Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Forum Functionality: Provide Feedback Here!

theriverissinging March 31st, 2022

Hello, everyone!

As you might be aware, there are some on-going forum changes taking place. You can use this thread to provide any feedback, suggestions on forum functionality (functions, features, utility, any technical aspects only) or bugs that you encounter.

This is mainly being done to help keep things organized as it can be hard to gather it from various places/people and ease up the process for everyone to pass on feedback further to the 7 Cups team.

We encourage everyone to use this thread for its purpose anytime and use it for only that. Kindly review this post for any other feedback/behavior reports that don't involve forum functionality.

MistyMagic February 5th, 2023

@AffyAvo This is also happening in 35+

Listening - One Step At A Time!

AffyAvo February 5th, 2023

@MistyMagic Yeah, I suspect it's site wide 😔

CheeryMango February 9th, 2023

@AffyAvo

Currently looking into this!

HealingTalk February 4th, 2023

Vanishing threads

I noticed some threads I had answered in the Anxiety Support community have disappeared.

In some, I had shared links to online resources and wished to get them to answer a similar thread.

Others I wished to review my answers for similar purposes.

I can tell because I was on a long break until January 16, when I posted a check-in (that's easily distinguishable because it has a drawing). I know my answers were done after that break.

When sorting by date ("Recent"), I can see all threads after that date.

Those threads aren't there.

Also while filtering by topic, which is "Panic Attacks" I can't see those threads. This test is less reliable, as the original poster might have selected the wrong topic.

HealingTalk February 6th, 2023

@AffyAvo

Yes, it is.

HealingTalk February 4th, 2023

"Featured Thread" Notification not pointing to the featured thread.

On February 1st I made a check-in thread thread "Featured Thread" in the Anxiety Support community.

It triggered the community-wide "New Anxiety Support Community Featured Thread" notification, but clicking on it landed on the Anxiety community home page, not on the "Featured Thread"

On Sunday January 22, for some hours at least, the "Featured Thread" Notifications worked 100% well, tested in the Depression community. A thread was made "Featured Thread", it triggered the community-wide "New Depression Support Community Featured Thread" Notification, and clicking on it landed on the right "Featured Thread" thread. We tested it again and it worked well.

But the following week it got back to the same problem of clicking and not landing on the right thread, until now.

@HealingTalk I do wonder if the 'Featured thread' links to the featured thread until another post is made in the community? At least that was what my testing seemed to show? So it isn't really fixed at all just a sheer fluke that sometimes the featured thread is the top post? Hopefully it will be looked at and fixed soon.

HealingTalk February 5th, 2023

@MistyMagic

I wrote not one but two long replies to your post, and I lost both by pressing "Esc" to get out of the "link" form.

So the minimalistic version:

The "Featured Thread" notifications don't point to the threads they should, as others do (tagged, upvotes, Cups-wisde). They don't have embedded the right link. You can inspect the embedded link by placing the mouse cursor over the notification text and selecting "Copy Link Address"

The malfunction is due to an error in programming. We as users of the system can't do anything about it. It should be very easy to fix or create the functionality from scratch (in case they can't find the error).

By the way, I collected 430 tags from new users in a month. The usual practice of welcoming just 20 seems pointless to me. Having monthly lists of new users would be useful if we are to keep this practice.

This is the Welcome post:

https://www.7cups.com/forum/DepressionSupport_52/WelcomesIntroductions_1357/WelcomeToDepressionSupportJanFeb4_297575/

All the best!

AffyAvo February 7th, 2023

@HealingTalk I have not had the featured thread take me to the thread in a long time, just the specific community page. I just checked for my checkin which I featured, even though the thread is brand new I do not see it on disability main page because the thread is just an OP, there are no other posts in it yet, so it doesn't appear on the list with most recent posts AKA popular yet.

@AffyAvo @HealingTalk

Under the old user interface, the feature thread took you directly to the thread that was featured in the notifications but since the transition to the new forum system, it is not working as effectively as it should. The dev team now has to go and rebuild the notification system which will hopefully fix the issues we are experiencing now. I don't have an exact timeline as to when it will be corrected though.

I am still waiting for the 'Recent' filter to work in the actual sub-communities. It does seem to be working on the main dashboard page but not in the sub-communities. When modding/checking new posts I scroll to down several pages to try and make sure all the 'new' posts are found. See example below. You can see from the top down that some are minutes old then days, then mintues again and this goes on for several pages. Please can we have the 'Recent' filter actually sorting in time!

hz-1_1675607357.jpg

RarelyCharlie February 5th, 2023

@MistyMagic I think Recent shows you the most recent threads, but the time displayed on each thread is the time of the last reply.

