Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

November 2019 Community Update: A Return to Community

GlenM November 18th, 2019

I will be writing a series of monthly posts titled Community Update throughout this year and into 2020. This is the first in the series.

When we first started 7 Cups, we were primarily focused on our community. All we cared about was building a tribe of people that deliberately cared for one another. We were able to maintain this focus from 2013-2016. Then we started running out of money and had to find ways to sustain ourselves. We were successful in that, but it also caused us to lose sight of the importance of our community. We are now, finally, in a spot where we can return to community.

There have been a number of recent changes. I know that it has been difficult. The opportunity in going through change is that it allows you to re-set - or start again - in a new direction that ultimately ends up impacting the trajectory of where you go. Think about this like raising a child. The right teacher or mentor, at the right time, can make a big impact and change the future life of that child as a teen and adult. Knowing that change is an opportunity to re-set does not make it easier, but it does provide a frame to better understand the picture of what is happening.

The first thing we want to do is conduct a deep assessment of our community strengths and weaknesses. What are the things that come natural to us? Where do we excel? What are we uniquely good at? We need answers from all of you on these questions so we can better amplify our strengths.

You typically make much more progress in life by building on your strengths. For example - if you are just okay at playing an instrument, but you are great at writing, then it makes a lot of sense to build up your writing skill, because that will help them get a lot further in life.

We also want to assess our weaknesses. Where are we not performing as well as we need to perform? What are our biggest limitations? What are we unaware of ? The key point of asking these questions is so that we can better understand them so we can then deliberately address them.

How do we address them?

We do it through a system called OKRs or Objectives and Key Results. For example, lets say we want to increase the quality of our emotional support chats. Wed create the following OKR:

Objective: Significantly increase the quality of emotional support chats.
Key Result 1: Increase helpful chats by 5% each month
Key Result 2: Decrease dropped chats - chats where the member or listener stops engaging - by 5% each month.

We have used an OKR system for the last several years. We, by working more closely with the community and community leadership, have an opportunity to align on our objectives to make more progress and better help people. Ill be thinking on how we can best do that in the coming weeks.

In the past times of transition, and in this recent transition, there have been several of you that have been encouraging. You have said things like: I know this has been tough. I appreciate the hard work and know that you and the team are trying. We are getting there one step at a time :). This means a lot to me and to everyone on the team. It fills up our love tank and gives us fuel to keep moving ahead. Thank you!

Throughout 7 Cups history, particularly during transitions, there have also been smaller groups of people that provide feedback in less helpful ways. I believe that they have good intentions, but the style makes it difficult to hear the feedback. I want to step back and provide guidance here on how to best provide feedback so it can be better heard, understood, and acted upon. This is called the sandwich approach:

-Bread - say something positive
-Meat - address the negative issue/item
-Bread - say something positive

When difficult feedback is provided in this way, it makes it much more easier to metabolize (pun intended).

Think of a time when someone has given you feedback. When it comes off as judgemental or angry it is much harder to hear; when it comes off as - I am here to help you, we are on the same team, here are some things you are doing good and here are some items you can do better - then it is much more effective.

Here are a number of things you can do to immediately help:

1. Complete this survey on our strengths and weaknesses. Please take your time and answer thoughtfully.

2. Commit to telling community leaders (community managers, ambassadors, mentors, mentor leaders, peer support, mods etc.) that you appreciate them and the hard work they are doing. I am committing to doing this several times a week and am going to work to make it a habit. We have hundreds of volunteer leaders in our community that work very hard to make 7 Cups a supportive environment. It would be great for them to hear how much they matter to all of us. (and though I'm mentioning different community leaders here; please also be sure to also express appreciation to our kind-hearted listeners. They are also showing a tremendous amount of compassion and service to provide care to all of us.)

