Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Room Announcement

GlenM November 6th, 2019

Hello everyone! I have an important update to make on group rooms.

Did you know that the first room opened at 7 Cups was a waiting room for members to wait for an available listener? Things have come a long way since then. Just as we did then we are always looking for ways to improve the support we provide. We have been investigating what parts of the group support model works and what does not through usage, moderation statistics, and general room health. What weve found is that having moderated discussions and open chats are the most supportive and safe opportunities, while unmoderated 24/7 chatting results in increased safety and experience issues.

As we move forward as a company with a free emotional support service we have decided on some big changes to elevate our group support experience for everyone who wants a safe and kind experience. Our intention is to do a few things well and focus on emotional support.

Member rooms:

We will have two adult member rooms and two teen member rooms open 24/7 for moderated support. One general support room and one community room. All other rooms will be pop-up discussion rooms. These rooms will all be badge locked to both listeners and members.

Listener badges: Tick Tock ( For reaching Ten 1-1 chats), Thankful Heart (For receiving 5 positive text reviews)

Member badges: Strong Bond 1 (5 chats with 5 Listeners, i.e. 1 chat per listener, 5 total chats), Helpful heart ( 50 Compassion Hearts)

Listener rooms:

In the adult listener community we will continue to have two rooms, Listener Support Room and Listener Community Room. Teens will have Teen Listener Room. The adult Listener Community Room will require the Verified Listener badge. The Listener Support Rooms will be open to all listeners, but will only be used for active chat support.

Timeline:

This change is anticipated to happen in the next couple of days. However if some rooms become unsafe and volatile we may choose to close them early or remove them all together.

Our goal is to focus on emotional support. We are aligning our community features to help us better achieve this. We realize this is a big change that may not suit your preferences. We know you may have questions, especially if you are on a volunteer support team (group support teams read more here). We understand if you decide our free services no longer fit your needs and we wish you the best. However you are feeling please keep our Community Guidelines in mind as you process and move forward with your day. While we always welcome feedback, we expect discussions to not only be civil but also on-topic.

I know dealing with change can be challenging. I appreciate the flexibility as we move things forward. As a quick aside, Im visiting my grandmother (she has been ill) so Ill respond, but might be a bit delayed. The community team will chime in and answer questions as well.

Thank you!

[MonBon added link]

[Jill replaced badge name for members- it is Strong Bond 1 and not 7 day streak)

[Lorraine added badge requirements]

[Tazzie replaced the second badge name for members. It is Helpful Heart]

[MonBon replaced badge name for Listeners. It is Thankful Heart]

[7CupsCommunity modified description of Strong Bond 1 for clarity]

BeautifulHero86 November 16th, 2019

@Figgy50

They don't care because money rules over all... So no time for the members to adjust, nope, "Rooms are closing today and y'all just have to get used to it! I mean we are for support BUT the money is such an important issue that it trumps members concerns. Suck it up, lol."

I don't know that's what it feels like to me after reading Glens post.

Daisy221 November 7th, 2019

Well now Im sad... I was looking forward to a planned event for anxiety and the grounding techniques they would show us. This is all pretty unprofessional and rushed in my opinion.

supersadkittycat November 7th, 2019

You've devastated a ton of struggling people...

Sickening...

frankily November 7th, 2019

I cant stand opening up to a person 1-1, especially when we have no clue if the listener were connecting with is going to make things better or worse. In 1-1, theres no one to counter the listeners speech and theres only two people who can report things if stuff goes haywire. Although I rarely use 7cups, the group chat is the only thing Ive really utilized due to the fact that it gives me immediate socialization and I dont have to initiate the conversation. I can feel like crap and just try to distract myself by throwing myself into worrying about others. I know that Im talking with people who are in roughly the same boat as me.

I understand why you guys decided to do this, as having a completely open chat room leads to abuse, but I feel like theres other things that could have been done before essentially removing them completely for people who dont wish to use every aspect of 7cups.

TidyLuca November 7th, 2019

@GlenM

This is mostly from the perspective of a long term member. Seen as most replys are listeners or group supporters and this change is focused on group chats.

Positives:

It will filter out any trolls, hateful or toxic people. Keeping them restricted to two rooms will discourage them from using the site maliciously. I have confidence in Lorraine that she will be watching over all of us and keeping track of every single person's 'Positive chats', all 5 before we get our badge. Seen as there's only two rooms with everyone in them.

It will encourage members to pay and talk to the therapists for emotional support. Which will help fund the website. Seen as alot of members will be in two chatrooms and might not be able to be vent in group chats. The paid therapists can be seen as an ideal option for guaranteed 1 on 1 support. In case, the listeners have a busy schedule.

Shrinking all the rooms into only two before being granted access will mean alot of people in one space. This did happen with Depression support and Depression chat. But combining those two unpopulated rooms with not that many people worked out brilliantly and allowed more connections and friendships to be made between users who might've never met, seen as they were in seperate chatrooms. Based on this amazing decision, combining all the rooms will mean everyone will be able to connect with everyone.

