Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

It's Not Your Fault

Heather225 September 12th

It’s not your fault.

What has happened to you is not your fault.

The challenges and hardships you’ve endured at the hands of someone else are not a reflection of your character. The harm that’s been done is not a testament to your worth.

I can say this because I’ve been there, too.

I wrestled with self-loathing for years. I was raised in a toxic abusive environment by parents who were not equipped for the job. They fought relentlessly with the use of emotional warfare with no regard for what I heard and what they subjected me to. I was helpless to do anything to stop the hostility. It was over my head. They used threats I could not hope to understand until I was an adult.

Only after gaining distance from them both could I look back on that part of my life and piece together the puzzle I hadn't been able to see when I was stuck in the middle of it. Unfortunately, once I put it together and viewed the full picture, I started blaming myself for all the things that I believed that maybe, just maybe, I could have prevented, if I just said this, or did that.

What if I had just been more assertive? What if I had just said no?

What if, what if, what ifs ruled my thoughts, clouding my judgment, and instead of being the closest friend I needed to be, to the inner child relying on me, I was making an enemy out of myself.

I did quite a bit of soul-searching, but the reality is it took people around me—external voices—who heard my story to give me perspective and show me that I was hurting myself.

You were a child. How were you supposed to know? 

It hit home. I was a child. Accepting that was hard but in doing so, I took the first step to forgive myself for the pain I put myself through.

The sky opened, and a shower of catharsis washed over me. For the first time, I felt this wonderful freeing thing called validation. 

Feeling validated roused this sense of empowerment and ignited a newfound curiosity to find out if I was not as alone as I led myself to believe through my pain-driven isolation. I sought out to hear other stories. I listened to countless cases of similar suffering and as heartbreaking as it was to hear them, it was deeply soothing to realize that I am not alone. Not at all. I just needed to open up and talk.

By recognizing that I was a survivor, I could release the unnecessary burden of guilt, shame, and self-hatred.

I can’t begin to know what you’re going through, but what I do know is that you are not responsible for the actions others have taken.

For whoever needs to hear this: you did only what you knew how to do. You did the best you could with what you had.

Sometimes, bad things happen to good people, and there’s nothing you could have done to avoid it. It's okay to acknowledge that and to give yourself grace.

You can’t change your past, but as they say, “hindsight is 20/20.” You are accountable for one person: you. Let go of what you think you could have done, and focus on what you can do now, and you’ll find glimmers of hope where there weren’t before.

You may even find some of those glimmers right here in our community.

It’s not your fault. Don’t be afraid to break the cycle and cut yourself loose because you will not fall. We will be waiting here to catch you. It’s one of the bravest most empowering things you could ever do.

-

To those who are struggling, I hope reading this brings you comfort, and return to this post whenever you need a reminder to practice self-compassion. 💙

Sunisshiningandsoareyou September 12th

@Heather225

This is so heart-felt, H.🥹❤

Ive kinda lost all words, this is just so beautiful and something everyone should hear and hear often. Thank youuu for being the brave one, and for sharing. Sending all the glitter sparkles of comfort and safe love to little-you.✨❤✨

chibird-love.gif

CrescentSkylar September 12th

@Heather225

Thank you for this

Heather225 OP Monday

@CrescentSkylar

you're very welcome 🥰

Conflicts September 12th

@Heather225, I'm sorry but it is my fault, it's always my fault

I don’t know what happened but remember we’re humans and we’re bound to make mistakes. It might take a while to learn from them but hey we’re human. I hope you get better ❤️

Conflicts Monday

@eternalHeart2708 thank you, but I make terrible mistakes and I don't think all humans bound to it

FamilyMan242 September 12th

@Heather225 thank you for sharing, to your point, persons in similar situations tend to think they are the only ones, I have struggled with this illusion, however I am actively working to get out of it, thanks to those who are around me.

Heather225 OP Monday

@FamilyMan242

i am glad to hear you're actively trying to break the illusion and that you seem to have a support system to help! i am also pulling for you!

hi66666 September 12th

@Heather225

thank u u don't know how much this means to me 

Heather225 OP September 12th

@hi66666

I'm so glad to hear it. 🥰

LittleBirdie30 September 12th

@Heather225 Proud of you, H ❤️

AnnaSilverberg September 13th
@Heather225

It takes a lot of strength to show our vulnerability,
but here, you do so in such a compassionate and 
genuine way, as well as bringing such a strong
and supportive message at the same time. 

Thank you so much for sharing your story,
I know how it feels to blame ourselves,
to rather focus on the fault being ours,
when it truly never wasn't to begin with.
You deserve all the wonderful magic
that can be found within this world.
You are a kind, caring and a truly
wonderful person, you are magic!
✨💙✨
✨ 
reliableeagle6670 September 13th

@Heather225

Well said! Thank you!

Heather225 OP Monday

@reliableeagle6670

thank you so much! means a lot ❤️

tryingtosurvive2024 September 13th

Life is not a tame animal.  Really, all you can do in life is the best you can.  Thank you for writing this.