3. Post in the 3 key things thread - many of you are doing a tremendous amount of work on 7 Cups and very little people can see it. If you post in this thread, then you can begin to see all the work that is being done AND you can find people to better support in their efforts. This can be 3 key things you did in a day, week, or month. It is meant as a simple way to share what you are doing. For example, today I posted:

-met with community leadership team
-drafted a return to community post
-created survey to better understand community strengths and weaknesses

We will be releasing details on badges soon that will be related to 3 key things.

4. 7 Cups is not going anywhere AND we welcome your beams! Leading 7 Cups all these years has been extraordinarily rewarding. It has also been really tough. There have been a lot of painful bumps in the road. The past is the best predictor of the future, so my guess is that it will continue to be rewarding and, at times, it will also continue to be painful. This has been true for me, for my wife, for our team, for our community leaders, and for our community. If you think, meditate, send good vibes, pray, send beams, and/or well wishes, then we will gladly take any and all of them! I believe this helps and we would collectively welcome the support!

To close this November update, community is a top priority for the remainder of this year and all of 2020. We are focused. We need your help to build on our strengths and shore up our weaknesses. We have come very far since we launched in 2013. We have a long ways to go!

Thank you for being on this journey with me!

GlenM OP November 18th, 2019

@Mannanan very much appreciate the encouraging words and thank you for your help!

Gracey November 18th, 2019

@GlenM

During the course of the last 5 and a half years of being a listener I have seen 7 cups go through the good, the bad and the ugly and somehow this community always seems to pull together ad get through it

Thank you for taking the time to write this post and clarifying the intended direction for 7 cups and how this is going to be achieved !

I am more than proud of each and every person who supports this unique community and I hope we can all work together to create a more inclusive and supportive environment for everyone

Grace x

@Gracey thank you so much for this gracious response! This is uplifting and encouraging. I very much appreciate it!

Sedtzl1 November 19th, 2019

Very well communicated! 😊

OKs

survey

sandwich pos neg pos

encourage leaders

3 things

Im very satisfied to be a member and listener on 7 Cups. So reassuring to be connected any time, any where! 😊 So rewarding when a chat goes well! 😊 Gifts to the member AND the listener! 😊

i have really enjoyed discovering the trainings and plethora of resources.
Thank you for creating this community!
😊@GlenM

lavenderpeach1107 November 18th, 2019

@GlenM Like I said from the beginning... I am with you and 7 Cups ALL THE WAY! This community and everyone apart of it has changed my enitre life. I am able to stay sober and on my positive path because of the friendships and support I have on here! Thank you so much Glen! You have such a beautiful heart.

@lavenderpeach1107, thank you lavender for those very kind words! Thank you also for your commitment. And BIG congrats on sobriety and for building a strong social network. That is exactly what we are all about. Thank you!

lavenderpeach1107 November 19th, 2019

@GlenM Thank you very much! And you're welcome!

SparkyGizmo November 18th, 2019

@GlenM

Thank you for this post! I'm new around here and I for one enjoy communicating. It's a good feeling to know that someone is telling us of their vision for moving forward. I just kind of showed up and it seems like the time that I did, there were some hiccups around here and a great deal of confusion. But, at least I had the listener support room to go to, to get questions answered for me and for my members that were asking some of the questions. The people in the rooms are really nice and helpful. I try to say yes, please and thank you and will continue to do so.

I noticed that the OKR that you mentioned squarely rests on the shoulders of the listener. The listener should give praise to the leaders here. I don't have a problem with that myself. I practice gratitude and often, even in the most creative of ways. I imagine it's a trickle down concept and they are the ones that help to "feed" us (pun not intended but cute none the less).

So, just wondering, is there a program to say kind things to listeners as well if the OKR's kind of start with us?

Anyway, looking forward to future posts. Thanks for giving us a space to help others.

@SparkyGizmo I love the LSR and will be there again tomorrow if you'd like to stop by. And excellent point on expressing gratitude to listeners. I'll add that to the post now. Thank you!

lilmango November 18th, 2019

I must say, again, Im disappointed. This hasnt been the return to community. This has been a takedown of communities. Even the ones that were working hard on creating a supportive safe space. Communities that had a strong sense of purpose among the core mods, listeners, and members. And while the tone of the responses has varied, dismissing the meat because no buns were offered is frankly troubling.

