Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 1, Discussion 2: The Big 5

Hope December 5th, 2022

Hello Leadership Crew!

Begin by taking the Big 5 test and answering the following questions. You can also read more on the Big 5 here and below.

✒️ What were the main things you learned about yourself?

✒️ What are your strengths as per the test and how can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

8V0vw3BQYtUJ2RbDJwYaBitIMfAo3N0ZcNJzngJZjc2ZfX8wNX9BoSlPd2yTaIob5fSS5cNTEMF_ANDyrwsKvBgQhaHcv7NcAE3Uj_WXJs6XuMz7cPe6Xii5swDZufxYnCjcVFAsKH8

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! tinyurl.com/Course1Discussion3

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

EnigmaticCat24 February 19th, 2023

What were the main things you learned about yourself? I think mostly similar results in both tests.

✒ What are your strengths as per the test and how can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personality. Open mindness- see things in different ways. Consciousness- well organized and reliable. Extraversion- enjoy quiet and alone time. Agreeableness- courteous and supportive nature. Negative emotionality- anxious and worry about things.

FrenchMarbles February 20th, 2023

I learnt that I need to work on myself especially when it comes to my emotions as I let that dictate what I do. It's not healthy but through therapy, I have a better understanding of the trigger points and it is still a work in progress!

✒️ What are your strengths as per the test and how can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

I've learnt that while I am anxious, I do explore new avenues and hopefully, this can result in me being an effective leader.

Open Mindedness: You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. [86]

Conscientiousness: You probably have a messy desk! [4]

Extraversion: You are relatively social and enjoy the company of others. [75]

Agreeableness: You find it easy to criticize others. [7]

Negative Emotionality: You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things. [100]

calmingsun111 February 27th, 2023

@Hope

Hey hey :) ✒️hat were the main things you learned about yourself?

I learned this "You are extremely outgoing, social, and energetic." " So word "extremely" is very extremely important. :D I am all of these things, but I was surprised by word extremely,haha.

✒️What are your strengths as per the test and how can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

I am well organized and reliable, I do know how to express my feelings with others. In personal life is helpful in communicating with other or work related stuff. :)

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 5th, 2023

@calmingsun111

Being able to communicate things is a very important skill to have.

Trintzu March 3rd, 2023

@Hope

Nothing really surprises me. I just need to get along with my anxiety hehe.

Open-Mindedness - You are relatively open to new experiences

Conscientiousness - You are neither organized or disorganized

Extraversion - You probably enjoy spending quiet time alone

Agreeableness - You find it easy to criticize others

Negative Emotionality - You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 5th, 2023

1 open mindness

2 agreeable ness

3 remaining calm

4 all good at getting work done

5 I did not learn any thing new from both tests

6 I will keep doing what I am doing and try to do better at what I am not good at.

March 6th, 2023

What were the main things you learned about yourself?

I need to tone down my opinions about others. I'm good at keeping mum about this, but I need to view others more positively

What are your strengths as per the test and how can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

• O: having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways
  • C: very well-organized and can be relied upon
  • E: neither particularly social nor reserved
  • A: find it easy to criticize others
  • N: generally relaxed

My strengths help me to keep my life structured and keep my going

broadfemmelovelive April 4th, 2023

@charmingFlower8111

I appreciate that we both are good at finding new ways of doing things. :)

I'm inspired that you have the momentum to stay organized :)

Glad to see your discussion responses as we go through this program.

vivelespatates March 7th, 2023

What were the main things you learned about yourself? The test says i am not open to new experiences. it's strange since i enrolled in this program. :D

What are your strengths as per the test and how can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life? Both show i am very organised, it sure is useful to be organised in my things!

@vivelespatates

Yea for new experiences :)

beyoutofullkalon March 8th, 2023

@Hope

The test revealed that I'm open-minded, yet have a high level of negative energy surrounding me. It also ranked me in the lower percentile of the agreeableness factor, however, this may be something I strongly oppose- I don't think I would be "rude, harsh and callous," although I tend to be extremely critical. That was something new.

The test shows I'm open-minded and introverted. While I do agree that introverts can make great leaders, I find the greatest strength is being open-minded- it encompasses this willingness to listen to others and process what they are saying which in turn is one of the good traits of a leader.

JoyHappyNess March 12th, 2023

@Hope

Extraversion is my highest ranking positive skill that ranked at 77%. It explains that I am social and enjoys the company of others.

