Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

caringHope1976 September 16th, 2021

@Crystaldancer

Amazing! Well-done.

September 17th, 2021

@Crystaldancer

I definitely agree with you! It is important to not gossip, since it can possibly cause negative effects for that person without us realizing it! Your statements are also great, and I especially agree with the second one! Thank you so much for sharing! ❤️

Textingpals October 17th, 2021

@Crystaldancer

You are very correct, gossiping hurts a lot.

jersey123456 October 24th, 2021

@Crystaldancer

Great Answer !

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
bubblingBreeze14 September 5th, 2021

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it damages your image and it might show others that you're not trustworthy. In some cases it might also backfire to you and create situations where others might do the same about you.

By being trustworthy and by not gossiping you're showing people that you are a person of great character and a non-judgemental person. It might even make people talk good about you (Though that cannot be guaranteed with others personalities. Eg: If the other person enjoys talking bad about people or has jealousy over you they might talk behind your back even though you don't do the same).

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

Whenever a situation comes when others are gossiping and expects you to join with them, you can say that since you don't know about that person's perspective you can't join in to that conversation.

You can also simply try to change the topic into a more helpful or fun area.

You also can talk about other stuff like travelling, food, new trends, new hobbies you've started in a situation where you don't have anything to talk about.

@bubblingBreeze14

Such a detailed response. I loved it.

bubblingBreeze14 September 17th, 2021

@caringHope1976

Thank You ❤️

September 17th, 2021

@bubblingBreeze14

What an amazing response! You're so right that gossiping can portray a negative view upon another person, and how important it is to see the situation from that person's perspective! Nice job! ❤️

@Nerdtastic01

Thank You ❤️

Prachi9876 September 8th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it not only creates a negative vibe about the person but also about. The intent behind gossiping is to make yourself look good by joining in and relating to the conversation of making someone else look bad. It is unfair to do. It does not do anyone any good.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

I will initially try to change the topic and instead highlight a good quality about the person but if that seems inevitable then I will clearly state that I do not wish to intend to be a part of this by saying

• I am not aware of the situation to comment on it or have an opinion on it.

• I do not know the other person’s perspective so I prefer not to discuss what I think they were thinking/feeling in their absence

@Prachi9876

Fabulous.

September 17th, 2021

@Prachi9876

You're totally right! Many people want to gossip to fit in, yet it creates a negative aroma around the person who's absent! I definitely agree with both of your statements - just don't comment or say you shouldn't talk about the other person in their absence! Thanks a lot for sharing! ❤️

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it’s highly negative. It is hurtful to that person who you are gossiping about and it also puts you in a bad light.

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

I don’t know the other person’s perspective so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.

September 17th, 2021

@caringHope1976

You brought up some great points! Gossiping shines a negative light on the person who's absent, and it is important to emphasize that when the topic arises! Thank you so much for sharing! ❤️

@caringHope1976

Well said!

September 17th, 2021

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it can possibly damage someone's reputation and it can eventually lead to people thinking of you as unreliable and untrustworthy.

I would prefer not talking about the other person when they are absent, since I'm not sure how they were thinking or feeling.

LavenderFlower September 25th, 2021

@Nerdtastic01

I'm happy to see you found a new statement to avoid gossip. Good work! You're making all the right steps to have better relationships with other leaders!

ASilentBunny March 24th, 2022

I totally agree, thank you for sharing!

September 17th, 2021

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it can possibly damage someone's reputation and it can eventually lead to people thinking of you as unreliable and untrustworthy.

I would prefer not talking about the other person when they are absent, since I'm not sure how they were think or feeling.

@Nerdtastic01

Very true.. Gossiping is a two way thing. It could hurt others and it might hurt you as well. Nice job with identifying what gossiping is 😉

Izzy274 September 27th, 2021

@Nerdtastic01

That's true, gossip can have a really big impact on our views of someone even if it isn't true, and having this effect is a very negative thing. You have a great response to people if they try to start gossiping though!

TheGoodHeartedBuddy September 20th, 2021

@Heather225

Gossiping is bad because it creates a toxic environment. People begin too obsess over who says what and often, get a bad image of a person they hardly know. People often gossip as a way to express their anger towards other people. Often though, these same people don't realize how much pain it could cause them and others. This is because gossiping is a cycle of negativity. If you are gossiping about someone else, chances are, they'll find out and gossip about you! It's better we stay away from such things because the consequences are huge. A line from the video that really stood out to me was "I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence."

@TheGoodHeartedBuddy

Yeah, I really agree with what you're saying about it forming a negative cycle, and once a cycle of gossiping is formed it can create a lot of toxicity and make the conversation a not very nice place to be. I really like your response to prevent gossiping though! :)

courageousheart96 September 27th, 2021

@TheGoodHeartedBuddy

Yes, usually the anger can be used in a productive way instead of badmouthing or spreading negativity in the community

LavenderFlower September 20th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it not only gives bad ideas to others about the person in question but lowers others trust in you for gossiping. If you talk poorly about other people, what do you say about them?

I don't know the other side of the situation, so I don't feel like I can make a comment about the situation.

@LavenderFlower

That's a good point, gossiping can really affect the trust people have in you which can be a really negative thing. I really like your response to gossiping though! :)

@LavenderFlower

That's true, if one person is willing to talk bad about someone then what is stopping them from gossiping about you.

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it affects everyone around you and can create a really negative and potentially toxic environment. It makes people feel bad about each other and themselves, and can also break the trust between people, which is especially important within the community at 7 Cups. It can cause people to subconsciously form negative and untrusting opinions of others, which causes the community to feel unsafe and could prevent people from feeling comfortable to speak freely.

Sorry, I don't know enough about this situation to comment on it or give my views.

@Izzy274

Certainly, it causes biases to form thus creating an unsafe environment for all.

ASilentBunny March 24th, 2022

Gossip can totally affect everyone around us and create a negative and toxic enviornment!

@Heather225

Hello everyone 👋👋👋👋👋

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad, toxic and harmful. It can cause unnecessary pain and tension within a group or one to one.

"I don't know enough about the situation to comment." It is important not to continue the "gossiping" discussion or to stop it when the person is not present in the room.

JoyHappyNess October 17th, 2021

@courageousheart96

Yeah, I love the use of "unnecessary pain" in your statement, because the pain from gossipping isn't warranted.😞

lyricalSea85 November 1st, 2021

@courageousheart96

Totally +1 with you and @JoyHappyNess on this aspect. Pain from gossiping is never warranted

kindFish9215 October 6th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

If you say something negative about someone else, the person you’re saying it to subconsciously places you with that same negative trait.

Gossipping is poisonous. The intent behind gossip is usually to make someone who isn’t present look bad and to look good through sharing certain information about that someone. If you gossip about someone else, the person listening to you will assume you also gossip about them, which means they aren’t going to trust trust you.

Gossiping is negative,and will leave you and the people you speak with in a more negative state.

I don’t know enough about the situation to comment on it.

@kindFish9215

Yeah, this "I don’t know enough about the situation to comment on it." Is the wisest statement that I ever heard 😃

lyricalSea85 November 1st, 2021

@kindFish9215

Indeed. It creates a negative 'you reap what you sow' chain and the outcome is never really pretty.

yourfriend5 October 8th, 2021

@Heather225

Really informative

yourfriend5 October 8th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Gossiping can be hurtful towards others and make someone look bad

2. I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.

@yourfriend5

Yeah I totally agree 😃, gossipping can be sweet until it's you they gossipping about then it hurts😭😭😭