Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hobby Holidays!

EmotionsListener December 12th, 2022

It's time for our Hobby Holidays Celebration! Join Us for Our Twelve days of “Hobby-Mas"

Over the next 12 days I'll be sharing different crafts and hobby related fun in this thread, things to try or enjoy that celebrate this time of year, winter, Christmas, or general holiday cheer!

_1670851076.Hobby Holidays 2.png

[Image consists of a series of different sized rectangles randomly numbered 1 through 12]

So as the "12 days of hobby-mas” begins you likely know the tune, feel free to sing along.... 🎶

🎁On the first day of hobby-mas my creativity made a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the second day of hobby-mas my creativity made two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the third day of hobby-mas my creativity made three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the fourth day of hobby-mas my creativity made four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the fifth day of hobby-mas my creativity made five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the sixth day of hobby-mas my creativity made time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the seventh day of hobby-mas my creativity made seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the eighth day of hobby-mas my creativity made eight tops a-spinning, seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the ninth day of hobby-mas my creativity made nine knit scarves, eight tops a-spinning, seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the tenth day of hobby-mas my creativity made ten hats by hooking, nine knit scarves, eight tops a-spinning, seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the eleventh day of hobby-mas my creativity made eleven hours for watching, ten hats by hooking, nine knit scarves, eight tops a-spinning, seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

🎁On the twelfth day of hobby-mas my creativity made twelve dozen cookies, eleven hours for watching, ten hats by hooking, nine knit scarves, eight tops a-spinning, seven silly songs, time to volunteer, five beaded ornaments, four greeting cards, three minute fudge, two sewn gift sacks and a handmade Christmas tree!

Click each day to jump to the associated post in this thread!

https://forms.gle/tSRzfxpQJvvYpZXh6 Feedback & Ideas Form, Share your ideas!

Tagging the Hobby Zone subcommunity tag list

(If you want to be added/removed click here!)

@Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @HealingTalk @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @NicholasW @NixiePixieStick @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @SerenitysFire @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @Walker7957 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie

EmotionsListener OP December 12th, 2022

🎶… On the first day of hobby-mas my creativity made a handmade Christmas tree!

That’s right! Today’s crafty creation can come to life in so many different ways, from two simple tree silhouettes made of cardboard or cardstock slotted together to something far more elaborate, you decide!

For my small space I actually had a bit of fun making a few different trees. From a simple bit of folding origami paper, some creative folding and cutting of scrapbooking paper and lastly something far more involved using cardstock.

_1670851303.trees.jpg

[Image consists of three different handmade Christmas trees]

If you’d like to make one of these trees here are some sources of inspiration:

Origami your thing? A quick search for “origami Christmas tree” and you’ll get lots of videos that show you how, you can even add an origami star as the one here.

Perhaps you want to try something more elaborate? I made my cardstock Christmas tree using a scaled down version of the cardboard Christmas tree pattern found here!

_1670851280.Tree pattern pieces.jpg

[Image consists of the pattern pieces I used for my cardstock Christmas tree.]

Ultimately mix a dash of time with a sprinkle of creativity, and you can create your very own Christmas tree, be it really quite small, or several feet tall!

_1670851239.Trees Cardboard.png

[Image consists of a collage of various different cardboard Christmas tree designs.]

So do you decorate a Christmas tree? Have too little space? Maybe a handmade tree is just what you need?

Come back tomorrow to unwrap another creative creation or concept!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 12th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

This is absolutely beautiful. Your creativity stuns me!🥰❤

I'm excited to try an origami tree also, might share, if I'm able to make one hehe! 🎄

MistyMagic December 12th, 2022

I agree, I will try too! How hard can it be??? 🤩

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 12th, 2022

@MistyMagic We'd have to try it to find out! 😆 Lezzdoittt yay!

EmotionsListener OP December 13th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Thank you so much, I'm glad to see you tried making a tree as well!

