Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Steps of Growth as a Listener!!

ASilentObserver February 3rd, 2020

Hello Listener Team,

You are a key contributor to 7Cups. You provide emotional support and help our members experiencing tough times by listening to them with compassion and care. You make them feel heard. You make them feel encouraged and cared for. You give them a ray of hope and a new wave of energy to work on their challenges.

That reflects how your listening skills impact others everywhere. As listening is a skill, it always needs to be honed and improved to provide quality listening.

Speaking of improvement and honing listening skills, I am sharing 4 key steps that can prove helpful to grow as a listener. Whether you are a new listener or a year old listener, if you haven't tried these steps yet, please do so! They are all designed to assist you!

**All the texts in blue are hyperlinked and clickable!!

yes Connect with a Listener Coach- You can always sign up to connect with a Listener Coach to get help and support. If you are a new listener and feeling nervous or confused about how to get started, our listener coaches can be your first step to figure it out. Listener coaches can help you with

enlightenedImprove your listening skills.

enlightenedAddress the challenges you might be facing during listening

enlightenedIf you are unsure about the challenges and what you need to improve upon, take a mock chat

enlightenedAny other questions related to listeners resources or sites. Even if in some cases, they wont know the answer, they will redirect you to the person who could provide the right information to you.

enlightenedAlso, you can check our General information about the listener coaching team post.

yesTake Active Listening Tests- They are designed to test your listening skills and knowledge of your listener role. It is okay if you didnt clear the test, you can reach out to the leaders to get feedback on what went wrong and how you could improve. If passed, you will be the holder of shiny badges reflecting your listening skills. We have 4 AL tests that you could take to test your knowledge.

enlightenedActive Listening Test 1 - Basic

enlightenedActive Listening Test 2- Questions

enlightenedActive Listening Test 3- In-Depth

enlightenedActive Listening Test 4- Self-Care & Refresher

enlightenedAlso, read what you should know about AL Tests.

yes Connect & Interact in Listener Support (LSR) or Teen Listeners (TL) Rooms- If you have a question about listening, resources, about 7Cups, need help with a chat or know your fellow listeners, always feel free to come and join us in Listener Support Room (Adult) and Teen Listeners (Teens).

enlightenedReceive ongoing chat support, if stuck during a 1-1 chat with a member

enlightenedReceive peer support if not feeling good after a difficult chat with a member

enlightenedReceive information about various resources that could help you to listen and navigate the site better.

enlightenedGet to know your peers and fellow listeners and have some good chat with them when not supporting members.

enlightenedHere is a resource for you to check - Chat Support FAQs

yes Become a Verified Listener - It is our community's stamp of approval for members. When a member connects with a listener who has the verified listener badge, they will know they are speaking to a qualified, approved listener.

enlightenedAlso opens the door of leadership opportunities

enlightenedReceive feedback on your active listening and resources to improve them.

enlightenedEarn a shiny badge reflecting your good listening skills.

enlightenedHave more questions, check frequently asked questions.

If you are wondering which step to take first, you can do these steps in any order you want. Learning has no boundaries. Take it at your own pace.

Also, if you like participating and interacting in chat rooms and want to extend support to our community, please check out these chatroom leadership opportunities.

All the best!

We look forward to seeing you grow with us.

(Sunisshiningandsoareyou removed outdated link, and updated with the current information regarding LC team, 9/25/22)

JennofBoston May 14th, 2020

@ASilentObserver thanx for all of the advice 😊

ASilentObserver OP February 3rd, 2020

@heather225 @Hope @Mel @Power @BrilliantTurtle89 @Amy @MistyMagic

AveryLove February 3rd, 2020

@ASilentObserver this is so great and important! thank you for sharing this with us, i am sure its gonna be helpful for a lot of listeners! heart

wizeakre February 3rd, 2020

@ASilentObserver

Wow, this is some really great information. Thank you for putting it all together. I really appreciate all the work and communication you have been offering the community, Obs.

Hope February 3rd, 2020

@ASilentObserver

exciting opportunities! Thank you for creating this post.

lyricalAngel70 February 3rd, 2020

@ASilentObserver

Thank you so much! Very helpful

MistyMagic February 3rd, 2020

@ASilentObserver Thanks for posting this, it will help lots of listeners!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

MelG919 March 13th, 2020

@ASilentObserver thank you so much for this!

crystalclearnow March 16th, 2020

This is a great post! Thank you.

fearlessWriter78 July 16th, 2020

@ASilentObserver @Hope @Tazzie

Hi Observer and Hope (and I messaged this to Tazzie too) - not sure if you can help me here but perhaps you can guide me a bit? In this thread: https://www.7cups.com/forum/GroupSupport_168/RoomSupporter_1769/MemberRoomSupportersRequirementsandApplication_186045/

Myself and another member are struggling to gain chat points in order to earn the Wise One badge. My number has stayed the same no matter how many chats I take part in. It's at 135 and only went up 2 points within the past month or longer. I'd like to reach 500 points to apply for the Member Room Supporter role but looks like it's never going to reach there. :( Can you please advise on this? The other member and I have both contacted Support & Feedback about this but have never heard back. Thanks.

fearlessWriter78 July 16th, 2020

And to add I contacted Support months ago and have never heard back. :(

October 26th, 2020

@ASilentObserver

I absolutely love this post! So much useful inspiring information for me to try as a listener and help others as best as I can! Thank you for sharing with us!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 13th, 2022

bump-reminder.gif