Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hobby Holidays!

EmotionsListener December 12th, 2022

It's time for our Hobby Holidays Celebration! Join Us for Our Twelve days of โ€œHobby-Mas"

Over the next 12 days I'll be sharing different crafts and hobby related fun in this thread, things to try or enjoy that celebrate this time of year, winter, Christmas, or general holiday cheer!

_1670851076.Hobby Holidays 2.png

[Image consists of a series of different sized rectangles randomly numbered 1 through 12]

So as the "12 days of hobby-masโ€ begins you likely know the tune, feel free to sing along.... ๐ŸŽถ

๐ŸŽOn the first day of hobby-mas my creativity made a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the second day of hobby-mas my creativity made two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the third day of hobby-mas my creativity made three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the fourth day of hobby-mas my creativity made four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the fifth day of hobby-mas my creativity made five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the sixth day of hobby-mas my creativity made time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the seventh day of hobby-mas my creativity made seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the eighth day of hobby-mas my creativity made eight tops a-spinning, seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the ninth day of hobby-mas my creativity made nine knit scarves, eight tops a-spinning, seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the tenth day of hobby-mas my creativity made ten hats by hooking, nine knit scarves, eight tops a-spinning, seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the eleventh day of hobby-mas my creativity made eleven hours for watching, ten hats by hooking, nine knit scarves, eight tops a-spinning, seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

๐ŸŽOn the twelfth day of hobby-mas my creativity made twelve dozen cookies, eleven hours for watching, ten hats by hooking, nine knit scarves, eight tops a-spinning, seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

Click each day to jump to the associated post in this thread!

https://forms.gle/tSRzfxpQJvvYpZXh6 Feedback & Ideas Form, Share your ideas!

Tagging the Hobby Zone subcommunity tag list

(If you want to be added/removed click here!)

@Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @HealingTalk @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @NicholasW @NixiePixieStick @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @SerenitysFire @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @Walker7957 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie

MistyMagic December 15th, 2022

@EmotionsListener I love making cards and Christmas and New Year is no exception! I love the blue ribbon too, I need to get some for mine!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

EmotionsListener OP December 16th, 2022

@MistyMagic

I'd love to see some of your cards! As to the ribbon, you may notice I used the scraps from sewing those gift bags! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

EmbStitcher33 December 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

I can make embroidered post cards with my machine....

These are very nice... you are Inspiring me!!! โค๏ธ ๐Ÿ˜Š ๐ŸŒฒ โœ‚๏ธ โ—๏ธ

EmotionsListener OP December 19th, 2022

@EmbStitcher33

That sounds like it would be a really cool and different card for sure! Making me want an embroidery machine more every day! ๐Ÿคฃ

SleepyShyCat December 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

I love hand made cards! I always like to add a painting or drawing. My grandmother always handmakes everyone cards too, those are fun to recieve.

And I love the pet card, you have a very cute model there for the example ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿˆ

@SleepyShyCat

I find my style changes based on my mood the day I make the cards, but somehow they just come together in the end! Happy card making!

YourCaringConfidant December 22nd, 2022

@EmotionsListener My crafting mood continues. Here are 4 greeting cards I just made. Thank you for this thread because I love my creative side coming out. Happy holidays everyone. ๐ŸŽ„_1671727131.20221222_113434.jpg

EmotionsListener OP December 16th, 2022

๐ŸŽถโ€ฆOn the fifth day of hobby-mas my creativity made five beaded ornaments!

Beaded snowflake ornaments are lots of fun to make, and the best part is that no two snowflakes need to be alike! You can use a variety of beads and your imagination to design your own snowflakes once you have a basic pattern! If you have a bit more time and dedication you may even want to try making a beaded sequin ornament, these require a bit more patience but they can be a beautiful gift for someoneโ€™s tree!

_1671199827.Ornaments.png

[Image consists of some beaded snowflakes and sequin ornaments]

Check out these links to patterns for both snowflake and sequin ornaments!

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Make-a-Beaded-Snowflake-Ornament/

https://www.instructables.com/Sequins-Ornaments/

So will you break out the beads and make a beautiful snowflake?

Do you have any ornaments or decorations that carry a special meaning for you? Perhaps a style you collect? Share with us!

