Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

12) About the Writer: Writing Effective Writer Biographies

SoulfullyAButterfly March 10th, 2021

As discussed before, incorporating EAT helps enhance content quality and helps more people discover the developed content.

Apart from ensuring EAT within our content, we need to ensure that we have effective writer biographies that support the developed content.

In this discussion, we will understand how to ensure effective writer biographies through applying EAT and other best practices.

1. Expertise

• When considering the expertise factor for author biographies, expertise refers to the credentials or experience the author has.
  • Medical content is best supported/expertised through medical professionals, for example, and similarly, relevant experience or education qualifies as expertise.
  • However, if one does not have a degree, expertise can be demonstrated through lived experience or other ways. For example, being an active listener for 7 Cups for 3 years does demonstrate expertise in listening and supporting mental health concerns.

Note: To keep up with the Expertise factor’s need, 7 Cups currently either pairs content writers with experts and content is published through the expert profile with the writer biography contained at the end of the co-authored article, or publishes writer works through a shared account called “7 Cups Community, Global Support” - the biography of this account is optimized to reflect EAT.

1. Authoritativeness

• Authority in terms of an author biography refers to the number of citations the author has. This includes their publications and other published content, as well as any reviews or things that show the impact or quality of their work.
  1. Trust

• Trust is also determined by an author’s citations - trusted authors have published content for websites and publications that score high on EAT factors.
  • Trust is also established through the quality of an author’s content.

Activity

Using the factors discussed above, write a biography for your prospective articles at 7 Cups. Feel welcome to include your real name/pseudonym or first name - anything you are comfortable with being prospectively published!

After you have written the brief paragraph-form biography, point out what parts of the biography highlight each of the EAT factors.

Respond to at least one other student’s biography and comment your feedback for improvement.

Bonus (Optional): Consider starting a 7 Cups creator portfolio here!

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

zaatarHoney April 30th, 2023

@VinylFly

Thank you for your feedback!! This was very helpful. <3 :)

VinylFly April 30th, 2023

VinylFly's Biography:

VinylFly has been a verified listener with 7 Cups since October 2015. In addition to actively listening to and supporting members, they have served as a group support moderator, have authored numerous discussions, and are one of the former Support Team Leaders of the Addiction Support sub-community. Vinyl is passionate about advocating to reduce the stigma surrounding mental health, disabilities, and addiction. They have completed University coursework in the areas of psychology, sociology, and disability studies. They have both lived experience with and professional experience in supporting individuals with physical and mental disabilities including mobility, autism, and ADHD, addiction and harm reduction, LGBTQ+ issues, and mental health. In their spare time, they enjoy participating in their local disability self-advocacy meetings, listening to their record collection, and spending time with their partner and two guinea pigs.

Expertise:

• My time spent as a 7 cups listener

• My lived and professional experience

• University

Authoritativeness:

• The roles I’ve had on 7 cups (moderator, discussion writer, addiction support team lead)

• The topics I have experience with (disabilities, addiction support, mental health, LGBTQ+ issues)

Trustworthiness:

• The fact that I’m a verified listener

• I attend disability self-advocacy meetings in my spare time

• My background and cumulative experience inside and outside of the 7 Cups community

kindEyes9789 May 3rd, 2023

@VinylFly Hello, great job on writing your biography! Your biography highlights a lot about the EAT. As the biography mentions that you have completed university coursework in psychology, sociology, and disability studies, it would also be helpful to specify the degree(s) earned or the level of education achieved.

In addition to mentioning the roles held on 7 Cups, you can also consider providing specific examples of accomplishments and successes in those roles.

Good luck!

kindEyes9789 May 3rd, 2023

Lysandra has been a dedicated member of the 7 Cups community since 2018, committed to providing the best possible support for those who need it. With the importance of empathy and compassion, she has supported friends and loved ones through difficult times. Currently pursuing a master's degree at Science in Management, Lysandra is also trained in Content Development and Marketing, ensuring she can create informative and trustworthy content for her readers. Lysandra is enthusiastic to share her knowledge and create uplifting articles that provide support and guidance to people all around the world, with a passion of helping others.

