Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

5) Writing Fresh Content For 7 Cups: Guidelines

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

Through this discussion, we will discuss the basic guidelines for writing fresh content articles for 7 Cups.

The following are some general guidelines to keep in mind:

1. Include an Article Sub-headline/header: one sentence, no punctuation at the end, this subheader goes under the title that encapsulates the piece -- (We will discuss this soon)

2. Article Length: 1000-2000 words.

3. Break up the article using Subheadings.

4. The article should not be previously published.

5. Include at least one non-copyrighted photo, at least 1200 pixels x 630 pixels in size (from Unsplash, etc). If one is not provided, it will be sourced for you!

6. For any facts or studies quoted, please provide sources as footnotes/listed at the end of your article.

7. For quotes from other professionals, consider back-linking to their professional websites, research-work links, etc. All articles will go through an editing process for optimization after submission as well!

8. Submit your Article as a Google Doc link to ayesha@7cups.com / Link it to the dashboard with editing access if provided a dashboard/ OR use the required form for submission as per what you have been guided on protocol.

9. You will be informed once your article has been published so that you can share and promote it as well! We will also share it on 7 Cups social media accounts.

10. When provided, please ensure that you include as many keywords, these keyword insights can also be used to guide the outline of your article.

Please feel free to share any questions about these guidelines by replying to this thread.

February 1st, 2021

I understood all the points well. Do we need to attempt an article-writing, as part of the activity?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 1st, 2021

@Fristo Hi there, not for now - we will be over the next few weeks though!

SynSavory February 2nd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Whew, 1000 words is a lot! Thanks for keeping our pace in mind.

blissart February 1st, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

so for now, its just a learing to keep in mind for some project later on ?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 1st, 2021

@blissart yes after covering the basics we'll get to completely practical work soon.

followup March 21st, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.

WendinCaring February 2nd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Regarding writing an article with quotations from reliable sources...For example, on mental health related human conditions. Should we only use data published in scientific journals? I assume it is not right to quote data from wikipedia if a wikipedia article is a second-handed source.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 2nd, 2021

@WendinCaring Generally, you can usually outreach to experts or people with lived experience for direct quotes, but yes, for reliable data reporting, you can use Google Scholar and other scientific journals to confirm facts and statistics, for instance, reported on a website. I would generally recommend not visiting Wikipedia at all.

BlueTurtle5 June 13th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I find that Wikipedia can be a helpful place when looking for just the general overview of a topic. Of course never to use as an actual source but since it's written for the layman it can be an okay glance at the topic to see if its something you want to dive into elsewhere and the SOURCES for the wikipedia article can useful so scrolling straight to the botttom is a good use of Wiki when unsure where to start.

MarinaLecubet November 8th, 2021

@BlueTurtle5

Wikipedia is a an easy and convenient source to utilize but it isn't as professional, in my experience.

You can try websites such as psychology.com. I think that's okay, if I can get verification on that that would b few great.

Hope this helps turtle. :)

11820Read February 5th, 2021

Why would keywords be provided instead of simply the focus? I think it limits creativity and from my experience, keywords are the latest to be provided after an entire research and its report are done, not the other way round.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 5th, 2021

@11820Read that's a good point - generally, I provide keywords for our experts as some topics have such a wide scope, though they are always invited to discuss and finalize the topic as well as outline. Keyword insights are sometimes helpful and yes, are used after extensive research - such article briefs take quite a while to put together!

But your point is also correct, we could always edit the published piece for optimization.

I think the best approach depends on goals.

For our current focus here, I will not be providing keywords initially.

Happy900 February 13th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly I have read it and I understand.

I agree that using Wki, is not the best source, for information.

Google search/Google Asst. is really good, as well.

I have used both and there Amazing.

More Google Asst.,now a days.

CaringBrit February 18th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly ok so um for coursework piece 5 this one we don't do anything right now correct ? its a much later planned activity ? if so I can move onto the next pieces I have left 6 and 7 then can do quiz and progress report

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 18th, 2021

@CaringBrit correct, you just need to read this for now

GoldenRuleJG February 18th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly Thank you for providing these details :) I will keep them in mind

SassyClassyBrunette February 19th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Well understood! I will keep these details on my mind!

February 22nd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly noted

lyricalAngel70 March 3rd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Noted with thanks.

KristinHelps March 9th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly Great guidelines, will keep this saved to my forum threads!

AnisiaCocanMA March 12th, 2021

The steps are very clear . Just many congrats for those who write them because it's not easy work !

SoulfullyAButterfly OP March 12th, 2021

@AnisiaCocanTherapist Thank you, I am glad the course is being well received and is easy to follow

NityaSpiritualHealer March 12th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Do we need any badge for it?

Thanks

SoulfullyAButterfly OP March 12th, 2021

@NityaSpiritualHealer if you apply to join the CDM Program you will get a Trainee badge and later a Graduate Badge. Writers also get a badge when joining the content team.

sunlightspirit March 19th, 2021

Sounds like fun to me

mvpeng March 21st, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly Thank you for this information

IceCream4IceCream April 14th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thanks for the refresher! Will be useful for content volunteering :)

Lugi123 May 13th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you so much for this. The guidelines were clear and make sense. The only curiosity that I had was the reason for not adding punctuation at the end of the subheading.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP May 17th, 2021

@Lugi123 great question! While you might spot some headings or subheadings with punctuation applied, research shows that they do better in terms of comprehension if they are without punctuation. So as a general rule, if we have a sentence-long headline/subheading we try to go without punctuation.

unassumingFarm3602 May 16th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Hi there, understood all the points, just had the following two questions:

A) About including image(s) in the article, could we use a site called Pexels? I used it while writing articles during one of my internships...

B) While listing the sources at the end of the article, is there a particular citation style (MLA, APA, etc.) we have to follow? I know these styles are used mainly while writing academic articles, but I was wondering if we need to use the APA format for listing the sources, since the article would be related to Psychology, or do we just have to list down the links?

Thank you!

SoulfullyAButterfly OP May 17th, 2021

@unassumingFarm3602 Thank you for your questions! Pexels is a website that provides free pictures for commercial use, so yes, it is ok to use it!

As for references, you can note that many of our articles have listed basic links and some might use APA too - we do not require in-text citations as a mandatory requirement, but at the end of the day, it is up to you on how you present the reference list - which we try to keep from 3-5 links that are not back-linked (hyperlinked) within the article itself.

CocoaCassie January 24th

@SoulfullyAButterfly  Please can someone explain what APA is?

LovetoGod May 18th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thanks for this information I will keep it in mind while doing it later ❤

DaisyDaph May 23rd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

The guidelines are clear and informative! Thank you ❤️

Happy900 May 23rd, 2021

@DaisyDaph Glad to here that.

blindHeart12 June 4th, 2021

Thank you for providing guidelines for writing content. If any query arises during writing content will post later. As of now everything clear.

Saro007 June 8th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I love these guidelines! I'm so excited to write an article YAY!!!

I have no questions. The guidelines are very well written, easy to understand and educational :)

Creamyyy June 10th, 2021

great guidelines. Will definitely revise them before sending an article.

Regarding the photo, we mention the source next to it, I suppose?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP June 10th, 2021

@Creamyyy Hi, yes a link can be helpful to download/check it separately for usage.

giggleBubbles6722 June 17th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for the tips. Makes sense.