MistyMagic December 12th, 2022

I love tbe blue tree! Sooo pretty! I am eagerly following Hobbymas!!! Such good fun!!!

@MistyMagic

Thank you! I really hope everyone will enjoy some of the hobby-mas fun! 😁

SleepyShyCat December 14th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Hobby-mas!! *dances* *puts on Christmas hat*

Oooh, origami Christmas trees 😮 and I think I can do those! (well, I hope so lol) my room is going to be filled with tiny trees I'm sure 🎄

kitty-claws-christmas-tree-cat-playing-with-christmas-tree.gif

EmotionsListener OP December 14th, 2022

@SleepyShyCat

An origami forest sounds good to me! Also a bit easier to protect from tiny tempted tigers! 🎄🐈

blitheSun94 December 21st, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Tiny tempted tigers! I have one of those. 😂❤️

Lou73 December 14th, 2022

I love these origami trees @EmotionsListener 🎄🎄 I had them scattered all over my house one year, it was like a mini forest! 😄

@Lou73

I believe it! Origami has a way of inspiring that kind of enthusiasm! I like that the one tree pattern I found actually folds down flat so even if I make a dozen I can store them away for next year easily! 🎄🎄🎄

mytwistedsoul December 15th, 2022

@EmotionsListener _1671132823.20221215_143243.jpg

EmotionsListener OP December 16th, 2022

@mytwistedsoul

Well done!

mytwistedsoul December 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener ty! 😊 was a lot of fun

ThadSterling December 16th, 2022

This looks like fun! I want to try this out and add some Christmas cheer to my room and office area…hopefully I can learn it well enough to show my daughter how. Thank you for sharing!

EmotionsListener OP December 16th, 2022

@ThadSterling

I hope you will enjoy - I found the smallest one of the three was fairly easy to fold and will likely be the easiest to 'store' for using again next year. I hope your daughter will get to have some fun too, origami can be great with kids!

YourCaringConfidant December 22nd, 2022

@EmotionsListener I am in a crafting mood this morning so here is my homemade Christmas tree! 🎄 I used washi tape and stickers. Lol. _1671699697.20221222_040020.jpg

EmotionsListener OP December 22nd, 2022

@YourCaringConfidant

Thank you for sharing, looks great!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 13th, 2022

_1670923075.image.png_1670923025.image.png

@EmotionsListener @MistyMagic

First attempt haha, this was quite fun and I'll make more too, which I hope will turn out better smh, with colorful paper, when I go to the store this week. XD 🥰

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Well done! I hope you had fun! Seeing as you are seeking out more colourful paper perhaps you did! One fun way to get a bit more colourful paper at home can also be to take crayons and just let go scribble all over the page with a few different colours trying just to cover the page with colour.

Thank you for joining in, and Hobby Holidays!!!

@EmotionsListener Thankyouu, it was fun for sure! And that's a wonderful idea, mixing two hobbies hehe~ coloring and origami, quite smart I must say! On it! Yay!

Happy holidays to you as well! 🎄

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Mixing hobbies? Me? Always! 😁

MistyMagic December 13th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Sunn that is really good well done! I still have to try mine out, I got looking for card and paper and got lost in boxes lol!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

@MistyMagic Aw thankyou, Mistyy. I really felt that lol, getting lost in boxes is real haha. Hope you get to make some trees soon too!🥰

🎶…On the second day of hobby-mas my creativity made two sewn gift sacks!

So for today it’s time to break out the fabric and your sewing supplies. I absolutely love making gift bags when giving presents. Seeing them reused is also a happy moment! Many even treat them as part of their gift rather than just the wrapping.

Making these can be a very simple beginner sewing project, though a sewing machine certainly makes this a faster project!

Measure it to get an idea of how big your bag will need to be. Then add at least double your seam allowance! (I like to use a 1cm seam allowance so that means adding 2 cm to my measurements!) You can also add at least a few extra cm to make the bag a little more roomy. Remember too big and you can always make it smaller, too small and it’s a lot more work to make it bigger!

