Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Binge Eating Disorder ( Awareness)

Hope December 14th, 2016

Hey everyone, in this post I would like to raise awareness regarding a very common yet underlooked Eating Disorder known as Binge Eating order (BED).

What is a Binge Eating Disorder?

A Binge-Eating Disorder is a type of Eating Disorder, Binge-eating disorder is a serious eating disorder in which you frequently consume unusually large amounts of food and feel unable to stop eating. Almost everyone overeats on occasion, such as having seconds or thirds of a holiday meal. But for some people, excessive overeating that feels out of control and becomes a regular occurrence crosses the line to binge-eating disorder.When you have binge-eating disorder, you may be embarrassed about overeating and vow to stop. But you feel such a compulsion that you can't resist the urges and continue binge eating.

What are the symptoms of Binge Eating Disorder?

Behavioral symptoms

Inability to stop eating or control what youre eating

Rapidly eating large amounts of food

Eating even when you're full

Hiding or stockpiling food to eat later in secret

Eating normally around others, but gorging when youre alone

Eating continuously throughout the day, with no planned mealtimes

Emotional symptoms

Feeling stress or tension that is only relieved by eating

Embarrassment over how much youre eating

Feeling numb while bingeing—like youre not really there or youre on auto-pilot.

Never feeling satisfied, no matter how much you eat

Feeling guilty, disgusted, or depressed after overeating

Desperation to control weight and eating habits

What factors can influence a Binge Eating Disorder?

Factors that can increase your risk of developing binge-eating disorder include:

- Family history. You're much more likely to have an eating disorder if your parents or siblings have (or had) an eating disorder. This may indicate that inherited genes increase the risk of developing an eating disorder.

-Psychological issues. Most people who have binge-eating disorder feel negative about themselves and their skills and accomplishments. Triggers for bingeing can include stress, poor body self-image, food and boredom.

- Dieting. Many people with binge-eating disorder have a history of dieting — some have dieted to excess dating back to childhood. Dieting or restricting calories during the day may trigger an urge to binge eat, especially if you have low self-esteem and symptoms of depression.

-Your age. Although people of any age can have binge-eating disorder, it often begins in the late teens or early 20s.

Tips for helping a person with Binge Eating Disorder

-Encourage him or her to seek help. The longer an eating disorder remains undiagnosed and untreated, the more difficult it will be to overcome, so urge your loved one to get treatment.

-Be supportive. Try to listen without judgment and make sure the person knows you care. If your loved one slips up on the road to recovery, remind them that it doesnt mean they cant quit binge eating for good.

-Avoid lectures or guilt trips. Binge eaters feel bad enough about themselves and their behaviour already. Lecturing, getting upset, or issuing ultimatums to a binge eater will only increase stress and make the situation worse. Instead, make it clear that you care about the persons health and happiness and youll continue to be there.

-Set a good example by eating healthily, exercising, and managing stress without food. Dont make negative comments about your own body or anyone elses.

Now that I have explained the Eating Disorder, its symptoms and factors that can influence it, let's have a discussion below on it by answering the questions given below:

1)What does your Binge Eating Disorder look like?

2)When did you develop Binge Eating Disorder?

3)What factors might have influenced your Binge Eating Disorder?

4)How does your Binge Eating Disorder affects your mental health?

5)Have you found any coping techniques that might have helped you regarding this?

Thank you all for reading, Please answer the questions given above by replying to the forum post

Some Helpful links:

-Binge eating support groups:

Overeaters Anonymous

Eating Disorders Anonymous

International Eating Disorder Support

Effective Coping Skills: Eating Disorder

Eating Disorder, Self Help Guide

Hope OP December 14th, 2016

@Laura , @Amelia , @Dilion , @Heather , @MissZ, @Jace , @Power , @Anomalia , @Lyra ,@PassionatePeyton , @gigantWillow93 , @Always25 , @sarcasticalien , @TheSpiritGuardianOri , @tranquilForever68 , @Halogen , @LonelyAngels , @Belle_ , @KRN , @PuppyLove13 , @ForeverKeepRising , @tazcares , @UditJ , @Greylight , @Eunoia , @PoliteOcean @SnowsOfYesteryear @RedWolfAK @Isaac

Tazzie December 14th, 2016

This was quite elaborative and well-structured. Well done! :)

Hope OP December 14th, 2016

@tazcares

Thank you for reading smiley

Tazzie December 15th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

Thank you for doing this! smiley

MayBlue December 14th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

1.) I continue to eat when depressed or bored.