Negatives:

I don't really see any negatives. Other than being a bit unsure on what a positive chat exactly is. But we're only in the early stages and Lorraine's amazing commitment and principles will be able to ensure that we're all monitored and behaving appropriately before being handed our badge.

Also posting this on week days seemed a bit odd. Should've posted it on the weekend so more people could see and discuss their thoughts on the bright future for cups because of this change.

If u have any feedback or disagree let me know

November 7th, 2019

@TidyLuca first alot of us cant afford cups therapist, 2nd to many people in 1 room will result in fewer people being helped. I already get drowned out. And I can't keep up when 20 people Trying to talk at once, and I'm a slow typer so by the time I can reply umpteen messages have gone by and I've missed them, then Trying reread those while new messages are coming in. I have yet to see anything "bad" in group. I just feel that this is a bad idea, especially badge locked rooms.

fearlessWriter78 November 7th, 2019

@TidyLuca Did Glen or Lorraine pay you for these comments? lol.

1. Yes, it will be easier to manage trolls, but trolls will still keep popping around and rooms can still get busy and messy.

2. I can't afford a therapist on here.

3. Yes, more people can meet, but people have lost their friend or group of friends they used to meet regularly in the rooms that have been deleted.

Figgy50 November 7th, 2019

@TidyLuca 50 people in one chat room trying to get support is a negative. 2 rooms is not enough.

November 7th, 2019

@TidyLuca

Funny

AddictedTealover98 November 7th, 2019

Hey just a suggestion, but can we make the LTBTQ Room 24/7. Based on the observation in the room, other members are already uncomfortable with the topic and the topics dominating one of the member room. i hope this is heard 😟

LovingSparkle November 7th, 2019

@AddictedTealover98

Hiya Im also sad about losing our room. Lots of 7cups users are feeling uncomfortable, myself included. But your hope is not going to get fulfilled. suggestions arent listened to. the community is not listened to.

AddictedTealover98 November 7th, 2019

@LovingSparkle

I'm sad about losing the rooms but I understand the changes needed. But some topics like disability and lgbtq needs a separate space to not offend each other is my opinion

LovingSparkle November 7th, 2019

@AddictedTealover98

Lgbt+ people struggle from homophobia, biphobia and transphobia too much. Now they take this accepting place from us?!

November 7th, 2019

@LovingSparkle not being listened to story of my life

DarkCoffee November 7th, 2019

This is the worst idea ever for this site! Not only we don't have the feed, but now we're not able to talk in chat rooms. Most of us don't feel like opening up and speaking about our problems and give information about ourselves in a chat room with other 50 unknown people who might just troll around and mock us. Some of us ust can't, plus the chat moves on so fast, that no one even reads most messages. How can we can support there anymore?

I think most rooms were safe, except for Depression rooms which were full of trolls. I don;t think that closingl the rest of the chat rooms is a fair, logical, useful, supportive and responsible. Basically, we're having problems in chatting with our friends no feed, no chat rooms, but closing the chat rooms was the last straw for most of us.

Closing the chat rooms was a horrible decision for most of us. If it was for financial reasons, please give up on something else on the site, but not the chat rooms....

.If it was because of safety reasons, i don't think that stopping many people from getting support in chat rooms is worth it...i genuinely think that most rooms were safe and we could always call a mod. It's extremely unfair for most of us to suffer these horrible consequences only because some mean people hurt others in chat rooms. Maybe implementing more harsh actions on trolls and ban them easier helps more than closing rooms, totally unfair for the rest of us. Now we'll have to deal with trolls from depression room in both rooms, how "fair". How can it it be "safer" when so many people here don't agree with the "safety" reason behind this?People can;t get any support in chat rooms anymore, how better than before is this?

No matter which reason is stronger, please give us back the chat rooms...don't leave us supportless. So many of us have been relying on them.

Sadly, all these changes and how they were implemented, so fast, overnight definitely proved how disposable we all are and how less we are cared about, how little our voice matters...

Wish you all the best, soon I will be leaving this site for real.

Positron2 November 7th, 2019

What I am seeing is 47 people in the room when the average used to be 15. I have seen a many people come here with problems and they get ignored because chat with 40+ people moves too fast.

@Positron2 AND in the support room you're not allowed to talk or voice your opinion about the changes made on the site today. Instead, mod Gabe advised me to post my comments here. WELL HERE YOU GO GABE!

Vrsyren November 7th, 2019

@fearlessWriter78 right because here peoples thoughts are not in everyones face where sentiment can grow. I mean it would be great to thing the mods or even owner of this network read these comments but I am assuming this is a place for people to complain and be ignored.

I for one have no intention of joining the 2 adult rooms which are just a waste of time as far as I am concerned. I will keep in contact with a few listeners I have developed a repore with and other than that my use of this site will drop significantly until changes occur that bring people together again.

@Vrsyren Yeah I don't intend to use the 2 main rooms either as it's too busy and support is not really given.

elle9o November 7th, 2019

I wonder if the site is under construction or something cause when I click on the link to go to group chats/discussions, the list of rooms aren't there at all. Anyone know what's going on?