Expertise: Experience supporting friends and loved ones through difficult times, coupled with her graduate studies at Science in Management and training in Content Development and Marketing, showcase her expertise in mental health and content creation.

Authority: Dedication to the 7 Cups community and passion for helping others highlight authority on the topic of mental health and wellness.

Trust: Commitment to empathy and compassion, as well as training in creating trustworthy content, demonstrate the ability to be a reliable source of support and guidance.

walkalot June 9th, 2023

@kindEyes9789

Hi KindEyes, I think this is good, although personally I think it's long. I tend to zone out for the long bios. Best to keep it short and sweet.

blindDaisy9121 June 30th, 2023

@kindEyes9789

Well written!!

walkalot June 9th, 2023

Adam (Walkalot) is a high school teacher who teaches about computers. Through 7cups, he has been deepening his knowledge of mental health and also supporting people as a listener for over two years. He is working through the Content Development and Marketing program at 7cups in order to develop his ability as a content creator and also challenge himself to more deeply research different mental health topics.

Expertise: research, time on 7cups, time as a listener.

Authoritativeness: probably this could be worked on, but I will increase the authority of my articles through proper citation.

Trust: long time as a listener, respected profession, also high listener rating, which people can see if they click on my profile.

JusticiaPrimalDorogo June 24th, 2023

@walkalot

I like what you wrote. Just, be more specific.

starsnnights July 7th, 2023

@walkalot

Hey, you have written very well more or less. Short and precise. I personally don't think I would change a thing or two from the biography (if I were at your place).

SnowTabby August 12th, 2023

@walkalot

Your biography is very straight to the point. It does not do well in explaining your EAT contributions. Looking at expertise first, you could add more about what makes you qualified. You do say you are a teacher, but what is your background. Adding specifications so we can trust your expertise is important.
Authoritativeness is absolutely lacking, as you yourself said. To be a teacher, I am assuming you need a certification and prior experience as well as a semester plan laid out. That itself shows your impact. Maybe you could express the reviews you got from work in graduate/undergraduate work, or just any general feedback. In general, you are assuming the article you are publishing this with is something within your expertise so there is plenty you could have lead this with.
As for Trust... requiring a reader to click on your profile to figure out if you are qualified to be speaking on the topic or not is not so great in practice. If they have to question your work, there is something you could have done better. Also, again, you do nothing to explain your respected profession or what you contribute to it. As for being a long time listener, there are no specifics here for that either.

You need to add more in your biography, more specifics. Convince them without having to explain further in your profile or through added bullet points.

walkalot August 15th, 2023

@SnowTabby

Hi Snow Tabby, thanks for the feedback. I will take a look and see if there are ways I can update it.

sellistens August 22nd, 2023

@walkalot

I think it was very well written, especially when you wrote that you would like to challenge yourself to deeply understand mental health topics. I would say having a more captivating first sentence would be beneficial.

heathermarie95 August 25th, 2023

@walkalot

well written but could have been longer with including with some of the things mentioned in expertise, authority and trust :D

JusticiaPrimalDorogo June 24th, 2023

EXPERTISE JusticiaPrimalDorogo is a Listener since 2016. (7 years)

She went through all of the training guides in 7 cups and is a Quality Listener Program graduate, with honors.

She is a 7 cups Intern too.

Currently studying Content development and marketing.

She is an aspiring copywriter in legal and mental health matters.

AUTHORITY As an Active Listener level 5 and owner of dozens of certificates in soft skills here, and on other platforms, Highly skilled in active listening.

TRUST Her reviews are nothing but positive ones (5 stars) No reports for violating any rules.

starsnnights June 26th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

helloo I haven't published any prospective articles at 7 cups so how can I write a biography?? so am I supposed to be doing this activity or not?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP June 26th, 2023

@starsnnights Hi you can still write one without that information.

starsnnights June 26th, 2023

Sure I'll try. Thanks for replying.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

blindDaisy9121 is a newbie on 7 Cups. It's been only a month since she joined this platform. She has been certified for active listening for 8 hours. She has received 2 positive feedbacks so far. She is actively taking part in forums. She likes to write content related to mental health and nature. She looks forward to becoming a part of the Content team on 7 Cups.