@EmotionsListener

I'm working on snowflakes right now! These are so nice!!

I'll take a picture of some of them and post them here later today...

Thank you for doing this for all of us.

@EmbStitcher33

I would love to see your results! It can be a lot of fun making snowflakes, each one can be a new bit of creative fun!

MistyMagic December 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener I love making my own ornaments, using clay or jewellery wire, thanks for posting !

@MistyMagic

I'd love to see some of your creations!

@EmotionsListener

My family has a tradition where in the evening on Christmas day everyone sits together and we craft next year's decorations, sometimes they're themed and sometimes we turn it into a competition for most creative decoration. It's always lots of fun. My cat likes to run off with any string laying around though and hide it under beds lol

@SleepyShyCat

That sounds like a wonderful tradition, although silly kitty!

@EmotionsListener

Very nice.... I found a very unique tree topper... what'd yah think.... ๐Ÿ˜‚

_1671200595.cat tree topper.png

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 16th, 2022

@EmbStitcher33 Haha purrfecttt!โค

MistyMagic December 16th, 2022

@EmbStitcher33 I am tagging @SleepyShyCat as they will love this!!

@EmbStitcher33

The cutest tree topper I have ever seen! Where can I get one ๐Ÿ˜†

EmbStitcher33 December 17th, 2022

@SleepyShyCat

Well, I guess you could make your own.

Just put a fresh sprig of Catnip up there and let 'er rip... ๐Ÿ˜‚

SleepyShyCat December 17th, 2022

@EmbStitcher33

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘€ Don't give me ideas because I have the supplies to do so, and a cat who is VERY willing to climb any tree (my mum would not be impressed though)... Maybe the day after Christmas I could try ๐Ÿ˜‰

EmbStitcher33 December 18th, 2022

@SleepyShyCat

Sounds like a safe plan ๐Ÿ˜‚

@EmbStitcher33

Totally angelic to me. ๐Ÿ˜น

EmotionsListener OP December 17th, 2022

๐ŸŽถโ€ฆOn the sixth day of hobby-mas my creativity made time to volunteer!

On this the sixth day of our hobby-mas celebration we thought we would take a moment to think about ways we can give back, many organizations are looking for volunteers and donations this time of year. Even thinking of how you can use your hobbies to serve others can lead to lots of ideas and good to add back to the world.

Perhaps youโ€™ll work with a local shelter and cook for those who would otherwise go without? Maybe you knit or sew and can make winter hats, mittens, and scarves to warm others? Many hold bake sales to raise money for charity, or perhaps youโ€™re a wiz when it comes to wrapping? Even using your voice to go caroling can be a way to volunteer!

So today I give you six โ€œvolun-cheers!โ€ for all that you do to bring light, love and warmth to the lives of others.

Do you have a way you like to give back or volunteer this time of year? Or maybe year round?

_1671282760.Christmas Tree Volunteer Blue.png

[image consists of a series of hands mimicking a Christmas tree shape.]

MistyMagic December 17th, 2022

@EmotionsListener Awesome Yes! Cheer for all Volunteers!

EmbStitcher33 December 17th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

I'd like to try and deliver a plate of homemade goodies to the hospital staff that works on Christmas Eve. I'd do it for the police department too but not sure that's legal. I remember making my daughter's deliver homemade presents to neighbors one year. I wanted them to experience giving too.

@EmbStitcher33

Sounds very thoughtful of you, I'm sure the staff and your neighbours appreciate all that you do!

EmotionsListener OP December 18th, 2022

๐ŸŽถโ€ฆOn the seventh day of hobby-mas my creativity made seven silly songs! (like the one I wrote for this event!)

Or maybe youโ€™ll find this next one to be just purrfect!๐Ÿˆ

โ€œO' feline friend, o' feline friend

How lovely are thy whiskers

You keep them clean, and washed just so

Your fur as white as fallen snow

O' feline friend, o' feline friend

How lovely are thy whiskers

You are so soft, and petable

No time with you, regrettable

O' feline friend, o' feline friend

How lovely are thy whiskersโ€ฆโ€

_1671393311.cat in tree.png

[Image consists of a cat in a Christmas tree]

So yep itโ€™s time for some silly songs to sing along. Will you join in and take one of your favourite holiday tunes and give it a fun new spin? I canโ€™t wait to hear all the joyous noise!

