Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Conquering Anxiety: Panic Attacks and How to Tackle Them

739839c5-a619-46af-8e3d-9e8f1a92b5ce_1717170259.png

Hey everyone,

I’m excited to join the Conquering Anxiety series with a discussion on panic attacks. These attacks can be scary and feel overwhelming, but there are ways to manage them.

What is a Panic Attack?

A panic attack is a sudden surge of intense fear or discomfort that peaks within minutes. Physical symptoms like shortness of breath, chest tightness, heart palpitations, dizziness, or numbness can accompany it. These symptoms can be really frightening, but it's important to remember that they're not dangerous and will pass.

How are Panic Attacks Different from Anxiety?

Anxiety is a general feeling of worry or unease, often about future events. Panic attacks, on the other hand, are sudden and intense episodes of fear that come on strong and fast. People with anxiety disorders may experience panic attacks, but not everyone who has a panic attack has an anxiety disorder.

Strategies for Managing Panic Attacks

In the Moment:

• Deep Breathing: Shallow breathing is common during panic attacks, but deep, slow breaths from your belly can help slow your heart rate and calm your body. Try inhaling for 4 seconds, holding for 7 seconds, and exhaling for 8 seconds.

• Focus on Your Senses: Ground yourself in the present moment by focusing on what you see, hear, smell, taste, or touch. Notice five blue things in the room, count the sounds you can hear, or sip some cool water and describe the taste.

• Positive Self-Talk: Remind yourself that this is a panic attack, it's temporary, and you'll get through it. Some people enjoy writing their own affirmations in advance.

• Relaxation Techniques: Progressive muscle relaxation involves tensing and releasing different muscle groups, which can help ease tension. Practicing PMR regularly during calm periods can be very helpful for managing general anxiety and reducing muscle tension. This lower baseline tension can make you less susceptible to panic attacks. It is not recommended that you practice/apply PMR during periods of panic attacks or long-term anxiety as the body is already in a heightened state of arousal/tension during such states.

General Strategies:

• Learn Your Triggers: Identifying situations or thoughts that trigger your panic attacks can help you avoid them or prepare for them. A panic attack journal can help you look for common patterns that may be triggering. Some common triggers are stressful situations, social situations, or negative thoughts.

• Challenge Negative Thoughts: When anxious thoughts arise, challenge them with evidence-based reasoning. For example, if you're worried about passing out in public, remind yourself that panic attacks, while uncomfortable, are not dangerous. Try evaluating the evidence that supports and is against the thoughts you are having.

• Seek professional help: A therapist can teach you coping mechanisms and help you understand your anxiety.

Actionable Activities:

• Create a "Calm Kit": Assemble a collection of items that help you feel grounded and relaxed during a panic attack. This could include calming scents like lavender, a stress ball, pictures of loved ones, or a playlist of soothing music. Having this kit readily available can be a helpful reminder that you have tools to manage your anxiety.

• Practice Visualization: Imagine yourself in a calm and peaceful place during times of low anxiety. This can create a mental refuge during a panic attack.

• Develop Your Personal Panic Attack Plan: Personalize what you will do during a panic attack according to your needs.

Discussion Questions:

Members:

1. What are some of your experiences with panic attacks?

2. What coping mechanisms have worked well for you?

Listeners:

1. Are there any resources you'd recommend for people who struggle with panic attacks?

2. How can you best support someone who is dealing with a panic attack?

Remember, you're not alone in this. There is help available, and you can learn to manage your panic attacks. 

This post is part of the Conquering Anxiety series, you can find all posts of the series here. 

You can join or leave the tag list here.