Tyedyedbutterfly65 November 7th, 2019

@elle9o Glenn the owner has explained in his post that the rooms have been closed so now there are two rooms for adults and two rooms for teens... also the Listeners have two rooms..

So this is why you are not seeing all the rooms and some you will need badges to get in too. .

You may also need to check back as they are working on the site.. Refresh your page .

terableeds November 7th, 2019

@GlenM

What a wasted opportunity. I get the whys of it all. But wow, all the 7 cups family you had at your disposal. 'Tis a shame when those who build the brigdes burn down the stairs that reach them.

Best of luck on future endeavors. Thanks for the help you were providing.

ElectrolytesSmell November 7th, 2019

do i need to talk to 5 listeners before i can enter the chatroom? or is 50 compassion hearts enough? help pls

bouncyVoice4149 November 7th, 2019

@ElectrolytesSmell

You need both the badges to access the rooms

thank you imma about to slide into some DMs lmao

Figgy50 November 7th, 2019

I feel like ALL of the 7cups discussions we did in 35+ were a COMPLETE waste of time. They recently did a discussion on coping skills. Now that the rooms are closed and many members are still having a hard time without the rooms, does it matter to the Administrators how we the members are coping? I seriously doubt it. Why would they do discussions on coping skills? Its like "Here's some coping skills. Use them when we close the rooms. We dont really care about your coping anyways. Buh Bye."

@Figgy50 figgeh i still can enter the chatrooms even after speaking with 5 listeners ;_;

fluffyUnicorns84 November 7th, 2019

@ElectrolytesSmell it seems that you do not have the badge that says you have spoke with 5 different listeners reaching 5 chats with each one. So thats the reason you cannot access the rooms yet. 1chat = 30 messages. So you would need to exchange at least150 messages with at least 2 messages being from the listener for each listener. Hope you gain access soon.

adventurousBranch3786 November 8th, 2019

@fluffyUnicorns84 This is confusing. I have done some chats with listeners,but I'm not sure how to know if I have gotten credit.

fluffyUnicorns84 November 8th, 2019

Hey @adventurousBranch3786, if you use a browser rather than the app to access 7 cups you can click on Path on the blue tool bar at the top of the site, then select my progress and you can access all your stats including how many compassion hearts you have and how many chats you have etc. I hope that helps, feel free to message me if you need further help.

adventurousBranch3786 November 8th, 2019

@fluffyUnicorns84 thank you

ElectrolytesSmell November 8th, 2019

@fluffyUnicorns84 omg fluffly thank you for the clarification, you're the best

jennysunrise8 November 8th, 2019

@fluffyUnicorns84

this is incorrect you dont need to exchange 150 messages with every listener its only 30 messages you need to exchange with each listener but it must include 10 from both the member and listener to count as a chat and so it could be over 30 to meet the chat requirement

https://www.7cups.com/forum/35OverCommunity_166/35SelfcareCorner_1502/GroupChatnotfunctioning_211814/

fluffyUnicorns84 November 8th, 2019

@jennysunrise8 nope the badge to access the rooms is 5 chats with 5 listeners. so 30 x 5 is 150.

However they some confusion around how many those messages need to be from the listener...

jennysunrise8 November 8th, 2019

@fluffyUnicorns84

you said in your above post 5 chats with each of the 5 listeners but in fact the requirement is only one chat with each listener not 5 so just letting people know because this is something people have to talk with listeners about and agree on or the chat with the listener wont count if its less than that but certainly you dont want members and listeners counting 5 chats per listener if they only need to count one which will be hard enough for a member to do on their own finding 5 listers who will do one chat and agree to send 10 messages

fluffyUnicorns84 November 9th, 2019

@jennysunrise8 yes it got updated :)

Vrsyren November 9th, 2019

@fluffyUnicorns84

Vrsyren November 9th, 2019

@fluffyUnicorns84 The requirement to get into the rooms is almost as stupid as the decision to make the changes. Basically they are saying before you can get into a room and talk with others for help you have to get time with Listeners. But hey 7Cups you dont have enough of them, and getting chat time without it being 30 minute delay in responses or greater is almost impossible to find.

The more I hear about the changes to the site and its support the more I see the inside of a tiolet bowl. I have yet to go into a room istead I just chat with people I met in the LGTBQ room.

7Cups, great job at committing suicide to your service.

November 7th, 2019

@Figgy50 I can assure you that this is not because we don't care. We want to ensure people are safe. Sometimes these tough calls need to be made to make sure that when someone goes into a community space they are safe and guarenteed quality support. The idea is not to get rid of them, but to provide what we can while still making sure its a healthy environment for everyone. 35+ has a very strong team backing it and I know they will do their best to have the room open and offer the community the support it deserves. Im here if you need to talk.

Cerberus28 November 7th, 2019

@Lorraine234

What are you talking about? I could barely say anything in the group support chats to begin with, it seemed like every other word was censored. What are you doing with it now?