Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Room Announcement

GlenM November 6th, 2019

Hello everyone! I have an important update to make on group rooms.

Did you know that the first room opened at 7 Cups was a waiting room for members to wait for an available listener? Things have come a long way since then. Just as we did then we are always looking for ways to improve the support we provide. We have been investigating what parts of the group support model works and what does not through usage, moderation statistics, and general room health. What weve found is that having moderated discussions and open chats are the most supportive and safe opportunities, while unmoderated 24/7 chatting results in increased safety and experience issues.

As we move forward as a company with a free emotional support service we have decided on some big changes to elevate our group support experience for everyone who wants a safe and kind experience. Our intention is to do a few things well and focus on emotional support.

Member rooms:

We will have two adult member rooms and two teen member rooms open 24/7 for moderated support. One general support room and one community room. All other rooms will be pop-up discussion rooms. These rooms will all be badge locked to both listeners and members.

Listener badges: Tick Tock ( For reaching Ten 1-1 chats), Thankful Heart (For receiving 5 positive text reviews)

Member badges: Strong Bond 1 (5 chats with 5 Listeners, i.e. 1 chat per listener, 5 total chats), Helpful heart ( 50 Compassion Hearts)

Listener rooms:

In the adult listener community we will continue to have two rooms, Listener Support Room and Listener Community Room. Teens will have Teen Listener Room. The adult Listener Community Room will require the Verified Listener badge. The Listener Support Rooms will be open to all listeners, but will only be used for active chat support.

Timeline:

This change is anticipated to happen in the next couple of days. However if some rooms become unsafe and volatile we may choose to close them early or remove them all together.

Our goal is to focus on emotional support. We are aligning our community features to help us better achieve this. We realize this is a big change that may not suit your preferences. We know you may have questions, especially if you are on a volunteer support team (group support teams read more here). We understand if you decide our free services no longer fit your needs and we wish you the best. However you are feeling please keep our Community Guidelines in mind as you process and move forward with your day. While we always welcome feedback, we expect discussions to not only be civil but also on-topic.

I know dealing with change can be challenging. I appreciate the flexibility as we move things forward. As a quick aside, Im visiting my grandmother (she has been ill) so Ill respond, but might be a bit delayed. The community team will chime in and answer questions as well.

Thank you!

[MonBon added link]

[Jill replaced badge name for members- it is Strong Bond 1 and not 7 day streak)

[Lorraine added badge requirements]

[Tazzie replaced the second badge name for members. It is Helpful Heart]

[MonBon replaced badge name for Listeners. It is Thankful Heart]

[7CupsCommunity modified description of Strong Bond 1 for clarity]

jennysunrise8 November 9th, 2019

@SirJambabwe

You dont become an enterpreneur and start any kind of business by listening to the nay sayers... IF you start listening to everyone's advice you'd be locked in your house sleeping in the fridge in order to feel anything..

lol good line (among a few there) yes

purpleButterfly24 November 9th, 2019

@SirJambabwe

I was not trying to rock the boat. Incase it wasnt clear from the above, I am upset and confused that something that I have come to rely on for support in times of need has been withdrawn suddenly and with little explanation. I thought this was a safe space to express that confusion and try to understand why I have lost access to it. It appears I was wrong about it being safe. None of the above was meant as a personal attack on anyone and if it read that way I am sorry. I am just one of those people who feels the need to understand the ‘why when I lose something important to me.

MittensKitten November 9th, 2019

I'm confused, are 1-1 chats becoming unavaliable?

RarelyCharlie November 9th, 2019

@MittensKitten Nope. No change at all to 1-to-1 chats Slightly smiling

Charlie

MittensKitten November 9th, 2019

@RarelyCharlie

Thank you, im worried about how things will change but im glad to hear that where im most active wont just dissapear!

SirJambabwe November 9th, 2019

@RarelyCharlie

In which world does less freedom mean anything good for the majority of people ? Next they'll be telling you what colors of socks you're allowed to wear and which colors are a nono..

@SirJambabwe I only said there has been no change at all to 1-to-1 chats, and now you have broadened the subject to include socks. I find this difficult to understand. Perhaps you'd like to chat about it? Feel free to message me!

Charlie

@RarelyCharlie

Usually a conversation without at least a few pairs of socks shoved here and there is considered lacking in the world of the rich and powerful. Socks make the world go around, true power lies in a good pair of socks.

@SirJambabwe I am not wearing any socks, as it happens. I have no true power. Seriously. I have no power here at 7 Cups.

Charlie

humorousDay8793 November 9th, 2019

@RarelyCharlie

His message was clear to me, I'm interested to see your answer instead of hiding in a 1 on 1 with this conversation which is what I see as problematic if we are all supposed to be speaking freely here. My socks are white, and im not hiding the fact that 7cups is broken in many ways due to the control-freak mentality going on behind the scenes. Members, ambassadors, monitors, and all of us are equal. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

@humorousDay8793

Forgot to mention that Glen cares more about the socks he's gonna wear on monday than about the complaints of any one of you.

