Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

anjellyna January 30th, 2022

@dudewithaplan haha, I agree with the bad energy statement 😂

00Michelle00 January 25th, 2022
1. Why is gossiping bad? It hurts people

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies! Gossip is ugly and unfair

AliveandAlive January 29th, 2022

Gossiping is toxic…it is poisonous. If you say negative about other people, people will subconsciously say negative things about you!

One can avoid gospel by saying following statements:

1. I don’t know enough about the situation to comment on it

2. I don’t know other’s person perspective so I prefer to not discuss what they might be thinking or feeling in their absence

3. You can also point about the quality you like about the person being gossiped about… or stick up t the person in their absence

4. Change the subject to a positive topic

@AliveandAlive lovely answer ❤️ gossiping is indeed poisonous, and we should all work to correct any gossiping habits :)

CaringEzra February 10th, 2022

I agree it can be really toxic, I like the change the subject or stick up for the person as lines to use<3

Livingtohelplive January 30th, 2022

Hello there!

There is usually some uncertainty, low self-esteem or envy of the slander at the beginning of the slander. Sometimes it just starts as good fun, there is something to talk about, as a group we have a common enemy and that unites us. Slander is spreading rapidly, gaining strength, and moving further and further away from the grain of truth they may have contained in the beginning. They are very dangerous. They can lead a colleague to a statement, mental problems, or in the worst case, to suicide. Slanderers often do not even realize the suffering they are causing. However, the negativity contained in slander often falls on the slanderer. He often gets poisoned and demotivated when he sees only the bad everywhere, criticizes it, but does not solve anything that bothers him.

I like The way it was stated not to comment any gossiping.

Sending strenght and energy!

Lots of love,

🌸Hana🌸

@Livingtohelplive Hana, this is a very thoughtful response! <3

rriyad February 2nd, 2022

@Livingtohelplive

well written hana :)

rrretsuko February 5th, 2022

@Livingtohelplive i do agree <3 gossip can really cause detrimental effects on another's mental health and it's extremely important to put that into consideration :( another way you can remind yourself of this is by asking yourself how you would feel if someone said the same things about you

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

It decreases our culture of trust and creates an unwelcoming environment.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

Sticking up for the person is a way to curtail the negative gossip e.g. "I think that they are (insert positive trait here)!"

@anjellyna gossiping really can destroy trust and relationships/future relationships with others <3 it's important to practice not gossiping in order to live a happy and healthy lifestyle with good friends as well ! you'll have people in your life that wouldn't do the same to you.

I agree it really does break trust. I've seen very strong friendships get ruined and destroyed from it. Trust is somethings that's really hard to rebuild

Elise849 April 25th, 2022

@anjellyna

well said, trust is crucial to create a good environment

AuroraBriarRose0 April 28th, 2022

@anjellyna

It's completely true that gossip destroys trust.

rriyad February 2nd, 2022

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?

Ans. Gossiping is bad as mostly shows negativity.

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

Ans. If i say something negative to someone about others , Subconsciously they will feel about me the same.

@rriyad gossiping does show a lot of negativity <3 and it can definitely be related back to you both by the people who are listening to you gossip and the people you are gossiping about. it can cause more problems !

@Heather225

gossiping is bad because it is ultimately toxic <3 when you gossip about others, both the people listening to you and the people you are gossiping about will look down on that. it can destroy relationships and cause you to be gossiped about as well !

it's important to not engage in gossiping at all and to remind yourself of how you would feel if someone did it to you ! once you do so, it's a lot easier to stop gossiping :) surround yourself with positive people and positive thoughts. if you don't like someone, don't stay around them or talk about them. it'll create more problems ! practice not gossiping; it takes time <3

NoelleListens February 25th, 2022

@rrretsuko

I love your response!!

@rrretsuko

I think you make a great point. You should definitely think about how you and others would feel before gossiping. It's really unfair and hurtful.

MelodyoftheOcean May 19th, 2022

@rrretsuko

Practicing to not gossip sounds good Retsuko! And yes, it can do so much harm 💜

nessa104 February 10th, 2022

@Heather225

gossiping is toxic because it increases negativity , it is toxic way to make yourself feel better and it makes untrusting environment .

my favourite statement is 'I do not know much about the situation and their perception to comment in their absence'

Zarram77 March 24th, 2022

@nessa104 You are right. It increases negativity and also sometimes unfairly damage the image of the person who is talked about.

@nessa104

I like that statement a lot too. It makes it so the people around you know that you do not condone the behavior while directing the conversation towards a new topic.

Why is gossiping bad?

Words hurt people’s feelings. it is impossible to know who could be hurt by what was said. When you tell one person something, you can’t control who else hears what was said. Gossip is often false because you don't know the full situation. Rumors can get started, and in no time, these rumors get around to the person the gossip was about. When people talk behind each other's back, people get hurt and upset and it creates a very negative environment. When someone is gossiped about then they are more likely to gossip about others. Some people feel that they are building themselves up, but this is at the expense of others. It’s plain and simple; gossip hurts everyone and it is not the right thing to do.

• Saying that you feel uncomfortable talking about this because I don't know the situation well enough

• Pointing out a quality that you like about the person being talked about

• Stick up for the person being talked about

@Estrellitaa

Very well thought out response!!!

glowingSoul93 February 26th, 2022

@Estrellitaa

I agree with everything you said here. Great insight!

KBeauty12 March 31st, 2022

@Estrellitaa

Well said, it's even more difficult when you are faced with this at your job.

Zahraa000 February 13th, 2022

1-Why is gossiping bad?

Gossip is bad because you talk about what the person does not like to talk about, so it is not popular with people. Usually, the person who goes back to his seat is full of negative energy and does not like others and talks about them badly.

2-List a statement you learned from this video to stop goosiping in the replies?

I learned from the video that it is necessary to put an end to the gossiper and tell him not to do so because it may lead to the pollution of his energy with negativity and be unpopular with others and do not like to talk to him.

@Zahraa000

Great insight!!

@Zahraa000

Great insight! You're doing an awesome job!

magicmango26 March 20th, 2022

@Zahraa000

Amazing insight! x

@Zahraa000 I agree with you

@Heather225

1. Gossiping is bad because it is harmful to others.
  2. A statement that I learned from the video to stop gossiping is that the gossiper is often viewed in a negative light because of gossiping.

@NoelleListens

I agree with you gossiping makes you look really bad. How have you changed your tactics to not gossip if friend wants you to join in?

KBeauty12 March 31st, 2022

@NoelleListens

Yes quite true

Gossiping is bad because what you’re saying or being told might not even be true about the person and it can really hurt them and plus it can and probably will hurt your friendship. I don’t know much about the situation to comment on it.

MrS7v7n April 25th, 2022

@glowingSoul93

Agreed Glowing !

magicmango26 March 20th, 2022

@Heather225

1. Gossiping is bad for a number of reasons – the main reason is that it is very toxic. When gossiping to someone, it becomes very easy for that person to identify the ‘negative trait’ to you.

2. "I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence."

Dan76 April 10th, 2022

@magicmango26 yep, extremely toxic

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Answer 1: Gossiping is bad because when we discuss a person in their absence, we are likely to reveal their secrets too. It is not only hurtful and immoral but damaging to their image too. When we take part in gossip, we leave a chunk of ourselves in it, and it goes on and goes. In the end, a story or things shared in gossip becomes totally different from its original version.

Answer 2: I don't know the other person's perspective so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling.