Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Who is your hero?

GlenM January 4th

A year or so ago I was working on this talk. In that talk, I was highlighting people I admired like Gandhi, MLK Jr., and Mother Teresa.  I feel like they were shining lights that pointed in the right direction. They are looked up to by most people in our global community.

One of the evaluators met with me and started saying very negative things about each of these people. She really didn’t like them. I know all of us are complex - we all have good, neutral, and bad parts of ourselves. None of us are perfect. Still, however, even with their challenges, quirks, and idiosyncrasies, I maintained that they were heroes.

She strongly disagreed. I then asked her "okay, who are your heroes?" She sat there stunned. Baffled. She thought and thought and thought. Then she looked up to me and said I don’t have any heroes. It was my turn to be stunned. I couldn’t believe it. I said you don’t admire anyone? She flatly said “no” and suggested I was naive for believing that humanity can have heroes. 

Here is how Wikipedia defines a hero:

A hero (feminine: heroine) is a real person or a main fictional character who, in the face of danger, combats adversity through feats of ingenuity, courage, or strength. The original hero type of classical epics did such things for the sake of glory and honor. Post-classical and modern heroes, on the other hand, perform great deeds or selfless acts for the common good instead of the classical goal of wealth, pride, and fame. The antonym of hero is villain.[1] Other terms associated with the concept of hero may include good guy or white hat.

I’m writing this post because I think it is important for us to have heroes. They are human like us, but somehow able to walk past the muck and free themselves from the shackles that capture most of us. They see beyond the immediate and share a vision of a much better future. They inspire, motivate us, and speak to our better angels. 

The following is a scale put together by an old writer called David Hawkins. He was attempting to create a scale of consciousness that helped to capture much of what has been written in the wisdom literature. People with higher levels of consciousness experience expanded awareness and inner peace, while those with lower levels may be navigating through various challenges and complexities.

There have been many criticisms of his thinking and this scale in general. I agree with many of them. To me, it isn’t important how he found these levels, but whether or not they are a directionally correct or helpful way of looking at human behavior. I think it is a helpful tool or guide for personal growth and development.

People that are in pain often feel like they are in the lower levels. I see trauma or distress or unresolved issues as weights that keep a person down. We want to float up like an air balloon and become stronger and more compassionate, but we have these sandbags on us that keep us down. When we heal, we cut those sandbags and find ourselves moving up the scale.

Pragmatically, I think it would be possible for us as a community (or even more broadly) to map public figures from throughout history and even now to this scale. I’d argue that a few of my heroes mentioned above (Gandhi, Mother Teresa, and MLK) would be near the top of the scale. And if enough of us voted, then I’d think we’d see people start to see votes cluster in certain areas.

3QHd-UNKQjQdS4lTLhPr2EwsBKKq22a2gpw3bmG3IHOuxPfkhRHmFOHbOcnJ3Li3KuEXXfZEhseGUp7Tp22yMdjqVsQQcZopuxtFjFZ_3VyB2sVDIogkjl5befOMIOrixfvRu-FELO-qLCS6LZw4XHA

Why am I focusing on heroes? I think heroes are an accessible way for us to understand the power compassionate people can have on the world. Hawkins would argue that the higher one goes up this scale, the more true they are or the more integrity they have, and therefore they have a bigger impact. Enlightened people like MLK didn’t have a big marketing or propaganda budget. His ideas had to stand or fall on the merits. And his ideas soared and caused a society to rally behind him.

Truth is durable, strong, inspirational, and unifying. Things that survive for a long time tend to be true. Lies have a short shelf life. They are fleeting, weak, draining, and cause division.

On this scale, it seems like the more humility one has (the less ego) the more one moves up the scale. This is an important distinction because many scales or lists emphasize people with the most money, power, or fame for example.

We understand that not everyone indeed has a clear-cut hero in their life. Maybe you haven't met someone who embodies what you admire, or maybe you haven’t identified a hero that could be a past, present, or historical figure. But that doesn't mean a hero doesn't exist for you! It just means that you might not have thought of them yet. Imagine your hero. What makes them stand out? Don't worry about finding them in the real world just yet. Just share what you can.

We need heroes now more than ever. It is a time for increased awareness and clarity. It is good and noble for us to find and champion heroes. They speak to us today and they show us a better path forward. 

I’d like to better understand our community’s heroes. I think they would tell us a lot about us. Please share any thoughts, ideas or recommendations below and here are some questions to consider to help us better understand your heroes. 

Who are your heroes? Can be personal (like friends or family), in the past (historical figures), present or even fictional.

Do you have a picture or video that you can share here?

Why do you admire them (1-3 sentences)?

Where would you put them on the above scale? 

KatePersephone January 4th

@GlenM

Who are your heroes? my former partner.

Why do you admire them (1-3 sentences)? because he manages to get through life and keep being kind even after all the bad things he went through.

i think i would put him on the reason and integrity part of the scale.

GlenM OP January 4th

@KateDoskocilova sounds like a great person that inspired you with their ability to persevere, be hopeful, and keep pushing ahead despite real challenges. An overcomer! Thank you for sharing :)

slowdecline48 January 4th

I am also critical of Hawkins' scale of heroism...I won't go on a tangent here. Suffice it to say that it is entirely subjective, but I get the impression that Hawkins (but maybe not you) presents it as an epistemologically valid construct for ranking human worth or achievement.

I  could also go into reasons why Mother Teresa--& Gandhi, even more so--were not heroic at all & don't deserve the adulation they get from their respective cult followings. But this is not the place to go into that, particularly since some of Gandhi's record may have "triggers" for some of us here. Teresa was most generous in her way, yes...however, her legacy is mixed at best.

To be honest, I don't think hero worship is something that mature people should engage in. It is a pastime for children, not adults. To have an example to admire is fine. Making someone into a "hero" is taking it too far. In its purest & most extreme form hero worship is a kind of idolatry, where people who haven't developed their own personalities need a demigod to put on a pedestal/imitate/venerate/etc. Such misguided folks abandon whatever critical faculties they have when they find their hero; inevitably whatever flaws the "hero" has are ignored, airbrushed over or portrayed with the most positive spin possible. Gandhi is a notable example of how the process works.

GlenM OP January 4th

@slowdecline48 thank you for sharing your thoughts here. I think the scale is a nice way of showing a spectrum of attitudes and behaviors and how they impact others. 

I agree that all of us are "mixed." None of us are perfect and that is a hard truth for folks to deeply understand. Often times people that are idolized make mistakes and then people de-idealize them. It can be a very black and white process. These people are great or they make a mistake and now they are horrible. As you indicate, we all have good, neutral and bad parts of ourselves. 

I also think it is important to have lots of space for variation here. I admire those folks but it sounds like you think less highly of them (and thanks for not going on tangents as likely less helpful). Do you have people that you do admire, respect, or think are good examples for humanity to follow? People that inspire you?

One last thought is to zoom out and see this as a spectrum. I agree and don't think that hero worship is good. However, I do think that the ability to admire folks that make a positive impact in the world is a good thing to do. I think we need heroes to look up to so we can also be inspired to leave the world a better place. 

slowdecline48 January 5th

Yes, there are a few who I respect & admire. Winston Churchill is one. Sure he was contemptuous of the Indians, but many Brits were when he was alive. Prejudice against some kind of outgroup was the default mentality of just about everybody from the Paleolithic up to maybe the early 1950's (& still is in parts of the world outside the West), so Churchill's attitude should be no surprise. And Churchill was still the only major political figure to 1] perceive how dangerous H|tl@r was at an early date, & 2] had the gumption to rally his nation when it was being plastered by Germany's bombers.

FDR is another...actually I admire both Roosevelt presidents but for different reasons. They are two of a handful we've had who are worthy of respect...more than can be said for anyone we've had in the Oval Office in recent years, that's for sure. I tend to admire men who, when they have clout, do something constructive with it instead of just holding onto power &/or trying to get more of it.

I respect Martin Luther King Jr. Though I disagree with pacifism for moral reasons, I still gotta give King credit for following his principles even when most of the United States--including, in the later years of his life, some of the African-American community--was against him & his activism for his own people. He had tremendous courage of a certain kind.

One more figure: Hannibal Barca. I don't greatly admire him as a human being but I do respect his generalship & achievements in the field, even though Carthage was ultimately beaten by Rome. More than one historian has said Hannibal was the most frighteningly effective opponent the Romans ever faced, & I agree. The guy was a tactical genius & he knew how to lead & motivate his men. If the Carthaginian government had given him more support after he marched through the Alps & led his army into the Italian peninsula, it's possible that Rome could've lost the war. Western civilization might be quite different today if that had been the case.

slowdecline48 January 5th

Hannibal's greatest victory was the battle of Cannae.

