Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Holiday Kindness!

Hope December 25th, 2019

Hi everyone! Happy Holidays! Holidays can be quite cheery and festive however we all know they can carry some stress and for some, the holiday season can be particularly difficult. This is the season of giving and most of us go above and beyond to share our blessings with our family. With just a little more effort we can extend this kindness to our neighbours (offline or online)

This post is based on 7 Cups Founder @GlenMs vision of extending kindness to our neighbours. This is a reminder to show some kindness to your neighbours on this holiday season. It doesnt have to be an expensive gift or an elaborate dinner with them but simple things like a thank you note or genuine how are you really doing? can go a long way.

Offline ~ Please take a few minutes out of your busy day and show some kindness to a neighbour, acquittance or a friend.

Ideas:

Sharing your hot meal with someone who may not have it

Asking your neighbours how they are really doing

Checking in with friends who have may find the holidays challenging

Online ~ Send a kind message to anyone struggling this holiday season

🎁 Anyone who takes part in this kindness during the holidays initiative will get the Kindness challenge badge. Please share with us what act of kindness you did today

lyricalAngel70 December 25th, 2019

I shared my meal with my cousin and feasted her with her favorite burger along with some chocolates yesterday when she had visited me.

I texted my bestie to know about his health.

I sent a message to my pal friend to wish her more prosperity this Christmas. 🎅

The idea was to most importantly know about her depressed state of mind. And I was glad to acknowledge that she's absolutely fine and enjoying herself while celebrating Christmas with her family members.

pamharley003 December 30th, 2019

@lyricalAngel70

Sounded like you enjoyed your time with love ones

lyricalAngel70 December 31st, 2019

@pamharley003

Yes, I did. Thanks for asking.❤

How about ya?

pamharley003 December 31st, 2019

@lyricalAngel70

I spent it at home with a neighbor next door and his Mom My boyfriend and I always spend time with them.

@pamharley003

Hey, that's amazing!❤

What about your family? Did you manage to meet them all on Christmas Eve?

@lyricalAngel70

Our familes are all of the united States but we did speak over the phone with each of them.

@pamharley003

I see, well that's fantastic. Wish you a very happy new year. ❤

Emirson2018 December 25th, 2019

I went caroling to an old folks home last night and they loved it! I've been pretty frustrated with myself lately so it was great to feel like a decent person for once

GlenM December 26th, 2019

@Emirson2018 love this!

@Emirson2018

I use to do that growing up miss those times

warmheartedFarm7120 December 25th, 2019

I played cards with my little brother and used my listener account to send a positive and supportive message to a long-term member.

SparkyGizmo December 25th, 2019

@Hope

Well, the thing of it is, is that irl, is real! I am most hopeful of receiving the "kindness badge" for my contribution today. And even if it's for giving someone a chuckle that comes along next and see's this post. Sometimes, truth is really stranger than fiction. So here goes:

It seems as if I get lots of unwelcome gifts in my yard all year long. I live in a nice little community, I promise. And we do have rules here that govern peoples behaviors. Some choose to ignore them. I have to clean up dog "waste" in my yard all of the time that does not belong to my pet. I just have to if I want to provide a safe environment for my pet and family members. I clean up after my pet each and every time. Believe it or not, where I live, there is a $500 fine for not cleaning up after your pet if the authorities are called.

I have been patient and kind with other pet owners that leave their gifts when caught in the act. I have nicely reminded them of the community rules and fines that could potentially happen but that I really don't want to be "that person". So, I have asked them when caught to come back and clean up after their pet and I'm happy to move forward and to please not do it again, as it is me that is having to pick up their pets excrement. Seems like a hard way to live if you ask me, cleaning up every bodies stuff, being on poop patrol.

Things have been going really well around here! Except for what appeared to be one pet owner with a really small pet that we just seems to go unnoticed.

Check it....Christmas morning, looking out my window, I see a woman from my neighborhood that always seems to behave a little oddly and always has a young child that is in her care. Maybe the grandmother that lives with the extended family? She does not speak English apparently. I see her pull down the young childs pants and hold her in a certain way so that a "deposit" can be made in my yard. Legs and feet to chest, dangling in the air. The deed is done, pulls up the childs pants and proceeded to move along.

I went outside, wished the woman a Merry Christmas, she did not understand, walked past her and looked at the ground at our Christmas gift. I pointed at the area, asked if she let the child go to the bathroom? She looked at me, while I looked at our "gift". All eyes staring at the gift.

She spoke in a language I did not understand, took the child and ran off. Well, at least I know who is doing this to our yard now! My gift to her was walking away, not calling the authorities on Christmas morning to finally report what may be our biggest offender. Could you imagine? I remember the reason for the season! smiley Today, I clean up human excrement once again! If you celebrate it, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

The day is young, I helped out in the LSR. Maybe more good deeds I can accomplish before the sun sets on me! "Peace on Earth and good will to men". *hugs* heart

Karrot December 25th, 2019

Acts of kindness I did today is I went to the local firestation and dropped off most of what I got to give to kida and teens that could not recieve things for christmas. I also took my dog and grandmother dog for a walk, made tea for everyone in the house. I decided to go out of my way and clean the entire house before everyone woke up too. I am doing more small things throught the day but those are a few. Online I shared some kind words to individuals letting them know that I appreciate them and shared a quote to them and wished them a safe happy holidays and opened my inbox if they needed me throughout the holidays because I know for some individuals this can be very difficult for them. Peeksd and helped out in support thread too

