Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dealing with anxiety and drug addiction

AdriSunshine June 13th

I find myself turning to drugs everytime something gets difficult in life and I don’t want to deal with the emotions. Any advice ? I want to be sober and deal with things in a better way. 

versatilecat1977 June 15th

I feel you. I’m struggling with anxiety and drug use as well. I feel like sometimes just changing what you’re doing can help me. If I’m just sitting there letting the anxiety go running rampant I will go put away a load of laundry or do the dishes and the distraction can break the anxiety cycle running through my mind. I also will go take a walk around the neighborhood and look around and pet the dogs people are walking. Idk it doesn’t work every time by any means but it helps me get through some of the triggers and challenges. Pl feel free to reach out to me anytime and I’m happy to talk.

perryelsa July 2nd

@versatilecat1977 It's brave of you to share that, and wanting to make a change is a crucial first step. Have you considered talking to a professional, like a therapist or counselor, who can help you find healthier ways to cope with difficult emotions? There are also support groups and resources available for people in similar situations. Remember, it's important to reach out for help and not face this alone. You deserve support and a better way to handle life's challenges.

versatilecat1977 July 3rd

I have therapy today. I started 2 weeks ago and she’s a qualified addiction therapist too. She gets it. I’m not ashamed that I have a genetic predisposition for addiction. My dad, my brother, my grandparents, great grandparents….. My life isn’t perfect but it’s good. I’m trying to get sober again as I screwed up and started using again. I’m not happy with myself but it’s not a life threatening situation or anything I just need to stop. Which of course is easier said than done. But every single thing in life worth doing or having is complicated somehow isn’t it? Doesn’t harder mean better or am I confused? Idk I’m trying that’s all I know.

My boyfriend got laid off Monday and that’s what triggered my using again. I made the mistake of hanging out with an old buddy and everything went sideways. He gave me the drugs, he got me high, he even tried to kiss me. I punched him and split his eyebrow. But my point is that it’s always gonna be a struggle to get sober and stay sober but it’s worth it. I’ve had years of sobriety from pain meds and I don’t miss them. But my poison is meth and it’s not easy to quit especially when nobody suspects I’m using. So I’m gonna gonna keep on keeping on, tomorrow is a new day. I will likely use the meth until I’m out. Then I’ll quit again and I will have to stay sober. I have too much going on with my family and my friends to get wasted and **** off everything. Idk maybe my struggle will help someone else out. That’s why I share. So others know they’re not alone

blueOcean6753 July 6th

I'm looking for advice for my boyfriend on this same issue. Anytime any hard emotion comes he drinks an entire bottle of hard liquor and takes drugs. I pray you find a way to fight it. It's very hard on loved ones Watching you do this to yourself. I hope you have very supportive friends and family around.

versatilecat1977 July 7th

TBH my advice would be leave now. Cut your losses and run. If he’s drowning every feeling with booze and drugs he’s avoiding every feeling and trying to get numb. That is so selfish. That means he doesn’t really want to feel the love of your relationship he just doesn’t wanna be alone as he struggles. But I don’t have enough information about him to really say anything but run. I’ve seen the narcissistic traits turn extremely violent and aggressive and horrible. I don’t want to see that happening to you or anyone but it’s a dance as old as time. The narcissist and the empath. I’m projecting I’m sure and I fully recognize that I should take my own advice about why he’s using alcohol and drugs to make everything numb. And I will take my own advise and shut up now.

blueOcean6753 August 12th

Thank you for your advice and no need for you to shut up honesty is needed. Someone has to say what others won't. Sadly it's the truth of the matter. I hope you are doing much better since this post. 💕

Vintagge July 9th

Hello I struggle with alcohol and drug addiction I could only get help by rehab at first and to prevent relapsing I would get my thoughts occupied with hobbies specially painting and reading.

my dogs help me a lot I don’t think I’m prepared in any sort of professional way but I would suggest reading something nice and interesting without triggers that could help at first.

meditation is also very helpful if you feel like so I guess I’m just saying is it’s better to take things with ease and steady steps.

hope this helps and I wish you the best in your battle.

hopefuloutlook July 26th

@AdriSunshine Find better, more positive coping methods than to resort to drugs.  We are creatures of habit as it's said and new habits needs to be formed to counter the old, damaging habits. There is no "I can't". There is "I can", " I need to" for the sake of our good present and future.

I know it's hard. But, such is life that nothing comes easy. You can do this. Exercise, read about life, educate yourself. "Empty mind is a devils workshop". I wish you the best 

politeComputer8612 August 9th

It is hard, but you are tougher than you think. Don’t give up. It takes time, but slowly you will get better although you will have some relapses. It is part of the process

SummerKay2024 August 10th

@AdriSunshine

Hello🙂

I have struggled with drugs and alcohol addiction and when life gets really hard it was my numbing kit to avoid feeling emotions. 

I learned through rock bottom, tons of mistakes & floating  how to crawl out. I had to keep my mind busy with new habits and hobbies and my body with excersises,  grounding,  hiking, walking crying and therapy. 

Here on 7cups I do mindfulness and all the resources I can find.

I also found that music , journaling,  local support groups are helpful. 

Rooting for you're sobriety and healing. Sending you tons of puffer glimmer and strength 🐡✨️✨️✨️✨️