Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

11) Headlining and Sub-Headlining Effective Content Pieces

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

Article titles (headlines), as well as subheadlines, are one of the first things a reader reads.

In this discussion, we will understand effective strategies to write headline titles as well as subheadlines to these titles.

Some general tips include:

• Avoid long article titles: try to fit the title within 62 characters or limit it to 5-7 words.

• Consider using “What”, “Why”, “How”, or “When” as these are catchy and add to curiosity.

• Use Numbers - numbers ensure the availability of organized information, and are generally liked: using Odd Numbers in the title has helped in terms of SEO. Remember to write the number itself (5 instead of five).

• To add specificity, consider using “the” before the number.

• Provide an answer to why people should click and read your content: words like “tips”, “strategies”, “facts”, “reasons” all help provide a rationale.

• Include the word “Guide” where applicable.

• Consider using emotional adjectives that describe the topic. For example, “essential”, “free” etc.

• Consider outlining Negative aspects - spin this to meet mental health content goals. For example, The 5 Essential Things You Did Not Know About Depression.

• Use common words to ensure people understand and grasp the topic while finding the title simple

• Consider using a “Things I Wish I Had Known” approach to content if applicable.

How to test your headline as being unique:

Copy and paste your headline with quotation marks into the Google search bar. (e.g. “The 5 Essential Things You Did Not Know About Depression”) - if the results come back as “no results found”, your headline is unique!

Helpful Resource: Useful Title Capitalization Tool

Note: The bottom line to success in terms of marketing and content is to ensure that your content body reflects the great headline/title. It might be worth considering to write final titles after the content body.

Subheadlines: Effective subheadlines summarize the content body while also linking it to the title.

Activity

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Reply to at least one other student’s response and share your feedback with them

(Edited by @SoulfullyAButterfly: 12/2/2021 to clarify "subheadline" instead of subheading)

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

SnowTabby August 12th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly
I briefly read through the basics of the article and thought through all the general tips, finally landing on one title using some keywords from the article.

Prioritizing Positivity During Holidays in Isolation
Chasing Holiday Blues Away with 6 Essential Methods of Connecting

sellistens August 21st, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Title: How to Conquer Loneliness During the Holidays

Subheadline: The 6 ways to stop loneliness and continue Christmas cheer!

MaggieListens00 August 28th, 2023

@sellistens a really strong title, with a clear goal. The subtitle really sets up expectations too!

heathermarie95 August 28th, 2023

Title: Struggling with Holiday Loneliness During Covid

Subheading: 6 Tips to Begin Overcoming

kindheartedLily September 9th, 2023

@heathermarie95

I really like your heading, although the subheading seems less clear. I would suggest adding another word or two after 'overcoming' to be a bit more specific.

heathermarie95 September 9th, 2023

“6 Tips to overcome holiday lonilness”

Do gender-affirming hormones improve mental health?

Mental health burden in our transgender peers: The role of gender-affirming hormones: What the evidence tells us: The need for comprehensive care:

forgot to capitalise these 🥹

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Title: How To Curb the Holiday Blues

Subheading: Six essential strategies to reduce loneliness during the holidays

Oops....subheading redo: 6 essential strategies to reduce loneliness during the holidays

Clarezg October 1st, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Finding Community During the Holidays

6 ways to battle loneliness amidst festivity

BenittaJ October 9th, 2023

@Clarezg I like it.

BenittaJ October 9th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Title: How to cope up with Lonesome Holidays?

Sub title: Ways to make brighten up the holidays:

Wildredberry October 19th, 2023

@BenittaJ

Very clear and represents the content well.

BenittaJ October 19th, 2023

@Wildredberry Thankyou ❤️ I wonder i dint check my answer wts "make" doing before "brighten" 😂 

Wildredberry October 19th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Headline: Navigating Holiday Isolation

Subjeadline: Exploring Methods to Embrace Holiday Cheer in Solitude

Wildarkberry October 19th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Headline: Dealing with Solitude Amidst the Festive Season

SUbheadline: Uncover Strategies for Finding Joy During the Holiday Season Despite Loneliness.

HachiBee November 22nd, 2023

@Wildarkberry

The headline is clear and straightforward! The sub-headline is a bit wordy for me, but it connected the title and the content. Overall, you did a great work with this 😄

enigmaticpanda4152 January 11th

@Wildarkberry

Reply to at least one other student’s response and share your feedback with them

I liked the title. It's on point delivers the content well.

Subheadline uses too many uncommon words that makes it a bit lengthy. It related to title nicely.

Overall, Clickability might be good for this.
Your brainstorming is showing.