The one bun that I can offer for now is the use of KSPs. I question however to what extent the community has really been involved. I dont see how even the supportive ones were taken down if communities really are the driving force here.

So there, meat, a crumb of bun, meat.

Dawn04 November 18th, 2019

@lilmango I agree completely. So now we're all supposed to praise the leaders who bully everyone else? This has to be a joke.

GretasRebel November 18th, 2019

@GlenM Thank you for continuing for making this place possible! I'm sorry you've receaved such negative and meanspirited comments from people here. People are used to things being a certain way and naturally lash out but there's a better way of addressing change when you're upset about it. I have faith in you and the rest of the staff who have made adjustments and I'm excited what's next to come. Keep up the good work. :)

mytwistedsoul November 18th, 2019

@GretasRebel So what's this better way? Just suck it up and let it go?

I'm sorry but I'm at a loss - NOW our opinions matter?

Where were the questions of what we thought earlier?

GretasRebel November 18th, 2019

@mytwistedsoul I'm at a loss of what you're trying to ask me? Can you rephrase. Btw I'm not interested in continung the argument I somehow got into on another post about this topic. I will just say this. I love 7 cups, I got a few friends here and I'm a long term listener i don't wish to spoil any of what we've all built. Some of those rooms were the most toxic online places I've ever seen it was appalling. And nobody did a thing about it and finally I see someone going in a more positive direction. Sometimes drastic change is necessary even if it hurts. It's like when you're a kid and your parents refused to give you access to more candy or play station. You yell and make a tantrum but they only did it because they care about you. But we never see it in the moment, we resent them because they denied us what gave us comfort.

mytwistedsoul November 18th, 2019

@GretasRebel You said there's a better way of addressing change when you're upset about it. I was just wondering what it was. I am uncomfortable with change. Which is why I asked.

I'm not looking to start an arguement. Tbh - I don't do the chat rooms so don't care about them.

Although as a victim of severe child abuse - I'm probably not the one to talk to about parents.

redmark November 19th, 2019

@GretasRebel Change is necessary and not always pleasant, you are right about that.

It is not the changes that are bothering me necessarily but the way they are implemented. There is not space to provide feedback or even discuss the situation beforehand and as it is usually presented as a decision that has been already made and going to go live very soon. This can really take away the feeling ot control and safety, since you do not know what may be also changed the other day and what new post you will just find about necessary changes that has been already decided and or made.

For me 7Cups is amazing because of the community, because of all of the awesome people putting so much hard work into this place and it is really tough for me to see how this community seems to remain unheard more and more lately - or, actually, not even given a chance to really give an opinion or real feedback in any way since the decision is already made and there is no way to appeal or change it.

TheMadQueen420 November 20th, 2019

@GretasRebel

Are you really comparing people being annoyed because their support network has been lost forever to a child throwing a tantrum over not getting enough sweets? Do you know how many people relied on those rooms for support?

That is not only incredibly dismissive of people's mental health issues (you know, what this site was built around) but borderline offensive.

How dare you.

GretasRebel November 21st, 2019

@TheMadQueen420 I relied on those support rooms too [edited by Anomalia for unsupportive content] I realize businesses change and we have to adjust. Or at least come up with an alternative, engage yourself, come up with creative ideas for this site rather than just giving up!

TheMadQueen420 November 26th, 2019

@GretasRebel

Except our ideas and grievances aren't listened to at all by the admin team.

Even if you mention the changes in any of the remaining rooms (when they're open) you get a warning.

@GretasRebel thank you for those kind words and for the encouragment!

lilmango November 19th, 2019

@GlenM

This response actually confirms how disconnected you truly are from the community. You'd rather engage with a bully than with direct people as long as they are sweet talking to you.