2.) It started becoming more prominent a few years ago when I became depressed.

3.) Depression. I also grew up in the Southwest where food means a lot.

4.) I've been in a downward spiral for a few years now. I have self-image and esteem issues.

5.) No, but I'd like to.

Hope OP December 15th, 2016

@MayBlue

May , Thank You for reading , many people with this tend to eat when depressed , for you it started quite a while ago it seems , i am sorry to hear that you are in a downward spiral , i hope you are able to overcome it soons , for coping tricks , i suggets checking the links i provided at the end of the post as helpful resources

MayBlue December 17th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

I really appreciate this.

PuppyLove13 December 14th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope Thank you for posting such a detailed and informative thread <3 I could relate to it all too well :) thank you <3

1)What does your Binge Eating Disorder look like ?

I ate all day everyday though it made me feel sick.

2)When did you develop Binge Eating Disorder ?

About a year ago when my depression set in and I felt that I should atleast be able to eat when and as I please.

Depression and a cheating boyfriend.

I felt guilty, worthless, ugly, like a slob all the time.. Made the depression worse.

5)Have you found any coping techniques that might have helped you regarding this?

It was difficult so the first thing I did was I stopped the midnight binges as those are the worst and then I slowly reduced the amount of food I had but I didn't care about it being healthy or unhealthy.. Has helped a lot!

@PuppyLove13

your welcome , Thank you for reading , what you are describing is a very common form of binge eating disorder , i am sure many of us can relate , but that doesnot mean that its easy to live with as you described it can cause much mental harm in addition to physical affects , i liked how you mentioned "guilt" , people suffering froom this often feel guilty , i am glad you were able to find a way that helped smiley

Carrotcakefan December 14th, 2016

It is great to see awareness about this very misunderstood condition.

@Carrotcakefan

Thank You for reading , i am glad that you liked it

Yunqi December 14th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

I couldn't stop eating, even if I felt full and sick.

About a year ago.

Depression, loneliness, boredom and poor self-esteem.

I felt worthless, unbalanced and incapable of making real commitments.

I'm actually still struggling with binge eating and once in a while I still fall back into it. Nonetheless, I've found out that practicing a sport is a big help. In my case, include running into my routine was the best choice I could ever have made. It really boosts your self-confidence.

@Yunqi

Thank you for reading and taking the time to share , from what you described , it is common to feel guilt that often leads to feeling of worthlessness , when we are not able to control what can seem to be a minor thing for people who don't struggle with it , it can really affect our self image , i am glad that you found practicing sports of help , exercise can be a good coping strategy

MapleSyyrup December 14th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope Thank you for this thread <3

When every I'm home I'm always constatly munching on something. I can never do my school work ot study without a snack on my side. I'm constatly eating even after I feel full/sick of eating. Food is my source of comfort.

For a couple months now. Espically when school gets stressful.

When I was younger I used to be able to eat whatever and not put on any wieght. I never learn how to control myself from eating since I never have needed to.

I'm constatly insecure about my weight. I've found my self being more depressed now adays..

Chewing gum kinda helps...make me feel as if I'm eating something but now really..

@MapleSyyrup

Thank you for reading and taking the time to answer , its appreciated , i can see that your disorder is routing from stress , and you deal with the stress by using food as a comfort , it can be hard to deal with this as it often gives us the feelings of guilt , low selfesteem and body image issues can also be a result of it , cewing gum can be a good coping strategy , i suggets mint gum as mint suppresses appetite , but it should be kept in mind that everything is good in moderation , chewing gum in an excess amount can cause bloating

MapleSyyrup December 16th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope Thank you for readin my post and also for the advice <3

Hope OP December 16th, 2016

@MapleSyyrup

Your welcome smiley

ChinaRose December 15th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

Mostly while depressed, I eat whatever I can get my hands on.

When I was a teenager.

Depression and my own insecurities about my weight.

I swing back and forth between BED and other eating disorders, always feeling guilty, whether I eat or not.

I try to drink flavored coffee or tea when I feel like binging, and that helps sometimes.

