Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2, Discussion 4: The problem is the path

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

Hello LDP Team!

The problem is the path is the core insight that helps us evolve as individuals and as a community here on 7 Cups.

Here is an overview of this course:

Course Description: It is natural for us to want to avoid problems. Problems can cause worry, anxiety, and frustration. These are feelings that we often want to avoid. Problems, however, are the key to growth. When we face our problems directly we get smarter and grow stronger. A saying that captures this is: Progress = Pain + Reflection. This course helps you learn the value of problems by highlighting the difference between problems you might be concerned about and problems you can directly solve. Next, it walks you through the ancient practice of steering into problems directly in order to unlock their value and gifts. Finally, it helps you identify and measure progress so you can make continued gains in your personal and professional life.

✒️ Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

Watch the video here

✒️ Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

Watch the second video here

Further Reading (Optional but recommended):

This idea of problem is the path is a reoccurring theme in self help books and especially stoicism. If you are interested in learning more about this thought process, we recommend the following books:

The obstacle is the way by Ryan Holiday

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy, by William Braxton Irvine

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

Mitanshi003 February 19th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

1. Watch the following video and identify:

<3 3 things in your circle of concern:
1. What is happening in the world
2. Other's opinions of me
3. What others choose to do with their life

<3 3 things in your circle of influence:
1. My well-being
2. My relationships
3. My contribution and the efforts I make in the society

<3 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence:
Identify and reflect on what is important to me. It will help me to remain grounded and aware of what matters the most while motivating me to maintain a positive attitude.

2. Watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive. What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

<3 The "action-taking" and positive attitude of the executive stand out the most for me. Rather than criticizing their boss, the executive encountered the issue and offered effective changes without causing any negative effects.

iPHOENIX February 22nd, 2023

@Mitanshi003

Yes being positive and seeing the positive from the others makes a big difference.

iPHOENIX February 22nd, 2023

✒️ Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

Circle of Concerns

• People thoghts & behaviors

• Crimes

• Economy/Inflation

Cirle of Influence

• How I behave

• Money/Time Management

• Being Hepful

✒️ Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

Instead of trying find or talk about others problems, he tried to take positive from each people and contribute himself that help him and the entire team.

EnigmaticCat24 February 27th, 2023

@iPHOENIX

Great answers! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

EnigmaticCat24 February 27th, 2023

Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

Circle of concern

1. Economy of country

2. Exams

3. How other people think about me

Circle of influence

1.Family

2. Hardwork

3. Time management

Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

Focus on circle of influence.

Trintzu March 5th, 2023

@Tobedoctor good points! ❤️

Countrygirl095 February 19th

@Tobedoctor awesome job

AvyIsKing March 3rd, 2023

in my circle of concern : 1.) what other people say about me, 2.) others' actions, 3.) what they say too me

in my circle of influence : 1.) how i let others actions affect me, 2.) how i go about working with others, 3.) how do i present myself through my work

one thing i can remind myself : simple, remind myself to change and control the things i can, and try and let go of the things i cant.

instead of lashing out or gossiping about the president, the executive took charge. they figured out a plan to help the president become easier to work with.

vivelespatates March 11th, 2023

@Jefferythebunny319 That sounds very good to me!!

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 19th, 2023

@Jefferythebunny319

well said. Good luck with ldp.

Trintzu March 5th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

3 things in my circle of concern: the other people's opinions on me, my financial status; the current situation in the world with war (perks of being neighboring country to Russia)

3 things in my circle of influence: my health; time management; boundaries

1 thing I can remind myself to focus: Focusing on is the inner circle. 😊

✒️ Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive. What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

Instead of having yourself negative -> be positive and everything around you also changes.

@Trintzu time management and boundaries sounds definitely like things you can learn and have control over! :) I'm sure you can do it, especially with tools we have here on 7cups to work it out :)

Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

My circle of concerns:
- Inflation and Finances
- environment
- Health

My Circle of influence:
- My teachers and my mentors
- My time and how I manage it (Thanks to Time Management course I took here on 7cups!)
- How I take care of myself and others; clear boundaries

A thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence:
- Take a time in my meditation or in my routine, to be thankful of what i have and being self compassionate

Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

Proactive: focus on things they can change, such their circle of influence, and think about things before they arrive;
versus Reactive , react to things they have no control about, without really think about it .

JoyHappyNess March 15th, 2023

@vivelespatates

This inflation and the economy is also my circle of concern but at least I have learnt to let it all go

4Jasmine February 29th

@vivelespatates

I found your clarity and approach refreshing. Great job 

FeureVox March 14th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I learned from the first video:

Three things in my circle of concern:

a. Reputation.

b. Bad mouthing.

c. Judging others.

Three things in my circle of influence:

a. Going an extra mile

b. being kind and concerned

c. sharing what I eat

One thing I can do to remind myself to focus on my circle of influence:

Developing more positive bonds with everyone, even those uncomfortable with my presence.

From the second video, I learned that I must not wait for others to ask for help. I am a robust observer and always look for an opportunity to help others around me, whether it will help them or not. Still, my supportive behavior shows empathy towards them.

4Jasmine February 25th

@FeureVox

I am impressed by the way you laid out and explained your answers. Awesome job! 