GlenM OP January 5th

@slowdecline48 this was the one I was going to research more. Any good movies or even clips from youtube you recommend?

GlenM OP January 5th

@slowdecline48 great examples of leadership, strength and strategy! You seem to be a historian. I don't think many people can quickly come up with examples and details like this. I'm interested in learning more based on what you've highlighted here.

And, again, great ways of highlighting that none of these folks (or anyone else!) is perfect, but they all did have significant impacts and were dedicated to making a difference. 

Any good movies you recommend on these folks?

slowdecline48 January 6th

@GlenM 😆 Am not a professional historian but the flattery is nice, thanks. I'm just a geek about military & religious history. There are quite a few of us out there, particularly in the US...perhaps because American education is often deficient in that way, compared to what most European students learn. Very few high schools teach about anything before 1776, & certain political trends have ruined much higher education in our universities...but I digress.

Given the subject, I'm not gonna post any links in a thread here because we're in Cups-Land. If you go to YouTube University--who doesn't these days?--there are a number of good videos on the Battle of Cannae. Lindybeige (if you like British narrators); Historymarche has a whole series of videos about it; Aditu Laudis has one; Epimetheus has one that provides the background events leading up to Cannae as well as the battle itself; etc. Whatever you do, please do not look up anything on the HISTORY channel (note the caps)--either its YT channel or television. A pack of fools made it worthless for real information a while back. When it posted a clip about space aliens building the Pyramids of Egypt...🤦‍♂️ Ditto for the channel "Without History"...let's just say the channel's name has an accuracy that the people running it never intended.

Timeline - World History Documentaries is also a good YT source.

Having said all that, there is no substitute for books by good competent authors. If you want a real education in history of any kind, you have to find it & read. I recommend "Cannae: Hannibal's Greatest Victory" by Adrian Goldsworthy. Far as I know, it's still in print...Amazon & ABEbooks should have copies. If this interests you...then welcome to the rabbit hole. 😁

GlenM OP January 9th

@slowdecline48 thanks for the recommendations! will check out the Goldsworthy book and let you know what I think!

HealingTalk January 4th

@GlenM

Helen Keller (1880 – 1968)

When Helen was 19 months old, she was afflicted by an illness unknown at that time (most probably curable today), which left her deaf and blind. She also became mute due to her deafness.

Despite these seemingly insurmountable challenges, she learned to read and write, she studied up to University, and graduated with honors (the first deaf and blind person in history to do so).

Having attained all these immense achievements, she devoted her entire life wholeheartedly to noble causes, becoming a powerful voice, an influential intellectual, and a great writer, who traveled all the world advocating for human rights, economic justice and the rights of women and of people with disabilities

On the scale of "levels" or virtues, she was the embodiment of the Will to improve overcoming any challenge, no matter what, she cultivated Acceptance as a base to move forward despite her challenges, she developed Reason to a very high degree as a powerful intellectual, she had a massive Love for humanity and particularly for the less favored people of this so unfair world, and she promoted Joy as something achievable by people facing any challenge. I think she attained a great level of Peace by living a life totally aligned with her values. And no doubt she was a most Enlightened being.

I wrote a thread about her some time ago (if you are interested, click HERE)

hellen-keller_1704397222.jpg

Helen at 8 years of age, with her extraordinary teacher Anne Sullivan (another hero....)

GlenM OP January 4th

@HealingTalk what a great summary! A brilliant person and shining example to us all. I hadn't read this old post you linked to. Very inspired by her quotes so I'm dropping them here because I think they capture her thinking and are very insightful.  

Some reflections by Helen Keller taken from her books and speeches:

“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much”

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision."

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."

"Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything wise in this world."

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold."

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened."

"Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose."

“You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is ever lost.”

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

"When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don’t see the one that has opened for us."

“It is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.”

"Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye."

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow."

“What I'm looking for is not out there, it is in me.”

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.”
HealingTalk January 4th

@GlenM

Thank you, Glen, for your appreciation, for reading that old and long post, and for copying her quotes.