@MistyMountainHope

Thank you for taking the time to share , from what you shared i am seeing that your BED is routed from depression and binge eating causes guilt in you which leads to self esteem and further mental stress , you have been struggling for quite long , i am sorry that you are going through this but i am really glad that you have found something that has helped

Aashilights December 15th, 2016

I started binging when I was a kid. i never realized at that time that I was depending on food. Too much tension in home. And didn't know how to express my feelings. So I swallow those feelings with my food and hence became comfort food for me.

After so many years, still find it hard to deal with. Whenever I am tensed I end up eating even when I am full. At that time all I want to junk. Sometimes when I try not to eat, I feel so much anxious. It feels like a minor panic attack. I face this problem especially at night. After having my dinner. I realized that it is really important to be calm and relax in order to stop emotional eating. I feel that it's not genetic but it's what we see our parents doing.

I sometimes feel so depressed. Being angry with myself for having no control. Being sad with myself for finding no solution. And then the lack of confidence

To cope up I try to ask myself what I am anxious about and tell myself that there is no need to be anxious. i try to tell myself what is the worst that can happen and I can handle it. So I try to relax then. Not easy though. I also try to keep check when I feel the craving and keep dry fruits at home. They always help. I think its also be about having patience with ourselves. It is a journey. Not a single day process. We have to be willing to love ourselves and be patient with ourselves. Every time I fail I try to do it again.

Also the habit of eating slowly and being present in the moment is essential. That always help.

@Aashilights

Thank you for taking the time to read the post and to share your story , from what you shared i am seeing that it started early for you with the ame route as many described above and that is mental stress , you use food as a comfort like many of us , cause it helps block the stress for a bit , it can certainly cause self esteem issues and leads to further depression , i am glad that practicing mindfullness is helping you

talkingflowers December 15th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope thank you for this! i appreciate the amount of detail.

1. Buying a lot of junk food (or receiving it as a present), hiding it in my room, eating it quickly, hiding wrappers, and disposing of rubbish when I'm home alone by trying to put it at the bottom of the bin.

2. I think 2014, maybe late 2013. (start of uni/finishing high school)

3. Poor body image, stress, family problems, and my mother doesn't eat a lot, so I sometimes feel weird about food/eating.

4. It makes me even more stressed and upset, I shut down and try to isolate myself, and I feel physically ill and lethargic.

5. Not yet.

@talkingflowers

Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions , what i am seeing is that you consumed a lot of junk food but you are not proud of it therefore you tried to hid any proof of it , a part of you can't help it while on the other hand you can't help but eat such foods , so i think a major life change influenced it , as for many BED has a negative mental affect on you as well , it may feel good to eat foods that are high in fat and sugar , they give you a endorphin rush but a downwards spiral afterwards , about the coping techniques , try reading the replies to this post you might like a idea

ForeverKeepRising December 15th, 2016

I'm eating a chocolate muffin for breakfast, as I do most mornings. Also, I will often only have one meal a day (lunch) and just graze on chocolate in the evening. I'll eat chocolate all the time, at any time of day, in any circumstances, even when I'm too sick to stomach regular food. I will also eat food I know will make me sick, and have in the past eaten food knowing it would give me severe gastro intestinal pain within a couple of hours. I generally eat alone in my room and will hide my hoardes of junk food.

Soon as I got my first job 12 years ago, and had the money and power to buy whatever food I wanted whenever I wanted.

Insecurity, anxiety, depression, the need for instant gratification and comfort and a false sense of 'control', i.e. the power to sate my desire to eat by simply buying what I want and eating it.

My weight causes insecurity and makes me unhappy. Which makes me eat. The usual vicious cycle.

Not in 12 years, anyway. Maybe I will eventually.

@ForeverKeepRising

Thank you for sharing your experience and reading the post. From what you shared i am seeing that you have an addiction to chocolate. You eat regardless of the fact that it might hurt you as you mentioned the " gastro intestinal pain." You also hide the proof of your eating after wards like many , you have been struggling for a while. I admire your couarge. Yes BED gives us the illusion of control. Many things ifluenced your BED. I couldn't agree more... it is indeed a "vicious cycle." I hope you are able to find coping techniques soon. I suggest making a hot cocoa drink. Take 1 tablespoon of coco powder and put it in 1 cup of hot water. This will satisfy your craving of chocolate and it will supress your appeitie

Heavenleeangel December 15th, 2016

Is there an anorexia Awareness?