Good work!!

stargirl123456 November 14th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Title: Find joy in isolation during the festivities

Subheadline: 5 ways that can help you cope with loneliness

babyangel November 17th, 2023

@helpfulmindful88

I like it, simple and effective :)!

babyangel November 17th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Title: "Navigating the Holidays with Resilience: Finding Joy Amidst Challenges"

Subheadline: "Discovering Creative Ways to Overcome Holiday Blues, Sourced from Real Conversations on 7 Cups of Tea"

Subheading 1: "Unwrapping Positivity: Exploring Unique Perspectives on the Holiday Season"

Subheading 2: "The Thankfulness Effect: Spreading Joy Through Gratitude"

Subheading 3: "Connection in Isolation: Rekindling Relationships During Social Distancing"

Subheading 4: "Innovative Celebrations: Socially Distanced Gatherings for a Festive Spirit"

Subheading 5: "Volunteerism in the Time of COVID: Contributing to Community Well-being"

Subheading 6: "Hobbies and Distractions: Self-Care Strategies for Mental Wellness"

Subheading 7: "Cherished Memories: Navigating Grief and Honoring Loved Ones During the Holidays"

sky2Ocean20 March 19th

@babyangel

detailed and very relevant headings. Easy to understand and very helpful to get the idea of the article through these sub headings.  

ScorpiaD July 31st

@babyangel Very informative with more than one sub-headline option. I like it!

HachiBee November 22nd, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Thriving in a Solo Holiday Season 

5 Ways to Make your Holiday Isolation be a Festive Distance Celebration

ThoughtLight January 25th

@HachiBee I love that you included the word "thriving". It is such a hopeful and invigorating word. It really makes the whole thing pop. 

CupcakeCaring February 13th

@HachiBee

it looks really good

CocoaCassie March 18th

@HachiBee What a great title well done!

enigmaticpanda4152 January 11th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Using the knowledge attained through this discussion, propose a new article title as well as a subheadline for this published article at 7 Cups.

Rejuvenating Yourself to Bring Back Joy During Holidays

6 ways to Reconnect with Everyone during Pandemic

WeEarth January 16th

@enigmaticpanda4152

Its quite clear and conveys a positive message about rejuvenating oneself and reconnecting during the holidays. Well done my friend 💜

WeEarth January 16th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Finding Joy in Solitude: Creative Ways to Navigate the Holidays Amidst Challenges

Explore heartwarming ideas sourced from 7 Cups members to embrace positivity, connection, and self-care during the holiday season, even in times of isolation and change.

WeEarth January 16th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Navigating Holiday Blues: Heartwarming Ideas for Positivity Amidst Challenges

Discover creative ways sourced from 7 Cups members to shift focus, embrace joy, and build connections during the holiday season, even in times of isolation and change.

Have a Nice Holiday Season by Coping with Your Loneliness         Have a Nice Holiday Season by Coping with Your Loneliness

6 different strategies to cope with loneliness so that you can enjoy the holidays.

@ThoughtLight ignore the white lettering. I was toying around with a feature and thought it was erased. Lesson learned. 

CupcakeCaring February 13th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Coping with Loneliness During the Holidays:- Loneliness Vs Holidays

Socially Distanced Gatherings:- Connect Apart: Uniting Safely

MarwaneB March 5th

@CupcakeCaring

Your headlines are relevant and concise. However, I would recommend using the tips you learned in this article.

Consider using “What”, “Why”, “How”, or “When”, or Numbers, or the word “Guide”, or emotional adjectives like “essential”, and “free”, or a “Things I Wish I Had Known”, or words like “tips”, “strategies”, “facts”, “reasons”..etc.

CupcakeCaring March 12th

@MarwaneB

thank you 💙

Countrygirl095 March 3rd

I chose to focus on what I primarily write an advocate for Title: Embracing Your Disability: Finding Creative Ways to Cope

Subheadings:

1. Ways to Feel Connected to Society When You Have a Disability

2. Ways to Embrace Your Disability

- Accessible Friendly Gatherings for Those With Disabilities

- Friendly Community Support

- Embracing Abilities and Overcoming Challenges

3. Exploring New Opportunities with Disabilities

- Finding Purpose and Fulfillment

- Breaking Stereotypes and Embracing Diversity

4. Gaining Understanding About Your Disability and What it Means to You

- Self-Exploration and Self-Acceptance

- Embracing the Journey and Learning from Others

5. Sharing Your Disability Story With Others

- Visibility and Advocacy

- Inspiring Change and Creating a Supportive Community

MarwaneB March 5th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Guide to Coping with Loneliness during Holidays:

The 6 Essential Strategies to Survive Holidays Alone

Based on the guidelines shared above, here are some positive and constructive points about @MarwaneB's headlines and subheadlines according to me:

- The title is concise and informative, and it uses the word "Guide" to indicate the purpose and benefit of the article.

- The title uses a colon-separated structure, which is one of the recommended formats for writing headlines.

- The subheadline uses a number to show the organization and specificity of the article, and it uses an emotional adjective ("essential") to appeal to the reader's interest.

- The subheadline also uses a negative aspect ("survive holidays alone") to highlight the problem and the need for the article.

A possible suggestion for improvement would be:

- The subheadline could also use the word "the" before the number, as suggested by the guidelines, to add specificity and clarity. For example, "The 6 Essential Strategies to Survive Holidays Alone".

I hope this feedback is helpful and constructive. I think you have done a good job with the headlines and subheadlines.