Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Room Announcement

GlenM November 6th, 2019

Hello everyone! I have an important update to make on group rooms.

Did you know that the first room opened at 7 Cups was a waiting room for members to wait for an available listener? Things have come a long way since then. Just as we did then we are always looking for ways to improve the support we provide. We have been investigating what parts of the group support model works and what does not through usage, moderation statistics, and general room health. What weve found is that having moderated discussions and open chats are the most supportive and safe opportunities, while unmoderated 24/7 chatting results in increased safety and experience issues.

As we move forward as a company with a free emotional support service we have decided on some big changes to elevate our group support experience for everyone who wants a safe and kind experience. Our intention is to do a few things well and focus on emotional support.

Member rooms:

We will have two adult member rooms and two teen member rooms open 24/7 for moderated support. One general support room and one community room. All other rooms will be pop-up discussion rooms. These rooms will all be badge locked to both listeners and members.

Listener badges: Tick Tock ( For reaching Ten 1-1 chats), Thankful Heart (For receiving 5 positive text reviews)

Member badges: Strong Bond 1 (5 chats with 5 Listeners, i.e. 1 chat per listener, 5 total chats), Helpful heart ( 50 Compassion Hearts)

Listener rooms:

In the adult listener community we will continue to have two rooms, Listener Support Room and Listener Community Room. Teens will have Teen Listener Room. The adult Listener Community Room will require the Verified Listener badge. The Listener Support Rooms will be open to all listeners, but will only be used for active chat support.

Timeline:

This change is anticipated to happen in the next couple of days. However if some rooms become unsafe and volatile we may choose to close them early or remove them all together.

Our goal is to focus on emotional support. We are aligning our community features to help us better achieve this. We realize this is a big change that may not suit your preferences. We know you may have questions, especially if you are on a volunteer support team (group support teams read more here). We understand if you decide our free services no longer fit your needs and we wish you the best. However you are feeling please keep our Community Guidelines in mind as you process and move forward with your day. While we always welcome feedback, we expect discussions to not only be civil but also on-topic.

I know dealing with change can be challenging. I appreciate the flexibility as we move things forward. As a quick aside, Im visiting my grandmother (she has been ill) so Ill respond, but might be a bit delayed. The community team will chime in and answer questions as well.

Thank you!

[MonBon added link]

[Jill replaced badge name for members- it is Strong Bond 1 and not 7 day streak)

[Lorraine added badge requirements]

[Tazzie replaced the second badge name for members. It is Helpful Heart]

[MonBon replaced badge name for Listeners. It is Thankful Heart]

[7CupsCommunity modified description of Strong Bond 1 for clarity]

SpellbinderBel November 11th, 2019

@GlenM

What a terrible idea. Who thought that removing the open support (that a lot of people including myself) rely on? Has anyone even considered how basically cutting off the only support a number of people have is going to effect them? You aren't trying to force people to pay for therapy... Are you? Because that would be pretty vile.

secretSummer5576 November 12th, 2019

@TwilightFox Especially because this is a resource used by many who cannot afford 1-on-1 in person private therapy, or are waiting for publicly funded therapy. I haven't been here long, but after reading what others are saying about this room consolidation, I miss it even though I was never a part of it! It would have been something I really could have benefitted from, I think.

melliotm November 16th, 2019

@TwilightFox Of course he is this is entirely about revenue or lack thereof. The safety spin is a smokescreen. Also ducking out after dropping this pipe bomb and leaving the mess for volunteers to clean up (hope grandma's feeling better btw Glen) is astoundingly unprofessional and cowardly.

Redheadbaker7206 November 12th, 2019

@GlenM

This was a terrible idea.

