Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trolling Immunity Oath

Heather June 8th, 2016

If you spend enough time in the support chat rooms (or anywhere on the internet for that matter!) it is quite possible that you will encounter someone or other engaging in trolling behaviours. Should this happen to you, first and foremost please know its not your fault. The other person has the problem. Often, they just get a kick out of upsetting or aggravating another person, but it only works if we rise to take the bait.

There are certain things we can do as a community to build more immunity against those individuals who choose to cause distress or annoyance to others, and many of you are doing a great job at it already! The key thing to remember is that without an audience reacting to their comments and remarks, the person trolling becomes quite powerless. Its just no fun yelling at someone who doesnt seem to notice! This isnt to say the burden is entirely on you, but that we can work together to become more immune to trolling and help to protect one another. The other important part to this is to use the mute/report button to report any harmful/trolling behaviour you witness. This helps community managers to identify and remove those individuals.

The process when you encounter trolling behaviour should look like this:

⛔️ Stop engaging ---> 🔇 Mute the troublecauser ---> 📝 Report via mute/report button.

If youd like to be part of this initiative to take a stand against trolling, please carefully read the following oath and then post it in this thread with your own username/current date. You will receive an Group Chat Antibody badge for doing so (coming soon!). You can simply copy and paste the oath, but its more meaningful if you type it out. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, XX, pledge :

To follow the chat room rules and lead by example at all times.

To not interact directly with anyone engaging in hurtful behaviours in the support room and encourage others to follow my lead.

To report harmful behaviours whenever I see them in the support room, whether they be directed at myself or a fellow member.

To understand that muting and ignoring are my most powerful weapons against those who aim to cause distress and harm, and to remind others of the same.

To use my mute button whenever necessary, to disempower those who aim to cause harm, and to protect myself.

To respect other users' decision to mute, and never disrespect their boundaries by relaying messages.

Signed: [your username]

DD/MM/YYYY

rebel11 June 11th, 2016

@heather

Signed.

In reality the 'Trolling' is being carried out by a handful of individuals. This is just in one room. Someone who has been 'banned' from the site, wrongly in my opinion, has 3/4 copycats posting in their style. They are 'very pale imitations' indeed. Everyone who posts in the Chatrooms has a very unique style. The person who has been banned gets a daily mention by different individuals in the Chatrooms, when they are not even on the site.

This is a recent 'classic' line from a serial abuser of the Guidelines/Rules, 'they must of banned me when I was sleeping'.

JBlue June 11th, 2016

@Heather One missing element: Respecting others' decision to mute. What I frequently see happening is A mutes B, and when B realizes this has happened, B asks other people in the room to tell A various things. With a lot of people in the room, or people sympathetic to B present, the result is that A still winds up being forced to hear from B.

So I think a part of this pledge should also include respecting others' choices not to engage by agreeing not to relay messages on behalf of others (no matter how innocent or well-meaning they may appear).

Heather OP June 12th, 2016

@JBlue - That's a great point! Adding it in :)

Yoshimitsu June 13th, 2016

I agree with this one wholehearted. I have an individual who constantly does this and it irritates me to no end.

ImFinallyFree June 11th, 2016

I fully support this pledge to end trolling and harmful and hurtful behavior.

-ImFinallyFree

Jessicka June 12th, 2016

I, Jess, pledge;

To not interact directly with anyone engaging in hurtful behaviours in the support room and encourage others to follow my lead.

To report harmful behaviours whenever I see them in the support room, whether they be directed at myself or a fellow member.

To understand that muting and ignoring are my most powerful weapons against those who aim to cause distress and harm, and to remind others of the same.

To use my mute button whenever necessary, to disempower those who aim to cause harm, and to protect myself.

To respect other users' decision to mute, and never disrespect their boundaries by relaying messages.

Signed: Jessicka

11/06/2016

June 12th, 2016

I, redkite4725, pledge :

Signed: redkite4725

11/06/2016

Celaeno June 12th, 2016

I, Celaeno, pledge :

- to follow the chat room rules and lead by example at all times;

- to not interact directly with anyone engaging in hurtful behaviours in the support room and encourage others to follow my lead;

- to report harmful behaviours whenever I see them in the support room, whether they be directed at myself or a fellow member;

- to understand that muting and ignoring are my most powerful weapons against those who aim to cause distress and harm, and to remind others of the same;

- to use my mute button whenever necessary, to disempower those who aim to cause harm, and to protect myself;

- to respect other users' decision to mute, and never disrespect their boundaries by relaying messages.

Signed: Celaeno

12/06/2016

Cranberry6511 June 12th, 2016

I admin a large group on FB that is an advocacy and education group. We deal with trolls also. My favorite expression is "don't feed the trolls". Don't give them an audience and don't walk into their traps. Be the stronger voice and lead the way on the higher road.

kemoctezumaso June 13th, 2016

I, Kemoctezumaso, pledge :

Signed: Kemoctezumaso

12/June/2016

ladylazarus1971 June 13th, 2016

I, ladylazarus1971, pledge :

Signed:

ladylazarus1971

06/13/2016

Thank you for a positive way to reinforce for all members the best ways to support our community against "trolling" behaviors. <3

wearelost444 June 13th, 2016

We, wearelost444 pledge:

To follow the chatroom rules and lead by example at all times.