@exuberantBlackberry9105 @unassumingEyes @WeEarth @CordialDancer @YourCaringConfidant @daydreammemories @yellowPineapple3652 @BaklavaBaby @CalmRosebud @Gettingbettertoday @GregariousSky @mytwistedsoul @sincereZebra2546 @pamharley003 @Sugarapplefairy5 @orangish @NovaIsNB @Blahblah1805 @KateDoskocilova

Note: We are looking for people who have worked on their anxiety management (progress counts, it's okay if your anxiety is not all the way managed yet) who are willing to share their experience to help others. Please message @Hope directly to contribute to a post in the series.

Hope May 31st

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for making this post! 

I am looking forward to seeing everyone's answers.

P.S: Do PM me if you wish to contribute to learning from others' post of this series where we learn about managing anxiety from people's own experiences

GlenM May 31st

Very comprehensive, practical, and helpful post! Thank you Soulfully!

KatePersephone May 31st

@SoulfullyAButterfly

1. Are there any resources you'd recommend for people who struggle with panic attacks?

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/mental-health/mental-health-self-help-guides/panic-self-help-guide/

by ensuring they are in a safe place and being compassionate towards them, and also by providing them some techniques to help calm them down as much as possible.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP June 2nd

@KateDoskocilova great resources! Excellent tip about ensuring and prioritizing safety and calm

pamharley003 May 31st

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Are there any resources you'd recommend for people who struggle with panic attacks?

I use music calming music from my app called calm I also use meditation and mindfulness

I do the best I can to help others through the panic attack. I listen clearly and open mind and hear what is bothering them and use coping skills if needed for them 

@pamharley003 thank you for sharing your experiences. Listening and just being there can indeed be very helpful

CordialDancer June 1st

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for sharing!

1. Are there any resources you'd recommend for people who struggle with panic attacks?

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/panic-attack

Firstly by being there for them, so that they feel most supported. For some people that is receiving a hug, or for others just seeing that someone is there with them. If the person does have a plan they follow with panic attacks, seeing how you can help them through their plan also provides help in a way that makes a difference.

@CordialDancer great points! Often having people who can support us during the plan or when creating a plan is very helpful in better management of panic attacks

daydreammemories June 2nd

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I would like to recommend some apps: lojong. Serenity. Moodee. SELF. Bettersleep. How we feel.  Which helps during the long run. 

I think reminding them that we're here with them and they don't have to go through it alone. Focusing on the emotions and not the reasons when they already are having emotional waves. 

@daydreammemories thank you for sharing! I agree that focusing on the emotions can help minimize panic levels and help us feel calm 

mytwistedsoul June 3rd

@SoulfullyAButterfly 1. What are some of your experiences with panic attacks? Some can be pretty bad. I sometimes have nightmares and flashbacks that set off panic attacks. Certain tasks can cause one. I hate when I'm in public and have them

2. What coping mechanisms have worked well for you? I try to be mindful of my breathing. I know a lot of the triggers but some are unavoidable. have a number of different things I try. Breathing - 54321 - rainbow grounding - I do the progressive muscle relaxation. And remind myself that I'm safe. Sometimes nothing helps

SoulfullyAButterfly OP June 4th

@mytwistedsoul thank you for sharing your experiences. It is true that sometimes management is a bit difficult. Rainbow grounding sounds very interesting - I will look this one up

SoulfullyAButterfly OP June 11th

@loyalNorth9689 welcome to the community! Thank you for reading and joining this discussion, I am glad it was helpful.

calmMango9611 June 10th

@SoulfullyAButterfly I was born in the Mid 70's. When I was a teenager in the 90s, I experienced some anxiety and depressive symptoms. This was before the wi-fi and internet age. I want to counseling for it and learned coping skills. One coping skill I learned is deep breathing. In mid 2000's, I took a class in Meditation and Mindfulness. Where I learned some new coping skills. So I add the Meditation and Mindfulness skills I learned and use them with the deep breathing skills I learned in counseling. It is very helpful. I do not suffer to much from anxiety, as an adult. With depression, it is a life long issue, but I have the skills to get me out of my depressive state. Now, I do my best to help others here at 7cups, to feel less alone.