Now that I read them again, it strikes me how aligned those insights are with the spirit, vision, and mission of 7 Cups!

A great quote for individual Listeners:

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

And as a Community:

“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much”

GlenM OP January 5th

@HealingTalk your write-up gave me a deeper appreciation of her life and work. If we are in the HK stream on things, then I feel even more bullish on our ability to make a positive impact 💪!

And great quote for listeners. The little things can have huge impacts on another person's life trajectory. That is one thing I love about listening. Someone needs help at a critical juncture, a listener is there, they feel heard, and they change directions. 10 years later they are on an entirely different life path because that listener showed up. High impact!

Heather225 January 4th

The topic of heroes is so interesting and important to me because it's such a spectrum. Heroes can literally be anyone you look up to, who you'd like to be more like, or even just someone who's overcome adversity or challenges you may be facing, giving you hope for your situation. When we see heroes achieve the seemingly impossible, it plants a seed of belief within us. Their journeys remind us that our own limitations are often self-imposed, and that with dedication and perseverance, we can reach for and achieve our own extraordinary goals. For me, it's all about those "relatable" heroes, the ordinary to the extraordinary, who've shown me what's possible and inspired me to strive for the qualities they possess. They're not superheroes. They may not even consider themselves heroes, but they make me want to do better and help guide my compass when I feel lost, I think, "what would they do?" It helps every time!

GlenM OP January 4th

@Heather225 love the emphasis on "relatable" ; I think that is really important - they feel real and accessible. And I like your idea of asking " what would they do?" <-- very smart! I can see how that would help elevate thinking. Like maybe the initial reaction is to do or say something less helpful or positive and then this question would help you level up and say something that is more helpful and positive.

HealingTalk January 4th

@Heather225

So true! I totally agree and have the same feeling every day.

Right here, many Members I have known in one-on-one chats, particularly long-term members, are the most inspiring heroes to me. 

Their life stories of overcoming great challenges, and working with much effort on themselves to heal and flourish as the most amazing, wonderful persons they are, greatly move me and inspire me.

There are for sure many, many heroes like them in this Community. Uncountable heroes. Most, only their Listeners will know as such.

My feeling is that every single person I meet in Cups might be a hero in their own way, deserving not only of my utmost respect but also my deepest admiration.

SparkyGizmo January 7th

@Heather225

I love your response to this post H! 😊 ❤️ It makes me feel good that I'm not the only one that does this, sees things this way. 

I have had many moments on the platform where I have thought "what would they do"? in regard to some of my hero's here on the site and situations that I have encountered. Not only that, I have thought "what would they want for me to do"?

What is it that we would do if no one were watching in difficult circumstances? Easy way, feel good way, "knee jerk reaction" way, wrong way or sometimes the harder way, responding as opposed to reacting and holding strong to doing what it is that should be done, the right thing to do even if it can be a bit painful because it was the right thing to do while being misunderstood. 

Many moments in the past I have envisioned 2 of my biggest hero's on 7 cups, one sitting on the right shoulder and one sitting on the left. What would they want for me to do if they were right here with me, watching each key stroke? Implied presence and envisioning some of your hero's there with you can be a powerful motivator. Makes it a lot easier to move forward and do the right thing no matter what and helps you to know that the answers were inside of you, all along. 

*high fives* 😊  and *hugs* ❤️

WorkingitThrough2 January 4th

@GlenM

Do you have a picture or video that you can share here? My heroes since Childhood

image_1704403871.png

Why do you admire them (1-3 sentences)? Superman Hated injustice and crime and was compassionate.

Where would you put them on the above scale? I am not sure

GlenM OP January 5th

@WorkingitThrough2 thank you for sharing! I remember watching a superman movie at the theater when I was little. A special event b/c going to the movies was a big deal!

WorkingitThrough2 January 5th

@GlenM

I did not get to go to the movies, but I saw him on TV, and I ordered a pair of Superman wings from a Cheerio box and tried to fly. Broke an ankle jumping off the rooftop. I got a beating after I healed, and to this day, I dream of flying😂LOL.

Thanks❤️

GlenM OP January 5th

Now that is some serious optimism!

AffyAvo January 4th

I don't tend to use the word hero much. I think it is often conflated between putting someone on a pedestal. There are qualities, efforts and achievements that people have done that I admire and respect.

