Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Discussing Trigger Warnings - WorkingitThrough2

audienta July 15th, 2023

Hello everyone,

We all see and use trigger warning all the time and don't really think about it any more. Therefore, I find the scientific results regarding the effects of trigger warnings that WorkingitThrough2 shares with us very interesting. Are they even helpful? Let's read what @WorkitThrough2 found out about it and discuss trigger warnings in the comments. Also, please leave some appreciation for the work of WorkingitThrough2 down below!

Discussing Trigger Warnings - WorkingitThrough2

Introduction

There has been new research done on using Trigger Warning on post that may actually do more harm than good, especially for survivors of trauma. Below, you will find a summary of the study, links to this information, a list of cons and pro, a possible alternative, and questions to start the discussion.

Helping or Harming? The Effect of Trigger Warnings on Individuals With Trauma

A study was done on college students on the effectiveness of the use of posting trigger warnings, on highly sensitive words. Researchers say that after conducting this survey that they did not find any evidence of trigger warning alerts to be effective. Researchers have concluded that they can be more harmful than helpful.

References

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/trigger-warnings-fail-to-help.html

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/community-family/science-proves-trigger-warnings-do-more-harm-than-good

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/what-if-trigger-warnings-d

Cons and Pro

Cons:

• Just the fact that the trigger warning itself could invoke a negative response from a trauma survivor, causing them to go into Flight or Fight mode.

• Trigger warnings could cause a person to be unable to resolve their internal conflict by avoidance, which is more hurtful them helpful.

• Also, it can send the emotional state back into a traumatic memory.

Pro:

• The good part about using trigger warnings is that it makes us aware that there is some type of explicit content in it, therefore allowing the reader to prepare themselves for what it is.

Possible Alternative

It has been suggested that placing a Trigger Warning, can do more harm than good. Therefore, “Content Advisory” might be a better alternative. Choosing a term such as Content Advisory helps the reader to not automatically begin to experience triggers or respond with the Fight or Flight mode. Content Advisory allows the person time to process the fact there are some explicit details in the article, giving them time to process and decide whether to proceed or not and to stabilize themselves, which reduces the impact.

Discussion

I personally like to know beforehand and I choose if I want to proceed. Let’s talk about it.

1. How do you feel when you see the words Trigger Warning?

2. Do you feel they are helpful or not?

3. How would you feel about using Content Advisory instead of Trigger Warning?

This post was written by a member of the Trauma Sub-Community Writing Team. You can find a masterpost with all the posts of this team linked here. If you want to join the team, please apply here. Also, please comment if you want to be tagged in future posts.

Thank you,
audienta

Update 9/9/2023: If you want to fill out the survey, please click this link.

@WorkingitThrough2 @Sunisshiningandsoareyou
audienta OP July 28th, 2023

@Gettingbettertoday

I agreed with you that it's good that we have this discussion now.

SilentSerenityy July 25th, 2023

@audienta

1. How do you feel when you see the words Trigger Warning? I think back to this research that they're ultimately useless.

2. Do you feel they are helpful or not? Not really no.

3. How would you feel about using Content Advisory instead of Trigger Warning? I think content advisory is better.

WorkingitThrough2 July 25th, 2023

@SilentSerenityy

Thank you for your answer and I agree with you, I like it❤️😊

audienta OP July 25th, 2023

@SilentSerenityy

Thank you for adding your opinion!

WorkingitThrough2 July 26th, 2023

@audienta

I want to say thank you for allowing this discussion to take place. To all of you who so graciously participated with your voice, I say thank you.

This post was introduced to give our opinions of how we are affected by seeing trigger warnings, and I think that everyone has done a great job. I only hope that no one leaves feeling shorted or misunderstood. It is these type of discussions that helps us all to learn and to grow and to be able to hear other people's point of view without judgment.

Thanks 7cups, Way to go😊

CalmRosebud July 28th, 2023

I also like the terminology:

gentle advisory

proceed with care

as I noted in an earlier post. I don't have time to search for it sadly because running a group in two minutes.

WorkingitThrough2 July 28th, 2023

@VioletVeritas

Thank you for your reply❤️

I hope your group goes fine and have an awesome day😊

audienta OP July 28th, 2023

@VioletVeritas

Thank you, these are good suggestions.

audienta OP September 9th, 2023

Thank you for everyone's input! I've created a survey, which you can find by clicking this link. I'm looking forward to sharing the results with you!