ReclusiveReptile November 16th, 2019

@GlenM all along I'd been thinking there needed to be more support rooms, custom rooms even so that members could take a private conversation elsewhere just like with listeners (i often find members more supportive and understanding when they share the same issues). Instead of trying to protect people by hiding the rooms and making fewer rooms, why not just make it easier to get rid of the problem? Like a 3 strikes and you're out rule where after 3 flags it removes that person altogether? I don't particularly have a problem with rules that make it take a while before rooms can be accessed, this at least prevents trolls from easily getting in with any new account, but the fact that there's just 4 rooms. Rooms have a maximum capacity, whether you want to accept it or not, and that's the limit of reading speed. Once there's too many people talking, people leave, usually silently. For me, that limit is about 3-4 people talking at once. Anything more and i can't keep up. Please don't think that a statistic showing an average of 20 people per room is a sign of room health when that means the could be 50 people who took one look at the number of people and gave up that aren't represented. Please don't sum people's behaviors up in statistics and think that's the whole picture. Know that a lot of people have just one room as their home and new family, even if it's a small home and small family who they can no longer find. Please give us back our homes.

BlackheartArin December 2nd, 2019

@GlenM I'll be honest, 1-on-1 chats don't work for me. They always feel like the listeners are given a set list of responses to give and it's hard for me to connect with them. I used the group chats to get my issue out then continue with some casual conversation so I can distract from my problems just a little bit. (I haven't been diagnosed with OCD, but I do have obsessive tendencies with my issues, the distraction cuts off the bad thoughts and lets me function again.)

In fact, I came to the app today in order to voice an issue I have in a group chat. It seems I can't do that now.

AffyAvo November 6th, 2019

@GlenM

I don't see how this will help with more support. When everyone is getting support in one room it loses any focus and many aren't understanding. I was there when there were only a few rooms.

We know you may have questions, especially if you are on a volunteer support team (group support teams read more here). frown

Read more WHERE?

TortueDesBois November 6th, 2019

@AffyAvo i was already room supporter on a popup room, so it will not be change for me. the rooms will open when mods are in the room and then the room supporters will can help in there. just that the rooms that are currently 24/7 will become popups.

yasshunnyqueen November 6th, 2019

@AffyAvo exactly! it gives away from the focus to take away the categorized rooms. it will only create more overwhelm and anxiety if there are one or two larger chats where everyone is discussing random topics. the chats will get flooded and not everybody's concerns will be tended to or given support.

November 6th, 2019

@yasshunnyqueen I've already had something similar happen already, I've been talking about my problem then someone else comes in with a problem then someone else so on so on, then most get drowned out,...

November 7th, 2019

@yasshunnyqueen This is going to take some adjustment time and I understand that is difficult. Our hope is that the focus is not on the general rooms but on the topic rooms as they open and that we will gear a strong volunteer force to make that happen.

MistyMagic November 6th, 2019

@GlenM These are some interesting changes, I particularly like the changes to the Listener Rooms.

Sending my very best wishes to your grandmother for a speedy recovery.

Listening .... One Step At A Time

@MistyMagic Thanks for sharing that.

Unpaid people should not be needing to do that though. This was planned, Thinking Space just disappeared without any announcement and no one would say anything about it for over 24 hours other than "we are investigating".

The least that could be done was a proof read before posting such a major change.

November 6th, 2019

@AffyAvo I understand that this is a difficult change and many of our teams that have been pop up have had this already. 7Cups is a volunteer community. We are here to facilitate the amazing work our volunteers are doing and we will continue to do that. This is not and expectation we are laying on volunteers. We are giving them the opportunity to use the rooms as much as they would like to while ensuring users are safe.

@Lorraine234 Yet a volunteer came in with the link before any of the paid staff did.

Look at all the changes that have happened to the OP in the first few hours. None of the member badges were correct with the initial announcement.

It would also be really useful to see the criteria for the badges. I have been here a long time and do not have hopeful heart.

I looked through the member reputation, and I don't see it there. I see a hopeful heart level - but I'm well past that, I can't go back. There have been numerous issues with badges. I have been asking for years to get everything I have earned and that still hasn't happened. The badge glitches should be fixed before requiring them.

