Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Personify Your Depression: If my depression were a person... [fill in the blank]

wontwakewontsleep September 27th, 2017

Personify Your Depression: I learned about this coping technique today. Imagine that your depression is a person separate from you. The idea is that personifying our depression helps remind us that depression doesn't define who we are ourselves, and that invasive self-critical thoughts we experience often come from our depression and not our healthy minds. Some things to think about are: what kind of person would it be, what kind of hobbies would it have, what would it look like, what would its name be?

So, if your depression were a person, what kind of person would it be?

purpleMap5053 April 12th, 2018

I'd kick its ass.

wontwakewontsleep OP April 12th, 2018

@purpleMap5053 - And you're not alone in that! Sounds like a lot of us want to show our depression how we feel about it by beating it up. Wish that was possible! Thanks for posting

determinedCake9464 April 12th, 2018

My depression is a geouchy git

It had saggy boobs and hairy pits....

determinedCake9464 April 12th, 2018

@determinedCake9464

*Edit:-

My depression is a grouchy git

It has saggy boobs boobs and hairy pits...

@determinedCake9464 - I can picture it! Nice rhyme by the way, I don't know if you meant that, but well done <3

tristi17 April 12th, 2018

@wontsleepwontwake

She would look just like me. She sits with me but never speaks. She just gives me a look and suddenly the world is grey again. And then we sit there, mute, like twins.

@tristi17 - Creepy and completely relatable and accurate. :( It definitely feels like being stalked by a colorless version of ourselves who can ruin any moment with just a look, or even the hint of a look, in our direction. Thanks for this depiction <3

TreaureSeekers3 April 12th, 2018

My depression feels like I can't be me . I'm lost and can't hide . Everywhere I go it's there it troubles my thoughts and emotions. I can't take it anymore .I wish I wasn't this person.

@TreaureSeekers3 - Yes :( Our depression ribs us of our personal identity. We lose interest in everything that we used to associate with who we are. Sometimes we may forget who we were before the depression, or if we were anyone else to begin with. With enough time, it starts to feel like all we are is this dark depression, that it defines us. :( the depression wants us to think that who we are is gone forever, but believe me, we are so much more than this depression, even though it definitely doesn't feel that way. Maybe one day we can still find ourselves again. This was a really honest answer that I think a lot of us can relate with so thanks a lot for sharing this valuable perspective <3

BigJohn April 14th, 2018

If my depression were a person... It would be typical kindergarten bully.
Laughting at your body and making fun of you, thinking it is the best and can beat you up how he wants.

wontwakewontsleep OP April 25th, 2018

@BigJohn - Depression is very much like a childish bully who leaves a lifelong impact on us. Thank you for posting

Myrmaid April 18th, 2018

I would keep away from it. It would be a toxic person so I would be able to just cut it out of my life.

@Myrmaid - Absolutely. I would go no-contact with my depression immediately if it were a person. Good analogy and good point!

intelligentSquare3915 April 18th, 2018

My depression is a bee hovering amound me sometimes wanting to sting and others it will just hover

@intelligentSquare3915 - Really like this comparison. Even when it's just hovering, we still hear it buzzing in our brains, apprehensive about when it will sting sgain. Thanks a lot for this. <3

astuteScorpius April 19th, 2018

My depression would be a living train wreck.

It's Marla Singer from Fight Club.

Doesn't care about appearance. Indulges in things because they feel good with no care about the consequences.

Looking for a place to belong but feeling like an entity just drifting nameless through a sea of faces.

Self destructive and pessimistic.

@astuteScorpius - Yes. :( Marla Singer is an amazing avatar for depression, a living trainwreck, self-obsessed yet self-destructive.

stuckintime92 April 20th, 2018

My depression is a sort of squishy monster. It's blue and a bit smaller than me. It wears a dark blue, over-sized hoodie. And it loves to hug me. Its hugs are so warm, they're hard to get out of. Every time I'm knocked down, it's there. It hugs me and holds me and I'm stuck. I stay with it until I'm strong enough to break away but it's always there for next time. Sometimes I miss the warmth of the hugs. They feel like a comfort. It's hard not to go back to them when I finally get away. But the hugs are as suffocating as they are warm and that hurts. Sometimes I let myself get suffocated anyway. It's hard to break out of the hugs. But I do and I say goodbye and wave and step away from my cute little monster and I know it'll still be there, waiting for another hug but, for a while, I'm free.

Of course, I'm also alone.

And a hug is so close by.

Magicalbored1237 April 21st, 2018

@stuckintime92 i love the way you worded that! :)

stuckintime92 April 21st, 2018

@Magicalbored1237 Thank you. I know I shouldn't but sometimes I take comfort in my sadness. And sometimes it's even a welcome emotion compared to the apathy. In that way, the hugs are warm. But the hugs are suffocating too and that's why they're not good for me.

Magicalbored1237 April 22nd, 2018

@stuckintime92 yeah I feel like that too. I hate my depression but I dont want it to leave either

stuckintime92 April 30th, 2018

@Magicalbored1237 I'm not glad that you feel this way because it's not fun but I am glad you relate. Sometimes I think if I just tried a little harder I could banish my depression for good but of course, it's not really that easy.

Magicalbored1237 May 1st, 2018

@stuckintime92 yes I know its hard. But Im learning to get rid of this feeling.