@calmMango9611 thank you for sharing your experiences! You are right in that we need to keep updating our coping toolkits 

Heather225 June 10th

your content is always so good!!

@Heather225 thank you for your support!

alwayslove123 June 11th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

1. i find Headspace a really good way to calm myself down when i’m having an anxiety attack. it includes breathing techniques and lots of other calming resources.

2. i haven’t actually witnessed anyone having a panic attack, but i would tell them to name 5 things they can see, 4 things they can hear, 3 things they can feel, 2 things they can smell and 1 thing they can taste, it helps distract people :)

SoulfullyAButterfly OP June 12th

@alwayslove123 thank you for sharing! Using an app for calming activities like breathing exercises is very interesting and accessible. That activity for others is also one of my favorites for grounding

TheGeminiInMe June 13th
I have entirely too many experiences when it comes to having panic attacks. Naturally, I'm a very anxious person and anxiety loves having its toll on me. When it comes to too many people, I just don't want to be around. When it comes to stressful situations mixed with my anxiety, I end up hyperventilating and then magically I can't breath or want to do anything at all. 
I've tried many things. From meditation, to medication and therapy, nothing truly works. There's not a cure for me, so I seek prayer. I just accept the fact this is how I am and keep doing the best I can to get through the day. I will say though, writing, prayer, self talk, and nature have calmed me down during difficult moments of panic attacks. It's just a matter of having to get myself back to reality. 
whattospeak June 14th

@SoulfullyAButterfly 

Conquering Anxiety: Cycle of Anxiety - 7 Cups Forum

Understanding the cycle can help manage anxiety. The cycle of anxiety can involve:

1. Feeling anxious and wanting to deal with it.

2. Attempt to avoid the situation.

3. Feeling temporary relief.

4. Returning to heightened anxiety.

Breaking the cycle of anxiety can be a transformative process. Acknowledging the fear and choosing to face it, rather than avoiding the situation. By exposing yourself to anxiety-inducing scenarios, like a work presentation, your body experiences the symptoms and learns to become manageable. Engaging in coping strategies, such as deep breathing, visualization, or positive self-talk, can reduce the intensity of anxiety and increase confidence over time.

xxParkerxx June 15th

1. I actually haven't had a panic attack in awhile but they got really bad at the beginning of the school year.

2. Deep breathing, sitting on the ground with my knees to my chest, and having someone there to talk me through that.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I have experienced panic attacks since the birth of my daughter in October of 2020, with varying frequency.  My symptoms include dizziness, racing heartbeat, visual auras and disturbances, shortness of breath, tingling in my extremities, inability to speak.  There are a variety of triggers and the length and severity vary.

I am on medication, which helps lessen the frequency and severity of my anxiety.  I also have been using an indoor walking app to get more exercise, which I need to get back into and use with better consistency.  I have been a yoga practitioner for many years and find that it's a great way to start my day to get grounded and activate a lot of calm, peaceful, good feelings in my body and mind.

Clio9876 June 18th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

The most successful thing for me was just acknowledging. "I am panicking" or "I'm afraid".

And then to validate it. "It's OK to panic" or "it's valid to be afraid of that".

And then. "It will pass". I'd try to think about the previous ones and how long they lasted. All came to an end eventually. So I'd tell myself that I only had to find ways to cope for however long the others had been. Which would give me the motivation to try something that might help me wait for that time to pass.

Sometimes this stuff didn't, or doesn't work. But often it helped, even if just a bit, and the panics are gradually getting less frequent and less intense, which is the main thing for me.

I hope everyone who suffers from anxiety finds what works for them.

unassumingEyes June 21st

@SoulfullyAButterfly

1. What are some of your experiences with panic attacks?

I've had panic attacks in class, i think of them as the worst ones because you have to stay in your seat quietly and try to avoid attention from classmates which would just make things worse.