High ability to socialize has stood out in both tests and this can help me network in my personal life. Everyone needs a friend. No man is an island.

jadenrjc7 April 29th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess

I like your island metaphor, it really resonated with me :)

FeureVox March 13th, 2023

What were the main things you learned about yourself?

I am more Closed-Minded, Conscientious, Agreeable, Calm/relaxed.

Somewhat Introverted,

screenshot-2023-03-13-at-4-33-11-pm_1678707213.png

What are your strengths as per the test and how can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

Open-Mindedness: High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative.

You are somewhat conventional. (Your percentile: 20) The other person is somewhat conventional. (Their percentile: 24)

Conscientiousness: High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent.

You are well-organized, and are reliable. (Your percentile: 75) The other person probably has a messy desk! (Their percentile: 11)

Extraversion: High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet.

You tend to shy away from social situations. (Your percentile: 34) The other person tends to shy away from social situations. (Their percentile: 34)

Agreeableness: High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous.

You tend to consider the feelings of others. (Your percentile: 75) The other person is neither extremely forgiving nor irritable. (Their percentile: 40)

Negative Emotionality: High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy.

You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things. (Your percentile: 89) The other person is a generally anxious person and tends to worry about things. (Their percentile: 93)

Rubylistens22 April 3rd, 2023

@FeureVox

I really like how you broke everything down in that way, and it’s really cool to see you compared to another person and to see how different everyone is:)

FeureVox April 3rd, 2023

@Rubylistens22 Thank you for your appreciation.

Heart4art April 12th, 2023

@FeureVox Thanks for sharing your detailed results. This is interesting! I was feeling too shy to share too many details!

Nvlmi May 15th, 2023

@FeureVox

It is nice that your format is clear with further detail on your Big 5 scores and in its breakdown.

CurrySoup12 March 22nd, 2023

@Hope

I am assertive by 89%. Shocking for me actually. I didn't think I was actually that confident. But I think it has more to do with emotional strength which makes more sense to me because I am extremely confident in my own emotional abilities to overcome stress.

It also confirmed I was 50% introverted which is pretty much the standard for me that hasn't changed since I was young.

My strengths are being able to uphold myself amidst stress and staying the course. I believe in myself a lot and my ability to keep pushing is evident in this test.

KarmaTheRascal March 24th, 2023

@CurrySoup12

I love your strengths, and how you said they are helpful for you in your personal life.

The main things I learned about myself were:
1) I'm more open minded than I thought I was.

2) I found i'm more organized than I thought I was as well. (If you were to see my room you'd know why I thought I was less organized.)

3) I am way calmer than I sometimes think I am. I actually thought I got more stressed than I do.

4) I knew I was shy and still am. I am aware of this, just didn't know I was more shy than I actually thought I were.

5) I'm not really negative about emotions. My mental says otherwise sometimes.

The main things I learned about myself were:
1) I'm more open minded than I thought I was.

2) I found i'm more organized than I thought I was as well. (If you were to see my room you'd know why I thought I was less organized.)

3) I am way calmer than I sometimes think I am. I actually thought I got more stressed than I do.

4) I knew I was shy and still am. I am aware of this, just didn't know I was more shy than I actually thought I were.

5) I'm not really negative about emotions. My mental says otherwise sometimes.

My strengths per the test are agreeableness, and open mindedness. These strengths can help me in my personal life because being able to agree with them makes things a lot easier. If someone disagrees it could make things difficult. I am very easy going, so it's like hey do you want to do this? Most of the time I will say yes. Open mindedness is always great because you don't want to have tunnel vision, it keeps you in a tube of ideas and that's it. I don't want to be focused on just one idea, I want multiple ideas.

Please ignore the other post, I forgot about the second question.

RainbowRosie March 29th, 2023

@Hope

🌹 Supportive – Defenders truly enjoy helping others, and they happily share their knowledge, attention, and expertise with anyone who needs it.

🌹 Reliable – Rather than working in sporadic, excited bursts that leave things half finished, Defenders are meticulous and careful.

🌹 Observant – Defender personalities have a talent for noticing things, particularly about other people. They pay attention to the smallest details of what someone says and does, giving them unexpected insights into other people’s lives and emotions.

🌹 Enthusiastic – When the goal is right, Defenders apply all of their gifts to something that they believe will make a real, positive difference in people’s lives.

🌹 Hardworking – Defenders don’t just get their work done – they take pride in it. People with this personality type often form an emotional attachment to the projects and organizations that they’ve dedicated themselves to, and they won’t rest until they’ve done their share – or more than their share – to be of help.