FuturesRise November 19th, 2019

@lilmango

Good morning,

I know it's easy to get frustrated during these changes as many things aren't yet figured out. I believe Glen is trying to engauge with all of us to try to explain to us his vision without alienating anybody. It takes efforts from us all to try being patient (I know, ive lost mine a few times) but let's all give Glen some room to figure this all out, and our ideas, encouragement and support. Together with kindness and mutual respect I think we will have a much better out come. Glen told me he is reading all of our messages again today and has a meeting planned where all of our ideas will be considered. Its really quite promising that some good will come from all this. Think about what you like about 7cups, and also try to think of ways to improve the site. If we all pitch in now and support eachother 7cups can only get easier to use, and have improved communications.

😊

@lilmango this just shows how offended yu are by direct talk maybe you're used to being sugar coated and when you see someone taling straight you get incredibly defensive. I get it. Someone dared to have a different view than you and it's upsetting. I'm not 'sweet talking'' I'm thanking Glen because he has the guts to actually do something constructively. The fact he wrote a big post about this also shows that he cares. I am a bully because I praise the work the 7 cups staff do and because I tell you to give more constructive feedback rather than ''you have ruined everything''? Okay if that makes you feel better. But than again I'm not surprised, I've been called all sorts here just because I told the truth.

Figgy50 November 19th, 2019

@GretasRebel Says the one who called me (and others) a "Snowcone" . How hypocritical of a person on a "support site!! ❀️

Snowflake is a term about some people in our generation who show entitlement and consider themselves super importantetc. it's not meant to be personal rather than an observation and your selfdenial is great. I'm not a hypocrite, I'm offering my thanks to creators of this site and I'm excited for what's in stpore for us here.

Figgy50 November 27th, 2019

@GretasRebel Stop making assumptions about members you dont even know. Stop calling people names. This is supposed to be a support site yet YOU are the one who's calling people names.

GretasRebel November 28th, 2019

@Figgy50 [edited by Anomalia for unsupportive content] Things changed here because things were clearly bad. Try to accept that instead of being insulted by everyone and everything.

frigidstars27 November 28th, 2019

@GretasRebel

Feel like I want to express that something is rubbing me the wrong way about this exchange. This is basically what I'm seeing happen:

1: You are an idiot.
2: Please don't call people names on a support site.
1: Calling you an idiot isn't meant to be taken personally. It's just a word I use to describe people who are objectively stupid and have inferior intelligence.
2: Please don't make assumptions about people. Please don't call people names on a support site.
1: I'm not making assumptions. I'm being truthful based on my observations. Your behavior shows that you really are an idiot, as is the rest of your generation. You're just in denial about the truth that I'm communicating. (Unfortunately, it's a defining characteristic of idiots that they tend to be in denial about how idiotic they are.) Try not to feel so insulted when I call you an idiot.

This may be one of those "agree to disagree" issues where we are a bit too far away in our values or emotional responses to reach a middle ground. But, my reactions are:

1) The mock exchange I've written above isn't too far from what's happening.
I think "snowflake" is an epithet/insult that's at least as offensive or provocative as "idiot".

There's room for disagreement on this though, and I suspect some of the conflict may be because you and other people have different impressions as far as how aggressive this word is.

2) My own impression is that "snowflake" is a personal attack.
In my own experience, "snowflake" is a word that is commonly used to target, bully, and insult people (with or without mental illness) for being too emotionally reactive. People tend to have a strong negative response to it. When someone uses this word, usually the goal is not so much to offer balanced/constructive criticism but rather to launch a malicious/global attack on someone as a human being with the aim of "triggering" (i.e. hurting) that person.

I won't make assumptions about the quality of your intentions, but I will state that this has been my experience of this word and the people who use it in other contexts.

3) My impression is that this exchange has abusive undertones.
To use a word that by its nature and common usage tends to provoke powerful emotional responses--and then turn around and imply that anyone who responds negatively to this word is hypersensitive, and that your behavior has no contribution or causation in stimulating that response--is arguably a form of gaslighting and likely to be experienced by other people as abusive.