@SirJambabwe

Yes, that's the feeling I'm getting also. Very sad we all have to put up with crap like this. I went on two 24 hour strikes away from 7cups just to step away because it is upsetting to see the control freaks at work

@humorousDay8793 You make a fair point about moving a discussion to a 1-to-1 chat when it is of wider interest.

However, I do not think we are all supposed to be speaking freely here. We are supposed to limit our speaking so as to comply with 7 Cups' community guidelines.

Also, I am mindful that this thread is about changes to the arrangements for chatrooms, and in my opinion we risk going wildly off topic. So I will say more in my personal notebook thread, and I'll tag you. Of course anyone else is also welcome there.

Charlie

AdamEmb November 10th, 2019

@humorousDay8793. All that has changed really is how the chat rooms work now. They are fully gone. You cant say ALL OF 7 cups is broken because of this. Theres what, maybe a few hundred unique people in there vs the forums which have thousands. The chat rooms are still there technically. The chat rooms became more of a chat vs emotional support. So they get like they needed to get a grip on the chat rooms so they are back to helping people again who need it.

I agree, there should be some chat rooms that are for people who just want to chat who share the same/broad issues maybe because people in there GET IT vs going to another site with people who would poke fun most likely.

But I dont feel 7 cups is completely failing because of this. They have monitored the rooms as mentioned before and see that its not a support chat anymore, but each chat becoming more of a hangout and not actually addressing people coming in needing help with their panic attacks and depression. I tried to help but the chat was flying so fast with chatter we couldnt talk.

AdamEmb November 10th, 2019

@AdamEmb man I shouldnt type with auto correct. I butchered that haha

humorousDay8793 November 10th, 2019

@AdamEmb

I say 7cups is broken in the fundimental way they handled the changes, didn't inform us beforehand, upset many people, and broke our trust. I've always had trust issues, this really wasnt productive at all.

GretasRebel November 13th, 2019

@AdamEmb ''I tried to help but the chat was flying so fast with chatter we couldnt talk. '' 100% true and everyhing else you said. I used to be in depression support a lot and most of the people there were from compassion corner, trolls and just giving off a bad vibe. Whenever a mod entered they'd behave and as soon as the mod was gone the usual toxicity would return. It got exhausting, on few occassions people were using the room for the purpose created. In all honesty I'm thrilled this new change has been made, it's about time someone actually did something constructively.

Figgy50 November 16th, 2019

@AdamEmb 35+ WAS a support room. We supported ANYONE who needed help. If we were chatting, we stopped chatting and helped whoever needed support. We even had members come into 35+ saying they had just come in from Depression Support and couldn't believe how awful it was. We gave them a safe space in 35+. Everyone said 35+ was the best and most supportive room. Yes. We did have regular "chats" in 35+ but our main priority was SUPPORT.

FuturesRise November 11th, 2019

@MittensKitten

TRY NOT TO PANIC - SOMEBODY SHOULD BE RIGHT WITH YOU TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS.

OR CHECK THE BULLETIN BOARD

OH, SORRY, THERE IS NO BULLETIN BOARD

WHO DROPPED THE CUP?!

I believe we members are the main reason this site a place that when people are nice it really does support people. Members passionately share from their hearts here. The gems of caring and wisdom are pricless!. Many members work very hard choosing the right words to convey amazing encouragement and wisdom.

We all have eagarly contributed wonderful advice kindness and our intellectual knowlege to give the very best of ourselves in an attempt to help others.

We honestly engauge in mutal conversations in joint efforts to find healing.

If 7cups doesnt respect the unique EQUAL MUTUAL exchange of efforts values and wisdom it's members bring out of the kindness of their hearts free of charge, then we must create or support some place that will.

There is to much suffering and money should never be an issue. One good complex algorithm programing process of calculation problem-solving could make the feed work correctly and free forever.

Other problems and glitches could also be alieviated.

Members come to this site suffering from many of life's deep disapointments and 7cups gains extremely valuable information in this process which can be used to write best seller self-help books, manuals, guides, and to train mental health professionals. Members off these gems freely and free in an exchange for having a place to be mutually helpful for everyone. So they (7cups) need to step it up and make the fixes that enable member to member messages to be gauranteed of delivery, and a cutomizable feed each member can control, plus a system in place for quick problem solving when a member see something important needing editing, repair, or malfunctioning. Lives are on the line here. This is no joke! The emotions and feelings of all members of a website like this are an absolute nessesity here.

Members should be happy, feel respected, and know they are important on any site that wants the responsibility of all of our lives!

I dont want to be here if the top people are going to neglect us in the many ways ive heard about, and am currently personally experiencing. Come on 7cups.

Who the heck broke 7cups?!!

[MonBon edited for unsupportive content]

They really should have contacted us with a list of proposals months ago along with an announcment of an upcoming suggestions from members meeting. Then gave everybody another month or two to consider all the suggestions. Also a list of duties they needed help with should have come with meeting 1 or 2 months after every member had time to think about all suggestions. Then a vote. Demorcratic vote, not this terrotorial oligarchy craziness that is so upsetting to everybody. We were given no chance to give our input.

7cups??? or Broken Cup?!!