@blindDaisy9121

Expertise- Listener on 7 Cups

Authority- Feedback and Rating on my profile

Trust- Certification of Active listening level 1

starsnnights July 7th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Starsnnights is an active listener on 7 Cups since 2022, having provided compassionate support to 148 individuals. With a recently completed Master's degree in Counseling Psychology, she possesses a strong foundation in understanding and addressing various mental health concerns. As a verified and trained listener on 7 Cups, she has demonstrated expertise in general anxiety, social anxiety, depression, exercise motivation, and overall mental well-being. Starsnnights continuously expands her knowledge and expertise through ongoing education and professional development. She is currently pursuing the Content Development and Marketing Program on 7 Cups, enhancing her skills in crafting informative and impactful content. Her commitment to providing valuable insights is reflected in her contributions to reputable platforms, including 7 Cups, where she has positively impacted numerous individuals seeking support. With a deep interest in both physical and mental health, she consistently updates her understanding by avidly reading books and relevant content. By advocating a holistic approach to healing the mind and body, she aims to help individuals overcome their challenges and enhance their overall well-being. Through her empathetic nature, educational background, and ongoing dedication to personal growth, Starsnnights is committed to providing trustworthy guidance, supporting individuals in their journey towards improved mental health and overall wellness.

Expertise- Listener experience, Master's degree in Counseling Psychology

Authoritativeness- content development and marketing program, contributions to reputable platform like 7 cups

Trustworthiness- Continuous learning, having a holistic approach to mental wellbeing as well as overall wellbeing.

SilverSeastar August 10th, 2023

Hello, @starsnnights 💙

Good work on such an effective, detailed, and well-thought-out biography! I particularly love how you mention your holistic approach and that you continuously expand your knowledge and expertise through ongoing education and professional development.

SilverSeastar August 10th, 2023

This article was written by @SilverSeastar. Silver is a medical student passionate about psychiatry and mental health advocacy, particularly for personality disorders and dialectical behavior therapy. She has been a listener on 7 Cups since 9 June 2018, is verified, and has a five-star rating. She has graduated from the Quality Listening Program with honors and has completed the Community Building Course and Time Management Course. She is active as a forum supporter for the Personality Disorders Support community and has hundreds of forum posts and forum upvotes. She is enthusiastic about the Content Development and Marketing program as it enhances her writing, graphic design, and marketing skills.

🔹 Expertise: has been on 7 Cups for 5+ years, verified, graduated from QLP
🔹 Authoritativeness: number of forum posts and forum upvotes
🔹 Trustworthiness: a familiar face as a forum supporter in the PD Support community

Mari228 August 11th, 2023

@SilverSeastar

Amazing biography of yourself and clearly shows your expertise and how others can trust you. Was smart to point out that you’re verified and your rating so people can distinguish you as a listener. One thing to improve is perhaps include something you like to do to show well roundedness.

Mari228 August 11th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Mari has been an active listener at 7Cups since December 2018. She has also volunteered at other mental health organizations as a crisis counselor such as at Crisis Text Line and The Trevor Project She has a BA inPsychology and MA in Communications She also works full-time in the mental health field as a dispatcher She is driven by her passion in mental health by being active in the 7Cups community as Listener Discussion Host, Peer Supporter, Adult-Teen Listener and Quality Listening Program Academy Mentor In her free time, she enjoys spending time with family friends and pets, drinks tea and journals and plays video games

Expertise- volunteer, academic, and work experience in mental health

Authoritativeness- 7Cups active leadership roles

Trust-has been engaging with the 7cups community through discussions and listening