4) This is a mental health site.
Insofar as this is a mental health website that attracts and explicitly aims to be safe/hospitable for people who suffer from mental/emotional distress, the points I have mentioned above are probably multiplied by x10 in their strength or importance.

If these points might still be broadly relevant and applicable even in a normal community, they are much more substantive/significant in a mental health community. (Best practice is to not call people on the internet "snowflakes" even if they aren't suffering from mental health issues. But if they do suffer from mental health issues, then it's even more important.)

In terms of the safety vs. freedom dichotomy, a site like this is going to lean much more strongly toward safety in both its rules and its culture. Things that would be normal (or even prized) on other sites might not be acceptable on this site. I completely understand and accept that if I were to go on Reddit and chastise someone for using the word "snowflake", I would probably be aggressively downvoted and ridiculed. People would pile on me (in much the same way that people here are piling on you) to tell me how absurd it is for me to be policing behavior or white-knighting or being a SJW or whatever else.

I would disagree with those critiques, but within that culture/space I would be the one who is out-of-step. Right now, we are on 7Cups. The culture here prioritizes certain values/truths higher than others, and that context matters a great deal. The threshold for what might be considered 'bullying' or 'personal attacks' on this site is probably going to be much lower or more expansive than on a normal/general-use site.

5) This site has rules/guidelines.
Calling another person a "snowflake" risks violating the forum posting guidelines. (Rule #2 prohibits attacking other users.) To borrow some of the language of that rule, I don't consider "snowflake" to be a "constructive" word that "moves the conversation forward".

Note: I will say that I don't approve of people attacking *you* either though. Your experiences, feelings, and thoughts are worthy of consideration as well. I assume you're trying your best and possibly you're experiencing negative reactions to being criticized by so many people. And I imagine you absolutely have your own side that you'd like people to understand and connect with.

It is definitely a matter of subjective interpretation/evaluation as to when criticism goes too far below the belt and becomes 'attacking'. It is something that is always going to be a bit difficult and ambiguous. So, I definitely don't want to pretend as though this is something clear or straightforward to me. (And as I mentioned, if I were to go onto Reddit, my values are probably out of step with those of the general population.)

Validating your perspective

I'm reading your posts as expressing the following:

"I want to bring other people around to a way of thinking that eases their distress and reduces the overall tension/conflict on this site. I don't want people to suffer needlessly. If there's an alternative perspective where people might not feel as hurt/wounded or be as intensely affected, I hope that I can offer that. It feels counterproductive or wasteful to me for people to be hurting if they don't need to and there's an alternative.

This site is only possible because of the work of many people who volunteer and put forth a great deal of effort to try to maintain it. It is difficult to maintain a site like this and people are trying their best and working very hard. (E.g. look at Glen's "3 Key Things" thread listing all of the things that people are doing to make this site possible.) The changes that are occurring are trying to address known problems with the site.

Comments that approach this issue in a way that malign, demonize, or harshly criticize the people who maintain this site are "biting the hand that feeds". There is no obligation for anybody to do anything on this site. Everything is free and offered out of generosity and altruism. If there are shortcomings, areas for critique, or ways in which site changes are harming people, those are valid criticisms. But I'd prefer it if people approached this site in the following spirit: 'This site is being provided by people who if they wanted to could choose not to give me anything. I absolutely dislike things that are happening and have strong feelings about it, but I understand that on a certain level, the people who have created this site don't owe anyone anything. They are offering this site as a free service. If they decided to take down the site or turn it into a trash heap, yes it would be destructive and hurt a lot of people. But from a certain perspective, ultimately it's their site and it's their right to do whatever they want with it.' When I speak of certain perspectives as involving 'entitlement', this is sort of what I'm trying to express."