Breathing techniques and the 5-4-3-2-1 grounding technique specifically works wonders for me.

agreeableShade4304 June 23rd

@SoulfullyAButterfly Great guide, very helpful especially for those that have not experience anxiety attacks. I personally have found that the deep breathing helps alot.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I'm still not 100% sure what it means to be able to know panic isn't dangerous when it's happening because it's so all-encompassing.

I'm also in a state of near-chronic stress so I'm concerned; how would I practice PMR when I'm pretty much always in a heightened state?

Discussion Questions:

Members:

They happen in the morning after waking up for me, because that's when cortisol is at its highest. Actions like movement can dissipate this cortisol. I 'overthink' into 'analysis paralysis'. Grief and loss and the pandemic had a profound impact on me as well.

• Focusing on and writing down the positive
  • grounding exercise
  • time management
  • exposure therapy
  • CBT
  • DBT
  • Gratitude
  • goal setting
  • Affirmations
  • a soothe drawer
  • Solo artist dates
  • Self help books and workbooks
  • journaling, notebooks, scratch pads
  • oracle
  • tarot
  • working with stones
  • Hydrotherapy
  • Numerology 
  • Medication 
  • Self medication 
  • peer support groups
  • good food
  • Enough sleep
  • Consistent hygiene
  • Water
  • spending time with positive people
  • goalsetting
  • coaching
  • Asking for help
  • Craniosacral therapy
  • resource gathering
  • the 4Ds
  • c.a.r.E.
  • The Four Agreements
  • acupuncture
  • Noise cancelling headphones
  • brown organic noise
  • shelters
  • talking to others or smiling at them, or acknowledging them
  • making mistakes with the focus on learning
  • arts and crafts
  • music
  • learning about forgiveness and letting go
  • practicing releasing emotions
  • speaking up for myself
  • being gentle, loving and patient with myself and others
  • Skincare, nail care, hair care
  • self massage
  • decluttering
  • Feng Shui
  • Alexander method
  • Ayurveda
  • Qi gong
  • Karate
  • Spetznaz
  • hobbies and interests (doing whatever with whatever I have around whether it's walks or writing or colouring or asking people what their hobbies and interests are and trying/exploring them for a week), etc..
  • RAIN by Tara Brach
  • Improving/practicing delegation
  • The Work by BK (www.thework.com)
  • Mindful Self Compassion workbook by Christopher Germer and Kristin Neff
  • Louise Hay workbook and books, talks and meditations
  • Green and white DBT workbook
  • In The Rooms recovery app and website
  • Finch app
  • 5 Minute Journal, app or hardcover
  • Any Gratitude journal
  • A weekly planner
  • The Time Management growth path on here or any time management courses
  • Studying the book "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" or if a teen, the one for teens
  • Any free local resources such as peer support groups, workshops, churches, non-profits that could provide clothes, hygiene items or food, a library, counseling
  • Learning more about nutrition (vitamin supplements and sprouting)
  • If struggle with blood sugar levels The Glucose Goddess on YouTube for healing 
  • If indigenous resources specific to them such as status, citizenship, helplines and friendship centres.
  • About being present: Eckhart Tolle, YouTube channel, website, books
  • About major depression: Douglas Bloch, YouTube channel and website, books
  • Life teacher: Abraham/Ester Hicks.
  • A bullet journal
  • A morning, noon and night routine
  • Arts
  • Crafts
  • Non-Violent Communication by Michael Rosenberg
  • Micheal Singer
  • Stoicism
  • Being more or less polite (fight-flight-freeze-fawn fear response)
  • Astrology
  • Metaphysics
  • Good humour
  • Networking
  • Vision or inspiration boards
  • Dressing for your body type/style
  • Finances/wealth management
  • Gender and sexuality resources and information 

Listeners:

1. Are there any resources you'd recommend for people who struggle with panic attacks?

See above.