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Snow joined 7Cups in January of 2019 as a way to reach outside her personal bubble during a time she felt less than enough for the world around her. With so much support for the world bottled up, stumbling on this opportunity felt like a way to share her experiences and coping mechanisms with those that take the jump, the risk of asking for help.
Without knowing the environment and resources available to me, it wasn't long before a self care break was necessary. A few years, actually, where she gained more life experience in high school and college. During her time away, it has influenced her perspective on relationships, coping mechanisms, various mental health issues, college stress, family situations, social standings and expectations, and self worth.
In spring of 2023, she began contributing more effort and time towards her 7Cups positions and chats. Currently, she holds 22 ratings with a 5 start Listener Rating and 21 positive reviews having helped 97 people. Quite quickly after returning to 7Cups, she got verified as a Listener and took up a permanent leadership position. She is part of the Care Team, welcoming new listeners to make sure they know the resources available to them like she did not.
While she has not published anything, she is in the process of training for submitting articles in the Content Development and Marketing Program. She has graduated from 7Cups Leadership Development Program as well as continuing training in an external Honors Society for Leadership.
Also outside of 7Cups, she is dedicating her time to a Bachelors in Engineering with two minors, Mathematics and Art Studio, to ensure broad knowledge to apply to any future works or endeavors.

Within my biography:
Expertise is pointed out as expertise within the academic world as well as personal experience with many forms of relationships, mental health issues, and expectations in professional environment and the social world.

Authoritativeness is shown through the positive reviews received and continuing effort towards bettering my contributions to the 7Cups articles and Q&A's.

Trust is implied through the wide range of training in college, honors societies, reviews and ratings received, and specifically the self care break taken showing I know my limits in what I can offer others.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP August 13th, 2023

@SnowTabby great attempt at this! I did notice how you diverted from the third person ever so slightly but that is ok! We can modify this when publishing your work.

sellistens August 22nd, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Sel is a dedicated listener on 7 Cups who has 3 years of experience and has a 5 star rating with over 30 positive reviews. Sel is a certified Personal Support Worker who takes an empathetic approach when working with residents and does the same when talking with members on 7 Cups. She is currently a Content Development and Marketing student and a Quality Listening student at 7 Cups Academy. Sel has a deep understanding of the importance of mental health, and strives to help anyone who comes in her path.

Expertise - 3 years experience on 7 Cups, certified PSW

Authoritativeness- 5 star rating and 30 positive reviews which can be seen on my profile

Trust - deep understanding of mental health and strives to help anyone (shows that I am inclusive which gain the trust of many), takes an empathetic approach (shows that I am understanding), 5 star rating and over 30 positive reviews

heathermarie95 August 25th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Heather has been an active listener for 7Cups for the past 3 years. She is always making sure she is understanding, empathic and an active listener at all times. She finds herself always making sure to be a team player when it comes to her personal and 7cups life. During the years 2013-2018 she was studying Business and between 2018-2020 she was studying Psychology. With that being said, she is currently expanding her education by taking the Content Development and Marketing Program on 7 Cups. Heather is a trusting individual that makes sure she is researching topics from reliable resources Heathers goal is to make sure she creates articles that educate anyone who isnt too sure on a particular topic.

Expertise: experience on the particular topic discussed, uses reliable sources to make sure shes providing accurate information

Authority: Content Development and Marketing Program

Trust: using reliable resources, confidential, active listener, compassionate

MaggieListens00 August 28th, 2023

@heathermarie95 great response, very thorough. Only advice is to be careful of grammatical errors (eg Heathers vs Heather's)

MaggieListens00 August 28th, 2023

Maggie came to 7Cups in the May of 2015 and has been an active member in the community since. Originally drawn to 7Cups as a member, she understood the value of the community and compassion founded on the site. In order to aid in the provision of our exemplary service, she works within the Verifier's team as well as a room supporter. As of 2020 she has started her medical degree and, inspired by 7Cups' message and helping others through their issues, she has decided to pursue a career in psychiatry.

