Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Teen Transition FAQs

ASilentObserver September 23rd

Hello, teen community!

We understand that aging up can be overwhelming. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the top 10 frequently asked questions to help you navigate the transition process smoothly. 

1. What changes will occur when I turn 18? Will I still be able to talk to teens?

As you turn 18, you will be transitioned to the adult side of the community. The teen side will no longer be accessible to you. 

• You will get the following access: 
  • Access to adult side group chats
  • If you are a listener, you will be taking 1-1 adult chats to listen and support them. 
  • If you are a member, adult listeners will take your 1-1 chat request to offer personal support. 
  • To reconnect with teens to support them, as a listener you can apply to become an Adult-Teen Listener

2. ATL Application and Roles: How do I apply for ATL? What are the roles and responsibilities?

You can read more about the ATL application process here.  

3. How do I handle transitioning from teen to adult listener?

Aging up can be overwhelming. So, transitioning from teen to adult listener can be an additional aspect. Here are a few tips to navigate the aging up process: 

• Focus on your priorities and take your time. 
  • Practice self-care 
  • Participate in the Listener Support Room to get to know the adult side community. Ask your questions related to listening and mentors & fellow listeners will help you with the best resources and information. 
  • Request a Transition Mentor to get all support related to your transition on the adult side. 
  • Focus on taking one chat at a time instead of a bunch of 1-1 chats. Take your time to listen and support them.  
  • Explore Member group chats. It will help you get a basic understanding of adults' challenges and how they support each other. 

4. How do I support adults when I have limited life experience?

Very good question! It can be a challenge supporting adults when you have limited life experience. But two things: 

• As listeners, our primary role is to provide a safe and supportive space. We avoid giving unsolicited advice, instead focusing on active listening. By listening attentively, showing empathy, and asking open-ended questions, we can help others feel heard and understood.
  • Suppose you feel you are unable to listen to a specific topic and don’t have enough understanding to support them. In that case, you can let the member know and encourage them to connect with other listeners through the Browse Listeners page. 
  • Also, you can go to the Listener Support Room to seek ongoing chat support from trained chat supporters. The chat supporters will guide you through listening to the member. 

5. Can I still chat with teens after aging up? What are the differences in talking to adults?

• As you age up, depending upon the account you have, you may or may not be able to chat with teens. 
  • If you have a member account, you will not be able to chat with teens. 
  • If you have a listener account, you will need to become an Adult-Teen Listener to go through the required training to support teens. 
  • The key difference in talking to adults and teens is their struggles and challenges. The challenges and their thought process tend to vary.  

6. How do I handle relationships with existing teen members after aging up?

• That's a great question! As you transition to adulthood, you'll gain access to the adult section of the 7Cups community. However, you won't be able to directly support teen members until you complete the training to become an Adult-Teen Listener. In the meantime, you can continue to contribute to the teen forums and offer support to other adult members.
  • Before you age up, you can let the members know you are about to age up and won’t be available 1-1 to support or listen to them. But they can do two things: 
  • Connect with other Teen or Adult-Teen Listeners through the Browse Listeners page to get support. 
  • Participate in forums and tag your username in the format of (@username), so you get notified of the specific thread and you can respond to their posts to support them. 
  • Create a Check-in thread and tag your members in the Forums to stay connected and check in with them on a monthly, weekly, or daily basis as per your and their availability.  

7. How do I deal with anxiety, stress, and other emotional challenges?

• Aging up can be daunting and it can cause anxiety, stress, and other emotional challenges along with ongoing challenges and struggles. Before we learn how to tackle it, please remember two points:
  • Your challenges and struggles are valid and they matter.  
  • The progress path won’t be linear but your steps will count and accumulate. 
  • A few approaches that can help you navigate and take care of your emotional well-being are: 
  • Self-care techniques: Taking steps to practice self-care helps to manage your emotions well. These techniques include mindfulness, healthy eating, sufficient sleep, exercise, hobbies, and relaxation activities but are not limited to them. It can vary from individual and can be more than one or two activities.  
  • Practicing coping mechanisms like deep breathing exercises, positive affirmations, gratitude journaling, limiting stressors, and problem-solving approaches can help manage stress and care for your emotional well-being. 
  • Seeking support is a huge one and connecting with support groups, a space to share or vent can be beneficial as you navigate the emotions of aging up. 
  • Read the self-help guide on Managing Emotions here! 

8. What basic life skills should I know, such as cooking, hygiene, and finances?

As you transition into adulthood, it is essential to have a solid foundation of life skills. Here are some basic skills to start with:

• Cooking: Learn simple recipes like pasta, stir-fries, and sandwiches. This will help you eat healthier and save money.
  • Finances: Understand basic budgeting, saving, and spending habits. Create a budget to track your income and expenses.
  • Laundry: Learn how to sort laundry, read care labels, and use a washing machine and dryer.
  • Cleaning: Know how to clean your living space, including dishes, floors, and bathrooms.

Please know these skills take time to develop. Take your time and start with the basics and gradually add more as you feel comfortable.

9. How do I balance college, work, and other responsibilities?

Balancing college, work, and other responsibilities can be a challenge, but doable. A few tips to help you manage your time effectively:

• Prioritize tasks: Identify what's most important and focus on those first. Use a planner or app to keep track of your assignments, work shifts, and other commitments.   
  • Create a schedule: Allocate specific time slots for each activity. Be realistic in setting your schedule and ensure you are getting enough rest.   
  • Time management techniques: Experiment with techniques like the Pomodoro technique to improve focus and productivity.   
  • Delegate when possible: Please do not be afraid to ask for help or delegate tasks to others if you can. It is okay to ask for help.   
  • Communicate openly: Talk to your professors, coworkers, and loved ones about your commitments to avoid misunderstandings and find support. 

Please know it is okay to adjust your schedule as needed. The key is to find a balance that works for you and helps you achieve your goals.

10. How do I become more responsible, mature, and confident?

Becoming more responsible, mature, and confident is a journey, not a destination. A few tips to help you on your way:

• Take responsibility for your actions, both good and bad. Identify and learn from your mistakes and strive to do better.
  • Having clear goals gives you a sense of direction and purpose. Work towards achieving them, no matter how small the steps. Your every step is counting.
  • Practice self-care by prioritizing your physical and mental health.
  • Step outside of your comfort zone and try new things. As you challenge yourself, it can help you build confidence and resilience.
  • Please do not be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Talking to a trusted friend, family member, or mentor can provide much-needed guidance and support.

Please know growth takes time, so be patient with yourself and celebrate your progress, no matter how small.

Have a question that isn't answered in the FAQs? Let us know in the comments 

Or, connect with a Transition Mentor to get the transitioning support. Click here to request! 

bocchi-the-rock-ikuyo-kita.gif

Antonio7Cups September 23rd

@ASilentObserver 

Thanks for the great resource. ♥️

ASilentObserver OP September 23rd

@Antonio7Cups Thank you Antonio. please do help to share it with any teens whenever you can. i do hope it reaches out to all and we can able to support better during teen transition. 

Antonio7Cups September 23rd

@ASilentObserver 

For sure! ♥️

CaringEzra September 23rd

@ASilentObserver 

This is super awesome and helpful resource obs! 

Heather225 September 23rd

vital resource! will be actively sharing this around

tagging some folks who work with teens to help spread awareness @kenzolena @Mel @AnnaSilverberg @Shadow

Mel September 23rd

Thank you!

MistyMagic September 24th

@ASilentObserver what a brilliant and comprehensive post. Thank you for creating it. It serves as a reminder to all of us ATL's and also to teens and newbie adults too.

Wonderful! Hope it is added to all the resources!