I feel like your goals are worthwhile. I just don't consider "snowflake" to be a word that has the desired effects relative to those goals. I feel that avoiding that word and acknowledging that other people may feel hurt by it would go a long way toward helping people feel more open/responsive to some of the other thoughts/ideas that you're sharing.

Note: to other people reading this, I know I am largely failing to acknowledge the other perspective that is critical of how recent site changes have been handled, and of the extent to which site management has/hasn't empathized with or validated those concerns in this thread. But this post is already long, and other people have written amazing posts in this thread that have expressed those types of feelings, so I feel okay holding off on that.

GretasRebel November 29th, 2019

@frigidstars27 [edited by Anomalia for unsupportive content]Have a warm tea and rest. xx

frigidstars27 November 30th, 2019

@GretasRebel

"Jesus Christ do you expect anyomne [sic] to read all that?? is there a too long didn't read?"

Yeah, you're definitely right that I do like to write a lot. That's pretty indisputable, lol.

As far as whether I expect people to read it... I don't. I certainly *like* it when people read and understand what I'm saying. But when they don't, there isn't really anything I can do to compel them to do what I want. :) I don't have control over other people's thoughts, actions, or feelings. And that's probably a good thing. Like, I'm happy that you're free to be able to decide not to read my post if that doesn't feel like something you want to do. It means that I have the same freedom to ignore or not respond to your posts if I so choose. (In this situation, I'm choosing to respond because I want to.)

To mirror what you have been saying, the world does not revolve around me. In this situation, I completely agree with the values you're expressing that are disavowing entitlement. (Though of course there is an alternative/competing set of values that respects compassion, sensitivity, empathy, and the fact that people sometimes feel unhappy and are helped by people being willing to make sacrifices or give things... but I'm bracketing those feelings off to the side for the purposes of the present interaction.)

My own version of the "anti-entitlement" set of values in their application to this situation would be:

"I am not entitled to have other people read my posts or understand them or respond to me in a particular way, other than respecting me relative to the expectations and rules of this forum. If other people read what I have to say and respond positively or find it meaningful, then that is wonderful. But, I don't have a natural right to that. If other people decide they want to ignore my posts, they have a right to do that, and they aren't doing anything wrong if they do that. I might feel a bit sad or unhappy about that, but it is understandable from their side, and the only options I have are to either accept it, strategically write my posts differently in a way that is more likely to receive positive attention, or remove myself from the situation if it feels like wasted effort."

So yes--if I ignore all of the feelings/perspectives that I am bracketing off, the part of me that I am choosing to pay attention to and embody right now agrees with your values re: entitlement. Something that I could have done a better job of expressing in my original post is that... I really don't think we're that far away from one another in terms of our thinking.

That being said... part of my post was that I also wanted to express that I wasn't happy with what you were doing. I didn't want to respond in a way that made it seem like I was completely placating or appeasing you or bowing down to what you were doing. That felt to me like it would come across as disrespectful to all of the people who your posts have wounded or offended. (And since this isn't a private/one-on-one interaction between the two of us, I feel like I want to be mindful of the fact that other people apart from you might be reading my words and might be affected by them. Perhaps if I were your listener, I would be a bit more focused on trying to value your perspective to the exclusion of other people's perspectives.)

I really did think that some of your actions on here have been improper. And I really wanted to point that out and bring attention to the specific issues I had with your posts, and express my critique in a targeted/specific way (i.e. please don't call people "snowflake").

In general, I really felt a strong desire to intervene, whatever the reason might have been... whether it was to protect other people, to "put you in your place", exact vengeance (hehe), or express support for people who have been affected by your actions. Some of those motivations are much more benign or lead to better results than others. In any event, I acted upon some/all of those feelings.

I felt like it was appropriate for me to be a bit forceful. But at the same time, I also felt like I was able to justify and provide adequate support for all of my complaints about what you were doing. I wanted to express myself in a careful way where a reasonable but skeptical person who isn't predisposed to agree with me might be able to read my post and come around to understanding and finding some solidarity with my perspective.