Listen, put myself in their shoes, suggest any relevant tools, resources and support, maintain appropriate boundaries (not too open, not too closed), be engaging, authentic and trustworthy, make sure my cup stays full.

lotuswarriorrising June 29th

@SoulfullyAButterfly  Are there any resources you'd recommend for people who struggle with panic attacks?  This is a great question because I'm sure there are resources on this site to guide people to, I just haven't found them yet.  

2. How can you best support someone who is dealing with a panic attack?I have walked a few people through panic attacks - although I was in person with them.  I asked them to breathe with me - and to hold my hands - or something tangible - A pillow, a crystal...I reassured them that this would pass.  When they got to the point where they could talk, I asked them - "what is real?" Because although feelings are real, they are not fact - and often there is one thing masking another - so it helps to get clear.  It would be trickier in a chat - but I would reassure them that I'm here, I'm not leaving, it will pass, try to take deep breaths and hold on to something.  - Do the 54321 exercise etc. 

lotuswarriorrising June 29th

@SoulfullyAButterfly  ALSO  I love the idea of a Calm Kit.  I have a Depression bag - which is very similar.  I also really like the Panic Attack Plan - These are both things I would suggest - not in the moment - but in a subsequent chat if there were one. 

Blahblah1805 June 30th

@SoulfullyAButterfly @Hope

What are some of your experiences with panic attacks?

My very first panic attack was after listening to a relatable song which reminded me of my past and it's traumas. I feel like I can't breathe and something is wrong with my heart it aches or I don't know what. I just hold onto my chest and keep on breathing heavily. 

What coping mechanisms have worked well for you?

For me, the 4-7-8 technique always works, it helps me calm down. I also started having positive self talks in front of mirror after my therapist recommended it and it works too. And by now I've recognised my trigger points so I can avoid panic attacks to some extent now. 

WeEarth June 30th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for this insightful post 💓

Tips to Cope with a Panic Attack (psychcentral.com)

@SoulfullyAButterfly

What are some of your experiences with panic attacks?

I'm not exactly sure if these are panic attacks, but sometimes when something unexpected happens (like my parents coming in my room all of a sudden, a teacher suddenly asking me to do something like read something aloud or help them in some way, getting scolded by a teacher out of nowhere, having a dog near me start barking suddenly, me realising I missed the bus or something, my parents suddenly getting very mad and yelling directly at me and threatening to slap me, and those kinda things) my heart starts racing and beating loudly and my hands and legs start trembling very much. Is this just getting startled very much or is that a panic attack, I don't know. This also sometimes happens if I have to speak in class or something, even if it was expected and I was prepared.

What coping mechanisms have worked well for you?

I try to drink water when I feel like that, and it helps a bit. Generally, I just try to distract myself and think of something else. I try taking deep breaths sometimes. And if it happens at home, I lie down if possible, close my eyes and try to calm down and hug myself or my pillow if possible. And if I can, I stretch my body a bit after some time to stop my hands and legs from trembling.

CreativeKombucha June 30th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Psychology Today has lots of resources with credible information.   Here is one article with information that is related to handling panic attacks.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/liberate-yourself/202309/4-ways-to-cope-with-a-panic-attack

If someone were having a panic attack, the first thing that I would do is ask if they were ok.  Then I would encourage them to work through that attack.   For instance, remind them that they are facing a fight or flight response.  Meanwhile, I would ask if they would like some water to drink.   

BlossomGirvan July 1st

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you very much! This is so helpful. I had 2 panic attacks in the last week. I knew what it was and was outside when it happened. I tried to focus on a pile of roof tile and looked at the patterns and where there was blue painted. I also tried to focus on breathing. This post helped me so much. 