_1670938704.Gift bag.jpg

[image consists of a simple gift bag with ribbon tie]

At this point I like to decide how I plan to use the ribbon to tie off the bag, would I like it to be a drawstring sack? Or maybe I’d rather tie the ribbon around the outside of the bag so I get a decorative frill of fabric on the top of my gift. This will determine how much extra fabric I leave at the top of my gift bag for creating a drawstring pocket or fabric that extends well beyond the end of the gift for ease of tying.

Next pick your fabric! There are lots of different colours and themes of craft cotton. Depending on the size of your gift you may need more or less fabric. I usually just get 2 meters or so of fabric so I can make a few different bags of different sizes. Once you have your fabric you’ll need a coordinating ribbon or cord to use when making your tie.

_1670938512.Sewing 1.jpg

[image consists of basic sewing supplies, fabric, ribbon, measuring tape, sewing gauge, rotary tool, ruler and mat.]

Most gift bags will consist of two rectangles, though sometimes I like to cut one double length piece of fabric so I only have to sew up two sides instead of three, but that depends on the directionality of the fabric.If your fabric pattern has a ‘top’ and ‘bottom’ make sure to cut your piece(s) accordingly! Iron your fabric, mark your rectangles carefully to ensure that your bag will be big enough, if you have a rotary tool and mat that can certainly simplify getting some perfect rectangles!

Time to pin the rectangles together and get to sewing!

• If you are making a gift bag where you will simply tie the ribbon on afterward you can essentially with right sides of fabric together sew up 3 sides then turn down a small hem on the open edge iron, turn down again iron and top stitch for a finished edge. Turn it right side out, insert your gift and add your ribbon to tie it shut!

• If you want to make a drawstring version it will require a bit more careful planning. Do you want the ribbon(s) to pull from both sides or only one? How wide is your ribbon - you’ll need to make a ribbon pocket wide enough for it!

• Once again working with the right sides of the fabric together. Stitch together the bottom (red line in image below) and all but the top 6 cm or so of the sides.(green lines - note the blue circles where we leave the sides unstitched) We’ll use this extra to make ribbon pockets.

• To help give a finished edge to the ribbon pocket, press open the side seam allowance of the top 5 cm of fabric. (blue circled areas)

• Make a ribbon pocket by folding the fabric down from the top edge. Be sure your pocket will be large enough for your ribbon, for example if you use a 5mm ribbon make the pocket 7mm deep. Stitching along the bottom edge of the ribbon pocket (yellow line) on one side of the bag then repeat on the other side of the bag.

_1670938649.Sewing 7.png

[Image consists of the steps in sewing a gift bag]

• Using a large eye needle or safety pin, it’s now time to thread the ribbon in the ribbon channels to create a double sided drawstring you can use 2 pieces of ribbon, each ribbon will go all the way around the bag but start from opposite sides of the bag so that your knots will end up on opposite sides as well.

• Turn your bag right side out, insert your gift and pull both knotted ends of the ribbon to close this style.

_1670938453.Gift bag 2.jpg

[Image consists of the finished gift bag]

So there you go, that’s a wrap for today!

What about you? Do you have any creative gift wrapping ideas? Maybe you like furoshiki? Share with us!

MistyMagic December 13th, 2022

@EmotionsListener I love this idea, I make cards and presents, even wrapping paper but never thought of gift bags, will start early for next year. This year we have all agree to wrap in newspaper!

@MistyMagic

Sounds like a plan, I go at the end of the season to the fabric store when they are clearing out their Christmas fabrics!

Newspaper works well too and was destined for the recycle already so it's great to reuse before you recycle!