Figgy50 November 9th, 2019

Can you please tell the community mods not to sound so "cut and paste"? All I get are one sentence replies. It sounds like they're reading from a mod/listener guide list or something.

"We are sorry this happened.❤️"

"We are here for you.❤️"

"We understand you are upset.❤️"

Ever since yall got rid of the rooms thats all I get. (And the condescending heart emoji.)

@Figgy50

Right, Its so sad to be controled by people who just copy and paste unhelpful banter in an attempt to passify us. Or they are reading off from a mental health site.

We are real people, people! A bit of humanity and equality would go a long ways!

MythologicalMayhem November 12th, 2019

@Figgy50

I don't think they're trying to be condescending. They are sending those hearts with good intentions; it is you who is taking it negatively (for whatever reason).

What would you say differently to a stranger in need of help in a chatroom, when you can't give people advice? They also couldn't possibly help everyone and keep up with the chat of a bunch of different people amongst other chatter.

Mods and listeners are volunteers. They're human beings dealing with their own issues too. Give them a break. If you want someone to say more to you, speak to a therapist. Until then, don't expect much from a chat room and/or go 1-on-1 so a listener can say more to you personally.

Figgy50 November 12th, 2019

@MythologicalMayhem First of all, dont say I'm taking it "negatively" you dont know a **** thing about me. If I have a right to feel, and if I feel it comes across as condescending, then it is to me. Just like your post. ❤️

GretasRebel November 13th, 2019

@MythologicalMayhem I love this! You are one of the few sane individuals on this thread. Oml how many [edited by Anomalia for unsupportive content] are attacking Glen. At the end of the day this is a volunteer project and we ought to be grateful it even exists.

MythologicalMayhem November 13th, 2019

@GretasRebel

Thank-you. You can't win in a community like this. Express your opinion against someone hating on volunteers on a free website, but of course, my comment somehow is taking away someone's right to feel. indecision People seem to be expecting high quality therapy you'd have to pay for here, except from volunteers with their own issues and problems.

@Figgy50 Yes, you can be pissed at something, but how you approach it is what's important and maybe some thought about what it involves to volunteer and from the perspective of the volunteers would give you a more balanced opinion. I gave you some ideas of what you can do instead to avoid 'cut and paste' answers.

wontwakewontsleep November 13th, 2019

@GretasRebel - Wow. You are rude.

GretasRebel November 14th, 2019

@wontwakewontsleep sorry it comes across that way. I'm just direct. People act like it's the end of the world. Changes happen all the time and if you can't deal with changes online I'm deeply concerned how you cope in the real world. Things are upsetting for sure but trying to find something positive in the midst of it is a healthy thing.

lilmango November 14th, 2019

@GretasRebel

It doesnt sound to me your comments are coming from a place of concern, rather they're an attempt to invalidate experiences and to condescend members here. And now that the cat is out of the bag, everyone can stop taking the bait.

GretasRebel November 14th, 2019

@lilmango that's your interpretation. I'm just saying it's disgraceful attacking the creator of 7 cups. His changes and the rest of the staff are for a reason. It is deeply worrying that people call it a disaster and so on. We feel how we feel but it is unnecessary to attack people who are working so hard to make this place a reality!!

mytwistedsoul November 14th, 2019

@GretasRebel If this place is online then technically it isn't reality is it?

GretasRebel November 15th, 2019

@mytwistedsoul bwing quite semantic now are we. YOu get the point I was trying to get across.

Figgy50 November 15th, 2019

@GretasRebel And calling me (or whoever) a "Snowcone" -whatever that means 🤣🤣🤣🤣- For VENTING... WAS NOT attacking me??? 🤔🤔🤔 Calling someone a "Snowcone -which doesnt mean anything anyways.. Remember. Its Snow *FLAKE*- on a SUPPORT site is really uncalled for.

Plus, me (and a few thousand other members) most likely feel the same way about the Purge. You and your friend up there (forgot their name) might want to go attack them too. I hope your fingers dont get too tired ❤️

@Figgy50 Calm down. Snowcone is not meant that seriously. <3

Figgy50 November 15th, 2019

@GretasRebel If you dont mean it "seriously" than why are you calling me a name on here in the first place? 😊

@Figgy50 what are you talking about? I didn't address anyone in particular but scrolling through this thread there are many oversensitive people going overboard acting like the world is ending. Can we please try to look positively at this instead of accusing 7cups creators of all sorts.

Dawn04 November 14th, 2019

@GretasRebel People are here because they need help in their day-to-day lives and one reason they could be here is because issues with change and not liking disruptions in their lives. This can greatly affect people working on their mental health. So in your opinion who cares about these people? I'm not sure I'd ever want to meet you if you're that cold.

@Dawn04 Already you're getting ahead of yourself. I'm simply saying it's in poor taste attacking Glen and assuming it was an easy decision. I love this place okay? Yes it s u cks that there are changes but what can we do about it?? Wh ining louder then perhaps they'll change it back who knows. If you think I'm cold then I fear for your wellbeing while actually interacting with people in your offline life.

wontwakewontsleep November 15th, 2019

@GretasRebel - Calm down <3