I actually think Mother Teresa is a pretty good example of someone who was put on a pedestal, to the point where it became a trope. When I was growing up her name was the one that we were meant to be in awe of, that would be the metaphor for giving her all to others - being a saint when it's stripped down of the religious context. When young I think many of us knew her name but not actually what she did (even only in the positive context) besides maybe a generic cared for the poor. She was not someone I really gave much though of, although I'm sure as a child I used her name as a label like many others did. I was really taken by surprise when I first came across controversy associate with her. I'm actually confused why she became so associated with 'being a saint' outside of a Catholic context. Her values certainly don't align with mine. I feel like Ghandi is a bit similar, although his name wasn't something that I and the kids I was around knew about until about our teens. Jean Vanier is also a name that comes to mind as an example of putting someone up on a pedestal.

I do like that a definition of hero was given, having that context is helpful.

In jr. high I gave a presentation on Emily Stowe. She's someone who has qualities I admire. I remember at the end during questions and answers one of the students who was known for pressing teachers a bit ridiculed something she did, along with the reported reasoning behind it and pressed me on how it was beneficial. I think my teacher was a bit shocked when I didn't defend her and chuckled at my response. I just said well this presentation was about her and that was her opinion, it's not necessarily mine. Admiring and respecting a fair bit of what someone has done doesn't mean it needs to be all or nothing. I think that particular issue wasn't even something I had looked into or formed an opinion on, I wasn't about to take one Emily Stowe's just because of the other things she did.

Another person who has qualities I admire is Judy Heumann, I included information in a check in post here. I have also previously posted about Johnathan Pitre, that seems to be deleted or at least not coming up in the search. I have been a bit hesitant to post about public figures, but did choose these as they were people who had surpassed a point of an issue I was working through. Many of the people I do have admiration for are not public figures.

I'm not too familiar with David Hawkins. The scale though gives me a huge sense of ick. There are weights that are barriers to achieving things. People do become passionate even when in a survival mode. Going back to the hero definition - "hero (feminine: heroine) is a real person or a main fictional character who, in the face of danger, combats adversity through feats of ingenuity, courage, or strength." A certain level of functioning is required. What is being combated isn't always conquered by the hero, but it shifts where as a society we are at towards that. People who are not healed are often doing a lot of that heavy lifting. I'm not in agree with how this is presented as a dichotomy -  "People with higher levels of consciousness experience expanded awareness and inner peace, while those with lower levels may be navigating through various challenges and complexities." For those who are privileged, I'm not so sure floating up like a balloon is the place to be. Maybe get up there from time to time to grab some people, but get down to the work, come on down and shine a light into the darkness, shining it straight down from up high s going to miss a lot!

GlenM OP January 5th

@AffyAvo all excellent points! and great example of not all or nothing thinking with your presentation and dialog with your classmates teacher. I'd happily read up on the other 2 folks you mentioned as well. Anything in particular about them resonate with you?

I think the people that we consider higher up the scale do spend a lot of time helping people in the darkness. I think that is why we admire them. They are in the trenches, heads down, working and making a difference. Other people might put them up there, but there lives show that they are shoulder behind the plow serving others.

AffyAvo January 10th

@GlenM Judy Heumann stuck to a bigger vision. She achieved a lot for disability rights, but she never stopped just because a goal was attained like the ADA - which of itself could have been a major life achievement. Canada has been in a state of transition when it comes to disability rights - gradual so in some ways looking to what was done in the US is helpful.

Johnathan Pitre - trying to think back at the time what resonated with me. I think it was likely the success with getting attention for a rare disease, even when not doing too great physically. I know how just living some days takes a ton of effort, so seeing those wins is inspiring to me.

JollyRacher January 4th

@GlenM

Who are your heroes? 

This may sound cheesy but my siblings. 

Resilience, loyalty, trust, growth, and maturity are the things I learned most and admire most about them. Even after all the trauma they've endured they still smile, laugh, and enjoy life. They don't let their pasts define or hold them back from creating a better future for themselves. 

Probably on the Integrity scale.

@JollyRacher

Not cheesy at alll, siblings are special people hehe, and I'm so glad y'all share the admiration and inspiration!🥰

GlenM OP January 5th

@JollyRacher not at all cheesy! Sounds like you all have endured a lot, overcome a lot, and have a tight knit support system of siblings. I have just one sibling - my sister - and feel the same about her as you've outlined. Going through tough challenges - that only siblings can understand - I think brings a level of trust / hope / courage that few other relationships muster. Glad you have them!

