Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

TheGoodHeartedBuddy September 20th, 2021

@Ashvillium

Yes! Balance is key! :)

ComradeRuhi August 30th, 2021

@Andyallen
I'd do the same thing Andy. I'd be bummed out too, but I'm sure you'll make it. You have all my motivation and support! If you don't make it, I know you'll find your way around it. Best wishes for your success here at 7 Cups. You got this. :)

Prachi9876 September 10th, 2021

@Andyallen
It is very rational and objective way to look at it.

caringHope1976 September 16th, 2021

@Andyallen

Asking for feedback is really good.

TheGoodHeartedBuddy September 20th, 2021

@Andyallen

I agree with you and like your detailed response!

September 22nd, 2021

@Andyallen

That is such a great way to respond! Definitely asking for feedback is great, since it will make you better prepared for the role! Great response!

Textingpals October 17th, 2021

@Andyallen

Honestly spoken.

lyricalSea85 November 5th, 2021

@Andyallen

It's wonderful to know that you'd be taking a positive approach to the situation and allow yourself more chances to explore!

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022
“In learning, you will teach, and in teaching, you will learn.”
ResilientLucky June 29th, 2021

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

If I don’t get a role I want, it won’t really upset me. I would rather be curious about what needs to be improved. I would ask the leader for feedback on my submitted form, if I need to improve somewhere, if I am missing some criteria, and how I can do better next time to get into that role. I will wait for some time to improve before applying again.

BecauseImBatman22 June 30th, 2021

@ResilientLucky
I agree with you on asking for feedback from your submission form, I'd do that too. Its very inspiring of you to not get disappointed by it but rather see it as opportunity to improve.

Ashvillium August 25th, 2021

@ResilientLucky
That's very Practical. We are more curious to know why it happend than the sadness for it happened. It is really a positive trait as it can ensure that we can make it the next time by working on what lacks in us.

@ResilientLucky

I'd also ask for some tips as well! I'd want to know where I could improve as well. I agree whole-heartedly. I think you'll do amazing here at 7 cups though. :) Best wishes.

@ResilientLucky

@ResilientLucky
I agree with you it is very important to get and work on the feedback

@ResilientLucky

Lovely response.

September 22nd, 2021

@ResilientLucky

That is such a great outlook on the situation! It's important to not take the feedback personally, and to learn and grow from the experience so that you'll be prepared when you apply again! Nice work!

Textingpals October 17th, 2021

@ResilientLucky

Tat's really nice of you to work on improving yourself rather than feeling rejected over it.

BecauseImBatman22 June 30th, 2021
@Heather225
If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not being accepted for a role. I would accept it with grace and see where I could learn from it and try for the role again when I'm confident with my preparation. To the leader, I'd kindly ask them to provide me with feedback on where I'd gone wrong and where could I do better. I would also request them to guide me with finding a mentor for the role so I'm better prepared and thorough.

@BecauseImBatman22

well said batman

@BecauseImBatman22

Fabulous.

September 22nd, 2021

@BecauseImBatman22

I'm glad that you would respond this way! It's great that you don't take the feedback personally, and that you are willing to learn from it! Good job!

courageousheart96 September 27th, 2021

That's a great way to respond to it

July 8th, 2021

@Heather225
- Yes it would be a little sad but I will respond in a professional way and try better next time.
- I would thank the leader for their time, ask them for feedbacks or whether or not I am suitable for the role and if not; apply for the role I will be good at.

milkoreos July 15th, 2021

@Hope2103 your response to the leader is so sweet and courteous

@Hope2103

Yes, that sounds like an ideal way to handle the chats

Brinaa101 July 9th, 2021

I would be a bit disappointed but everything happens for a reason and I was just not ready for that role at the time. I will use that rejection as motivation to do better in the future! I would also keep up with that leader if the position is open, but I would continuously work on myself so I can better myself for the role and just in general.

Cazzy8752 July 11th, 2021
If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?
If I didn't get the role I wanted I wouldn't be upset. I think being turned down is a sign for me to re-look into my strengths and what I offer and bring to the role.
Applying for any job role ccan be stressful, ensuring you have answered all questions well enough and showing your strengths and your whys for why your the right person can be very stressful and difficult.
What would you say to the leader who has informed you?
As others have mentioned I would definately than the leader while also expressing the understanding from his/her position. It cannot be an easy decision with many applicants. I would ask him/her for feedback o where my application let me down and also what he/she feels I could do the help me in those areas.
sereneButton43 August 1st, 2021

@Cazzy8752 that's interesting, so you would look at the perspective of the employer/role decider too. I think that is wonderful!

@Cazzy8752

Totally agree Cazzy. I mean it'll be upsetting if I don't get the role, just like how you would feel, but it's a moment to re-evaluate yourself, because your lacking in some area. It's a moment for improvement, and that is really the key to success. We are not perfect. but we can always improve ourselves to be better than who we were yesterday. I wish you the best for your career at 7 cups. You got this!

wonderfulRainbow817 July 15th, 2021

@Heather225
It would momentarily be disappointing, but I wouldn't take it too hard. I think it is very important to bounce back by things. When a leader tells you you don't get the role it isn't a no forever. Most times they feel like there are some things you can improve on and often encourage you to reapply when you complete those things. I would simply thank the leader for taking the time to review my application and that I can't wait to improve the things they touch upon and reapply.

@wonderfulRainbow817 that's a great response :D here are some flowers for you

unique73 July 25th, 2021

@wonderfulRainbow817 , feeling disappointed is understandable, appreciate how you mentioned about not taking it too hard, instead be thankful to the leader for providing the feedback and looking for ways to improve.

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

i'd ask them for feedback. i think that's pretty important. if it was a role i'd really wanted, i'd accept the feedback and try to improve so i meet the standards :D!!

unique73 July 25th, 2021

@milkoreos , agreed! feedbacks are important and working on ways to improve is important part of being a leader!

@milkoreos

That's a great mindset to have.

explore1000 July 15th, 2021
If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? I should be greatful for the expirence, reflect on what i did right and wrong, and see if i want to try again or move on to another program.
What would you say to the leader who has informed you? I would thank them for their time in grading my work, be greatful I had the support given, and ask where I can improve for next time.
unique73 July 25th, 2021

@explore1000 , great to read your views, I think it was similar to what I think! *high fives*

sereneButton43 August 1st, 2021

@explore1000 asking where to improve is important indeed!

unique73 July 25th, 2021

▪︎If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?
~I will take this as an opportunity to learn and reflect on the reason I didn't get the role and where I need to improve. I will not be upset, instead be grateful to have feedback and an opportunity to learn and figure out ways to improve.

▪︎What would you say to the leader who has informed you?
~I will thank them for taking the time to reach out to me and providing the feedback. I will further ask them for guidance on how I can improve and whether the role suits me, then reapply for the role when I am ready.