I think Popular show you the most recent posts, Top shows you the threads with the most replies, Highlights shows you the most recent sticky threads, and Needs reply shows you threads that only have one post. (But I didn't check thoroughly.)

Charlie

MistyMagic February 6th, 2023

@RarelyCharlie Yes some show under one filter but not under another, it just means more time to mod everything.

@RarelyCharlieYeah, and that's really annoying if I'm trying to look for when a thread is made (or seeking out a thread when I have a rough idea it was made). If there's any posts made to a thread besides the OP I need to actually open it to see the time stamp.

Charlie is correct in the appropriate designations for the filters. So do we prefer it the order of threads to be by most recent reply and not by date of thread?

@AffyAvo @RarelyCharlie @MistyMagic

RarelyCharlie February 9th, 2023

@CheeryMango My interpretation is that anyone moderating the forum needs to see a list of all posts (both thread leads and replies), with the most recent post first, showing the profile image and the name of the poster and the time it was posted, linking to the post. If a thread has more than one reply, then each reply must appear separately in the list (to prevent unseen replies hiding in long threads and escaping moderation).

Charlie

MistyMagic February 10th, 2023

@CheeryMango most recent reply, please! The problem we are getting is that posts get missed because they are (as Charlie says below) posted to a reply in the middle of an old thread. It is impossible to go through a hundred pages in one thread ( like some of the HZ games) just searching for that day's new post. Then the next day the same thing. Moderation used to be so simple, just look and read the most recent contributions, now it is like a maze and I am sure that we are missing things.

HealingTalk February 7th, 2023

I have noticed that if a Member posts a thread telling they are depressed or have high anxiety, etc. and they post the thread in the "General Support", "Newbie Hub" or "7 Cups Online Therapy" communities (and others) their post has a chance to appear on 7 Cups' home page, get much visibility and many replies supporting them.

But if they post the same thread in the Depression Support or Anxiety Support communities, where these issues belong, (and where many posts are done by "Newbies", people that have just joined 7 Cups), their threads don't have any chance of appearing on the home page, getting Cups-wide visibility, and more people supporting them with their answers.

What is the rationale for this discriminatory treatment of the Forums?

@HealingTalk Good point! I actually do not pay much attention to the feed 😳

I find it doesn't really show me what I want to see. You're right, even though I have a number of communities I am subscribed to a lot of General and Newbie threads appear there (and I am not subscribed to those).

@HealingTalk @AffyAvo

We are not trying to be discriminatory in the forums for anyone. The threads that appear in the feed are based on the activity/interactions of the post. So if a post has a lot of replies or hearts, it will be more visible on the feed as opposed to a post that is seeking support and has not received any engagement yet. Jon and the team are working on personalizing the feed to each user based on their community subscriptions and including content from different communities as well.

HealingTalk February 9th, 2023

@CheeryMango

Dear Mango:

It's not a priority I think, considering many other important issues being addressed.

But I can always see, and right now, on the feed posts with one or two answers and one heart.

Some others with a few more.

Some with last post 2, 3 or 6 hours ago.

We have been fortunate in DS and AS to have threads with many posts.

I have never seen them on the feed, even immediately after a post.

I would extend this to the other "Topic" Communities.

I have seen check-ins from non-topic communities on the thread.

No DS or AS check-in (or from other"Topic") communities.

Check-ins tend to get more posts than "regular" threads.

For example, this one from about a month ago had 59 posts and many more hearts:

https://www.7cups.com/forum/DepressionSupport_52/CheckInsFromOurTeam_2337/CheckinDepressionSupport17January2023_294860/

I never saw it on the feed, while I see some threads with 2 posts.

Anyway, this is not first priority now.

MistyMagic February 9th, 2023

One thing I find is that often really old threads are included in my 'feed' and this can lead to them being dragged up from the archives and then posted to again. Usually games or really big threads that then crowd out the new ones trying to survive and stay visible - One of the reasons I am hoping Hobby Zone will be restructured soon.

Something I still miss back from when forums didn't belong to communities is seeing who the last poster in a thread was. We saw this when using the 'popular' ie. newest post sorting method. The OP showed on the left, the most recent poster on the right. This really helped with moderating. It's not unusual for someone who violates guidelines in one thread to do so in other threads around the same time. Without having a see all posts by user this was our next best option.