Tyedyedbutterfly65 January 4th

@GlenM

My Hero will always be JESUS!

He died on that Cross for ME .... I wonder who else would do that ?

My Heavenly Father that created all we see and why we are here in the first place.

God .

There are many I admire and believe are amazing gifted , talented people.

My Son is always gonna be my fav of course then My Hubby , My Daughter In law , My Grandson.

My Granny Polly .

Glenn it kinda surprised me because you are a Christian if I remember right but I may be wrong but also you can have your own hero's too.

Mother T and MLK, amazing people.!

Tye

GlenM OP January 5th

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 Great that you have so many heroes in your family! I'm very glad you have that support. Also, great to see a spiritual hero mentioned. I was hoping people would bring up religious or spiritual heroes and I see below that a few other folks have chimed in. Thank you for sharing! 

January 5th

@GlenM I love to see heroism, as well as bring out more of heroism, in each one I meet! Most of all though, I want to see a hero in myself, as I believe the perfect light is within me and within each, so I start with myself!

There are some people though from whom I have a lot to learn, they are much more evolved creatures than me, and so it's uplifting for me to listen to their talks! I am moved by Chinmaya Mission and the work they do - so many heroes for me there! They help shape my life and personality.

Definitely agree that having role models and heroes is important, as that's the guiding light showing us the way!

GlenM OP January 5th

@Fristo love this idea of growing courage and a hero like spirit in ourselves. What helps you do this? Practical recommendations are very welcome!

And I clicked on the site to the mission. All of these folks look very wise. As a group, what do you admire most about them? I'll also do a more in-depth review of the site as well.

WeEarth January 5th

@GlenM

I admire people, but I can't focus on specific heroes or heroines. However, they serve as my motivation and inspiration.

Motivation: my Mother, my grandmother, my uncles, my sister, my friends (puppy, parrot, dogs, teddy) & my entire family. Witnessing their struggles, sacrifices, and unwavering commitment to doing their best has been a profound influence on me. My mother is the greatest woman I ever met till now. When I say this, I mean she embodies qualities that I deeply admire. I learnt so many things from my family. I have learned many things from my family, with the first lesson being to live not only for ourselves but also to uplift our environment.

Inspiration: my dearest personalities such as Maharani Lakshmi Bai, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, Swami Vivekananda, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, Maharana Pratap Singh, PM Narendra Modi, Veer Savarkar, Devi Draupadi, Maharshi Aurobindo............ The list is long, I won't be able to mention them all here. I can't mention them in a particular order or group. They all are alive in my heart and always will!

Thank you for this post 💖

GlenM OP January 5th
@WeEarth thank you for sharing! Can you say more about how heroes inspire you?

Also, so good that you have such a strong family and a remarkable mother. Parents, to me, are often some of the most powerful people in our lives. They help author the first relational software that runs on our minds (attachment processes). She sounds like an amazing person! 

And that is a big group of folks you mentioned. Like @fristo above, what are the core characteristics or behaviors about them that most inspire you?
WeEarth January 5th

@GlenM

I get inspired by their determination, resilience, and positive impact, especially in situations where failure was pre-labelled. Qualities that inspire me the most are their dedication to a noble cause, leadership skills, and sacrifices for the greater good.  These qualities fuel my determination for a positive impact.

Yes indeed, Parents play a crucial role in shaping our perspectives and values. Even though I disagree with some of my parents' views, I still deeply respect and appreciate their influence in shaping my perspective and values. It's a natural part of individual growth to have differing opinions while maintaining love and respect for each other.

GlenM OP January 5th

@WeEarth thanks for sharing more details here. I'm struck by how often determination is coming up in this thread. Grit, perseverance, not giving up = seems like maybe one of the biggest ingredients in people we admire.

WeEarth January 6th

@GlenM

Yes, overcoming procrastination is a common challenge for our generation. I believe that cultivating determination can fuel our willpower to tackle it.

Thank you Glen for this special experience of sharing insights with you 💖

amiablePeace77 January 5th

@GlenM

Who are your heroes? Can be personal (like friends or family), in the past (historical figures), present or even fictional.