To not interact directly with anyone engaging and hurtful behaviors in the support room and encourage others to follow our lead.

To report harmful behaviours whenever we see them in the support room, whether they be directed at ourselves or a fellow member.

To understand that muting and ignoring are our most powerful weapons against those who aim to cause distress and harm, and to remind others of the same.

To use our mute button whenever necessary, to disempower those who aim to cause harm, and to protect ourselves.

Signed: wearelost444 /(Host)Monika.

mellotune June 13th, 2016

I, mello, pledge :

To not interact directly with anyone engaging in hurtful behavior in the support room and encourage others to follow my lead.

To report harmful behavior whenever I see them in the support room, whether they be directed at myself or a fellow member.

To understand that muting and ignoring are my most powerful tools (I don't like the word "weapons") against those who aim to cause distress and harm, and to remind others of the same.

Signed: mellotune

06/13/2016

abduane June 13th, 2016

I, abduane, pledge :

Signed: abduane

June 13, 2016

SarahJJ June 14th, 2016

@Heather

I, Sarah JJ, pledge :

Signed: Sarah JJ

14/06/2016

blueStrings9695 June 14th, 2016

I, XX, pledge :

Signed: blueStrings9695

14/06/2016

inneryu July 3rd, 2016

@Heather

I, Neru, pledge :

Signed: Inneryu.

July 4th, 2016.

thelonesomerider July 4th, 2016

@Heather

I, Caspar, pledge;

Signed: @thelonesomerider

04/07/16

July 4th, 2016

I, alexlove, pledge :

Signed: alexlove

Date: 04/07/2016

Hellelujahs July 6th, 2016

I, Hellelujahs, pledge :

Signed: Hellelujahs

7/6/16

NobleCat July 7th, 2016

I, NobleCat, pledge :

Signed: NobleCat

07/07/2016

BrightRedFlower2322 July 8th, 2016

I BrightRedFlower pledge

To not interact directly with anyone engaging in hurtful behaviours in the support room and encourage others to follow my lead

To report harmful behaviours whenever I see them in the support room, whether they be directed at myself or a fellow member

To understand that muting and ignoring are my most powerful weapons against those who aim to cause distress and harm, and to remind others of the same

To use my mute button whenever necessary, to disempower those who aim to cause harm, and to protect myself

To respect other users' decision to mute, and never disrespect their boundaries by relaying messages

BrightRedFlower

8-7-16

Hopeful0001 July 25th, 2016

I agree to this oath. :)

TheBen July 29th, 2016

I, FruityVision, pledge :

Signed: FruityVision

29/07/2016

Glitterybaby August 2nd, 2016

I, Glitterybaby, pledge :

Signed: Gitterybaby

2/08/2016

7CupsCyborgCenter August 7th, 2016

I, 7CupsCyborgCenter Extermination Unit 103, Pledge:

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before 7CUP's, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my virtual society. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is 7CUP's and there is no enemy, but peace and Social Justice for all lawful citizens!

Signed: EXS-Unit 103

7/08/2016

PositiveMinds August 11th, 2016

I, PositiveMinds, pledge :

Signed, PositiveMinds

11/08/2016

SmileDandilion August 24th, 2016

I, SmileDandilion, pledge :

signed : SmileDandilion

25/8/2016

Kait September 6th, 2016

I, Kait, pledge :

Signed: Kait

09/06/2016

OctoberIvy September 10th, 2016

I, OctoberIvy, pledge :

Signed: OctoberIvy

BlakeMac April 5th, 2017

I, Blakemac, pledge :

Signed: BlakeMac

04/05/2017

Azurentz May 1st, 2017

I, Azurentz, pledge :

Signed: Azurentz

01/05/2017

reconnect May 11th, 2017

I, Syzygy0512, pledge :

Signed: Syzygy0512

11/05//17

May 12th, 2017

I, PrincessMidna, pledge :

Signed: PrincessMidna

12/05/2017

May 18th, 2017

I, FuturePsychologist2, pledge :

Signed: FuturePsychologist2

Date: 18/05/2017

May 23rd, 2017

I, Free, pledge :

Signed: Tryingtobefree98

5/23/2017

River May 31st, 2017

I, Pureriver55, pledge :

Signed: Pureriver55

31/05/2017

BlakeMac June 26th, 2017

I, Blakemac, pledge :

Signed: NobleCat

06/25/2017 I, Blakemac, pledge :

Signed: Blakemac

06/25/2017

euphonic July 31st, 2017

I, Euphonic, pledge:

Signed: Euphonic

01/08/2017

euphonic July 31st, 2017

And I pledge to respect other users' decision to mute, and never disrespect their boundaries by relaying messages.