TJItalia July 2nd

@SoulfullyAButterfly

It has so many amazing tips, skills, and coping strategies. I am impressed and will try to implement when I feel one coming.  

sereneSunshine00 July 4th

Things that have helped me and I have gotten feedback from others that work are:

• 5-4-3-2-1 breathing exercise. This is great because it can be done anywhere and rather discreetly. Sitting or standing take a moment to soften your gaze and feel your breath. Breath deeply in your nose expanding your belly and let your breath anchor you. Ask your self and then identify out loud or silently: 
    • What are 5 things I can see?
    • What are 4 things I can hear?
    • What are 3 things I can feel?
    • What are 2 things I can smell
    • What is 1 thing I can taste?

You may need to modify if you are hard of hearing or visually impaired. You can cycle through this more than once.

• Breathing into a paper bag. Big stereotype right? But truly, this has helped me immensely when I am having a more severe anxiety attack. The kind where I am hysterically sobbing, full blown hyperventilating, curled into a ball and start getting disoriented to time and place. Just breathing into the bag for several minutes slows breathing rate back to normal and can ease you out of the attack. I mostly do this at home but have done this one time in public, and while I embarrassed no one seemed to notice or care.
  • Free phone games. When I can feel an attack coming or even when I am in the midst of an attack focusing my attention on something that requires a higher level of cognitive processing helps mute the anxiety and re-route my intrusive thoughts. I will whip out my phone and to play Tetris, Mario Run, Sonic etc. 
  • Fidget toys/precious items. I have a few fidget toys I use and the repetition helps provide a soothing effect for racing, uncontrollably anxious thoughts. The “mindless” motion some how provides a grounding effect. I also carry around some special items like a precious stone or little trinket, and rubbing them, flipping over, feeling the contours, even with the item in my pocket (again the repetitiveness) helps reign in my panic. 
  • Hand tracing breathing exercise. Hold out your hand ✋🏽. Take the index finger of the opposite hand. Put your index finger at the base of your thumb. Trace upward on your thumb and breath in. Trace down the other side and breath out. Trace up your index finger and breath in; trace down your index finger and breath out. Repeat until all fingers are traced. Then switch to the opposite hand. Basically this is like tracing your own hand, but adding breathing. The structured breathing and tactical element allows your mind to slow down a bit and just focus on your breath and body. 

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Resources: I have been a big fan of Calm over the years. It is something that I was introduced to when I started having my first few panic attacks and it truly has been a guiding light to me. I also really like journaling whether that be writing stuff down on the go in my notes app or writing poetry in my diary.

What I do to support someone: When I am with my friends (in person) I really tend to hold them since they are all people who like and feel comforted by physical touch. When I am supporting someone online I talk to them positively (reflect positive self talk on them) and also use the 5-4-3-2-1 technique quite often since it is very easy to use in an online setting.

June777 July 10th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for this comprehensive and helpful post. To answer your questions as a listener I would:

1.     Are there any resources you'd recommend for people who struggle with panic attacks?

The resources I would recommend for panic attacks would be:

• Deep breathing: Inhaling for the count of 4, holding the breath for 7 and exhaling for count of 8. Basically, longer exhalations than inhalations would trigger the relaxation response of the body.
  • Guided Meditation and breath work: Regular breath work and guided meditation in non-heightened states would help regulate the nervous system.
  • Light exercise, walking/jogging in fresh air, yoga: Any form of exercise.
  • Keeping a healthy eating and sleep routine: Less caffeine or alcohol intake and trying to maintain a good sleep routine also helps.
  • Having a safe mantra or a phrase like “I am safe” or “This will pass” or anything to repeat again and again to remind that they are safe.

2.     How can you best support someone who is dealing with a panic attack?

• By listening to them with compassion and without any judgements.
  • Trying to make them feel that this is a safe space for them.
  • Trying to work with them to identify what relaxation techniques work best for them.

specialOcean45 July 13th

@SoulfullyAButterfly This is a helpful post thank you so much!

Rizuemu000 July 19th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

After the panic attack, check in with them to see how they’re feeling and offer further support. This can help them feel cared for and understood. I think people sleep on this most of the time.