It's debatable whether any of that expression was worthwhile. It's not what I normally do. Like you said, the alternative is to ignore you, give up on interacting with you, assume that you are hopeless/beyond saving, and just go on my way and live my own life happily. I don't know whether writing that post was the right choice, or if it was wasted effort. But I felt like it was a worthwhile thing to experiment with. If nothing else, it is more data for me to absorb.

My goal is to grow into becoming a sort of prolific listener on this site who does dozens/hundreds of chats and able to do that efficiently/effectively. Right now, I'm not doing that because... stuff like this happens and it's challenging to deal with. In the course of doing listening, I expect that I am going to interact with many people like you. I want to be able to handle those situations effectively with minimal stress. I currently don't know how to. I consider my interactions with you right now to be experimentation that will feed into those future endeavors. I'm just curious to see what happens.

(And if this all goes horribly and I am just wasting my time, then that is just more data that I can learn from, and over the long-term things will self-correct and progressively become more optimal. If it turns out that it isn't worth my time, then at some point in the future I'll have absorbed that lesson through direct experience and will adapt so that I don't waste my time in a similar way if this type of situation happens again. I expect I'll have many more opportunities in the future to try other options.)

"You sure are upset. Have a warm tea and rest."

If I'm being honest, yes I was somewhat upset. Though, I'm not sure if I was as upset as you might imagine me to have been.

There were certainly earlier drafts of that post I wrote that were much more vitriolic or venomous and were frankly much more hell-bent on trying to eviscerate you. But what ended up happening was that as I wrote, after I got a lot of my feelings out of my system, I started feeling like I wanted to lean more and more toward understanding your side. It was like my original feelings had been processed and I felt "understood" just by virtue of the awareness I had toward myself in the act of writing them.

So I started softening a lot of what I had originally written. I started moving toward the other pole of feeling like I was potentially being unfair to you, misunderstanding where you were coming from, and wanting to make sure that I wasn't hurting you in the course of pursuing my own emotional agenda. Ultimately, I ended up adding an entire section where I started trying to understand where you were coming from.

I'd say that as far as the end product is concerned... I felt pretty good/peaceful at the time that I posted it. I felt satisfied that I had expressed all of my thoughts and feelings as well as I could. And I felt satisfied that I had done something pretty impressive by managing to somewhat successfully bridge all of the different perspectives that I had decided I wanted to be sensitive to:

* Respecting site management
* Respecting you
* Respecting people attacked by you
* Respecting my own feelings

The fact that I was trying to juggle all of these different voices and accommodate so many different people simultaneously also partly (but not completely) accounts for the length. It is hard to do that in a concise way. The bigger and more complicated the picture, the more words that are needed to capture it without "slighting" or being uncharitable to one of the many sides or stakeholders in the situation. Maybe it is not worth the effort, but I felt like it was worth attempting.

I expect for you to laugh at me or mock me if I share that I spent a fair amount of time/care rewriting and trying to craft that post. If I'm honest, I actually wrote about 3x as much text as what I actually posted. I spent a few hours culling it down and refining it until I was happy with it. You can criticize that decision and say that it was worthless or a waste of my time. But ultimately in the end, that was my choice and I take responsibility for it. Whether it made me happier or less happy, whether it helped other people or made things worse, it was something I decided to do and I bear the consequences of having done it.

You can say that I am thinking too much about something that wasn't a big deal or doesn't matter, but I always learn a lot from thinking about things like this. (Sometimes when I examine small/microcosmic situations like this, I end up learning things that are generalizable/universalizable to other situations or that can feed into a broader/macrocosmic worldview.)

I don't feel distressed right now. I feel energized by all of the intricacies and complexities of this situation, as if I were solving a puzzle. And I feel empowered to be able to take something so complicated and describe all of those facets.