Alongside her studies, she has engaged thoroughly with the Academy at 7Cups, having completed the internship as well as the quality listening and leadership programme and is now pursuing further learning through the group support and content development programme.

E - Student doctor, all of the academy programmes

A - Verifiers team, room support, degree

T - 8 years at 7Cups, room support

kindheartedLily September 16th, 2023

@MaggieListens00

Eight years on 7 Cups! Wow, that's amazing! I think your biography is great😊

kindheartedLily September 16th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Kindhearted Lily holds a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and a Certification in Addiction Counseling, and she has worked in the mental health and substance use field, equipping her with a deep understanding of the various mental health issues and counseling theories. KindheartedLily has been an active listener on 7 Cups since 2021, is a verified listener, and has a five-star rating. Additionally, she is the leader of the listener coaching team, is on the verifiers team, and she is also a chat supporter. She completed the Quality Listening Program with honors and is currently enrolled in the Content Development and Marketing program to further refine her writing and marketing skills. KindheartedLily’s dedication to excellence extends to her commitment to staying updated with the latest mental health research, ensuring that her content writing remains well-informed.

Expertise: Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and a certificate in Addiction Counseling. Work experience. Completed QM program with honors.

Authoritativeness: The various roles I have on 7 Cups

Trust: Stays u to date with the latest mental health research

Clarezg October 1st, 2023

@kindheartedLily I love your response I think something that could make it even better is if you add more about how you support your listeners because I can tell from your Expertise that you're a great listener. I think that could help strengthen the readers trust in you even more.

kindheartedLily October 1st, 2023

@Clarezg

Great suggestion, thank you so much! 💜

Clarezg October 1st, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterflyClarezg is a verified listener on 7cups. A listener committed to learning and sharing more about mental health. She has also been an ambassador for mental health programs and an active leader and member of mental health support communities. She’s talked to many people and helped many people on 7cups and in person. She’s determined to be there for others and provide them a safe place to express themselves.

Expersie -> I highlighted how I’m a verified listener on 7cups

Authoritativeness -> I expressed how I was an ambassador and a continuous leader in the communities I’m apart of

Trust -> I talk about my mission to provide people with a supportive and safe place

BenittaJ October 11th, 2023

@Clarezg I like your answer- straight to the point.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Benitta is a member of 7cups since 2021. She found this site while she was broken. 7cups provided her mental support when she needed it the most. Now her turn to return the favor As we see many people broken just like She was and her current mission is to provide support as much as she can. She's also a LDP graduate, mega member in 7cups and a CDM trainee. 

Currently She's freelancing as a Digital marketer from 3 years, She might be helpful in content creation and marketing, being very much interested in articles creation, the topics which fascinates her the most are eating disorder, sleeping disorder and self esteem because She has to work on these as well. #letshealtogether 

E - My experience in 7cups as a cupper and how i supported my co- cuppers.

A- my real time work as a Digital marketer, and why I might be helpful in CDM.

T- 7cups Mega member. 

@SirenOfSerenity above is my answer.

Wildarkberry October 25th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Meet Norna Haniaden, a devoted mental health advocate who has made a significant impact within the 7 Cups community. For three years, Norna has been a verified listener on the 7 Cups platform, offering her empathetic and non-judgmental support to those in need.

Norna's journey began as a listener on 7 Cups, where she quickly gained a reputation for her compassionate and trustworthy approach to helping individuals in distress. Her dedication led her to complete the rigorous Internship program at 7 Cups, further refining her skills and understanding of mental health support.

Continuing her commitment to personal growth and impact, Norna is currently enrolled in the Content Development Program at 7 Cups. This step reflects her ambition to reach even more people by providing valuable resources and content related to mental health.

Norna Haniaden's story exemplifies the transformative power of empathy and kindness in the world of mental health. She serves as a symbol of hope, demonstrating that even a simple act of listening can be a lifeline for those in need. Norna's mission is clear - to provide the support that many individuals desperately require. Her journey is a testament to the belief that change is possible, one conversation at a time, and her unwavering dedication is making the world a better place, one person at a time.