Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Day 13: What went well technique

Hope December 13th, 2023

7 Cups has an exciting therapy update to share this month. To celebrate, we’re doing 25 days of Gratitude, Self-Care, and Personal Growth. Read more here.

Hi everyone! As part of therapy events, today I want to talk about a technique that might seem simple but can pack a powerful punch: the What Went Well technique. As humans its easy to reflect on what went wrong and often that is all we do, especially when we feel stuck in life. Lets think in a different direction today. 

What is it?

It's a retrospective practice where you focus on identifying and celebrating things that went well in your work, projects, or even daily life. It's not about ignoring challenges, but rather shifting your mindset to appreciate successes and learn from them.

Why use it?

Because we need to help ourselves reflect on what went well so we can see life in a more positive light. It helps us feel more motivated, uplifts our spirits, and allows us to see the good in life. 

By analyzing what worked well, you can identify patterns and strategies to replicate in the future. Acknowledging strengths and areas of success can help you build a stronger base to address areas needing improvement.

How to implement it:

It depends on your level of energy, ideally, this can be a good way to implement the technique:

• Set aside dedicated time: Schedule a few minutes at the end of a project, day, or week to reflect on what went well.
  • Focus on actions and outcomes: Don't just say "I finished the task." Explain what steps you took, what tools you used, and what led to the successful outcome.
  • Every little win matters: You are looking for anything that went well, not just big things. Some days it can be something as little as a good cup of coffee. 
  • An easier version for days, when you feel tired and don’t have the energy for thorough reflection, is to just note down a few things that went well. This should not take more than 5 minutes. 

Bonus Tips

• Write down these moments on a piece of paper every day and start collecting them in a jar. At the end of each week, read to yourself all the things going well in life. 
  • You can also pin these pieces on a surface that is visible to you every day if you have the privacy to do so and if you are comfortable with it.

Remember, we are not trying to say life is all great and refusing to acknowledge our challenges but instead, we are trying to encourage our brain to also start looking for the positive, we all know how it can be quite the negative Nancy! 

Please take a moment to do the above exercise and share with us 3 things that went well today. Remember we are not looking for massive wins though they count, every small thing counts!

Example:

• I had a great cup of coffee today
  • The office had catered lunch
  • I found the perfect parking spot
  • I got 3 green lights in a row
  • I got an A in my test!
  • My friend gave me this beautiful pin for my bag
  • The construction near my home is finally done 

sensitiveCurrent3802 December 13th, 2023

I have done the laundry yesterday

Spent +3 hours doing it and now my cloths smell good and clean

I have also dye my hair and took a shower and sweeped my room

Today I just woke up so nothing happened and no plans so far

Hope OP December 14th, 2023

@sensitiveCurrent3802

Fresh laundry and a shower! That sounds like a refreshing day

recliningfate December 13th, 2023

I was patient with the construction noise in my apartment today

I took a break when exhausted today

I spent time relaxing with my kitty today

@recliningfate

I am glad you were able to squeeze a break in and it does take some patience to ignore construction noises (I am doing that right now)

littlePond1213 December 13th, 2023

I slept in

I was able to say all my daily prayers

I could be around the flannel my sweetheart gave me yesterday

I could look at the picture we took of us kissing under the mistletoe

I could hear George's sense of humor

I learned about important things

I took a full walk

I tried a new tea

I had Olipop and a piece of chocolate

@littlePond1213

Sounds like a fulfilling day. How was the tea and which kind?

littlePond1213 December 14th, 2023

It was imported German tea my mom found on Amazon! It's Meßner Schneewunder Cherry Marzipan!! You can't taste the Marzipan too well but the cherry flavor is nice

Hope OP December 15th, 2023

@littlePond1213

That is fancy!

enigmaticpanda4152 December 13th, 2023

@Hope

This is such a positive post. It'll give nice perspective to own life.

This is making me do something that is not only beneficial for me but also gives a nice perspective to own life.

So here we go:

1. I successfully did my morning routine. Makes me happy. 

2. Made a nice coffee for myself.

3. Attended a nice meeting on video call. 

@enigmaticpanda4152

That is some good wins! What a joy it is to drink a good cup of coffee

enigmaticpanda4152 December 14th, 2023

@Hope

I would say Hope you have really embodied your name. Gives hope to everybody. 

We often dont see joy in mundane things. Thanks for bringing my attention towards it.

InsightfulPhoenix December 14th, 2023

I got to open a Christmas gift early yesterday 

I got to take care of the health insurance issue

I stood firm with my boundaries today 

I was able to express my emotions in a healthy way 

I have a loving fiancee and daughter 

I have supportive in-laws and a support system 

littlePond1213 December 14th, 2023

Ooh what was the Christmas gift if I may ask?

LZYYYy December 15th, 2023

@Hope

I cut down my time spent on games

I wore new clothes to school and my friend said it looks good on me

I completed the project that I've been lazy to do

KatePersephone December 19th, 2023

@Hope
Please take a moment to do the above exercise and share with us 3 things that went well today. Remember we are not looking for massive wins though they count, every small thing counts!
I had quite some food today, I got sleep xD, I managed to finish editing most part of my video.

delightfulUnicorn38 August 19th

@Hope

Thank you