FeureVox February 25th

@4Jasmine That's very kind of you.

FrenchMarbles March 14th, 2023

Watch the following video and identify three things in your circle of concern, three things in your circle of influence, and one thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

Three things in my circle of concern would be things that I am concerned about but have no control over, such as what people say about me, what things they put in chicken nuggets and global warming.

Things in my circle of influence concern me, and I have control over things like my mental health, How I speak to others, and how I show appreciation to my friends.

One thing I can do to make sure I focus on the circle of influence would be to write a to-do list and ensure it adheres to my beliefs and personal goals to enhance my thought process.

@FrenchMarbles

Wow the to-do list idea sounds highly effective... I will definitely borrow that...

(And somehow I thought I was the only person worrying what they keep in chicken nuggets 😂)

@FrenchToastClub

Identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

Circle of concern

1. Climate change.
  2. Growing numbers of mental instability.
  3. Growing numbers of homeless people and street children.

Circle of influence

1. Tree-planting activities with my neighbors and friends.
  2. Listening in 7 cups to people with mental instabilities.
  3. Dropping a coin or food to homeless people and street children.

Reminder to focus on circle of influence

I can come up with a mantra that states, "Worrying about my circle of concern without acting on my circle of influence does not make a change."

✒️ Highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

The executive worked on the strengths of both the president and the coworkers. This made his circle of influence grow. He was proactive because he concentrated on the circle of influence instead of the circle of concern.

calmingsun111 March 25th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess I love that mantra. :)

JoyHappyNess March 26th, 2023

@calmingsun111

Awww! Thank you

ItsMrEnigma March 27th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess

I love the message and the layout!

JoyHappyNess March 28th, 2023

@ItsMrEnigma

I most certainly appreciate you saying that 😊

Rubylistens22 April 19th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess

I love how specific your lists are:) I think it’s great💙

JoyHappyNess April 19th, 2023

@Rubylistens22

Thank you for saying that 😊

betty212 August 8th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess Very well thought out!!✨

March 16th, 2023

3 things in my circle of concern: other people's reactions, circumstances which affect the flow of the project, and other people's actions

3 things in my circle of influence: my emotions, my approach towards my work, and my response to others

1 thing I can do to remind myself to focus on my circle of influence: telling myself that focusing on things in my circle of influence can help me

Reactive: gossiping, not doing anything to cushion the situation

Proactive: not judging, anticipating what would happen, and buffering the president's weaknesses

beyoutofullkalon March 20th, 2023

@charmingFlower8111 beautifully summarised and well written 🐣🐣 your posts always have something to learn from 🙇🌙

a

circle on influence

1 how I treat other people on cups and in real life. 2 my heath 3 learning new skills 4 my cats

b

circle of concern

1 2024 election 2 disability rights 3 weather

c I can do any thing I put my mind too.

i learned that some times I have to be one who who would start making a difference before it catches on. It can help turn something bad to something good.

@harmonyLearninghope

his co worker knew. What was going on was not working so he hatched a plan to make things better. Pro active

beyoutofullkalon March 20th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

@FrenchToastClub

My circle of concern: doing well on my law-entrance exams, being elected school prefect, ensuring my parents are out of danger

My circle of influence: staying true to my study schedule, doing my best to make the school a better place, following a routine for workouts.

- the executive took the initiative and empathised, he did not complain or gossip but read the situation.

- he worked on the President’s underlying concerns and worked with the President’s strength by anticipating the need

- he gave recommendations and analysis

- his character analysis lead to a complementary team as this was his chosen response. He strived to make things better rather than complain about them.

Nvlmi May 22nd, 2023

It's nice you personalized your responses to further illustrate the points.

KarmaTheRascal March 24th, 2023

Three things in my circle of concern are:

1) Finances

2) Health

3) Family

Three things in my circle of influences are:

1) My parents/family

2) The news

3) Myself

One thing I can do to focus on my circle of influences is that I can focus more on my family and check on them more often.

What stands out to me about this executive is that the proactive of this is that they focus on the things they can change. They had focused on things they can change versus the things they can't control .

calmingsun111 March 25th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

circle of concern - global economy, government, treating badly people by people.

circle of influence - how I spent my time, how I improve my skills, how I behave around others

"make other's weaknesses you own strengths" - when people behave in some way, I can learn from that situation and do differently which I love. :) that's the main thing I took from the video.

In video they tried to show that the man that played main role reverse the situation - he only tried to work on his circle of influence but not on circle of concern. love that. :)

JoyHappyNess March 26th, 2023

@calmingsun111

I feel that's so proactive, making other people's weaknesses your strength... Imma use that too 😃

CurrySoup12 March 27th, 2023

@calmingsun111

Making weaknesses into strengths can be very hard for me. I tend to only focus on what I'm good at. I supposed being aware of your own weaknesses is a strength because then you know where others can fill in the gaps.

RainbowRosie April 27th, 2023

@calmingsun111

I agree with this, it is proactive by making other people's weaknesses your strength.

This is something I’ll certainly remember and learn from.

TabbyCat97 June 5th, 2023

@calmingsun111

Awesome points! I love the things you picked for your circle of influence too :)