SparkyGizmo December 25th, 2019

@Karrot

Pretty darn amazing if you ask me! I was a busy one myself all day, and more work for me to come. Next year, I want to borrow @Karrot and have you to come to my house! hahasmileyheart I'll feed you well and give you *hugs*heart

Karrot December 27th, 2019

@SparkyGizmo oooo vacation to gizzzzys house 😳😯😯😯 is there cookies

SparkyGizmo December 27th, 2019

@Karrot

For you, I'll make 14 different varieties of cookie, anything you want! @Karrot knows how to "bring the heat and bring the noise!"heart

Karrot December 27th, 2019

@SparkyGizmo

LOL

pamharley003 December 30th, 2019

@Karrot

That was so thoughtful of you to do that. I also gave to a toy run this year called toy's for tots. it is an annual ride I do each december. Motorcycles from all over Florida participate bringing unwrapped toys. We have a homeless family near my shop the workers and I offered them to come to the shop on christmas eve, we all made something to eat and gave their children clothes and toys.

December 25th, 2019

@Hope My folks are really kind hearted therefore each holiday season my family collects gifts from the members including their own gifts and offer them to a nearby care home. This year I had saved some extra money for the gifts and contributed the most..it isn't much of a thing but seeing the elders happy was the best thing that happened today.

Meowsicle December 26th, 2019

We invited a group of church members to our house today for the feast.

@Did1and1dandan nice!

December 26th, 2019

I rang up all my friends, it's been quite some time since we spoke. It's been a bust life for all of us and we eventually only texted no and then. One of my friends were sad Coz this Christmas they could not be home. I invited her home for hanging out so she did not feel left out.

I also sent warm Christmas greetings to my lovely people here as well.

Merry Christmas everyone

@Magicallykermit58 way to look out!

December 26th, 2019

@GlenM thank you

rosi3posi3 December 26th, 2019

I used a lot of my personal money to get gifts for those around me, asking for nothing in return. Giving things just makes me so happy! I'm also getting kind of out of my comfort zone to try and sped more time with family this holiday season :)

SensibleSensitivity December 27th, 2019

@rosi3posi3

Lovely! I have been slowly learning to do the same thing as well: I am learning to give gifts, and take time for people. And practicing small talk skills! It has been lovely this holidays.

rosi3posi3 December 27th, 2019

@SensibleSensitivity That's great! Small talk has always been kind of hard for me too, but I'm glad you had a good holidays smileysmileysmiley

Tranquility247 December 26th, 2019

This post inspired me to do a big act of kindness this afternoon. So my family is really big on matching pajamas for Christmas. Its been a holiday tradition for years in my family. This year I decided to up the ante and actually got matching socks for all the close members of my family. It was at least 20 pairs of socks. I saw a post online this morning saying how children need warming clothing at one of the local centers. The idea spurred in my mind to donate the socks to there but that would leave me without any presents this morning. So when the time came for everyone to open my gift I sat the box out and explained the situation. I was surprised that everyone else was so willing and eager to do it. After we finished our morning Christmas we went down to the shelter and donated them. The woman at the counter was so grateful because apparently everyone donates toys, etc but no one rarely drops off clothes. She explains how some kids in the program only have 2-3 pairs alone and now they'd get a decked-out Christmas style pair. It was so heartwarming experience. 10/10 would do it again.

Izzyhappybubbles December 26th, 2019

@Hope

I saw a homeless person going to sleep in the rain tonight. I went home, grabbed a heavy blanket and my leftovers from dinner and my mom drove me over to give it to him. We exchanged a few words. Looked like he was around 20 :(

December 26th, 2019

I donated money to victems of war

GettingUp December 26th, 2019

My boyfriend hates christmas. He never experienced opening presents and the love and connection to family. His christmas were pretty awful, to be honest.

So we are going to have our own different christmas on the 29th of Dec. I'm already looking forward to that! :)

AddictedTealover98 December 26th, 2019

I met up with a friend that i havent seen in a long time. >x< Celebrating with the fam and all! Though my family dont particularly celebrate chrismas but we take over the holidays

December 26th, 2019

I checked in on a couple of friends who I know are struggling. I am also doing my best to keep supporting people here on the forums.

pamharley003 December 26th, 2019

Asking your neighbours how they are really doing -

I have a next door neighbor who is caring for his mother. I invited them over yesterday for christmas dinner. Sonny and i cooked American and Spanish meals to celebrate how we do Christmas in our country. Sonny is from Puerto Rico and grew up in New York like my boyfriend and I have,His Mother share in broken english how she would spend Christmas and what their culture did in Puerto Rico.

We have been neighbors for 7 years and always invite each other over for family functions.

CaringBrit December 26th, 2019

@Hope im going to volunteer some time to reply on the holiday support thread

azuladragon34 December 26th, 2019

@Hope

I helped my mother organise her appointments and spell words

I talked with a friend going through some tough family challenges and spent some time / dinner talking with a person that doesn't have a lot of family or friends nearby. Thank you @hope for posting this!

December 26th, 2019

I was there for a friend that need. Me after getting hurt reallly bad.

otacon December 26th, 2019

@Hope

I calmed my friend who was having a panic attack, chopped up leftover christmas meats for the stray cats in my area, and helped my coworker who was having a rough time by finding a quiet place for them, staying behind to listen to their concerns/thoughts.

SparkyGizmo December 26th, 2019

I baked blue berry muffins and took them to a few of the neighbors in my area. They loved them! heart