@Heavenleeangel

i checked , to my knowledge i can't seem to find any , if i ever make such a post i will tag you smiley

Heavenleeangel December 15th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

Okay, thank you(:

Hope OP December 23rd, 2016

@Heavenleeangel

You can read the post on Anorexia awareness here smiley

ChinaRose December 15th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

Please tag me, too! I tend to swing back and forth between these two mostly. I love that I can talk about this here without feeling like a freak. Thank you! <3

@MistyMountainHope

i sure will , i am seeing a demand for it , i will be working on this post soon smiley

singercrystalspirit December 15th, 2016

- I used to be bulimic

- sometimes I feel unable to control what I'm eating; I feel afraid that if I DO control what I'm eating, then it means that I have an eating disorder

- I eat even when I'm full, to cope with emotions I guess

- I eat at least relatively normally around others. I definitely think I gorge alone, and not with others...although I haven't really thought about it in those terms in the past. I don't intentionally not-gorge around other people. It's just that when I do end up gorging... it's alone. I guess if I'm at a party or something, I do hide the fact that I'm eating sometimes.

- I usually eat continuously throughout the day, with no planned mealtimes... it's difficult to have planned mealtimes, my life is very unstructured/unpredictable

- I feel embarrassed over how much I eat

- I feel on auto-pilot while binging

- I never feel satisfied, no matter how much I eat

- I feel disgusted, depressed, or guilty after overeating

- I feel desperation to control my weight and eating habits

- I don't know and I haven't been diagnosed with it

- My mother being on a diet/overweight when I was growing up most of the time, and then she would go off of it ("cheat") and comfort eat

- I have high stress lately, often poor body image, and I get bored easily.

- The reasons above are some ways

- Nope. The advice on the matter is really conflicting and confusing as far as I am concerned. I'm a small person and friends and lovers and men and family are chronically telling me I'm too thin and I need to gain weight. And I'm binging, and I'm miserable. I gain enough weight and people stop telling me I'm too thin... but I'm unhappy because I feel sick with the amount and the way that I've eaten. And out of control. I don't even know what in the world normal eating looks like for me. Everyone seems so different.

@singercrystalspirit

Thank you for taking the time to read the post and answer the questions . What i am seeing from what you shared is that you eat to cope with stress as many , as eating gives one the illusion of having control on at least something in life. Unstructured and unpredictable life can surely add up to the stress . The feelings of embarrassment and guilt are common in people suffering from binge eating disorder . A parent's life style can certainly influence a child . I can see that you are having a very rough time i hope it gets better for you and so far coping strategies are concerned i have noticed not many out there are reasonable option , i will be making a post on that too soon

PassionatePeyton December 15th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

Woo hoo! Looks amazing! You did an amazing job sharing links and good factual details!! This is a wonderful article, I encourage EVERYONE to check it out!

Wishing you the best in the last few weeks of your internship! heart

@PassionatePeyton

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read . Your words means a lot smiley

gigantWillow93 December 16th, 2016

@EssenceOfHope

This is really amazing, Ess ! I am glad you did it ...opened up a space for many people who needed it !

Keep up the great work smiley

@gigantWillow93

Thank you for your kind words smiley

December 16th, 2016

Having difficulty to eat

Around 10 years ( maybe more)

Depressions

Makes me sad that I cant really eat

Close people keep me in check ensuring I eat at least one meal a day

@AmInACoffin

You have been dealing with it for a while , yet still going strong . I admire your efforts . You provide some great support in the Healthy Living Room . I am sorry you are going through this . I am glad your family keeps you in check

raccoonangel December 22nd, 2016

I eat normally in front of others, but once I'm home I eat my entire house. Sometimes in public I'll eat an entire entree and an appetizer (you know, chips or bread).

I think it started during puberty. When I was 9 I started eating a lot of pasta, and my family would joke about me being a bottomless pit. I've had the habit for about 9 years, and I'm just now seeking help.

No one stopping me, like I said above. Around that time (and ever since) my family has struggled with money and housing, and I think it may have stressed me out. My mother says she had anorexia as a teenager, and she only started to gain again when she became pregnant.

It makes me worry about my finances, since I spend quite a bit on food every month. I also worry because it's led to problems with my digestive system, which I found out about recently. My mind seems to always be on food.

Kind of. I'm planning on leaving my debit card at home when I go out, but I'm always worried I'll need it.