t do it. I either procrastinate or work, assignments and other personal commitments become my focus. This means that exam seasons become extremely hectic as everything piles on.

What are 3 behaviours you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

1. Figuring out which time slots are my most effective times to study or revise.

2. Sitting down to study each day even if it’s just a few pages.

3. Applying the active method to studying and spaced repetition so I don’t end up forgetting what I studied which will ensure I don’t get discouraged.

May 19th, 2021

@FawkesCare12 So good to read. Yes, even a little is lot, but consistency/regularity at doing things is the key.

FawkesCare12 May 19th, 2021

@Fristo

Hehe.. yes. Trying to apply it :)

Hope you have an amazing day ahead.

shallowWater7547 May 5th, 2021

A key system that i need to set up in my life is to stop negative thinking or overthinking.

The three behaviours i would like to implement are: Facing my fears and overcoming them, Organizing my thoughts and Letting go of the past.