🌹 Good Practical Skills – This personality type offers the rare combination of an altruistic nature and hard-won practicality. Defenders don’t just hope to help others. They take action – meaning that they’re more than happy to roll up their sleeves and do what’s necessary to care for their friends, family, and anyone else who needs it.

🌹 I know myself well anyway but it’s always good to understand them and know who you are.

🌹 I do feel it’s with my weaknesses that I have the potential to learn more.

🌹 So interesting learning about not only myself but others who have posted on here too.

Rubylistens22 April 3rd, 2023

@Hope

✒️ What were the main things you learned about yourself? I learned that I’m pretty down to earth and not the most creative. I also learned that I’m not the most organized (not surprising) and that I’m pretty calm and relaxed under high pressure moments .

✒️ What are your strengths as per the test and how can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life? I got a 93% agreeable score and I think that’s a strength. Some of my strengths for my ISFJ personality was that I’m extremely very responsible and hardworking . I think these all are good in life for basically everything I do.

RainbowRosie April 3rd, 2023

@Hope

🌹I feel I know myself well so no surprises. That said, it was nice to read that I was organised and conscientious.

🌹 That I am good natured, courteous and supportive. These strengths will help me believe in myself which will in turn help me to continue to learn.

spedolivia April 13th, 2023

@RainbowRosie

💯

I learned that I am very skeptical of these quizzes, haha. The "Big Five" is no diffrent. I like how they explicitly explain the statistics where "the percentile scores show you where you score on each personality dimension relative to other people, taking into account normal differences in gender and age." I also like how the five denominations came from analyzing the data collected after asking hundreds of questions to thousands of people.

I know that as an auADHD person, many of these answers could go one or both ways at any given time. So it was challenging not to pick a middle-ground answer for all the questions.

I scored very high on the open-mindedness trait, 99th percentile. Being open-minded is defined in this quiz as those who "tend to be original, creative, curious, [and] complex," which I would consider myself. This definition of openminded trait also states, "Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative." Despite being at the highest score, I am also down to earth as I have no illusions regarding the separation between my imagination/ bias/ prejudices of the world and the reality of our current state. Unless they define down-to-earth differently, I will be researching this further.

As far as my conscientiousness dimension scored, I am "neither organized nor disorganized," which is a constant battle between my need for organization and my executive functioning differences compared to neurotypicals that make time management, planning and consistency/follow thorough so challenging. I constantly need help following time management strategies; keeping them up as a habit is nearly impossible because my need for novelty is high. As my demand avoidance or overwhelm takes over, I quickly procrastinate on these challenging tasks. I am learning to adapt these tools to my needs, but it is more complex than just buying a calendar or using a new organizing app. One thing that has significantly helped is employing an ADHD coach who takes care of the steps that are just not going to happen, paying to have my taxes/financial planning done, and relying on editing software; I know this is not accessible to most, as it has exponential costs associated with employing people who are basically like your life administrative staff.

I received a midpoint score for agreeableness, which stated "neither extremely forgiving nor irritable," which I would have said, "either going with the flow or extremely rigid." I understand that I am, at the core, a good person, though, and I tend to forgive easily since out-of-sight and out-of-mind also works for people. I recognize that some of my responses can come across as rude sometimes, as I am very blunt, which I correct as much as possible. I also know that when things change at the last min, I sometimes get overwhelmed, and I use sensory strategies in that case, such as noise-cancelling headphones.

My extraversion depends on how I am doing that day, and I need a lot of recovery time after difficult social situations. So, of course, I come across as outgoing, but I am also a homebody.

The last of this quiz's 'Big Five' is negative emotionality; my controversial self was all over this one. I am slightly over to the "tend to become anxious or nervous" category; however, when taking this quiz, I felt overwhelmed by my many obligations. So, I referred to my tracking data and saw that I only felt anxious enough to note it down as moderate to high anxiety 12% of the days in the last month. This self-collected data is essential because I struggle with negative experiences and frequently focus on what is going wrong. I will continue taking this as a means of self-reflection for this reason.