MistyMagic December 19th, 2022

@EmotionsListener love the feline song! I never had you down as a silly song writer!

@MistyMagic

Of course I love silly songs! You should hear what I sing when I wash my hands! ๐Ÿ˜

SleepyShyCat December 19th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Lol emo this is the best song, my new festive favourite I may just steal ๐Ÿ˜‰

Purrfect

cat-singing.gif

@SleepyShyCat

I thought you might enjoy this furry friend version of O Christmas Tree, perhaps we'll have to create a whole set of Cat-mas carols? ๐Ÿ˜ผ

SleepyShyCat December 21st, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Some cat-mas carols would certainly improve my day on Sunday, who needs music when you have my (awful) singing anyway ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

๐ŸŽถโ€ฆOn the eighth day of hobby-mas my creativity made eight tops a-spinning!

A few pieces of paper and a bit of folding fun and you can make a paper top! Who knows you may just be having a bit more fun with a simple toy than you ever expected?! So, will you give this one a whirl? A basic modular origami pattern for a spinning top can be found here: https://www.printablesfairy.com/origami-spinning-top/

_1671486671.Spinning Tops collage.png

[image consists of a series of images depicting the steps in assembling modular origami tops, a series of different tops and a spinning top]

Or, given itโ€™s Hanukkah, maybe youโ€™d enjoy making a origami dreidel instead? A quick search and you can find a variety of patterns available for 2D and even 3D dreidels you can take for a spin!

_1671486715.Dreidels.jpg

[image consists of a pair of different origami dreidels]

If you make a spinning top, share it with us!
Can you think of any other simple toys that can provide even adults with a bit of fun this time of year?

@EmotionsListener

I love spinning tops! When I was younger they used to come in Christmas crackers and they were my favourite to play with

EmotionsListener OP December 22nd, 2022

@SleepyShyCat

It's funny how much fun these are, maybe it's because I took 3 squares of paper folded them up and made the tops, but even the cat seems to enjoy watching me play with them. (If you get one spinning just right it can bump into others and set them to spinning too!)

EmotionsListener OP December 20th, 2022

๐ŸŽถโ€ฆOn the ninth day of hobby-mas my creativity made nine knit scarves!

Knitting a scarf can be a great way to learn to knit, or practice a new stitch pattern or skill. Scarves can knit up in a matter of hours and make great gifts! So for our creative creations today Iโ€™ll share some of my favourite knit scarf patterns.

Before we get into those patterns, some basic tips/tricks when making scarves:

• The average adult scarf is 152 to 177cm (60 to 70 inches) long, by about 15 to 20 cm (6 to 8 inches) wide.

• The average childโ€™s scarf tends to be the same length as the childโ€™s height and only 7 to 15 cm (3 to 6 inches) wide.

• You can use any of your favourite yarns and patterns to make a basic scarf!

• Most scarves only require one or two balls of yarn.

So for our most basic beginner knit scarf pattern that can also be a great way to use up leftover scraps of yarn, where there is no need to weave in ends or worry about joining new yarn. I give you the basic โ€œknit lengthwise scarfโ€

_1671556823.Scarf.jpg

[image consists of a โ€œknit lengthwise scarfโ€ made with homespun yarn in the colour โ€˜waterfallโ€™]

Iโ€™ve made this scarf a number of times over the years, sometimes with lots of thin yarns, other times with thicker yarns. So first for the size of knitting needles youโ€™ll need, check the recommended size needle found on the yarn. Thatโ€™s usually a good starting point. For example, I knit tight so I tend to need to go up one or two sizes of knitting needle.

To get a scarf that is about 152 cm(60 inches) long using a medium-bulky weight yarn and leaving a 20 cm(8 inch) tail, cast on around 175-200 stitches. The thinner your yarn and smaller your knitting needles the more stitches you may need, and in contrast the thicker your yarn and larger your knitting needles the fewer stitches. Personally Iโ€™d rather have a scarf that is a bit too long than too short so I tend to use at least 175 stitches.