Heather225 OP Monday

@tryingtosurvive2024

life is not a tame animal - that's such a truth. thanks for sharing and for reading

@Heather225  There is a saying that hurting people, hurt people.  It takes someone who can break the circle.  Your post sounds like you broke the circle of pain in your life.  :)

YourCaringConfidant September 13th

@Heather225 I'm 6 hours late reading this, but I'm so glad I seen this. Reading your story really touched my heart. ♡ I applaud you for being brave and sharing that with all of us here. I'm sure it's something many of us can relate to. Looking at you, I see someone who is strong and inspiring. I wholeheartedly believe everything happens for a reason and everything we go through contributes to us being the person we are. You are truly a remarkable person and I'm happy you broke the cycle. I'm happy you were able to learn to forgive so your life can blossom. I'm proud of you and I want you to always know how amazing you are. Sending you the biggest hug your way! ♡

hug.gif

blueLemon6419 September 13th

"Let go of what you think you could have done, and focus on what you can do now." Thank you so much for sharing this. 

Heather225 OP Monday

@blueLemon6419

it's my pleasure. and thank you - i hope those words help!

tranquilShell4666 September 13th

@Heather225 Thank you for reminding me to do so, much love 💜

Heather225 OP Monday

@tranquilShell4666

you're welcome. we're in this together 🤝 ❤️

Brightwords12 September 13th

@Heather225

I am speechless. I can relate so much. thank you so much for sharing such heartflet and comforting post. 

It gave me strength to today🌹

Heather225 OP Monday

@Brightwords12

your response is the exact reason why i wrote this, to know that someone relates in a way that will make them feel stronger and more motivated. i hope my words carry you and summon that strength back whenever you need it 🥰

Brightwords12 Tuesday

@Heather225

Aww 😭 

Thank you 🥰

Redirecting September 13th

Such a timely post. Bless you and all of those here who need a warm hug and reassurance.

Heather225 OP 2 days ago

@Redirecting

thank you so much! sending hugs your way 🥰

CatListener September 13th

Lovely message.

Heather225 OP 2 days ago

@CatListener

thank you, I appreciate that!

justadude2talkto September 13th

@Heather225 I appreciate what you are trying to say.  It is important for people to understand this.  What I would like you to understand though is that there are people that don't want to be the victim.  The want to be viewed and accepted as the very strong person that they are.  They only want to be on here for people to reinforce the fact......the absolute fact.....that they own who they are.  The people that talk to me just need, maybe one person, to tell them they are amazing.  They don't need me, or you....they just need someone.

alysianna September 13th

@Heather225

thanks heather i am legit going through this currently and have to worry that when i move out(next year) i am  having to leave my ASD2 bro and my sister behind  and  j atleast have the external voices and am moving in with one of them and there family my sister is to scaared to tell anyone and seeing as how THE SCHOOL wont do anything for me who is a highscholer untiil it ges PHYICAL as apparently MENAL abuse OF 3PPL is not enough  i gave up trying to get her to tell anyone and she has no support group at school of kids like i do as her school wont do ASD or VI so she cant even find a group till at EARLIEST next schhol yrear when she goes to middle school and that is if she gets lucky and there is and ASD or VI kids in her class as b/c of the 6 yr age gap my parents wont let her hang/talk  to my ppl who when she dose she fits in with and that was one of my former nyrotypical ones and a VI ASD kid

IsabelMendoza September 13th

Thank you @Heather225

My situation was a bit different, but I can definitely relate to some points, and I will keep this in mind for sure:

"For whoever needs to hear this: you did only what you knew how to do. You did the best you could with what you had.

Sometimes, bad things happen to good people, and there’s nothing you could have done to avoid it. It's okay to acknowledge that and to give yourself grace.

You can’t change your past, but as they say, “hindsight is 20/20.” You are accountable for one person: you. Let go of what you think you could have done, and focus on what you can do now, and you’ll find glimmers of hope where there weren’t before.

You may even find some of those glimmers right here in our community.

It’s not your fault. Don’t be afraid to break the cycle and cut yourself loose because you will not fall. We will be waiting here to catch you. It’s one of the bravest most empowering things you could ever do."

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS September 13th

@Heather225

H, you are one of the most kindest and supportive people that I have ever come across. Thank you for a post that reached deep inside and shared your story with us in a way that makes sense to many people who experienced a difficult upbringing or experience in their lives. You are amazing and thank you for guiding many people who might be struggling to see what happened to them, is not their fault. 

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
healingsoul4892 September 13th

@Heather225

wow, reading your story is really something. I keep coming back to this saying that has always helped me ever since I first found it: "I was doing the best I could at the time with what I knew." its a gentle reminder that we all act with the understanding we have in the moment and we need to cut ourselves some slack. Your words are hitting home for me and they really bring a sense of calm💙

sending you lots of hugs🤗

teddybear-ahugforyou.gif

@healingsoul4892

Such a caring reminder for self.🤗 Go youuu!💖

Theofficialcockroach September 13th

@Heather225 i really needed to hear this, thank you

@Theofficialcockroach

moti-hearts.gif

Fuechsin Friday

@Heather225

Wow, thank you for sharing this with us. The way you portray your learnings from what you've been through is really empowering. It takes a lot to be able to reflect that openly, and to be that vulnerable openly.

I'm sure there are many people who need to hear this. Hopefully, they will gain some energy and strength from this to be able to take care of their inner child, just like you seem to have been able to do more now.

Heather225 OP 2 days ago

@Fuechsin

this means means so much to me ❤️ thank you

Thankyou for this. It really makes some of us feel so good and like less burdened. Thankyou @Heather225 and @soulsings for always being the most awesome people you're.