Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Tea & Cake β€” Compiling automated taglists

RarelyCharlie November 24th, 2022

_1669305085.cake-128.png

This feature can compile an auto-updating taglist so you can copy and use the latest list.

To enable Tea & Cake in your web browser, first you must have Tampermonkey installed. Most desktop and laptop browsers can install Tampermonkey, and also some on Android (for example, Kiwi). But apps and Apple iOS devices do not support it.

Next, install the Tea & Cake script. (If Tampermonkey is working, you should see a green Install button there.)

Then go to your Listener Settings or Member Settings page, and check the box "Compile taglists". This setting autosaves, unlike the rest of that page.

In any taglist control thread, press the "Compile the taglist" button (beside the subscribe button at the bottom of the original post).

To provide feedback on this feature, please reply in this forum thread or message me.

For more information on automated taglists, see: Manage taglists

Charlie

Optimisticempath November 24th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie you are brilliant πŸ’•

MistyMagic November 25th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie Hey Charlie! Sending you lots of tea and cake! Thank-you so much!

I have only just started looking at this and I not you say about those on a break not being included? I can understand if the profile is deleted but if it is just on selfcare does it still get removed do you know? And, did you realise that those profiles that have not been active this month are no longer included either? I am wondering how we can keep these included or will we just have to please add me again when they are back?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

RarelyCharlie OP November 25th, 2022

@MistyMagic Previously there was a database, so it remembered the list and just updated it as necessary. Now there's no database, so it builds the list from scratch each time. This means if someone's name disappears from the forum thread, they now disappear from the list (because there's no database to remember them). But if they return and reappear in the forum thread, then they reappear in the list too.

This is a bit complicated, because if someone wrote "Please add me" and they go on a break, then their name disappears. But if someone was added by the list owner, then their name is still visible in the forum after they go on their break, and that means they remain in the list.

I don't understand how not being active this month could affect it. If someone's name still appears in the forum thread, then they will still appear in the list.

That said, I do know that there are some weird discrepancies between the old lists and the new lists. I'm hoping that these can be cleared up by adding or removing people as necessary. If any list is badly messed up, let me know. I'm happy to help with sorting it out.

Charlie

MistyMagic November 25th, 2022

Thanks, now I understand better, I will look in more detail tomorrow. 🍰🍰

MistyMagic November 26th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie Ok this is what I have found,

Lets take the 50+ taglist that has hundreds on it https://www.7cups.com/forum/50OverCommunity_193/Checkin_1704/50OverTaglist_289721/?post=3119841 but when I use the new update icon under my original post it only comes up with 7 usernames! I understand that the vast majority I added in from a manually compiled list, then used your wonderful, wonderful taglist clearer upper then added them so they haven't all posted to the taglist creation post. So for this example the new list won't work.

Obviously, this will work going forwards for new lists, but for the older ones, I think we may need to take a copy of the original before it stops working and then copy in those new names that post please add me and they create a new list?

@Soulsings @EmotionsListener @AmiablePeace77

RarelyCharlie OP November 26th, 2022

@MistyMagic Oh! πŸ€”

Ah, I get it. If you can change the line that says Taglist Current as at 26th November 2022 so it simply says Please add then I think it will add all those.

Charlie

@RarelyCharlie Oh! lemme go try πŸ˜ƒ

@RarelyCharlie Oh! Oh! ohhhhhhhhhhhh 502 user names yessssss! I love it when a plan comes together!

@RarelyCharlie ok now I have a different thing happening, an unalphabetical list? I thought some names were missing but they seem to be added on to the end?

@MistyMagic You're right, it's doing the capital letters first, so Zelgrl is buried in the middle before adventurousBranch3786. Sorry about that. I'll fix it right now…

Charlie

@MistyMagic Version 2.1 sorts them properly.

Charlie

@RarelyCharlie ghahahah I couldn't reply to your 'fix alphabet post' because of the new 5 replies system lol so I am here saying thank-you again!

@MistyMagic Sounds like we've got one taglist working again! Thank you for your excellent feedback πŸ˜€

The forum editor is another thing I need to fix. I had it restoring the missing Reply buttons at one time. And some other parts of it have been acting up recently.

Charlie

DonaldK March 3rd, 2023

@RarelyCharlie hello there I installed the tag list automation. A friend of mine tell me about it how to do it. Thank you. I'm going to be back here.

AffyAvo November 25th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie Does this mean that anyone who wants to use the taglist needs this script?

What if I want to use the taglist on a device where I don't have the script, but do on a different device?

Is this just a matter of updating the list but it can still be copied at any time?

RarelyCharlie OP November 25th, 2022

@AffyAvo Yes, anyone who wants to get a taglist from its forum thread needs this script to do it.

To use the taglist on a different device you would have to transfer it somehow. For example, if you can log in to your mail on both devices you could paste the taglist into a draft email, then copy it from the email on the other device.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the last question. This new system doesn't store the list anywhere. It compiles a new list from scratch every time.

Charlie

AffyAvo November 25th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie That answers all of my questions, thanks!

soulsings November 26th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie in the old system, once the list was created originally, anyone could go to the link of the list and copy the list and they did not need any special software to copy the current list. Can we still do that?

RarelyCharlie OP November 27th, 2022

@soulsings I will be shutting down the old system later today. It does use special software, but the software runs on two servers that I am about to lose access to.

The new system uses similar software that each user has to install. I understand that this is not such a good solution in some ways, although it's often faster and it supports taglists in private areas of the forum, which was not possible with the old system.

Charlie

soulsings November 27th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie so the person that wants to check the current taglist needs tampermonkey extension installed in chrome.

Thanks for all your help with auto taglists it is a big time saver.