Now itโ€™s all about knitting. At the end of each row leave a long tail, cut your yarn, tie on a new piece of yarn again leaving a long tail. (These long tails will become the โ€˜fringeโ€™ on your scarf when you are done!) Then just knit across! Itโ€™s that simple each row you will cut and tie a new piece of yarn, this can allow for lots of creative switching yarns if you like!

Once your scarf is wide enough, tie another yarn on and cast off loosely. Leaving a long tail at the end where you simply knot it with the previous row of fringe, and your scarf is done. At this point I like to take a moment to tighten and adjust any knots on my fringe that may need it, then trim my fringe if needed.

So thatโ€™s one basic beginner pattern! Here are 8 more knit scarves to try, in a range of skill levels!

Chunky and cozy? Maybe this pattern is for you? https://www.allaboutami.com/the-arbor-scarf/

Perhaps youโ€™d like a scarf that almost ties itself? https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/missmarple-scarf

Want to start some simple lacework? https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/frostlight

Enjoy the idea of knitting lengthwise and changing colours, this pattern might do the trick! https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mini-mania-scarf

Looking for a bit more challenge for a beautiful lacy result? https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knit-Scarves/Candle-Flame-Scarf

If you are a more advanced knitter perhaps this elegant scarf will make you want to wrap yourself up in this pattern: https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/03/25/jasmine-scarf/

Loving the lace? Check out this โ€œcheckerboardโ€ lace scarf! https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2009/04/03/whits-knits-checkerboard-lace-scarf/

New to Fair Isle knitting wanting to give it a go, maybe this scarf can give you a fantastic fist step? https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2019/02/06/falling-snow-scarf/

_1671556764.knitting ornaments.png

[image consists of a series of knitting/ball of yarn themed ornaments]

So, if you already knit will you take a few hours and try your hand at knitting one of these scarves? Maybe you have a favourite scarf pattern of your own youโ€™d like to share with us?

If you donโ€™t knit, perhaps a scarf would be a way to begin? Otherwise do you have a favourite scarf you like to wear? Did someone ever make you a scarf?

@EmotionsListener

Did I read homespun yarn ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Knitting is a skill I've never been able to pick up, but I'd love to be able to one day so I could make myself a scarf or a hat or something fun ๐Ÿงถ

EmotionsListener OP December 22nd, 2022

@SleepyShyCat

Not that kind of homespun! It's a brand of yarn, although my mother almost got me a spinning wheel years ago.... ๐Ÿงถ

As for knitting (and crochet) - getting started can feel intimidating, but I find once you have the basics down you can quickly progress! I know one thing I sometimes will do for friends who are just starting is provide them with the foundation row so they can start practicing the easier steps first, especially as most of what they will do is that part of the project. Then once they are comfortable with that, go back to learning how to create their own foundation rows etc.

EmotionsListener OP December 21st, 2022

๐ŸŽถโ€ฆOn the tenth day of hobby-mas my creativity made ten hats by hooking!

You got it, the yarn arts continue today as we turn from knitting to crochet!

_1671630625.crochet hooks.png

[Image consists of a series of different colour and size crochet hooks]

Crochet hat patterns can be worked flat or start with a magic circle and grow with each round. But there are lots of patterns out there to be found. If you just want to get started and see what you can create, it can be a fun way to explore some new yarn or stitch patterns!.

While ideally you would measure the circumference of the intended head, here are some general measurements instead:

Preemie: 23 to 30.5cm (9 to 12 inches)

Infant: 35.5 to 40.5 cm (14 to 16 inches)

Toddler: 40.5 to 46 cm (16 to 18 inches)

Child: 45.5 to 51 cm (18 to 20 inches)

Teen: 51 to 56 cm (20 to 22 inches)

Adult (small): 53 to 58.5 cm (21 to 23 inches)

Adult (large): 56 to 61 cm (22 to 24 inches)

As to the length of your hat - thatโ€™s often determined by how much you want it to slouch!

So without further ado, here are 10 fun crochet hat patterns you may want to check out:

_1671630490.Cat Elf.png
[Image consists of a cat in a crochet elf hat.]

So do you wear a hat in the winter? Is there a style you prefer? Maybe slouchy? With pompoms? What do you look for in a winter hat?

MistyMagic December 21st, 2022

@EmotionsListener I needed these ideas, thanks so much and wow at the cat!

Thank-you so much for doing all this work and posting these for us!