This long-winded answer is complex, but I have identified through taking the MBTI Personality Types and Big Five quizzes that my strengths shine through the inconsistencies. This experience only furthers my initiatives, such as tracking my mood (among other life aspects), relying on supports that negate challenges, and increasing my quality of life by taking my social/physical/mental well-being seriously.

zaatarHoney April 10th, 2023

@broadfemmelovelive

As an AudHDer, I completely relate to how it felt taking this test!!!! Like, it was hard to choose with the questions being all-or-nothing. I appreciated your breakdown and how you analyzed each category. You put such reflection into each category— your ability to analyze and remain authentic would serve any team very well. ♡

broadfemmelovelive April 11th, 2023

@zaatarHoney

Thank you Zaatar :) that is very kind of you to say :)

zaatarHoney April 10th, 2023

@Hope

I learned that I scored high on open-mindedness, agreeableness and extravertedness. I learned that my semi-high scores were for neuroticism, lmbo. Which makes sense— as a complex trauma survivor, anxiety has always been my baseline, I’ve just gotten pretty decent at coping and support seeking. For conscientiousness/Disorganized, I placed pretty near the middle— I’m neurodivergent and I’m aware that I’m a bit all over the place so I need structure that is both rigid and open to flexibility for me to thrive and remain organized. But I truly can go either way— that’s why being aware of this has helped me develop professionally and even in my personal life.

My strengths being identified in these tests seem to validate the sense of purpose I feel for all of the pathways I’ve been pursuit of and that I’m aligned intuitively with where I’m meant to be— especially in focusing on how I can help others.

Heart4art April 12th, 2023

@Hope I scored the highest in openness, it was 97%, everything else was mostly in the middle. This definitely aligns with the previous test its emphasis on intuitiveness.

spedolivia April 13th, 2023

@Hope

i learned that i am more open-minded than closed-minded.

some of my strengths are being extroverted & relaxed. these are able to help me in tough situations & keep myself calm when things aren't the best at the moment.

April 21st, 2023

@spedolivia

That's great to hear that you have discovered your strength in being more open-minded than closed-minded. It's a valuable trait to have as it allows you to be more accepting of different perspectives and ideas, and can help you develop meaningful relationships with others.

It's also wonderful to hear that you have recognized your strengths in being extroverted and relaxed. These qualities can be incredibly helpful in tough situations as they can help you stay calm and level-headed, and can also make it easier for you to connect with others and build a supportive network.

gsp-banner_1682107580.png

April 21st, 2023

@Hope

The main thing I learned is my results changed from 2021.

According to this test, my top 3 strengths are...

• I am critical. - This helps me see where things can be improved.
  • I probably have a messy desk. - Messy in this context is what others see, but I see piles of organized reminders. For those with ADHD, if it’s out of sight, it’s out of mind, so I tend to forget stuff exists if I don’t see it.
  • I am an introvert. - This helps me do behind the scenes work well alone.
The strengths I’ve identified on both tests will help me in my personal life…
  • I will be able to play to my strengths when possible and make the most of situations I face.
  • I will be more mindful of my strengths and try to use them to balance out my weaknesses and potentially develop new strengths.
  • I will make an effort to try more new things when opportunities present themselves despite being easily overwhelmed by new scenarios.

gsp-banner_1682107413.png

jadenrjc7 April 29th, 2023

@Hope

I learned that I'm an openminded person, but can be very anxious and worried.

I'm openminded, somewhat disorganized, I enjoy being with others, I am supportive, and I get worried and anxious a lot. Knowing this will help me navigate obstacles in my life, knowing what my strengths and weaknesses are.

JoyHappyNess April 29th, 2023

@jadenrjc7

Open-mindedness is a great character trait and I agree with you, it will help you navigate a lot of obstacles especially in an ever-changing world

Smrtbibliophile May 3rd, 2023

@jadenrjc7

I also scored as anxious and worried - but I feel I can turn it into a strength to help me relate to people with anxiety.

Smrtbibliophile May 2nd, 2023

@Hope

What did I learn about myself: I don't think anything really surprised me, maybe that I'm open to new experiences which I am to some degree but I'm introverted (which I knew, lol) and I do typically shy away from new experiences with a lot of new people or new experiences that are thrilling (like rollar coasters lol)

I was pretty middle of the road except I tend to be nervous or anxious, and as stated above I'm open to new experiences. I think the anxiousness and the fact that I'm an empath actuallly work together as I am able to better relate to members here.

GermanZebraCupcake May 3rd, 2023

@Hope

✒️ What were the main things you learned about yourself? I'm in the 94th percentile for open-mindedness but also 98th percentile on being unable to relax, haha

✒️ What are your strengths as per the test and how can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life? I definitely think my ability to be open-minded and agreeable is a net positive generally. It enables me to connect better with people and promote better understanding among people who may not have otherwise cared about understanding people different than them.

MagnificentSunrise May 10th, 2023

Open-mindedness sounds like a very good quality for your work on Cups. It is important to accept the other as they are and see them in their context and with their struggles rather than judging them.