@stuckintime92 - Incredible description :( I totally understand where you're coming from with this. Depression figuratively and literally holds us back... it's a complicated situation, with lots of internal conflicts. I really appreciate you writing it here, thank you. Maybe it will be easier for us to escape its death grip and give ourselves kinder hugs as time goes on - ok what I just wrote sounds so lame, haha, but I really hope it turns out to be true. Thanks again <3

stuckintime92 April 30th, 2018

@wontwakewontsleep Thank you. And as cringy as it may sound, I hope so too. Depression is difficult but it doesn't have to win. We've got to be kind to ourselves.

MilkyHoneyTea April 21st, 2018

If my depression were a person he would be shorter than me. He wears a hoodie to cover his eyes and only looks down at his feet. He is mean because he is hurting and doesn't know how to express it in any way other than to attack me. I am not bitter towards him, he has suffered too. I feel only pity for him.

@MilkyHoneyTea - I think it is great you have such compassion for your depression. ): And I think you're onto something: it hurts so much because it is in great pain too. Thank you so much for sharing. <3

Melancholyhills April 22nd, 2018

My depression is a girl who looks just like me- my twin sister I guess. She walks next to me with her head lowered but her eyes always looking in front of her, always with a furious expression on her face. When she is angry or upset she puts pictures in my head of her destorying everything around us. Smashing vases, throwing things at the wall, screaming at the top of her lungs. When she feels sad or low she will sit very close to me and continually whisper horrible things in my ear. She tells me that I am useless, a burden and I'll never be good enough. I talk to her sometimes and once in a while I will fight with her and tell her she is wrong.. But at the end of everyday she always wins.

@Melancholyhills - Yes. ): Absolutely, depression is like a dark, almost soulless version of ourselives that wreaks havoc in our minds. It keeps us company but often only puts us down. I like how you mentioned trying to talk with it. I do that too. It always finds something negative to throw back in my face, some fault in my logic or argument, yet it itself is also very irrational. I appreciate this, thanks <3

tekechen April 22nd, 2018

my depression is a large hulking monster with horns. It won't let me see around it because it is so large and keeps getting in my way. My depression feels satisfied when I give up and go to bed at 4 in the afternoon.

@tekechen - Yes, spot on. It's such a huge towering monster, it blocks out all of the light and we cannot see clearly ahead or know where to go. It definitely celebrates when we trip and fall, or give up. Thank you for this great analogy <3

funfettifrosting April 22nd, 2018

my depression is not human, its a spider who has made its web im my stomach and chest and head.

Melancholyhills April 23rd, 2018

@funfettifrosting This is a creepy and uncomfortable way of seeing it but I completley understand why. Because depression is all those things

yoursandnobodyelses April 23rd, 2018

My depression is a womanly family figure who lures me in by saying that she just wants to care of me, but once I can't escape she tortures me and tells me how much she wants to kill me. But she never does. She just stops and comforts me in my tears and lets me go. Sometimes she would comfort me just so she can torture me more. Knowing this cycle already, every time she lures me with her seeming care, I would go in, knowing this would happen just to get it over with. I was never able to resist her way of luring me. She always knows what I want.

@yoursandnobodyelses - Yes ): Depression is like a siren of the soul, luring us into a vast darkness, it even teases and tortures us even threats of destruction that it never intends to follow through on. It has worn us down so much that we dont even try to resist its call anymore. Its like an abusive relationship. As sad as depression is, I absolutely loved this comparison, thanks so much for sharingetting it with us.

limegreenPlum9327 April 23rd, 2018

My depression used to be this very mean person who had a power to invade my head wih it's thoughts, Depression is that person that comes in and ruins all your fun, Depression is that person no one wants to be by but they stick around anyway because they don't know what else to do. My depression used to be like that, my depression used to use the voices of my friends and call me a bunch of names that clouded up my brain like it was venom, But now I have gotton better I have unstuck myself from Depression and carried on my life leading to happier days, I would describe my Depression now to be like a person that tries to change their ways, tries to make themself seem likeable but acts up sometimes and let those horrible thoughts slip under it's breath time to time.

@limegreenPlum9327 - Wow, thank you for your valuable insight. How wonderful to hear from someone who feels they are on the right path. Your depression has come a long way, and maybe sometimes it is still annoying, but I am glad you and your depression have some healthier boundaries now and now are trying to figure out a mutually beneficial situation in your brain. Changing our thought patterns takes an exhaustive amount of time, but I believe in you! Its ok to take a break from that now and the too, we're only human. Thank you and good luck to you <3

SentientCozyTeacup April 23rd, 2018

If my depression was a person, it would be a person of indiscernable gender. They move slowly and deliberately, kind of like a fog. They always know what they're doing. They see me having fun, and they just grab my shoulders softly, almost like a familiar friend, and remind me of everything I don't want to be reminded about. They whisper it softly, each word dripping like a slowly burning acid. If I escape them for a while, they remind me that they're nearby, just by existing nearby. Watching. Waiting for a weak point. Almost like some sort of sick monster.

Melancholyhills April 24th, 2018

@SentientCozyTeacup I love this concept

TylerXDurden April 23rd, 2018

If my depression was a person, it would be a 1000 pound sumo wrestler with a big black cape. The fucker squashes me all day preventing me to move, function, or receive sunlight, better yet any perception of life. Sometimes it gets up to use the bathroom and I'm free for about a day, then it comes back to break my bones till I'm nothing.