Re: your concern for me being upset... I will say that if you are a person who values my mental health and cares about easing my feelings of upset, something you could do to help me would be to express that it is okay/acceptable for me to write a lot if that is what I want to do. (And that wouldn't in any way obligate you to *read* anything that I write.) I will write regardless of whether you think well of it, and I can live with a situation where other people disapprove of what I'm doing. (I just won't share writing with them or expect anything from them if it's unrealistic.) But, if other people are okay with what I'm doing, it makes things so much easier and more comfortable and probably makes me much happier in the long run. I don't have a *right* to other people's approval and nobody owes it to me, but I certainly *benefit* from it if other people do happen to feel inclined to do that.

Writing is something I usually enjoy doing. (When I don't enjoy doing it, I don't do it.) In this case, I had feelings I wanted to express. I didn't like seeing the way that you were treating other people in this thread. And I felt like I might have a specific perspective that I could offer that might be helpful. Or maybe it would help me expand/develop my perspective further. So, it felt like a win-win (i.e. immediate emotional catharsis + personal growth + possible benefit to others).

I took a risk and I'm satisfied with having done that. My self-care rituals are adequate enough that I feel I'm able to sufficiently "tank" whatever stress these interactions with you might be causing. So yeah, I dig it... I feel like I know what I'm doing. :p

GretasRebel November 29th, 2019

@frigidstars27 I scrolled through quickly and caught my eye on comparing being a snowflake to being an idiot. That's not what it means. It means someone who gets offended too quickly by pretty much everything. I repeat, being a snowflake is not equal to being an idiot. Our generation has raised many snowflakes, people who feel entitled that the world owes them everything and that everyone should carter their needs 24/7. Many snowflakes are indeed interesting intelligent people. It's down to your own interpretation that you took it so negatively. I am baffled by the entitlement here. basically ''I'm so special that 7 cups ought to be my personal slave and not change no matter what''. It is healthy taking a step back and actually taking a deep breath realizing running a business is tough.

Figgy50 November 30th, 2019

@GretasRebel You seem to be "ENTITLED" to call people "Snowflakes" in posts 🀣🀣🀣

@GretasRebel

Have one point of clarification. I wasn't saying that "snowflake" and "idiot" mean the same thing. I was saying that calling someone a "snowflake" is about as inflammatory as calling someone an "idiot".

melonMeloncholy November 29th, 2019

@frigidstars27 - Regardless of the person's reply, you have done a beautiful job detailing why this exchange is bothersome. Thank you.

wizeakre November 29th, 2019

@melonMeloncholy

@frigidstars27 I agree with melon. You have beautiful empathy, balance, and thoughtfulness in your words.

@melonMeloncholy @wizeakre

Thank you both very much for the support. <3

Figgy50 November 30th, 2019

@GretasRebel You know NOTHING about me, and my "snowflake generation." I'm just curious. How old do you *assume* I am? LOL you probably picked the wrong generation.
From reading your past posts, its apparent your own generation lacks Logic and Common Sense. Again, may I call out your calling people you disagree with "Snowflakes" on a "support site"πŸ€”
If I'm insulted by anything, its your assumptions about people you dont know.
Sure.. I still have my membership active but it's not my "Savior" like it is yours, since you seem to love it so much in your posts. πŸ€”
[edited by Anomalia for unsupportive content]

@NoneTheWiser you're getting ahead of yourself. You have no idea the type of listener I am so you can't really say anything cedible about that :) No none of my members have displayed such snowflake attitude. I respect people who are generous and grateful. The moment you start feeling entitled like 7 cups owes you something I'm out. This is a volunteer service, people do this in their free time. And your long post shows just how not neutral you are. Have a lovely day x

@NoneTheWiser lol? You find it disturbing this site is not censoring me? This is not Saudi Arabia I have a rigt to express myself as have you. I'm sorry you feel I'm wanting to put you down. I have no reason to.

melonMeloncholy November 29th, 2019

@NoneTheWiser - Thank you for your attempts at explaining why others are perceiving this person's words as bullying. Regardless of what this person has replied, your time writing these posts is appreciated. Thank you.