My heroes in day to day life are people struggling with mental illnesses, with poverty, disabilities etc. (our members) who no matter what focus on the light ahead and not the darkness that might want to trap them. 

Also  Thich Nhat Hanh (teacher but I see him also as a hero) Tina Turner and Nelson Mandela  (RIP) 

I admire Thich Nhat Hanh (RIP)  for always having kept love for the world in his heart no matter what happened.

I admire Tina Turner (RIP) them for her strength to not let what happened pull her down but move forward and help others too.

I admire Nelson Mandela (RIP) for his strength by overcoming injustice and not let it destroy him but focus on improving conditions for people.

GlenM OP January 5th

@amiablePeace77 yes!!! "(our members) who no matter what focus on the light ahead and not the darkness that might want to trap them."

So well said! Another nod to the power of determination and perseverance! 

It has been a while since I've ready any Thick Nhat Hanh. Those ideas can be a little slippery. Like you get them, but then they vanish. They do a nice job of making them more practical. 

Tina Turner is a great mention. I remember there being a Broadway show. I didn't get to see it. Movie too? 

And great example in Nelson Mandela as well. I've had his Long Walk to Freedom on my list for years. One of those books where it feels like you have to be ready for it - or at least that is how I see it. 

SparkyGizmo January 6th

@GlenM

Hi Glen! 😊 ❤️ Thank you for this fantastic and thought provoking forum post! I have enjoyed hearing your thoughts and they just so happen to be in direct alignment mine. Yes, I too have hero's. 

I find it interesting that someone that was in a position to evaluate your speech as well as your thoughts quickly went to the negative in an effort to pick your personal hero's apart. I have to wonder what the purpose of that was? 🤔 Also interesting that upon questioned, your evaluator deemed no one to be a hero from their perspective and that there is no one that they admire. Fascinating! 

Some moments, certain comments that others make to us say a great deal more about them than us as well as what it is that they are attending to. I find your interaction with this evaluator to be quite telling. 

Thank you for providing the scale. I really liked reading that. Higher levels of consciousness equating to expanded self awareness and inner peace seems pretty spot on to me! It reminds me a bit of Maslows work and reaching "self actualization'" as well as other work done for personality....high conscientiousness and highly agreeable related to less psychopathy.  

I also love that you mentioned humility and the loss of the ego the higher one moves up on the scale. I agree. I have enjoyed reading about the Dunning-Kruger effect and I feel as if I'm able to witness this play out in life, many times.

The more you think you are fantastic and really good at what it is that you do, the less likely that is true. For me, it's the humble and service driven leadership types that truly are the hero's in the end. They got no end game. No brass ring to reach for. They simply "are". They are simply able to "be". They question themselves as well as their actions often in an effort to do the right thing and instead of reaching for power or glory, they are mindful and stay focused on doing good things for others. 

Some of my hero's are Gandhi, Jesus Christ and Mother Teresa. Much to learn from there, in my opinion. I love what was coined by Mother Teresa "Do it anyway". It's a good thing to revisit. By "doing it anyway" sometimes we as people have the ability to become the hero's in our own stories and lives.  Anyone can be a hero for others and my feelings are if that if you do so, you might just go higher on some of these scales as a natural by product, sleep well at night, feel good about yourself as well as others. It can be a shedding of the ego, less offense taken, commitment to never harm but only help as well as not bitter, only better. 

Some other hero's of mine are Marcus Lemonis from the tv show "The Profit". (nice play on words). He has attained his wealth and for making sound business decisions and so he used that to help other businesses to become more profitable in all of the right ways. He not only provided the financial backing, he taught them a better way of being.....boots on the ground. 

Paul Buchheit is also a hero of mine. To learn the origin story of 7 cups is quite fascinating. To understand Buchheit's involvement as well as intentions to use his wealth to be an angel investor for others that only do good things, to believe in them and help is quite honorable. That man doesn't have to work another day in his life however, he chooses to do so. 

I have lots of hero's here on 7 cups. Some are in this very thread already and I won't embarrass them. Some may come along later and visit this thread. If you think you might be one of my hero's, you probably know me pretty well, are spot on and you know that you live in these words. Most grateful for all of our hero's here! ❤️

Thanks again Glen for this amazing forum post. I really loved being a part of this today! ❤️

*high fives* 😊 and *hugs* ❤️