>>> QUestion <<< can people still add and remove by typing the phrase please add me and please remove me in the forums without having tampermonkey?

RarelyCharlie OP November 27th, 2022

@soulsings Yes, people can still add and remove themselves exactly the same as before. Everything in the forum threads still works the same way.

Charlie

amiablePeace77 November 29th, 2022

Hi everyone, I had a few issues in getting the taglist so I like to share what worked for me

1. Install tampermonkey https://www.tampermonkey.net/

Once you have installed it you will see it under your extensions (on chrome at the top right, click more more tools - extensions. You will also find an extension icon to the right of your address bar. Apps and Apple iOS devices do not support tampermonkey. To give tampermonkey access to site you need to click on the icon and the upcoming box β€œreload” in future.

1. Next install the 7 Cups - Tea & Cake https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/454925-7-cups-tea-cake

For some reason it took a while to get it installed, might have been a slow connection but just want to mention it if you face the same problem. Try to refresh after installment.

1. Go into your settings. When on the page see if β€œTea and Cake preferences” and the box "Compile taglists" show up under site preferences to the right. If not, click on your tampermonkey icon and on the box reload. It should appear now. Remember that tampermonkey needs to be given access to the page so you need to click on tampermonkey/reload.

1. Check the box β€œCompile taglists”

1. When you go to the taglist you want to compile use that link - example https://www.7cups.com/forum/50OverCommunity_193/Checkin_1704/50OverTaglist_289721/

When you are on the taglist site click on your tampermonkey icon again and reload to allow access. At the bottom of the taglist announcement you will see a sign β€œcompile taglist” (left to the tweet icon).

1. Click on the β€œcompile taglist” icon and the updated taglist will show. Click on β€œcopy” the bottom of the taglist and paste into your thread.

soulsings November 30th, 2022

@amiablePeace77 that is a great help. Thank you for going through all those steps which others may find easy but I found very challenging. You made things simple. Super job!

amiablePeace77 December 1st, 2022

@soulsings

Thank you soul!

MistyMagic December 4th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie Hey Charlie, I have noticed a couple of things.

1.) my "Compile the taglist" button (beside the subscribe button at the bottom of the original post) has disappeared? It was there a few days ago. I have reinstalled and restarted etc etc but can't find it. But it does seem to coincide with the new downvote button?

2.) I have been told there is a downvote button, but I cannot see it although there is a gap for it between my edit button and flag button (I am a global forum mod)
_1670169208.image.png

And also the 'add gif' button does not show up?

Any ideas please that can help me ?

RarelyCharlie OP December 5th, 2022

@MistyMagic Hey Misty, thanks for letting me know about these issues. πŸ€”

This morning I'm still seeing the taglist button (and the downvote button too). However, when I had a quick look last night the taglist and downvote buttons had both disappeared. So now I'm confused. Obviously, yes, reinstalling and restarting were worth trying, but if the button still hasn't reappeared I don't know what to suggest next. Is it still enabled in your Settings page? (I'm now regretting that setting because it's just an extra complication.)

My unofficial editor never got the new Add GIF button. That's just one of several things I need to fix. When I go back to the 7 Cups editor I do see the Add GIF button this morning.

Charlie

MistyMagic December 5th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie thanks for replying, I have ticked and unticked and still nothing :( I lost my buttons!

RarelyCharlie OP December 5th, 2022

@MistyMagic Well, now I still have both icons on my laptop, but on my Android tablet I only have the taglist one. The downvote one isn't visible.

However, I've noticed that the downvote button is really there but it has no icon. I can hover my stylus over the place where the downvote button should be and I see the tooltip pop up, "Downvote this thread". I'm wondering whether this might be what's happening to youβ€”the buttons exist but their icons are not visible.

Charlie

MistyMagic December 5th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie you are right about the downvote if I hover it is there, but the taglist one isn't there anymore.

MistyMagic December 6th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie I am wondering could it be my signature line interfering? I also seem to have lost the ability to change it? And I am trying everything!

HopieRemi December 7th, 2022

Thanks for sharing.

HealingTalk December 17th, 2022

@RarelyCharlie

I just came back from a break, learned about this, and tried it (out of need).

It works like a charm. So easy and smooth!

This is so, so useful!

Thank you a ton and congratulations on such a great job!

MistyMagic January 18th, 2023

@RarelyCharlie Hey Charlie, It seems that the lists are not removing names even when asked to? Am I doing something wrong? The example is in Mindfulness here https://www.7cups.com/forum/MindfulnessCenter_106/Announcements_2413/BrandNewAutomatedTaglistMindfulnessCommunity_210278/?post=3181399

RarelyCharlie OP January 18th, 2023

@MistyMagic Oh. OK. I'll look into it.

Charlie

RarelyCharlie OP January 19th, 2023

@MistyMagic My fault, not yours 😳

I had inadvertently made the remove function case sensitive. For example, fristo was in the list, so when it tried to remove Fristo (with a capital F), it failed. I think I've fixed that in the latest version.

Charlie

MistyMagic January 19th, 2023

@RarelyCharlie Thanks Charlie! that has removed Fris, but I can't get my name removed lol from the same list? Any ideas why?

AffyAvo January 19th, 2023

@MistyMagic A capital in the middle maybe?

RarelyCharlie OP January 20th, 2023

@AffyAvo Maybe! I'll look into it this morning.

Charlie

RarelyCharlie OP January 20th, 2023

@MistyMagic I think this was happening because the link to the control thread, above, is a post linkβ€”it has ?post=3181399 at the end. This completely broke the process. In the latest version I've made it ignore any post link, and now you're not in the list.

Charlie

MistyMagic January 20th, 2023

@RarelyCharlie Awesome Charlie thanks, so will this work on any of the auto lists dotted around the forums?