HealingTalk February 7th, 2023

@AffyAvo

Yeah...

The same happens with "Event" threads and other articles by the team.

If I had posted this innocent Event thread from "Community Projects & Events" it would be on the home page, with a reply by the "Needs Reply Team".

But I posted it from "Depression Support" so it won't make it there.

This is the Event post:
https://www.7cups.com/forum/DepressionSupport_52/ForumActivitiesDiscussions_332/Handwrittennotesconveyemotion_297774/

Happens always the same with similar posts from DS.

It's discouraging.

DRListens February 16th, 2023

The abilitytosearch by author, or at least find posts members have made by searching their username wouldbevery helpful

Sunisshiningandsoareyou February 27th, 2023

Hey @DRListens, this is a brilliant suggestion, alot of times I remember who made the post too instead of an accurate location for it xD so being able to search via author's/ original poster's name would be a really cool thing!

I tried it out with the current search tool: https://www.7cups.com/home/search/ with different usernames (members and listeners), the results are kinda haywired for me, some usernames do show up (either as their own threads or the threads where they might be tagged in) and then a couple of names didn't come up at all (and I know for a fact, these are names that have made forum posts and are tagged in some posts also). Currently it seems like a hit or miss situation. XD

I do hope it is more structured and effective in future someday. So we can find all posts made by a certain "@Username".❤

MistyMagic February 27th, 2023

Hobby Zone seems to have had a duplicate problem on one post but they are all removed but still showing under

Recent?

AffyAvo February 28th, 2023

@MistyMagic I've noticed some threads are a bit slow to clear from thread lists lately. The ones deleted earlier are still showing 8-9 hours later right now. That's not typical.

MistyMagic February 28th, 2023

@AffyAvo Yep, but it is 16 hours siince my post above, and 17 hours since the duplicates, and they are still showing? @jon7cups @CheeryMango

dupes_1677578020.jpg

CaringEzra March 2nd, 2023

its not letting me post

AffyAvo March 3rd, 2023

@Estrellitaa How so? You posted here, is it an on and off thing? A device/app thing? Not being able to post new threads?

CaringEzra March 3rd, 2023

@AffyAvo createing my own post in student support I keep getting error codes, I have taken all the pictures out so it’s not a picture thing, I have tried it on many devices so it’s not a device thing, I’ll try retyping it later, im really sorrry

AffyAvo March 3rd, 2023

@Estrellitaa No need to be sorry, just wanted to narrow it down a bit so hopefully those who can make the fixes can do so faster ❤️

So issues with making a new thread

PatienceImpatiens March 3rd, 2023

Hi, I don't know who to direct this towards, so putting it here. I am often posting using a handheld, and I've commented here on this thread before on two separate occasions and also checked my settings on my phone to make sure photos are allowed, and I cannot post photos from my handheld. I know this is probably a technical setting, but I wonder if I could at least get a response, like, hey, this isn't a priority, rather than radio silence. Oh, I forgot, maybe you don't know what a radio is! Just a joke! Haha, at least I think I'm funny to myself!

I tried again today, and photo will not upload from a hand held device, even with settings all checked and even with the newest update installed. A response, any response at all, even something that has to be censored, would be nice.

RarelyCharlie March 3rd, 2023

@PatienceImpatiens One way to report a bug is to Submit a request in the Help Center.

I tried to post an image just now, and it failed to upload. No error message. This was using the current 7 Cups app on an up to date Android device. But using the 7 Cups website on the same device, it worked. So it doesn't look like the device is the problem. Possibly a bug in the app.

Charlie

@RarelyCharlie Sure, Rarely, I'll try reporting it to the Help Center per your instructions. I know for a fact it's not just me, because on my plant thread, others had the same difficulty, and it was after my observations backing me up that I made my original post on here.

@RarelyCharlie

Whoops! I mis-spoke. How that last sentence was supposed to read was: it was after other people's observations backing me up, that I made the original post, and each time I have posted, I have checked prior to posting whether it's been fixed and alas.

SweetPea321 March 6th, 2023

Hi. I've been having trouble posting in the forums and one on one chat. I use the app. It's been freezing and putting a ridiculous amount of space in my messages.

SweetPea321 March 6th, 2023

Hello? Is this working? Having trouble posting from the app.