Jill7Cups November 6th, 2019

@AffyAvo we will look into the issue with that badge- but agree we should add the criteria. Will add shortly, thank you!

fearlessWriter78 November 6th, 2019

@Jill7Cups Along the lines of what Affy said, I contacted Support & Feedback and emailed community@7cups.com regarding me not receiving my Wise One badge and never heard back from anyone. Please advise.

versatilePerson1717 November 6th, 2019

@Jill7Cups

im a member and I have both required badges.... I'm wondering if there is a glitch or something of that sort. Thank you sm in advance

@versatilePerson1717 thanks we will look- and appreciate your patience.

Mel November 6th, 2019

@AffyAvo Hey Affy! Good question.

Listener badges: Tick Tock ("for reaching reaching ten 1-on-1 chats"), 5 positive chats (this is a new badge)

Member badges: 7 day streak ("for completing a step on the Growth path for 7 consecutive days"), Hopeful heart (I assume it's reaching that cheer level).

All this info has been taken from the FAQ on badges and cheers (member one here and listener one here)

@Mel And the 7 day streak badge has already been decided to be something else!

Confident Voice - for leaving text reviews for 5 Listeners

I still am currently missing the Honest Voice badge, which is before this, so it appears this series is part of the glitch.

Jackpot1066 November 8th, 2019

@Mel

Can you clarify what a

Jackpot1066 November 8th, 2019

@Mel

Can you clarify what a

@AffyAvo *helpful heart. Apologies for the typo. 50 compassion hearts so you should def have it.

(Tazzie replaced badge description )

SparkyGizmo November 6th, 2019

@GlenM

New here so maybe a silly question? What does 5 positive chats mean? Maybe 5 positive reviews? I have 20 chats currently that I felt were very positive, 4 people helped, and 3 positive reviews. Probably doesn't mean a whole lot right now for me anyway as I am not verified as of yet.

@SparkyGizmo

oops, 5 people helped

OpenWindow November 6th, 2019

@SparkyGizmo Well, if you'd ever need a positive review, I am active in leaving reviews when I believe a chat was good :)! So we can have a chat (perhaps next week, this week I am a bit hectic and a bit of a handful I'd admit)

@OpenWindow

That sounds terrific! Thank you so very much for thinking of me!heart I surely will do my very best for you. smiley I care for all of my members, I only take one chat at time so that my member has 100% of my focus, I choose to work from a lap top as opposed to a phone as to not have a phone near me ergo no distractions at all, I set chat times for 45 minutes, and doing it this way it appears as if from looking at my profile page, that 1 person helped=4 to 5 actual chats as I respond quickly. Just depends on how quickly my member likes to respond. I'm not saying this is the right way to do things, I imagine every listener is different and might be able to handle multi-tasking. If so, I think it is great that they are much more talented that I.

I look forward to spending time with you! Thank you for choosing to spend your time with me! I'm really excited and whenever you are in need of a great chat, I'll be there for you!

warmheartedTurtle6662 November 6th, 2019

@GlenM

Hi. I hope your gran is well.

Will listener chats stay the same? I have a listener. Will i be able to chat with them the same?

7CupsCommunity November 6th, 2019

@warmheartedTurtle6662

This update does not affect 1-on-1's

@7CupsCommunity

thank you. Do i have the badges to go in the member rooms?

@7CupsCommunity

i have helpful heart not hopeful heart. I have the other badge

Tazzie November 6th, 2019

@warmheartedTurtle6662

You have the badges!!!

@Tazzie

thank you 💜

Tazzie November 6th, 2019

@warmheartedTurtle6662

You are very welcome.

7CupsCommunity November 7th, 2019

@warmheartedTurtle6662

Apologies for the confusion. This has been updated in the main post.

lilmango November 6th, 2019

@warmheartedTurtle6662

seems to be so at least for now turt. Hugs miss you hun

@lilmango

Hi mango. I miss you too. I hope you