SleepyShyCat December 14th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

So cool! They look great 😸 my wrapping skills consist of get sticky tape stuck to everything I don't want it stuck to, material cut to the wrong size, and a wonky looking finish 😳

Look, I have no hope for wrapping. However I have my own version of 'frosting' over the mistakes like I do with cakes - I get a sheet of paper, add pretty drawings to it, and stick it right on top of my mess. And it works, people love it! (the drawings that is... We don't speak of what's underneath) 🎁🐈

@SleepyShyCat

Wrapping can be a bit of a nightmare at times! I have wrapped presents for kids using 'tissue paper' (easier to rip off) but for the most part I'm all about gift bags, and sewn gift bags are my favourite to make, and no 'perfect fit' required, I don't even bother with tissue paper, just put item in and draw the bag closed!

...Although if you look at our post for today you may see I also make gift boxes.... (Yay origami!)

EmbStitcher33 December 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Very nice. I'm trying to make some bags for daughter's oracle and tarot cards. I've got some really pretty machine embroidery designs lined up for them. Might not get them done for Christmas but I will share what I end up making on my hobby thread.

I'm also making little pouches for crystals.

EmotionsListener OP December 19th, 2022

@EmbStitcher33

Those sound like they will turn out great! I have made a few small crochet pouches as well over the years!

🎶…On the third day of hobby-mas my creativity made three minute fudge!

If you want to dive into this sweet treat, it’s super simple to make, and the magic happens in your microwave!

_1671018166.Fudge 2.jpg

[image consists of a gift box of fudge]

So without further adieu, here’s the recipe for you.

3-Minute Microwave Fudge

Ingredients

• 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (approx. 300ml)

• 1 bag Sweet or Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips (approx. 300g)

• 1 tsp. vanilla

• Dash salt

• 1 cup of nuts or other add-in (optional)

Directions

• In a medium glass mixing bowl or other microwave safe dish, combine chips and milk; microwave on high for 2 min.

• Remove from the microwave and stir until smooth. If unmelted chips remain you can microwave again in 30 second increments. Be careful not to overcook as that can lead to lumps of condensed milk.

• Stir in the rest of your ingredients.

• Line a small pan or baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper and pour fudge into the prepared pan, smooth fudge out as thick as you wish the pieces to be.

• Chill 1-2 hours or until firm.

• Remove from the pan, carefully peel away parchment or waxed paper and slice into pieces and enjoy!

_1671018189.Fudge.png

[image consists of a the stages of making the fudge]

Don’t forget to store your fudge in the fridge! (If you can resist eating it all that is!)

So, the debate begins: Do you like nuts in your fudge? Maybe something else?
Will you try your hand at this sweet treat? Maybe be adventurous and use some 'chocolate mint' chips?

MistyMagic December 14th, 2022

@EmotionsListener raisns and maybe some rum? That recipe looks way too easy! thanks for sharing!

EmotionsListener OP December 15th, 2022

@MistyMagic

It is a dangerously easy recipe for sure! 😈

EmbStitcher33 December 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Oh this looks yummy. Going to try this one!! Thank you!!

@EmbStitcher33

I hope it turns out great for you too!

SleepyShyCat December 16th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Oooo this looks so good 😋 you already know I'm making some asap!!

@SleepyShyCat

Hard to resist when it's so simple to make right? 😸

EmotionsListener OP December 15th, 2022

🎶…On the fourth day of hobby-mas my creativity made four greeting cards!

This time of year if you like to spread holiday cheer, you may give cards to those you hold dear. To personalize your cards you can make them from scratch, or even add embellishments to a store bought card. You can even recycle old cards you’ve received using them as materials to reimagine a whole new card!

_1671127953.Greeting Cards.png

[Image consists of a series of different styles of greeting cards]

While traditional folded cards may be your go to, a simple poem or phrase can quickly make a one sided card, photos of your family or pets can also be great!

_1671127981.christmas 2021.png

[Image consists of a pet photo greeting card reading “Merry Christmas!”]

Need more inspiration? Check out this post from World Card Making Day!

Do you give or get greeting cards this time of year? What style are your favourite to give or receive?